The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

every bureaucracy has a certain amount of inherent constipation when it comes to almost anything but collecting taxes. 

I'm pretty happy to see that it looks like we have a real shot at developing at least one Canadian produced vaccine platform. If we come out of this with that, at least some of the grief was worth something. 

It will all be forgot when it's over we had one place for sure that was a made in bc response.Federal government needs to step in and have this kind of thing brought in house.It shows we really have no allies when things get thick.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Yes, on this part for sure, I guess the last flight got in this morning from India. People in the YVR lineup were saying all the right things, about isolating etc., will they do it? As a few have mentioned in other posts, the numbers of Alberta, Washington State???? and others from out of Province, in the Okanagan, I wonder if we'll ever get out of this. Then you have the restaurant on the West Side holding a rally. One of the protesters/anti masker was telling the Global reporter to tell the real story?!?

My wife and I haven't gone to dine at any restaurants at all during this pandemic, when it ends, Corduroy restaurant will be one we chose to go to. I doubt they'll be in business anyway, so I won't lose any sleep over them closing. Restaurants have been one of the highest contributors of the viral spread, any wonder why?

Don't know why you would want to go there regardless.  The restaurant could serve Michelin star quality food at burger king prices and I still wouldn't support them.  They were just a hangout for covididiots and anti maskers.  Wouldn't have surprised me one bit if they were stretching the laws when restaurants were open.  People like her should never be given a business license ever again.  

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Don't know why you would want to go there regardless.  The restaurant could serve Michelin star quality food at burger king prices and I still wouldn't support them.  They were just a hangout for covididiots and anti maskers.  Wouldn't have surprised me one bit if they were stretching the laws when restaurants were open.  People like her should never be given a business license ever again.  

I just realized I meant to say NOT to go to. I will never support any of these so-called business owners.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Does anyone know what the penalty is for using fake test results to enter Canada because I have a few suggestions. 

"Bad person, we will give you a 2nd and 3rd and 4th chance, but after that we will come down hard punishments"

10 hours ago, Violator said:

It will all be forgot when it's over we had one place for sure that was a made in bc response.Federal government needs to step in and have this kind of thing brought in house.It shows we really have no allies when things get thick.

It will be a waste of money when vaccines aren't needed in two years but whatever, we are all faced to waste our money on whatever the government chooses every year anyway.. If every Canadian gives up $1000 a year we can produce useless vaccines all we want. It wouldn't surprise me. Totally reactionary and useless, in my opinion.

Our money would be better spent taking care of actual sick people.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • RoughGame 2
2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It will be a waste of money when vaccines aren't needed in two years but whatever, we are all faced to waste our money on whatever the government chooses every year anyway.. If every Canadian gives up $1000 a year we can produce useless vaccines all we want. It wouldn't surprise me. Totally reactionary and useless, in my opinion.

Why won’t variants continue to manifest? What comes next?

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

? we have the need for a number of different vaccines every year. Whats the problem with making them in Canada? 

• Vintage 1
5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

? we have the need for a number of different vaccines every year. Whats the problem with making them in Canada? 

I agree in principle however the simple answer is cost.

in a non pandemic environment where the global economy isn’t Borked it would be cheaper and more efficient use of tax payer money to import them from larger producers.

that said though there is benefit to having them done in house, along with the jobs and expertise it brings to an area. However the question is - would it be financially competitive to have the production in Canada? 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Which ones do we need? Enough to completely change our country manufacturing program? Won't that just make us really poor, which is why we don't do it in the first place? The whole world is running out of Covid vaccines, it's not like like this is a political problem or anything.

Like I said I don't really care what the government spends our money on, I have no say anyway. I think it would be better spent on water, building materials, infrastructure, education, and daily healthcare though. You do realize we're going to have to make major concessions to make that happen right? Does it really accomplish anything, we weren't running out of vaccines before Covid ... were we?

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Which ones do we need? Enough to completely change our country manufacturing program? Won't that just make us really poor, which is why we don't do it in the first place? The whole world is running out of Covid vaccines, it's not like like this is a political problem or anything.

Like I said I don't really care what the government spends our money on, I have no say anyway. I think it would be better spent on water, building materials, infrastructure, education, and daily healthcare though. You do realize we're going to have to make major concessions to make that happen right? Does it really accomplish anything, we weren't running out of vaccines before Covid ... were we?

but this is the kind of thinking that left us at the whim of Trump. Its also not an either-or situation. Its not vaccine production vs. education. 

• Vintage 1
4 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I agree in principle however the simple answer is cost.

in a non pandemic environment where the global economy isn’t Borked it would be cheaper and more efficient use of tax payer money to import them from larger producers.

that said though there is benefit to having them done in house, along with the jobs and expertise it brings to an area. However the question is - would it be financially competitive to have the production in Canada? 

those cheaper drugs come at the cost of our internal health capacity and independence, and retaining high tech industries in Canada. 

We haven't seen the full costs yet either, but somehow I doubt Moderna is cutting Canada a deal, e.g. 

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Case drop in Prince Rupert is encouraging. 

It is and I'd guess it's because almost all of us old folks have had our initial shot.

Still, in light of the reports of younger people being more susceptible to the mutant strains, coupled with the fact that many of the 20 somethings still haven't gotten their shots is cause for concern. We're not anywhere near ready to take our foot off the brake here on the North Coast....

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I disagree.

Two years ago, your argument would have made sense.....but now we know these novel viruses can come out of the blue. What makes us think that when Covid 19 is no longer an issue, we won't be dealing with Covid 23 or 24 down the road?

I think Jimmy's argument is on point: If we had the manufacturing capability that the Americans do, we'd be much further ahead on Covid 19 and much better prepared to deal with future epidemics, or even pandemics.

In regards to your last paragraph, I'm of the opinion that it's preferable to try and prevent illness, rather than treat it...

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but this is the kind of thinking that left us at the whim of Trump. Its also not an either-or situation. Its not vaccine production vs. education. 

I guess we disagree there. I think it kind of is. Why don't just make everything then while we're at it if it's so cheap and easy?

Just because Trump is an idiot it doesn't mean we need to blow our load fixing something that doesn't need fixing.

Anyways, cheers Jimmy. Take care and have a good day. I just learned my friend's brother just died of Covid. I've got to go help him finish mudding and painting a house for his client so he can fly to Vancouver to be with his mother tonight. :wacko:

Stay safe everyone.

• Huggy Bear 3
8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I disagree.

Two years ago, your argument would have made sense.....but now we know these novel viruses can come out of the blue. What makes us think that when Covid 19 is no longer an issue, we won't be dealing with Covid 23 or 24 down the road?

I think Jimmy's argument is on point: If we had the manufacturing capability that the Americans do, we'd be much further ahead on Covid 19 and much better prepared to deal with future epidemics, or even pandemics.

In regards to your last paragraph, I'm of the opinion that it's preferable to try and prevent illness, rather than treat it...

Also, who says we can't be an net exporter of vaccines ourselves?  Not every country wants to deal with the US.  We could, with the help of the UK supply all the commonwealth countries.  These viruses are here to stay just like there will always be Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes etc..  

• Hydration 2