The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

15 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Together we're Phazed, :metal:. I am having a beer to celebrate. I had to drive 1 hour to get it.

You had to drive an hour to get a beer?

Damn, that is truly living in the middle of nowhere, have you considered moving?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Came across this article this morning; 

(This idea coming out of the case of the guy having the penthouse parties)

However, Isabel Grant, a professor at the University of British Columbia’s Peter A. Allard school of law, urged caution when charging a person with manslaughter.

“I think it’s technically possible that the Crown could substantiate a manslaughter charge but I think it’s highly unlikely,” Prof. Grant said. “I’m just not sure that that really gets us very far.”

Prof. Grant said it would also be a “very difficult thing” to prove where a person contracted the virus. “So, showing beyond a reasonable doubt that that person got COVID in that room is going to be very challenging for the Crown,” she added.

She said using the criminal law might not be the best tool with which to regulate a public-health emergency. “We have pretty solid public-health legislation, and we have things that could be utilized before we go to thinking about putting people in jail for the transmission of an ilIness

I agree with this, going to be one hell of a case to try that, sounds like some judge trying to flex their status. Better off finding a massive fine, like 100k+ and some jail time instead of sticking them in tax payer funded jail long term. 

These people would go to this party willingly, and if caught should all be paying 5 digits fines. So that 70 person party should all be hit with 10k+ fines. That would shut makeshift clubs down pretty quick. 

Edited by Russ
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

You had to drive an hour to get a beer?

Damn, that is truly living in the middle of nowhere, have you considered moving?

I like the seclusion. I mix maple syrup and rusty nails. It doesn't taste good but it does the trick. :gocan: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

if i intentionally sleep with someone and give them aids/hiv i can be charged with a similar offence.

Why not ?

In my opinion the government should just appropriate this jackasses assets to pay for the medical bills of those he potentially infects.  I personally think this should be the outright case for all of these idiots.  I despise the government overreach I feel is encroaching on things after a year of this with their wishy washy do this but it's ok to do over here but don't do that because you can do it here instead nonsense

But if they want this to be taken seriously start taking it seriously

Walking or cabbing across the border to ensure you don't have to quarantine, immediate revoking of your passport for 2 years.  $10,000 fine.  stage 1 DUI

Personal gatherings of this nature:  $10,00 fine first offence with stage 1 DUI.  Second offence $25,000 fine stage 2 DUI and so on

Restaurants flouting laws.  Immediate revoking of business license and cutting of utilities for 2 weeks first offence.  Second offence $10,00 fine and a stage 2 DUI

Religious entities:  IMMEDIATE revoking of tax free status first offence.  Second offence $25,000 stage 2 DUI

For all of the above, potential charges regarding harm to person and should be on the hook for potential medical costs as well.

Stop screwing around and make things HURT for these idiots.

You need to run for office. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

if i intentionally sleep with someone and give them aids/hiv i can be charged with a similar offence.

Why not ?

In my opinion the government should just appropriate this jackasses assets to pay for the medical bills of those he potentially infects.  I personally think this should be the outright case for all of these idiots.  I despise the government overreach I feel is encroaching on things after a year of this with their wishy washy do this but it's ok to do over here but don't do that because you can do it here instead nonsense

But if they want this to be taken seriously start taking it seriously

Walking or cabbing across the border to ensure you don't have to quarantine, immediate revoking of your passport for 2 years.  $10,000 fine.  stage 1 DUI

Personal gatherings of this nature:  $10,00 fine first offence with stage 1 DUI.  Second offence $25,000 fine stage 2 DUI and so on

Restaurants flouting laws.  Immediate revoking of business license and cutting of utilities for 2 weeks first offence.  Second offence $10,00 fine and a stage 2 DUI

Religious entities:  IMMEDIATE revoking of tax free status first offence.  Second offence $25,000 stage 2 DUI

For all of the above, potential charges regarding harm to person and should be on the hook for potential medical costs as well.

Stop screwing around and make things HURT for these idiots.

I don't know the government encroachment is a bridge too far for me. 

Feels amorale to crush civilians like that at this point when the government - the foundation of responsibility in our society - has fumbled this so badly from the start.

If we are going to do that and punish people severely for a lack of responsibility (which I do agree, that personal responsibility is severely lacking in our society) then politicians should be punished aswell.

In some incidents I agree with severe punishment, like these 70+ person parties happening regularly for example. But at this point I don't know about going the 'get our pound of flesh' route, everyone in society is struggling right now. They should ban travel or even put us into lockdown before that. 

(Or better yet should've from the start)

58 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know the government encroachment is a bridge too far for me. 

Feels amorale to crush civilians like that at this point when the government - the foundation of responsibility in our society - has fumbled this so badly from the start.

If we are going to do that and punish people severely for a lack of responsibility (which I do agree, that personal responsibility is severely lacking in our society) then politicians should be punished aswell.

In some incidents I agree with severe punishment, like these 70+ person parties happening regularly for example. But at this point I don't know about going the 'get our pound of flesh' route, everyone in society is struggling right now. They should ban travel or even put us into lockdown before that. 

(Or better yet should've from the start)

THIS is Trudeau's folly.

This is the wishy washy crap I speak of.

Either enforce quarantine or open it up.  It's utter BS to close the door claiming we don't want dust in our house only to open every gd window behind it

You give people loopholes they'll exploit them and start applying that exploitation to everything else.

Such as 70 person parties etc

https://trib.al/IoTB1Kw

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

THIS is Trudeau's folly.

This is the wishy washy crap I speak of.

Either enforce quarantine or open it up.  It's utter BS to close the door claiming we don't want dust in our house only to open every gd window behind it

You give people loopholes they'll exploit them and start applying that exploitation to everything else.

Such as 70 person parties etc

https://trib.al/IoTB1Kw

I agree completely. They've played the half-assed measures game from the beginning. They set that precedent and now we're basically stuck abiding by it.

Like I've seen indoor athletic facilities open, after the restrictions came down. Yet no law enforcement comes and shuts it down.. 

They treat them like restrictions in the political eye but don't enforce them, and never have.

I think they had a major opportunity at the start, with overwhelming public support, to do a very intense lockdown that would've sucked but been beneficial in the long run, but they didn't. 

And FTR I didn't know about this border loophole, I would be punishing that severely too. Though then again I think travel & accompanying restrictions shouldve been a bigger focus all along. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree completely. They've played the half-assed measures game from the beginning. They set that precedent and now we're basically stuck abiding by it.

Like I've seen indoor athletic facilities open, after the restrictions came down. Yet no law enforcement comes and shuts it down.. 

They treat them like restrictions in the political eye but don't enforce them, and never have.

I think they had a major opportunity at the start, with overwhelming public support, to do a very intense lockdown that would've sucked but been beneficial in the long run, but they didn't. 

And FTR I didn't know about this border loophole, I would be punishing that severely too. Though then again I think travel & accompanying restrictions shouldve been a bigger focus all along. 

Well JT doesn't control any type of lockdown measures beyond borders, really........which they've botched to some degree.  Everything else is provincial of you're looking to point fingers

• Cheers 1

On 4/30/2021 at 6:55 PM, Jaimito said:

Hopefully Canada will follow the UK or Israel curve. 

UK is the most similar in roll out, maximize one dose first (3 months interval). Now about 51% vaccinated with one dose. Israel had lot of doses available and is a small country. 62% at least one dose. 

US went with 3-4 weeks interval and had lots of vaccines.  About 43% now.  But the baseline is still too high.  36,000 cases, 600-700 deaths per day. 

Canada around 32% now. 

20210430_111705.jpg

20210430_111708.jpg

20210430_111710.jpg

Screenshot_20210430-195417~2.png

Screenshot_20210430-095326.png

Screenshot_20210430-095624~2.png

Will be interesting to see how our graph follows as vaccinations increase.  It should only be 3 weeks before we are at 51%, where the UK is here.  Today Alberta alone had more cases than the entire UK.  

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-first-billion-covid-vaccinations-have-been-given/

The First Billion COVID Vaccinations Have Been Given

It took just four months to reach this global milestone, and hitting the two-billion mark could happen even faster, say scientists

The world has reached the milestone of administering one billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines, just four months after the World Health Organization (WHO) approved the first vaccine for emergency use, and roll-outs began in countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom. The speed at which they have been administered is remarkable, but unequal distribution of the vaccinations highlights global disparities, say researchers.

“It is an unprecedented scientific achievement. Nobody could have imagined that, within 16 months of the identification of a new virus, we would have vaccinated one billion people worldwide with a variety of different vaccines, using different platforms and made in different countries,” says Soumya Swaminathan, the WHO’s chief scientist, based in Geneva, Switzerland.

As of 27 April, 1.06 billion doses had been given to 570 million people, which means that about 7.3% of the world’s population of 7.79 billion have received at least one dose. But scientists say that more than 75% of the world’s population will need to be vaccinated to bring the pandemic under control.

HIGHLIGHTING INEQUALITY

The uneven distribution of vaccinations, both within and between nations, threatens to slow progress towards this goal. “It’s absolutely amazing that in a short time we developed multiple vaccines and gotten a billion doses administered, but the way it’s happened has worsened inequities around the world,” says Krishna Udayakumar, associate director for innovation at the Duke Global Health Institute in Durham, North Carolina.

About three-quarters of all doses have gone to just ten nations (see ‘Divided by doses’). China and the United States alone account for nearly half of all the doses given out, but just 2% have gone to the entire continent of Africa.

Ensuring global vaccine equity is a matter of self-interest for high-income countries in beating the pandemic, says Peter Hotez, a vaccine scientist at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. “You can’t do that with under a dozen countries fully vaccinated,” he says. “In terms of saving lives and restoring the global economy, we need places like Myanmar and Papua New Guinea to be successful.”

GLOBAL RESPONSE

Disparities also exist within nations see (‘Racing ahead’). For example, one UK study found that, of 1.1 million people aged over 80 who were treated for health conditions in clinics and hospitals between December and January, 42.5% of white participants had been vaccinated, compared with just 20.5% of Black participants. The same study also found evidence of divides along socio-economic lines.

“Vaccinating only portions of the population is not an effective strategy, and leaves us vulnerable to new variants,” warns Udayakumar. “A global pandemic can only be met with a global response.”

Global vaccine manufacturers are scaling up production to meet demand, but this might take another 6–12 months to achieve, he says. Nevertheless, we are likely to hit the two-billion mark much faster than we hit the first billion, adds Swaminathan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading through a couple of different sites this morning and came across these two pictures. They both illustrate how far people are willing to push themselves. 

One will have to endure for a long time yet and will likely have to treat the other and people like her. The other makes TikTok videos of herself fooling workers in grocery stores and laughing herself silly. The first gives me hope, the other a migraine.

A16D8620-7F21-47FA-9BE5-DDA602E98E5E.jpeg

3E002871-A25D-4408-8069-9BC38A63097B.jpeg

Just putting this thought out there, once say, 75-80% of the general population is fully vaccinated, would it not make sense to go for one more 2-3 week lockdown to really make an effort to fully eradicate covid?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just putting this thought out there, once say, 75-80% of the general population is fully vaccinated, would it not make sense to go for one more 2-3 week lockdown to really make an effort to fully eradicate covid?

Do you mean like once BC hits this number of 80% of adults fully vaccinated (2 week after second dose)?  That hopefully will be in August.  By that time our numbers over the previous 3 months, will show a steady decline.  They will be reducing restrictions along the way.  By August our numbers in BC should be very low.  I don't think they would have a science based argument to put in a 3 week lockdown at that point.  They might be the exact opposite by then.  Maybe the USA border is even being considered to reopen.  

Alberta now leading North America for infections per capita, hosting the 2nd day of a major anti lockdown rodeo.

image.png.f86e164891909db6398ba32424c79a1b.png

A woman is actually finding images of people in attendance, finding out their places of employment and posting screen shots of them at this anti mask rodeo next to their stated places of employment.  She is now receiving death threats for it. So she deleted the tweet/thread.  Sadly a HUGE number of people she had found worked with children, day cares or in health care including a woman who works at a seniors facility and hospice centre that had a HUGE outbreak early on during the covid crisis.

image.thumb.png.939b6cd962b4d591bd4d8edf974d104a.png

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

By "general", do you mean domestic, or global?

Based on expert analysis, it's the latter that counts the most towards eradicating the coronavirus.  Until that happens, there will still be the possibility of transmission and mutation.  Good luck trying to convince first-world peoples to stay locked down until all third-world countries have had their populations reach that goal, much less an additional 2-3 weeks beyond that.

Trust me I know it’s very unlikely, but a collective effort by everyone would do wonders. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Will be interesting to see how our graph follows as vaccinations increase.  It should only be 3 weeks before we are at 51%, where the UK is here.  Today Alberta alone had more cases than the entire UK.  

It’s not just the vaccine roll out - UK started it late December and had a 12 week full lockdown and we are only just opening up again, the two combined is why the rates have dropped. If you are starting from a higher base with less restrictions you won’t follow the same curve. 

it’s takes a while to break the cycle of infection and the vaccine alone will take longer to do it than a vaccine and lockdown plan