The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

7 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

OK, so we are in the second year of this pandemic and we still have shortages everywhere. I really want to know why?

The drug in question is one that is critical for other life-saving operations. By using it solely for COVID patients, you're taking the drug away from other patients who have a non-COVID related medical condition and depend on it. 

I'm also assuming the benefits of this drug for COVID treatment was a recent discovery by the medical community, so production hasn't caught up yet. There are also not that many companies who manufacture this drug (I suspect that this is the case because the drug was used for a very specific type of treatment - not COVID-related). 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Hindsight is 20/20. 

I wonder how many of us would have been absolutely pissed off with the government shutting things down to such a degree - myself included. 

OK, so people get pissed off, then what?  Typically this results in nothing but social media complaining - it's not hindsight, it's typically what happens when governments make decisions the general public doesn't like.  The VAST majority of the time actions do not go beyond complaining.  The government knew this, but made the decision to simply 'hope' that people would comply with their suggestions which, to me anyway, just affirms to me that the majority of decision makers at that level are totally out of touch with regular society.  Call me a pessimist, but I knew from day 1 that if governments were opening the door to people to do this or that (including travel/eating out/ gyms/ect....) - they WOULD and they would do it in numbers. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56729607

looks like SA variant is taking a grip in London, so probable spread across rest of UK with the next few weeks with the country starting to open back up 

Twenty-three cases of the South African variant were detected in the care home - 13 staff and 10 residents.

Six of the 10 residents infected had received one dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine two or more weeks before their positive test date.

One of the 13 infected staff had a single Pfizer vaccine dose two or more weeks before their positive test.

The timing may raise questions about the vaccination of care home workers at a time when the government is considering making the jab mandatory for that group.

Other clusters related to the first outbreak were detected at two primary schools in Wandsworth.

Also remember one vaccine shot doesn’t fully protect

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Thanks 1

Got my first dose of Pfizer vaccine today, next one is in 3 weeks.

The whole thing was very well organized and it took less than 5 minutes to get it done.

• Hydration 3
10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Got my first dose of Pfizer vaccine today, next one is in 3 weeks.

The whole thing was very well organized and it took less than 5 minutes to get it done.

Did they give your 2nd appointment when you got your first jab? We go on Monday. 

• Hydration 1
Just now, Boudrias said:

Did they give your 2nd appointment when you got your first jab? We go on Monday. 

Yes, today when I went in they gave me a paper that says my next appointment is already scheduled for 5/4.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Yes, today when I went in they gave me a paper that says my next appointment is already scheduled for 5/4.

Where do you live?  BC?

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There's treatment for it. Early detection is important. While it's mostly in people <50 yo, be vigilant day 4-16 after vaccination. Any new headaches, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, leg pain, or new bruises other than injection site, should promptly. seek medical evaluation. 

Big picture, risk from covid far exceeds the vaccine risk in ages 55+.  

Screenshot_20210413-161303~2.png

Edited by Jaimito
  • Hydration 2

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-update-dec-1-1.5985707

873 cases.

2 deaths.

:(

At least the daily number is dropping.

377 people in hospital, and 117 in Intensive Care.

Premier Horgan says:

"We've not taken anything off the table, but practicality is first and foremost in our mind," said Horgan. "We will use the tools that are available to us if we believe they are effective, but deployment of those tools is a challenge. We haven't taken travel restrictions off the board, quite frankly."

The premier said Henry will provide any update of possible new restrictions Thursday during a briefing where the province's latest COVID-19 modelling data will be presented.

Horgan said he's troubled by the recent COVID-19 case counts in B.C. and is looking to Thursday's release of information for a better sense of where the province stands.

COVID-19: Most unvaccinated Canadians uncomfortable with AstraZeneca shot, poll shows (msn.com)

The majority of unvaccinated Canadians say they are uncomfortable with the idea of receiving the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, according to a online survey from Angus Reid.

Canadian provinces, acting on a recommendation from Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI), suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in people under age 55 last month after new data from Europe suggested the risk of blood clots is now potentially as high as one in 100,000 compared to the one in one million risk previously believed.

The news has had a significant impact on the public’s confidence in the vaccine with just 41 per cent of poll respondents saying they would be comfortable receiving the AstraZeneca jab.

Of the 54 per cent who responded they would be uncomfortable receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine, 23 per cent said they would reject the brand outright.

There has been no reports of blood clot incidents in people who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine in Canada and health authorities maintain the vaccine is safe and effective.

Poll respondents did not have the same concerns with the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Pfizer scored 92 per cent on the comfort scale while Moderna was just two points behind at 90 per cent. Meanwhile, Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot vaccine, which has been approved in Canada but isn’t expect to arrive here until the end of April, was viewed favourably by 70 per cent of respondents.

Screenshot (6360).png

Edited by DonLever
20 minutes ago, DonLever said:

COVID-19: Most unvaccinated Canadians uncomfortable with AstraZeneca shot, poll shows (msn.com)

The majority of unvaccinated Canadians say they are uncomfortable with the idea of receiving the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, according to a online survey from Angus Reid.

Canadian provinces, acting on a recommendation from Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI), suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in people under age 55 last month after new data from Europe suggested the risk of blood clots is now potentially as high as one in 100,000 compared to the one in one million risk previously believed.

The news has had a significant impact on the public’s confidence in the vaccine with just 41 per cent of poll respondents saying they would be comfortable receiving the AstraZeneca jab.

Of the 54 per cent who responded they would be uncomfortable receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine, 23 per cent said they would reject the brand outright.

There has been no reports of blood clot incidents in people who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine in Canada and health authorities maintain the vaccine is safe and effective.

Poll respondents did not have the same concerns with the vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Pfizer scored 92 per cent on the comfort scale while Moderna was just two points behind at 90 per cent. Meanwhile, Johnson & Johnson’s one-shot vaccine, which has been approved in Canada but isn’t expect to arrive here until the end of April, was viewed favourably by 70 per cent of respondents.

Screenshot (6360).png

the blood clot rates in AZ are far far far lower than on the use of birth control.  It's a non issue, imo

• Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, stawns said:

the blood clot rates in AZ are far far far lower than on the use of birth control.  It's a non issue, imo

I agree.  I was actually surprised at how high the rate is for birth control.  I guess the good news, out of our 44 million doses by June, not that many are AZ.  If 40% are still cool with it, then it will get used up.  

• Vintage 1