Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


Recommended Posts

Got my booked for this friday afternoon.... I didn't strategically place it at all to get off work and start my weekend early at all....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sir John Bell of Oxford University was on CTV's Question Period today talking about the health risks of AztraZeneca.  Based on some initial test results, he's not keen on mixing the AZ vaccine with other vaccines.

 

 

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Things going well in the UK with cases, hospitalisation and deaths right down from just before the start of the current lockdown in January 

 

Fingers crossed with the Indian variant and the biggest phased opening up today that this stays low

015FE6D4-BBA2-415D-8782-E1CC1EF94823.jpeg

823EF25C-C5EA-4E0F-9C69-4778FF74BC2A.jpeg

CA4631BA-B7C2-4791-938F-A1DEF9B72FA6.jpeg

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Things going well in the UK with cases, hospitalisation and deaths right down from just before the start of the current lockdown in January 

 

Fingers crossed with the Indian variant and the biggest phased opening up today that this stays low

015FE6D4-BBA2-415D-8782-E1CC1EF94823.jpeg

823EF25C-C5EA-4E0F-9C69-4778FF74BC2A.jpeg

CA4631BA-B7C2-4791-938F-A1DEF9B72FA6.jpeg

Yes this is wonderful news, but isn’t the reduction in cases and severe illness due to vaccinations more than any other measure?  These Vaccines are great, and pretty much bringing an end to the need for restrictive measures.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Russ said:

Got my booked for this friday afternoon.... I didn't strategically place it at all to get off work and start my weekend early at all....

 My answer and I'm sticking to it. Is the excuse if it gives me flu like symptoms I have 3 days in the weekend to recover. :P 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

 My answer and I'm sticking to it. Is the excuse if it gives me flu like symptoms I have 3 days in the weekend to recover. :P 

My wife and I got Pfizer last Wednesday.  My arm was sore for a few days - felt like a goat had kicked me lol.

On top of sore arm, my wife also was a bit nauseous and dizzy for a few days.

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes this is wonderful news, but isn’t the reduction in cases and severe illness due to vaccinations more than any other measure?  These Vaccines are great, and pretty much bringing an end to the need for restrictive measures.  

It’s a combination of vaccine and lockdown. The lockdown gave a chance for the vaccine program to work without cases growing exponentially. Which in turn helped keep the rate low. Without both it would be a longer drawn out process than it already had been 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theconversation.com/whats-the-valneva-covid-19-vaccine-the-french-shot-thats-supposed-to-be-variant-proof-160345


 

A COVID-19 vaccine from French company Valneva has yet to complete clinical trials. But it has caught the eye of governments in the UK, Europe and Australia. 

One of the vaccine’s main selling points is its apparent ability to mount a more general immune response against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, rather than rely on the spike protein to do this.

 

 

 

be interesting to see how this develops - UK has already ordered 100m doses of it so hopefully it clears trials 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't the clinical trials for AZ against the newer variants showing how ineffective it is?

 

I got denied my poke on wednesday last week because I had covid within the last 3 months. Waiting an hour just to be told that was unexpected after not being told anywhere.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

Weren't the clinical trials for AZ against the newer variants showing how ineffective it is?

 

I got denied my poke on wednesday last week because I had covid within the last 3 months. Waiting an hour just to be told that was unexpected after not being told anywhere.

 

 

It’s not ineffective - it’s not as effective, it might not stop a variant but it has been proved to reduce hospitalisation. So it’s still worth getting 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was nauseous when I woke up, kinda like motion sickness. 

Still went for my run cause I'm badass like that but was a bit woozy for most of the morning.

 

Feeling a lot better now.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was nauseous when I woke up, kinda like motion sickness. 

Still went for my run cause I'm badass like that but was a bit woozy for most of the morning.

Was doing ok till he passed out in front of the car.

Ambulance ride, 2 hours of surgery, three casts and

 

53 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

 

Feeling a lot better now.

Good news.       :)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea.

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

Leading coronavirus researchers call for 'proper investigation' into COVID-19 origins

 

Since the coronavirus emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan 17 months ago, scientists have been perplexed by its origin. As many nations accelerate vaccine rollouts and begin to bring outbreaks under control, looking toward the end of the pandemic, some are beginning to look backward to try to understand how it began. 

 

Knowing where the virus came from is central to preventing the next pandemic, but untangling the origins of the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19, has become a complex, messy issue, needlessly complicated by politicking and conspiracy. Two hypotheses have been floated by scientists. One, the virus emerged naturally, likely in bats, and spilled over into humans. Or, two, it  accidentally leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan where coronavirus research was being conducted. 

 

There is insufficient data to rule out either theory — but a cadre of scientists is hoping to change that.

 

In a new letter published Thursday in Science, one of the world's top academic journals, 18 international experts in virology, molecular biology, evolutionary biology and epidemiology call for a "proper investigation" into the origins of the pandemic, highlighting the need for a transparent, objective and data-driven analysis of SARS-CoV-2's emergence. The signatories include Ralph Baric, an eminent coronavirus researcher from the University of North Carolina, Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale, and was spearheaded by Jesse Bloom, an evolutionary virologist at the University of Washington, and David Relman, a microbiologist at Stanford University.

The letter argues that the recent China-WHO joint study conducted in Wuhan, in January and February of this year, did not give "balanced consideration" to the laboratory leak theory, instead focusing its attention on the spillover hypothesis. 

 

Full article at:

 

https://www.cnet.com/news/leading-coronavirus-researchers-call-for-proper-investigation-into-covid-19-origins/?ftag=CAD-03-10abj4f&bhid=27387568584822941599927611586826&mid=13370367&cid=1494321690

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Canada about to catch up to US in single dose. That is yesterday's data. Today is 45.7%.

 

Screenshot_20210517-184737~2.png

 

 

Screenshot_20210517-204720~2.png

Edited by Jaimito
Link to post
Share on other sites

A financial incentive may be the ticket to get some of the fence dwellers to get the shot. 

 

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-sees-boost-shots-after-it-announces-1-million-vaccination-n1267648

 

Ohio sees boost in shots after it announces $1 million vaccination lottery

Ohio had its highest vaccination day in three weeks after it announced lottery-style drawings for vaccinated Ohioans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, UnkNuk said:

Sir John Bell of Oxford University was on CTV's Question Period today talking about the health risks of AztraZeneca.  Based on some initial test results, he's not keen on mixing the AZ vaccine with other vaccines.

 

 

 

interesting. At around the 3 1/2 minute mark he's talking about the idea of mixing. Both my wife and I are in this situation and are trying to decide if mixing is the right thing.

 

I'm OK with the data on 2nd shots of astra zencia, it appears so far that clots are even rarer on the 2nd dose, which makes sense, its not like you'd go for a 2nd shot if you had an issue with the 1st one. 

 

For me its more about is there more protection by mixing, but that sounds like its not a great idea if your first shot was A-Z. Also sounds like they don't have a lot of info yet.

 

I do wonder about the timing of mixing, was that at 4 weeks or 12 weeks? really need to see more data. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Both my wife and I are in this situation and are trying to decide if mixing is the right thing.

I'm in the same spot, had my first AZ a little over a month back, waiting to see how the mix and match will work.

I've seen that mixing can have an increase of side effects, so a bit more fatigue or headache, which I can accept.

As long as mixing is as effective or more effective, I'd like to go with it. going old school and new school seems like a good idea, but waiting for those numbers till I decide.

I've seen that in June they will release the data on how effective mixing is.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...