The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Yea India doesn't have a damn choice right now, they need to jab anyone and everyone with just about anything to get it under control there.

I don't really get the hullabaloo around AZ, to be honest.  It's more political than anything, imo.  If anyone has a chance to get it, they should take it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't really get the hullabaloo around AZ, to be honest.  It's more political than anything, imo.  If anyone has a chance to get it, they should take it

My wife and I got the AZ and are OK.  Had symptoms for 24hrs but fine since. Been 3 weeks so far.

However, we know of someone that took the AZ vaccine and still has symptoms from it (3 weeks) and is freaking out.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, BPA said:

My wife and I got the AZ and are OK.  Had symptoms for 24hrs but fine since. Been 3 weeks so far.

However, we know of someone that took the AZ vaccine and still has symptoms from it (3 weeks) and is freaking out.

I don't think that flu symptoms is an issue, as there's no live virus.  It's blood clot symptoms she should be looking out for isn't it?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think that flu symptoms is an issue, as there's no live virus.  It's blood clot symptoms she should be looking out for isn't it?

I think that's what she's concerned about.  She's been to the ER and doctors.  Just need to keep an eye on it in case it really is a blood clot.

There have been 12 cases of VITT of which 3 women have died.  I think it was 2 Million doses of AZ that was administered in Canada. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, BPA said:

I think that's what she's concerned about.  She's been to the ER and doctors.  Just need to keep an eye on it in case it really is a blood clot.

There have been 12 cases of VITT of which 3 women have died.  I think it was 2 Million doses of AZ that was administered in Canada. 

those are pretty minute numbers

3 hours ago, stawns said:

1 in 100,000 chance. Basically just monitor yourself better than usual for a few weeks and you'll be fine. 

I don't get why people freak out, stats are still in its favour. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Russ said:

1 in 100,000 chance. Basically just monitor yourself better than usual for a few weeks and you'll be fine. 

I don't get why people freak out, stats are still in its favour. 

The odds of dying in a car crash are literally WAY more likely:  https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-mortality-risk

I think it's the mental aspect of making a decision to get a shot that has a minute chance of killing you when there are alternatives (ie. Pfizer/Moderna).

Oh, and media.

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'm embarrassed to be in that age range.  More than happy to wait a year to go on vacation in order to protect the health of my parents.

Same - and  I’ve not had a proper holiday since my honeymoon almost  10 years ago.

But at the same time in the uk this is just another area in which this generation has grievances. Affordable housing is none existent, rents are through the roof, retirement ages pushed up to 70, final salary pensions for this group no longer exist, benefits for when this age get to pension age have been scrapped but current pensioners keep it. 

after the 2008 crash the government closed and cut pretty much all child care/early start/sure start centres. Entry level jobs disappeared, and there wasn’t much government support in this area or programs to help young people at this time. This group in the UK were also the first group to have to pay for university education 

wages stagnated and this generation group is worse off at the same stage of their life than their parents and grandparents.

also this generation predominantly voted to remain 

add in the fact that the generation behind them (in the UK at least) is larger and there is now targeted support for them in getting jobs, better support in other areas and benefits as well and there really is a sense that they are a forgotten generation squeezed between to larger cohorts and the balance of power can be seen from shifting from the generations ahead of them to the one behind them and skipping them out completely. 

so I think for some the grievances are just griping about not having their 3rd holiday that year, but some of the undercurrents of it are larger of wider systemic generational discontent in the UK

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

The odds of dying in a car crash are literally WAY more likely:  https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-mortality-risk

I think it's the mental aspect of making a decision to get a shot that has a minute chance of killing you when there are alternatives (ie. Pfizer/Moderna).

Oh, and media.

Well now I'm getting my shot and not driving ever again! 

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe it's the asshole streak in me, but I'm more inclined to propose that if they don't pay their fines, they should be cut from more than just a driver's license or vehicle license.  I anticipate that there will be idiots out there who will say, "fine, I won't drive then"; and will stubbornly refuse to pay.  You need something that's a bit more pervasive and necessary to really hit at them.

Something like... oh I don't know, like healthcare services?

Sad thing is those are the same people who will drive without a licence or insurance. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1