The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Since moving to the Island. I have become way more tolerant of bugs.

My garage is a full scale war between house and wolf spiders, I've gotten used to them.

I try not to kill anything.. 

The other day at work we were moving a wall for a horse shelter that had been lying on the grass for a couple weeks. My nephew had the mini excavator, we hoisted the wall and he started to drive it to where we were building. As the wall slowly spun, I noticed a minimum of 15 giant ( I mean huge) wolf spiders. My nephew got out and said, 'did I see a big spider on there?', He hates them.  I replied, 'there's actually a few'.

The next scene was him running around trying to squish them, I was laughing and yelling ' run for your lives, little dudes!' while trying to shoo them with a piece of wood. 

It was a comical scene ( to me) fit for the movie Arachnophobia.

My nephew is a big tough logger, well...tough if you're not a 8 legged web slinger. 

man those things give me the creeps. We bought our 1st house from an old couple who let the yard work go and the bushes were up against the shingles, so the whole unfinished basement was filled with those things. We had a contractor in for some work, a big dude, looked like a biker. One fell on him and he literally screamed. It was pretty funny.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man those things give me the creeps. We bought our 1st house from an old couple who let the yard work go and the bushes were up against the shingles, so the whole unfinished basement was filled with those things. We had a contractor in for some work, a big dude, looked like a biker. One fell on him and he literally screamed. It was pretty funny.  

Yeah, wolf spiders get big and they don't act like regular spiders. They run down their prey, probably cause they seem to suck a making nice webs. None of them is named Charlotte. 

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Is this true our numbers today 515, and two deaths?? No update on BC1, so I'm wondering if these are in fact todays.

Those are correct.  Good numbers most places in Canada.  Looks like 5386 with 32 deaths

BC with 60753 jabs new record

Edited by BCNeil
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah....I was really hoping to be able to recharge my phone with my mind....

....total letdown....<_<

You need the second dose for that ability ;)

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 2

'A great disservice to the people who got it': Ontario pauses use of AstraZeneca vaccine due to blood clot concerns, amid mixed reaction

'A great disservice to the people who got it': Ontario pauses use of AstraZeneca vaccine due to blood clot concerns, amid mixed reaction

Dr. David Williams, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, announced Tuesday that the province will stop administering first doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine due to increased concerns around vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT), which causes blood clots.

"This decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to an observed increase in the observed blood clotting condition...linked to AstraZeneca vaccine," Dr. Williams said.

Ontario's chief medical officer of health confirmed that as of May 8, 651,012 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were administered with a rate of VITT of 0.9 per 100,000 dose administered. A total of 202,873 doses of the COVISHIELD vaccine were administered with a rate of VITT of one per 100,000 doses. 

"Over the last few days, there has been increase reports of VITT, in particular related to the AstraZeneca vaccine, with a rate of 1.7 per 100,000 doses administered," Dr. Williams said.

Dr. Jessica Hopkins, chief health protection and emergency preparedness officer at Public Health Ontario, confirmed that the province is reporting that the risk of VITT is now one in 60,000 in Ontario. The risk nationally is one in 55,000.

"At a population level, it makes sense to pause AstraZeneca because the risk of severe outcomes with VITT shouldn’t be underestimated," Dr. Hopkins said. 

"At the individual level,...there are individual decisions that can be made as well and those are much more nuanced. They depend on your own health, your own risk factors and all of those other things."

Dr. Dirk Huyer, coordinator of the provincial COVID-19 outbreak response, stressed that while this has been considered a rare event, the adverse effect is "severe."

What if you already took the first dose of AstraZeneca?

Despite these concerns, Ontario's chief medical officer of health said Ontarians who received their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine made the right decision.

"We maintain that those who received their first dose with the AstraZeneca vaccine did absolutely the right thing to protect illness, and to protect their families, loved one and communities," Dr. Williams said.

"Part of our role with our vaccine safety program,...we're looking for every possibility, every inch of issues that [have] happened, and then we're moving on an abundance of caution to say, let's pause and asses this carefully."

How will people who received their first dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in Ontario get their second dose?

Ontario's chief medical officer of health said he hopes to have answers in the coming weeks around what the options will be for people in the province who are waiting for their second dose, after receiving the first shot of AstraZeneca, stating that the data is being reviewed.

The province has also asked the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) to provide direction related to the interchangeability of vaccine doses, meaning getting Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose. 

Dr. Williams highlight that data from the U.K. is showing there is a reduced risk of VITT when individuals get their second dose, about one in a million, and there are "promising results" of mixing vaccine doses.

Dr. Huyer added that there will also be considerations made around the expiry of currently supply and upcoming shipments, in terms of future administration of AstraZeneca COVID-19 doses.

"This is still a very rare side effect," Dr. Hopkins stressed. "The reason that we're talking about it is because it was one in 100,000 before."

Health experts in Ontario have taken to social media to respond to this latest development in Ontario.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Dr. David Williams, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, announced Tuesday that the province will stop administering first doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine due to increased concerns around vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT), which causes blood clots.

"This decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to an observed increase in the observed blood clotting condition...linked to AstraZeneca vaccine," Dr. Williams said.

Ontario's chief medical officer of health confirmed that as of May 8, 651,012 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were administered with a rate of VITT of 0.9 per 100,000 dose administered. A total of 202,873 doses of the COVISHIELD vaccine were administered with a rate of VITT of one per 100,000 doses. 

"Over the last few days, there has been increase reports of VITT, in particular related to the AstraZeneca vaccine, with a rate of 1.7 per 100,000 doses administered," Dr. Williams said.

Dr. Jessica Hopkins, chief health protection and emergency preparedness officer at Public Health Ontario, confirmed that the province is reporting that the risk of VITT is now one in 60,000 in Ontario. The risk nationally is one in 55,000.

"At a population level, it makes sense to pause AstraZeneca because the risk of severe outcomes with VITT shouldn’t be underestimated," Dr. Hopkins said. 

"At the individual level,...there are individual decisions that can be made as well and those are much more nuanced. They depend on your own health, your own risk factors and all of those other things."

Dr. Dirk Huyer, coordinator of the provincial COVID-19 outbreak response, stressed that while this has been considered a rare event, the adverse effect is "severe."

What if you already took the first dose of AstraZeneca?

Despite these concerns, Ontario's chief medical officer of health said Ontarians who received their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine made the right decision.

"We maintain that those who received their first dose with the AstraZeneca vaccine did absolutely the right thing to protect illness, and to protect their families, loved one and communities," Dr. Williams said.

"Part of our role with our vaccine safety program,...we're looking for every possibility, every inch of issues that [have] happened, and then we're moving on an abundance of caution to say, let's pause and asses this carefully."

How will people who received their first dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in Ontario get their second dose?

Ontario's chief medical officer of health said he hopes to have answers in the coming weeks around what the options will be for people in the province who are waiting for their second dose, after receiving the first shot of AstraZeneca, stating that the data is being reviewed.

The province has also asked the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) to provide direction related to the interchangeability of vaccine doses, meaning getting Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose. 

Dr. Williams highlight that data from the U.K. is showing there is a reduced risk of VITT when individuals get their second dose, about one in a million, and there are "promising results" of mixing vaccine doses.

Dr. Huyer added that there will also be considerations made around the expiry of currently supply and upcoming shipments, in terms of future administration of AstraZeneca COVID-19 doses.

"This is still a very rare side effect," Dr. Hopkins stressed. "The reason that we're talking about it is because it was one in 100,000 before."

Health experts in Ontario have taken to social media to respond to this latest development in Ontario.

They are bascially taking NACI recommendation, assessing the risk vs benefit in the context of of their epidemiology.  The increase in reported cases is what changed, in the background of decreasing cases in ON (about 2000 now in ON). The risk for VITT is higher in Norway and Denmark but lower in UK. Canada is in between.  We don't know what the risk factors are. It could be genetic background or prior infections, don't know. But they are not pausing AZ in India, with 4000+ deaths and 400,000+ cases daily.   Benefit vs risk. 

I have family member and friends who took it, all without issues.  Most are past 28 days now. It was the right choice for them, being in the 3rd wave surge in BC or ON, some working in higher risk settings.

The advice I have given them was that after the first 2 days of vaccination, keep a daily log of any new or worsening symptoms from day 3-28.  It will force you to pay attention to your body. Seek medical care asap if you have any of the symptoms listed. It is treatable when detected early. Simple screening tests initially are available at any ED.  Be an annoying patient and demand you get the test (the unverified story in AB seems to suggest the patient was sent home by a triage nurse without any tests). 

This website here provides good info. The list of symptoms are listed. 

https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/sciencebrief/vaccine-induced-immune-thrombotic-thrombocytopenia-vitt-following-adenovirus-vector-covid-19-vaccination/

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They are bascially taking NACI recommendation, assessing the risk vs benefit in the context of of their epidemiology.  The increase in reported cases is what changed, in the background of decreasing cases in ON (about 2000 now in ON). The risk for VITT is higher in Norway and Denmark but lower in UK. Canada is in between.  We don't know what the risk factors are. It could be genetic background or prior infections, don't know. But they are not pausing AZ in India, with 4000+ deaths and 400,000+ cases daily.   Benefit vs risk. 

I have family member and friends who took it, all without issues.  Most are past 28 days now. It was the right choice for them, being in the 3rd wave surge in BC or ON, some working in higher risk settings.

The advice I have given them was that after the first 2 days of vaccination, keep a daily log of any new or worsening symptoms from day 3-28.  It will force you to pay attention to your body. Seek medical care asap if you have any of the symptoms listed. It is treatable when detected early. Simple screening tests initially are available at any ED.  Be an annoying patient and demand you get the test (the unverified story in AB seems to suggest the patient was sent home by a triage nurse without any tests). 

https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/sciencebrief/vaccine-induced-immune-thrombotic-thrombocytopenia-vitt-following-adenovirus-vector-covid-19-vaccination/

My two boys, 44 and 40 got the AZ vaccine. Both had headaches, body chills, for about 24 hours. Now into their 3rd week, and are fine. For sure, do what the folks at the clinics say to do. There are emergency numbers to call, and advice is available.

9 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

There is growing discontent in the UK with vaccine passports for foreign travel.

With limited foreign travel able

tonstart from Monday there is a growing sense that the younger demographics are been treated unfairly yet again.

they are statistically more likely to have suffered economic harm because of the lockdowns and are at the back of the queue for the vaccine. The passport requires both sets of vaccines and they are 12 weeks apart meaning most people under 40 will not be able to go abroad over the summer. 

there is a growing sense that this is just compounding the economic hardship suffered by the millennial group who get to see the generation ahead of them get everything again and the drawbridge pulled up. 

I'm embarrassed to be in that age range.  More than happy to wait a year to go on vacation in order to protect the health of my parents.

• Huggy Bear 2

Looks like Alberta and Ontario are the latest to suspend use of the Indian Astra Zenica vaccine and BC is now considering the same due to concerns over higher than expected deaths and blood clotting. Now actually 1 in 55,000 https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/sciencebrief/risk-of-vaccine-induced-thrombotic-thrombocytopenia-vitt-following-the-astrazeneca-covishield-adenovirus-vector-covid-19-vaccines/    and a lot lower than the previously stated one in a million which the Indians previously stated which was completely incorrect.   https://www.channel4.com/news/sage-scientist-says-risk-of-death-from-astrazeneca-vaccine-less-than-one-in-a-million

Not surprised to see this as that stuff has been suspect for awhile . Better if they just leave it to the Indians to use anyways as they need it pretty badly and we can switch over to the safer European developed Phizer and Moderna vaccine which most normal countries are using.

So glad I waited and got a normal appointment in the health department with no wait and receive the good Phizer Vaccine instead of panicking and lining up for 8 hours in rain soaked mud field tent up in Newton to risk my life injecting that Astra Zencxa stuff,

11 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Yea India doesn't have a damn choice right now, they need to jab anyone and everyone with just about anything to get it under control there.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Yea India doesn't have a damn choice right now, they need to jab anyone and everyone with just about anything to get it under control there.

I don't really get the hullabaloo around AZ, to be honest.  It's more political than anything, imo.  If anyone has a chance to get it, they should take it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't really get the hullabaloo around AZ, to be honest.  It's more political than anything, imo.  If anyone has a chance to get it, they should take it

My wife and I got the AZ and are OK.  Had symptoms for 24hrs but fine since. Been 3 weeks so far.

However, we know of someone that took the AZ vaccine and still has symptoms from it (3 weeks) and is freaking out.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, BPA said:

My wife and I got the AZ and are OK.  Had symptoms for 24hrs but fine since. Been 3 weeks so far.

However, we know of someone that took the AZ vaccine and still has symptoms from it (3 weeks) and is freaking out.

I don't think that flu symptoms is an issue, as there's no live virus.  It's blood clot symptoms she should be looking out for isn't it?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think that flu symptoms is an issue, as there's no live virus.  It's blood clot symptoms she should be looking out for isn't it?

I think that's what she's concerned about.  She's been to the ER and doctors.  Just need to keep an eye on it in case it really is a blood clot.

There have been 12 cases of VITT of which 3 women have died.  I think it was 2 Million doses of AZ that was administered in Canada. 

• Vintage 1