The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree....I feel that the variants and how the demographics are changing would have resulted in  a rethink of it all.

Agreed , Deb. New variants are  targeting younger folks. In my company all 40+ old have registered for a shot in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Instead of using age as the primary determinant of vaccine priority, the PHO should have been using risk of spread as the key factor in deployment of the vaccine.  Sure, age makes sense from the perspective of those who are in assisted living and care facilities being the highest risk, but once you're dealing with a mobile population, age should no longer be the primary determining factor.

The fact that the variant strains are now demonstrating how younger people are now the ones becoming more sick and in need of attention should have been a warning sign that the age-based plan isn't/wasn't going to work effectively.  Add in the fact that the HAs initially didn't want to (or perhaps they were too ignorant to) provide neighbourhood positivity statistics (there are ways to share this info without divulging personal information or identifying specific people) only tells me that they really have n.f.c. what they're doing.

They should have given priority to vaccinate those who have public-interfacing jobs - teachers, bus drivers, grocery store personnel, hospital/medical and dental clinic staff and practioners (including home care staff), service-oriented jobs, first responders, etc. - after the elderly living in institutions have received their dosages.  They did at least give priority to some rural communities where outbreaks were happening and where the indigenous population was significantly high; where health care services were/are relatively poor or non-existent, so I'll give them that.  However, if it weren't for the AZ "clot" concerns, I doubt our PHO would have changed their approach on vaccine deployment and would have stuck dogmatically to the age-based approach.

I just hope someone can give Dr. H and her team a shiny nickel for them to buy a clue.  :picard:

</rant>

well, "should" is a word we can use a few times over the last year. We utterly failed our seniors in Canada. I hate that the variants are targeting younger people, I have a 21 year old daughter, but its not like we've had the vaccines in enough quantities to make decisions away from age-based priorities until now. 

Will be interesting to see how this is enforced, where I live on the Sunshine Coast this past weekend our population essentially doubled, the roads were quite packed with those recreational vehicles and campers that are said to be targeted by BC Ferries now.

For a small-ish community it is fairly easy to tell when and where the swell of visitors vs locals is so will be interesting to see how this changes. Last summer was not much different than normal here in terms of outside population, campers, recreational vehicles and boats.

People complain, feel rights are infringed upon well we've had a year to be responsible citizens and too many just don't get it or care to so what are we to expect. Something needs to be done as the vaccines roll out and complacency unfortunately that comes with it.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Will be interesting to see how this is enforced, where I live on the Sunshine Coast this past weekend our population essentially doubled, the roads were quite packed with those recreational vehicles and campers that are said to be targeted by BC Ferries now.

For a small-ish community it is fairly easy to tell when and where the swell of visitors vs locals is so will be interesting to see how this changes. Last summer was not much different than normal here in terms of outside population, campers, recreational vehicles and boats.

People complain, feel rights are infringed upon well we've had a year to be responsible citizens and too many just don't get it or care to so what are we to expect. Something needs to be done as the vaccines roll out and complacency unfortunately that comes with it.

Is the recreational vehicle ban going to be used for the Sunshine Coast routes?  Its all Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.  

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

A lot of common sense is needed. I mean you are not going to spread or catch a virus by driving to a lake, spending time outdoors by yourself or with family.  But enough people don't apply what we have known for a year by continuing to swap air indoors with strangers (gas station stores, rest rooms etc), or people outside the bubble etc.  Congregate in close distance without masks outdoor etc (like that beach party over the weekend).  My parents will go to a park and take group photos with 4-5 other friends without a mask.  What's wrong with that, they ask? 

No wonder the government has to act like an adult and tell people what to do.  

I felt like this government is finally starting to get it, at least a little bit.  People ren't listening to you, they are scoffing in your face........the time for expecting BC'ers to "do the right thing" is over

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

Is the recreational vehicle ban going to be used for the Sunshine Coast routes?  Its all Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.  

I think they're still hoping for people to use common sense.  Don't travel very far from home for non essential purposes is the message

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Amaneey said:

I think the intent behind restricting movement between health regions is just to discourage unnecessary travel.

I cannot comprehend why people insist on finding loopholes, like the reporter today asking if people on the Island can travel from Victoria to Tofino... The spirit of all this is to limit leisure travel and limiting spread of the virus. How isn't it just common sense that hey maybe I shouldnt travel 2 hours away for fun?

what people seem to not get is that these small communities often don't have hospitals or any medial infrastructure needed to care for them if they get sick.  Or, it's not their community so they simply don't care

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm 35+.  If I apply for the vaccine online tomorrow, it's going to be AZ, correct?

yup, my gf just signed up.  Though I got the Pfizer this weekend, I wouldn't have hesitated getting the AZ.

I'm 35+.  If I apply for the vaccine online tomorrow, it's going to be AZ, correct?

Nobody really knows.  40+ can get AZ.  Maybe in a week or two they lower the age again.  Otherwise the Pfizer by age.  

The health minister in Alberta was asked why 40+.  Looks like the reason for that is partially limited supply.  So Maybe since we are using it quickly again the Americans can let us have some of the AZ they have sitting. 

Just now, BCNeil said:

Nobody really knows.  40+ can get AZ.  Maybe in a week or two they lower the age again.  Otherwise the Pfizer by age.  

The health minister in Alberta was asked why 40+.  Looks like the reason for that is partially limited supply.  So Maybe since we are using it quickly again the Americans can let us have some of the AZ they have sitting. 

Sounds like it's worth signing up in hopes that is Pfizer then.  Don't want AZ and don't want to waste anyone's time.

Sounds like it's worth signing up in hopes that is Pfizer then.  Don't want AZ and don't want to waste anyone's time.

Yeah just register online.  When your age come up it will be Pfizer or possible Moderna.  For 35 it won't be your turn to actually book a date for another few weeks.  If in the meantime they lower the age to get AZ, you can always get it if you want.  

I got the Astro last Wed., hoping that in  about 3-4 months my next shot will be Pfizer or Moderna.

By that time a lot moreresearch on cmbining these vacs. will be available.

It is my belief, but I'll wait for research to show, that having 2 differents types( not just brands), will be a better protection.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I got the Astro last Wed., hoping that in  about 3-4 months my next shot will be Pfizer or Moderna.

By that time a lot more  research on combining these vacs. will be available.

It is my belief, but I'll wait for research to show, that having 2 differents types( not just brands), will be a better protection.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

By that time a lot moreresearch on cmbining these vacs. will be available.

Sort of like mixing booze gets your drunker ;)

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Both my older sisters got appointments for AZ this week.  Was a bit tricky, lot of places booked up quickly, which is a good sign.  

It is going super fast.  I have access to the online registration because I am CEV, but have to wait a bit longer before my physician recommends I get my shot, due to drug timing.  

So I can check out how fast the appointments are going.  I don't know if they sent out invitation letters to all the 40+ people in the hot zones.  Or when they sent them.

The drive through clinic in Surrey had about 600 appointments a day from the 22nd to the 29th earlier today, all gone now.  Every once in awhile one will pop up, then be gone again.

The two walk in clinics in Surrey still have quite a bit.  

It looks like first come first served, so anyone in the province 40+ and want it, better book right away.  About a million people in BC from 40-55.  

Edited by BCNeil
  • Upvote 2