The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

On a separate point from above

UK is planning on giving boosters in September - however there are trials ongoing about mix and matching the vaccines and the plan is that if that proves to be effective that the booster may be provided by giving a dose of an alternate type. But there is already work to produce a seasonal style booster as well so good progress is being made on that front 

Early trial data, but good newws none the less.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/05/tweaked-moderna-vaccine-neutralises-covid-variants-in-trials

Tweaked Moderna vaccine ‘neutralises Covid variants in trials’

Limited data from small test trial shows positive results against South Africa and Brazil strains

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gurn said:

I did not see anything on the link you provided that says AZ is "completely " inneffective against the variants. In fact I saw nothing about about variants at all.

That could be because i haven't had coffee yet, but perhaps you could help by pointing out where, exaxctly, it states what you claimed?

Sure, not a problem..... it's in many other articles published, not in the Gov't of Canada on.,  Sorry I forgot to include that reference for the mis-informed AZ promoters.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/03/17/astrazeneca-vaccine-fails-to-protect-against-the-south-african-variant/?sh=60c9fae6526e

Another: Extracted from this article........ https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-briefing/2021/04/16/variants-vaccines...................................................

.................... AstraZeneca's vaccine, which has not been authorized in the United States, against certain variants. One very small study suggested that that vaccine was almost entirely ineffective at preventing mild cases of Covid-19 against B.1.351, and a separate experiment found that it takes 86 times as many antibodies from the AstraZeneca vaccine to neutralize B.1.351 as it does to neutralize the original strain of the virus.

"I'm basically not confident about [AstraZeneca's] vaccine at all" in mitigating B.1.351 infections, Abdool Karim said.

Let me know if you require any further proof about the real facts about that AZ stuff........

Stay safe and happy vaccination !

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Let me know if you require any further proof

Thanks, at least youhave backed up what you said, and that is appreciated.

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

One very small study suggested that that vaccine was almost entirely ineffective at preventing mild cases of Covid-19 against B.1.351,

I do see the words "one very small study suggested" and mentions one particular variant, but you originally claimed "any variant"

you make claims about others misinformation, yet seem to perpetrating your own brand of misinformation.

• Hydration 4
  • Sad 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I heard that you can trade the sinovac vaccine for 10 to 1 :lol:

Hahaha.   You made me laugh for 2 minutes !!!    Even if The CPC (Communist party of Ch ina) Vaccine (A.K.A. Sinovac) did not contain secretly embedded micro-chips to control your mind,(joking of course),  I still wouldn't take it because it's barely over the World Heath Organizations bare minimum 50% threshold efficacy (at 50.4%) making it's use suspect - at best coming out of that country and why it's mainly used in third world countries.https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-03-14/China-continues-to-contribute-to-global-vaccine-distribution-YCquwiznFK/index.html

20210417_woc543.png

Edited by RU SERIOUS
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Thanks, at least youhave backed up what you said, and that is appreciated.

I do see the words "one very small study suggested" and mentions one particular variant, but you originally claimed "any variant"

you make claims about others misinformation, yet seem to perpetrating your own brand of misinformation.

OMG - really Gurn???   Sorry but unfortunately for some strange reason, I don't seem to able to control the size of Scientific Health Studies (not sure why -LOL) - maybe in my next lifetime......

So in turn, I've provided endless amounts of factual references about that Astrra Zenica stuff to back up everything I've stated from Government of Canada reports CDC reports, WHO reports & reputable news outlets instead of Social media and rumors - where lazy people get their news.   Although I'd love to sit here all day and spoon-feed all those lazy people who don't make any effort to obtain their own information from reputable news outlets, I think I've already gone over-board doing so.  I've done my duty!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

British Columbia reported one new COVID-19 death and 684 new cases of the virus, as active cases and hospitalizations trended downward again, Thursday.

70c8fc80

It dropped the province’s seven-day average for new cases to 695, the lowest it has been since March 25.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

52266 jabs in BC today.  New record.  

That's fantastic !   Hopefully we can all get poked and get in the stands again next October.  Can't wait to actually go to a game !!!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
35 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

OMG - really Gurn???   Sorry but unfortunately for some strange reason, I don't seem to able to control the size of Scientific Health Studies (not sure why -LOL) - maybe in my next lifetime......

I was aware that you don't control sample size, but thanks for informing all the other posters of same.

And again, you stated  "any variant" yet the link you posted to listed 1 variant.

If you claim others are spreading misinformation,  then please be precise in your posts.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I was aware that you don't control sample size, but thanks for informing all the other posters of same.

And again, you stated  "any variant" yet the link you posted to listed 1 variant.

If you claim others are spreading misinformation,  then please be precise in your posts.

................Always am very precise and factual and glad I could inform others a bit more !!!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
10 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I didn't say that AZ is some 3rd world country junk because its made in India - you did!  Just stating facts that there are identified risk associated with J&J and the Indian concocted 3rd world country junk (as you called it) that do not exist in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  If there was nothing else available, I'd be forced to take it too in a last ditch desperate effort to protect myself. 

Something to correct, that all of the Phizer vaccine supplied to date came from the European plant in Brussels. NONE from the USA - AT ALL, but might start to get some trickling in next week.  https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-to-receive-2m-vaccine-doses-this-week-as-pfizer-biontech-ramp-up-deliveries-1.5411460

Another correction that Denmark Will NOT inject Astra Zenica stuff into their people arms due to their fears of potential blood clots and death after injecting Astra Zenica into their bodies, that's why they are not using it - NOT the reason you stated.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56744474#:~:text=Denmark has ceased giving the,vaccination programme by several weeks.  and yes, a few European countries have just recently allowed very limited use of that stuff after most of them banned it https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/15/which-countries-have-halted-use-of-astrazenecas-covid-vaccine along with many other countries due to the danger of blood clots and death.

Another correction: The AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine showed an effectiveness of about 62% in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 disease beginning 2 weeks after the second dose and completely ineffective against any of the variants strains.  So your family is unfortunately NOT fully protected.  https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines/astrazeneca.html

Oh and one last thing, I'm also aware that India is a major supplier of drugs to the world.  I can vouch for that - I live in Surrey and have plenty of neighbors "in the business" !!! 

NOTE: In future kindly check your facts from reputable sources and not social media before posting, so misinformation is not spread regarding this most serious disease as we don't want to mis-inform unsuspecting/uninformed people, but I do appreciate your efforts to try and justify the use of that Indian Astra Zenica stuff to yourself.

I wish you all the best of luck trying to find a second AZ shot for your family as Canada is pretty well "out-of stock' of this now and it look like India won't be exporting any more doses for the foreseeable future because of the high demand in their own country.  Maybe your family will get lucky and mix their first AZ shot with one of the normal shots like Moderna or Pfizer.  So they might end-up O.K. after all.

I did say Pfizer from US arrived in the country this week and is being used. Nothing to correct with what I said. What's the big deal if it is made in US or EU?  But your are the one emphasizing the place of origin in your post. You don't need to if you are just comparing mRNA vs AZ. Obviously your are slighting the vaccine being from India, when AZ doses in Canada are from a variety of sources and countries of origin (US, Korea, EU). 

You comment on Surrey kinda gives me a sense of who you are. Stereotyping people. Again you had to add "I do appreciate your efforts to try and justify the use of that Indian Astra Zenica stuff to yourself." :picard:

AZ works against UK variant well which is the dominant Carradine in Canada, and real world data in UK shows it too. SA variant is rare in Canada. All vaccines so far all are in varying degrees attenuated by it.  The small trial of AZ in SA was looking at mostly healthy young people, and it failed to prevent mild disease. No one got hospitalized or died in the trial, however.  So we don't know if it is ineffective in preventing severe disease, which is the most important.  Also, one dose of mRNA vaccines are not very effective vs SA variant. You need two doses (recent study from Qatar in nejm), but Canada is delaying first dose which complicates things with comparison. The best advise is to keep doing the NPI measures to get the cases down, then get the second shot. 

T cell immunity will work regardless of the variant. It isn't just all antibodies.   Bottom line, getting a vaccine is far better than none. Gives you a fighting chance.  But one dose of mRNA or AZ isn't as effective, and people will need to be vigilant. 

• Thanks 1

Its not just a AZ thing against South African variant, Pfizer isn’t as effective and Moderna seems to be the most effective against it, also has a shorter protection span. AZ is fine against uk and Brazilian variants 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/health-55659820.amp

things like this were known and it’s likely boosters will be needed just like seasonal flu. hence the uk booster program and the updating of the vaccines

This is good news.  People like me, who are waiting for their second shot, may not have to wait quite as long.  At least I can hope that is the case.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7840097/coronavirus-covid-vaccine-timeline-sooner-summer/

Canadians might be vaccinated ‘sooner than originally anticipated,’ officials say

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

The study provides evidence for substantial neurological and psychiatric morbidity in the 6 months after COVID-19 infection. Risks were greatest in, but not limited to, patients who had severe COVID-19. This information could help in service planning and identification of research priorities. Complementary study designs, including prospective cohorts, are needed to corroborate and explain these findings.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(21)00084-5/fulltext

6-month neurological and psychiatric outcomes in 236 379 survivors of COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study using electronic health records

• Vintage 1
Posted (edited)

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-leaked-reports-show-health-authorities-withholding-data-from-the-public

Bit of a longer read so not going to copy and paste it all here, but when chairs of public health institutions call you out for being too controlling with your information (and for being even more restrictive with it than other provinces), it sure raises questions as to what Dr. BH might be hiding.  With the demographic information, I'd bet there's even just cause for closing schools and that the information for each week isn't as neat and tidy as her summative statements make it out to be.  While I also understand her job has elements of PR work and there's a fine line she needs to navigate, it's pretty obvious there's other stakeholders for whom she speaks to their benefit, and I question what semblance of public trust should remain for someone with things to hide. 

Edited by Phil_314