Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Wow Health Canada approved before the FDA?  Better be first come first serve with Pfizer for the kiddos then!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Good news. 

 

 

That's fine and dandy to be approving vaccines, but are there actually any available to the general public?  There are still thousands upon thousands of people in older age categories and prioritized working groups who haven't been able to receive their doses due to lack of supply. 

 

First responders, teachers, child-care workers are still waiting for vaccines despite the governments vow to prioritize them unfortunately.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7821168/bc-front-line-workers-covid-vaccine/

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Good news. 

 

 

I would never recommend kids take this vax, unless maybe they have an underlying condition or are obese. I have taken the vax specifically so younger people would not feel obligated to take an experimental vax to protect me. Trumps vaccine was rushed through the process. Why take a risk if you're not at risk to begin with. Pregnant women now are OK'd for the vax???!!!  Wow.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Then you're not going to like this. 

 

Thing is, the experimental part really isn't a valid talking point.  The Vaccines went through all the phased trials, and had tens of thousands of participants during those trials.  They also got really good data regarding potential exposure to the virus during those trials.  Those participants in the Phase 3 trial were fully vaccinated last fall, so there will be people who have been fully vaccinated for around one full year providing data before authorization for 2 to 11 year old children will occur.  If the vaccines are truly as dangerous as anti-vaxxers make them out to be, then those participants shouldn't be around to see the 2021/22 Canucks play.

 

Phase 4 (continued monitoring that studies the side effects caused over time by a new treatment after it has been approved and is on the market. These trials look for side effects that were not seen in earlier trials and may also study how well a new treatment works over a long period of time) has been ongoing.  That is why the J&J and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine clotting issues were detected.  Thing is, like those clotting issues, these effects are really something that shows up early on after getting injected.  The fears of some 2 plus year side effects is overblown and misplaced.  So, by the time approval for younger children happens, there will be hundreds of millions of fully vaccinated people who have been vaccinated for months, providing plenty of data to demonstrate what potential side effects to expect, as well as the likelyhood of said side effects.

 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/04/health/pfizer-vaccine-approval-kids-eua-timeline/index.html?utm_content=2021-05-04T19%3A59%3A02&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN

Pfizer to seek authorization for Covid-19 vaccine for children ages 2 to 11 in September

People religiously avoid foods which may give them cancer 30 years down the road but stampede to Pfizer. No upside for kids. It's that simple.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Good news. 

 

 

Great news.  Alberta is going to start giving it to children almost right away it seems.  Are we the first country to approve it for 12-15?  If we include teens into the aged based one dose strategy, I guess it will add another week, till second doses can begin. About 350K 12-17 year olds in bc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

It's all about doing your own cost-benefit analysis. 

 

Taking the vaccine vs. Refusing the vaccine

  • potential risk of getting unknown long-term health complications OR;
  • potential risk of getting infected with a virus that has been proven to kill over 3 million people or spreading it to others who are more vulnerable

I put a much higher risk weight on the latter, but that's just me. 

 

When I make the decision to drive my car everyday, I'm willing to take on the potential risk of getting into a vehicle accident to get to my destination. When you buy a house, you're essentially willing to take on the risk that the value of your property could plummet after you buy it. 

 

Any medical recommendation you receive from your physician comes with a risk - known and unknown. The point is to weigh that risk against the benefit - I'd encourage you to run that thought experiment with yourself :) 

 

EDIT: I'd also add that your use of the analogy of food choices doesn't quite apply in the context of the COVID vaccines because you have hundreds of alternatives when it comes to food consumption, so you can theoretically eliminate all risks by consuming a set selection of foods. With COVID, it's choice A versus choice B and there are clear risks that come with both choices. 

Ya.  I did a rough comparison between the vaccines and the case fatality rate for Covid.  Even when I massaged the data in the anti-vaxxers favour, the vaccines were orders of magnitude less potentially deadly than Covid.  I say potentially, because even the CDC and Health Canada say that not all of the deaths that were associated with vaccinations were due to side effects of the vaccine.  Last time I looked, well over half of the associated deaths to the vaccines in Canada were determined to not be due to the vaccines.  So, they are even safer than the rough math I did.

 

That's doesn't include that studies are showing that 1 in 3 people who get Covid have persistent symptoms well after "recovering" from it.  Weeks and months of not tasting food.  Not being able to physically exert yourself like you did pre-Covid.  Lung scans that look horrible.  Stuff like that.  So ya, the vaccines are a no-brainer.  It isn't even close.

 

EDIT:  I'll add the potential for men to get ED from Covid.  So, even more of a no-brainer.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/yes-covid-19-can-cause-erectile-dysfunction/#:~:text=The stress%2C anxiety and depression,severe reaction to COVID-19.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/us-backs-covid-vaccine-intellectual-property-waivers-to-expand-access-to-shots-worldwide.html

U.S. backs waiving patent protections for Covid vaccines, citing global health crisis

  • The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it supports waiving intellectual property protections for Covid-19 vaccines.
  • Such a waiver could remove obstacles to ramping up the production of vaccines in developing countries.
  • The move comes as coronavirus infections surge to their highest levels in countries that have struggled to procure or distribute vaccines.

statE0pYwPxXsAkM-yG.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chesster said:

I would never recommend kids take this vax, unless maybe they have an underlying condition or are obese. I have taken the vax specifically so younger people would not feel obligated to take an experimental vax to protect me. Trumps vaccine was rushed through the process. Why take a risk if you're not at risk to begin with. Pregnant women now are OK'd for the vax???!!!  Wow.

 

It was always going to be given to kids at some point.  The Pfizer study has been out since the end of March.  18 infections in placebo group, 0 in vaccinated group.  It was a sure thing.

 

Pregnant people were always going to be given vaccines when it was their turn by age.  It just wasn't an issue when we are still doing 52+.  Now they are a priority group.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

 

 

 

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/us-backs-covid-vaccine-intellectual-property-waivers-to-expand-access-to-shots-worldwide.html

U.S. backs waiving patent protections for Covid vaccines, citing global health crisis

  • The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it supports waiving intellectual property protections for Covid-19 vaccines.
  • Such a waiver could remove obstacles to ramping up the production of vaccines in developing countries.
  • The move comes as coronavirus infections surge to their highest levels in countries that have struggled to procure or distribute vaccines.

statE0pYwPxXsAkM-yG.jpg

great idea, but...................... this sounds like socialism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Our lowest new case count since March 20.

Meanwhile in Alberta...amazingly after an absolutely minimal drop today "see, the numbers are going down, yet we're locked down"

 

Ridiculousness....sadly these idiots are the ones rushing to the okanagan valley

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

That's fine and dandy to be approving vaccines, but are there actually any available to the general public?  There are still thousands upon thousands of people in older age categories and prioritized working groups who haven't been able to receive their doses due to lack of supply. 

 

First responders, teachers, child-care workers are still waiting for vaccines despite the governments vow to prioritize them unfortunately.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7821168/bc-front-line-workers-covid-vaccine/

I agree, but to play devil's advocate they have been doing drop in vaccines at lots of pharmacies all over the province. So if someone is that desperate to get a shot they "could" get one in theory. My mother in law went to a pharmacy 2 hours after they started doing vaccines and still was able to get one recently in Kelowna.

 

They should just be bringing a mobile vaccine RV or something and go school to school imo and give staff the option to get the jab!

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chesster said:

I would never recommend kids take this vax, unless maybe they have an underlying condition or are obese. I have taken the vax specifically so younger people would not feel obligated to take an experimental vax to protect me. Trumps vaccine was rushed through the process. Why take a risk if you're not at risk to begin with. Pregnant women now are OK'd for the vax???!!!  Wow.

 

Lot of misinformation. It ain't the trump vaccine. Pfizer refused operation warp speed money. 

 

It isn't an experimental vaccine. Pre clinical experiments were done on animals. All the phases were done like any other drug or vaccine. In fact, trial size is larger than average.  The trials were done in parallel as well as production of the vaccine before the results because of the urgent need.  That's why it was the fastest vaccine developed. Tons of money and there were so many cases in US it reached the end point fast. If you were to do HPV vaccine, that will take years since your are looking for protection against development of cancer. The difference here is that in a pandemic, you get results fast. 

 

The vaccine is safe for pregnant women, and antibodies pass to the infant too. Double protection.  

 

I can go on. But it will likely be a waste of time on a hockey forum. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 3
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Great news.  Alberta is going to start giving it to children almost right away it seems.  Are we the first country to approve it for 12-15?  If we include teens into the aged based one dose strategy, I guess it will add another week, till second doses can begin. About 350K 12-17 year olds in bc.  

Yes. Health Canada got the application and data Apr 16.  FDA got it too, EU at the end of Apr. FDA likely to announce approval this week. 

 

Alberta was already giving it to high risk children for a while, off label use. 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I can go on. But it will likely be a waste of time on a hockey forum. 

Not a waste of time with  most posters, and I again thank you.

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Lot of misinformation. It ain't the trump vaccine. Pfizer refused operation warp speed money. 

 

It isn't an experimental vaccine. Pre clinical experiments were done on animals. All the phases were done like any other drug or vaccine. In fact, trial size is larger than average.  The trials were done in parallel as well as production of the vaccine before the results because of the urgent need.  That's why it was the fastest vaccine developed. Tons of money and there were so many cases in US it reached the end point fast. If you were to do HPV vaccine, that will take years since your are looking for protection against development of cancer. The difference here is that in a pandemic, you get results fast. 

 

The vaccine is safe for pregnant women, and antibodies pass to the infant too. Double protection.  

 

I can go on. But it will likely be a waste of time on a hockey forum. 

While I agree it is most certainly a waste of time with that poster I specifically come to this thread to see what you post. Thank you for all of your efforts, they are greatly appreciated.

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...