The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

I'll never forget the people whose chose not to wear a mask in our condo building or in public and I am sure I am not the only one.  Selfish mofos.  Oh and Horgan go get your Astra shot, don't blow this for us.

• Vintage 1

I'm not sure if it's still recommended that the booster shot be the same manufacturer as the initial vaccine, but if that has changed, I would get the AZ without hesitation. (Initial dose was Pfizer)

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Apparently Moderna vaccine shipments have been inconsistent. Pharmacies are starting to use AZ to compensate for the delays, but there are concerns that people might walk away when they get to the clinic and find out they're getting the AZ vaccine. 

Pfizer shipments have been reliable and consistent. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
14 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Apparently Moderna vaccine shipments have been inconsistent. Pharmacies are starting to use AZ to compensate for the delays, but there are concerns that people might walk away when they get to the clinic and find out they're getting the AZ vaccine. 

Pfizer shipments have been reliable and consistent. 

Then they should be shuffled to the end of the process

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Not so much the refrigeration requirement. More with the similar platform (adenovirus vector). It remains to be seen if it is also present in the Sputnik V or CanSino vaccines, which also use adenovirus vectors.  Inactivated whole virus vaccines like SinoVac haven't shown this signal. That vaccine is stored in regular fridges too. 

One speculation in terms of mechanism is release of free DNA in broken vectors, and free DNA may induce the pro clotting antibodies. This suggest that it can be dose dependent. I looked at the # of viral particles per dose: AZ 3·5–6·5 × 10exp10 viral particles per dose. Sputnik 10exp11. Janssen 5 x 10exp10. CanSino 5 x 10exp10. All similar, except Sputnik had the most per dose.   

I doubt where Sputnik or CanSino are used will be as transparent with the rare side effects. 

The rate is so rare (health canada est 4/million) that it is obviously not the only factor. There are likely cofactors in the recipient that allows this condition to develop.  It will be helpful to define the risk factors so that vaccine may be tailored to certain population and help restore public confidence. This is a manageable risk, in that it is treatable and both drs and patients are aware of it. 

Just last night, I saw CT and ultrasound orders for anxious patients who had vague symptoms after getting the JJ vaccine. All negative studies. I suspect this will be the trend going forward. 

Health Canada said NACI is meeting today to discuss if AZ will be recommended for 35+. UK is doing 30+ now. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/news/2021/04/health-canada-provides-update-on-safety-review-of-astrazeneca-and-covishield-covid-19-vaccines.html

Well I'm basing it off of the 4 vaccines that are approved right now, Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J. Two of them need to be kept in freezing temperatures those haven't had blood clot issues. Yet the two that don't need to be kept in freezing temperature have had blood clots related issues. Definitely seems fishy even if you say not so much, kind of hard to ignore that with the ones that are kept in cold temperatures.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If it wasn't that big of an issue why have other countries stopped using it....

Politics

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I got shot today.

12:15 pm Astro. waited for about 15 minutes afterwards.

2 sheets of info regarding possible short term side affects and several paragraphs regarding the totally minimal risk of blood clots.

The blood clot issue is to be watched for around the 4 - 16 day mark. But at a 1 in 2,000,000 chance, how unlucky do you have to be?

Should note those are just the odds of getting a clot, not the odds of severe harm occurring due to clots, which is even way less than 1 in 2 mill.

With 37.9 million people in Canada less than 80 will have complications, if every one got the AZ.

meanwhile 23,431 people have died of covid, and not everybody in Canada will actually get covid.

I'm not a math expert, but even I can see the difference in numbers.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
7 minutes ago, gurn said:

I got shot today.

2 sheets of info regarding possible short term side affects and several paragraphs regarding the totally minimal risk of blood clots.

The blood clot issue is to be watched for around the 4 - 16 day mark. But at a 1 in 2,000,000 chance, how unlucky do you have to be?

Should note those are just the odds of getting a clot, not the odds of severe harm occurring due to clots, which is even way less than 1 in 2 mill.

With 37.9 million people in Canada less than 80 will have complications, if every one got the AZ.

meanwhile 23,431 people have died of covid, and not everybody in Canada will actually get covid.

Take a birth control pill, your odds of a blood clot will skyrocket compared to the vaccine.

Just scare tactics by the media for clicks.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well I'm basing it off of the 4 vaccines that are approved right now, Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and J&J. Two of them need to be kept in freezing temperatures those haven't had blood clot issues. Yet the two that don't need to be kept in freezing temperature have had blood clots related issues. Definitely seems fishy even if you say not so much, kind of hard to ignore that with the ones that are kept in cold temperatures.

Not fishy at all. When vaccines are thawed for use they are all room temperature.  Besides, SinoVac and Novavax don't need freezing either, and no reports of these types of blood clots. If you trust Sputnik V or CanSino, no reports of those adverse events either. Flu vaccines and pretty much most every other vaccines in use today do not require those freezing temp. In fact, the freezing temp is pretty much unique for one mRNA vaccines, Pfizer at - 70. Moderna is ok at - 20C. 

Only 3/16 here must require -20-50C storage. 

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/immunizations/Practice-Management/Pages/vaccine-storage-chart.aspx

Edited by Jaimito
5 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Take a birth control pill, your odds of a blood clot will skyrocket compared to the vaccine.

Just scare tactics by the media for clicks.

or smoke

or get covid

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

ust remember before you pick a side when there was a shortage of masks last year our Canada government told us masks weren't mandatory....

You mean when they were worried that people in the hospitals would not have enough ppe for hospital use?

I remember that.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gurn said:

You mean when they were worried that people working in the hospitals would not have enough ppe for hospital use?

I remember that.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

You mean when they were worried that people in the hospitals would not have enough ppe for hospital use?

I remember that.

Yes correct but still to tell your public masks won't help you just so they can do that, and people are supposed to believe what they tell you... So we shouldn't be wearing masks anymore then.

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

I got shot today.

I think it's not just luck. It's better to think of it as manageable risk.  

Like anaphylaxis risk. 5/million and potentially lethal. That is why you are observed for 15 mins. All vaccination sites need to have meds and training to treat it. It's a manageable risk and for most in the public a tolerable risk.

The potential for VITT or VIPIT is 4/million as estimated by Health Canada.  They have a test for it and it is treatable. Now with awareness by both the public and providers, it will help early detection and appropriate treatment. 

• Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes correct but still to tell your public masks won't help you just so they can do that, and people are supposed to believe what they tell you... So we shouldn't be wearing masks anymore then.

You'd prefer that the authorities stick with what they first said, and not update as new info comes available.?

Hi Canucks,

Sometimes, people forget that hockey players are people.  As a Canucks fan, with two kids who are fans, too, I just wanted to say a few words that may not often be said.  My kids and myself look up to the Canucks, because of the way they play the game.  The Canucks players represent many of the values that I try to instill in my kids: hard work, creative play, teamwork, kindness, process focus, but goal orientation, professionalism, respect everyone, sacrifice for others, and give to your team and community.  In the Canucks, especially through their leaders (both past - thank you Sedins, Bieksa, Linden, Smyl, et al and present- their favorites are Bo, Peetie, and Hugsie-bear - mine are Motte and Miller), we really have a connection to you all.  Our family wishes each of you the best of health and feel sad that you have to go through recovering from the disease.  We wish health and happiness for your families, too.  Recover quickly and you will hear us in the stands soon, I hope, but maybe for now we will hope you hear us through the TV (we certainly try).  You are part of our home and we thank you for how you have done so far.  Keep at it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Adam (Dad- Coach Socks), Kaiden (9), and Sam (11) Wightman - North Vancouver

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2