The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm in the same spot, had my first AZ a little over a month back, waiting to see how the mix and match will work.

I've seen that mixing can have an increase of side effects, so a bit more fatigue or headache, which I can accept.

As long as mixing is as effective or more effective, I'd like to go with it. going old school and new school seems like a good idea, but waiting for those numbers till I decide.

I've seen that in June they will release the data on how effective mixing is.

Just a reminder that BC is holding back all remaining AZ doses for those who need a second dose,  unless this conversation was about choosing the option of mixing and matching.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gurn said:

I'm in the same spot, had my first AZ a little over a month back, waiting to see how the mix and match will work.

I've seen that mixing can have an increase of side effects, so a bit more fatigue or headache, which I can accept.

As long as mixing is as effective or more effective, I'd like to go with it. going old school and new school seems like a good idea, but waiting for those numbers till I decide.

I've seen that in June they will release the data on how effective mixing is.

I'm not worried about a few days of side effects either if the outcome's better. One thing thats troubling about the treatment of some of the folks who did get clots is the ER sending people home, I'd be demanding immediate scans and not take no for an answer if you felt bad after taking AZ.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

very happy to see this, its too late for many but at least we'll be properly prepared and not at the whim of the US. 

It's definitely a good idea to be prepared...

By the time the next pandemic rolls around, Trump will probably have been re-elected like Grover Cleveland and appointed himself Dictator for Life

• Vintage 1

My wife will be happy with this tidbit of news:

Police now able to enforce mask compliance in B.C. fitness facilities

The province is asking people to contact a local bylaw office in the event of non-compliance 

CBC News · Posted: May 18, 2021 1:38 PM PT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

virus-outbreak.jpg
B.C.'s solicitor general has issued a ministerial order that will allow police to enforce the provincial health officer's mask guidelines in fitness studios. (AP)

B.C.'s solicitor general is aligning the Emergency Program Act on face coverings in fitness facilities with recently updated guidance from the provincial health officer — a move which now gives police and other officials the ability to enforce measures at their discretion.

On May 7, the provincial health officer ordered that masks be worn in fitness facilities which include gyms, fitness studios and dance studios at all times, including during workouts.

"This updated ministerial order on masks ensures a co-ordinated response to COVID-19," according to a statement from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General.

For the purpose of the order, the province defines a mask or face covering as a medical or non-medical mask that covers the nose and mouth. Face shields are not considered a substitute for a mask.

Anyone found not wearing a mask in an indoor public place, or who refuses to comply with an enforcement officer, can be subject to a $230 fine.

The province is asking people to report contraventions of the mask order by contacting a local bylaw office. 

"Local bylaw officers can help follow up on concerns and engage police departments and WorkSafeBC as necessary," according to the statement.

Otherwise, the province says, people can contact their local police department's non-emergency line. 

She was pretty upset when the dance studio she went to refused to ask all participants to wear masks, and was feeling vindictive when the Province announced the temporary closure of all fitness and dance studios due to the increase in cases.  She might not return to the dance studio right away when it opens next (she's feeling ok for now to have virtual classes), but she'll feel much better about going to the studio when she does now that the mask requirement is enforceable through public health order.

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not worried about a few days of side effects either if the outcome's better. One thing thats troubling about the treatment of some of the folks who did get clots is the ER sending people home, I'd be demanding immediate scans and not take no for an answer if you felt bad after taking AZ.

on Friday my gf (who got AZ two weeks earlier) was getting some serious leg cramps and was light headed.  We went to the ER and they shuffled her in ahead of everyone else and gave her all the bells and whistles before giving her the all clear.  She was in there for 3 hours undergoing blood tests, ekg etc etc.

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 3
27 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Trudeau says border restrictions with the US will only be lifted when 75% of the population is vaccinated.

Canada will need 75% vaccination before U.S. border reopens, Trudeau suggests (msn.com)

What happens if we don't reach 75% vaccination?    Does mean the border will remain closed forever?

75% is not a super high bar.  Yukon and NWT are both around 64% of their total population having one dose, that works out to about 80% of eligible adults.   When they include all children, I assume they will be even at a higher rate than 80%.  

• Hydration 1
8 hours ago, BCNeil said:

75% is not a super high bar.  Yukon and NWT are both around 64% of their total population having one dose, that works out to about 80% of eligible adults.   When they include all children, I assume they will be even at a higher rate than 80%.  

I assume he means fully vaccinated though.

• Vintage 1
10 hours ago, DonLever said:

Trudeau says border restrictions with the US will only be lifted when 75% of the population is vaccinated.

Canada will need 75% vaccination before U.S. border reopens, Trudeau suggests (msn.com)

What happens if we don't reach 75% vaccination?    Does mean the border will remain closed forever?

Not much of a traveler myself, but as soon as safe; I'd like to see it open.

Don't rush this, do it right.

• Upvote 1

EU agrees to open doors to vaccinated foreigners

European Union countries agreed on Wednesday to ease COVID-19 travel restrictions on non-EU visitors ahead of the summer tourist season, a move that could open the bloc's door to all Britons and to vaccinated Americans.

Ambassadors from the 27 EU countries approved a European Commission proposal from May 3 to loosen the criteria to determine "safe" countries and to let in fully vaccinated tourists from elsewhere, EU sources said.

They are expected to set a new list this week or early next week. Based on data from the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Britain and a number of other countries would meet the new criteria.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-countries-agree-ease-travel-restictions-non-eu-visitors-2021-05-19/

First real sign of the end of the pandemic? Or too early? 

This should help with the roll-out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57152719

Pfizer vaccine can now be stored in fridge for longer, EU drug regulator says

The European Union's drugs regulator has said the Pfizer Covid vaccine can now be stored at fridge temperature for much longer than it previously recommended.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said that once the vaccines thawed, unopened vials could be kept in the fridge for up to a month.

The current limit is just five days.

The increased flexibility is expected to have a significant impact on the vaccine roll-out across the EU.

The need for transport and storage at very low temperatures has been one of the major disadvantages of the Pfizer jab.

The previous storage requirements for Pfizer vaccines have made them harder to use in some parts of the world.

In February, the United States approved storage and transport of the Pfizer vaccine at standard freezer temperatures of -15 to -25C for up to two weeks, as opposed to between -80 to -60C that it usually requires.

Earlier this month Canada authorised the use of the Pfizer vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15, becoming the first country to do so for that age group.

ADVERTISEMEN
4 hours ago, stawns said:

Yes he does.  But if we are on pace for over 80% of eligible Canadians get their first dose.  Hopefully people will get their second doses as well.  I guess we should start to see where we level off for first doses in the next 3-4 weeks.

13 hours ago, DonLever said:

13 hours ago, BCNeil said:

4 hours ago, stawns said:

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Not much of a traveler myself, but as soon as safe; I'd like to see it open.

Don't rush this, do it right.

I could see it being an issue if it required the US to be 75% fully vaccinated (they have a higher vaccine hesitancy rate and are more likely to have stubborn covidiots who insist on maintaining their "free dumbs"), but I think Canadians are generally a more compliant bunch, and so reaching that threshold shouldn't be much of an issue.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, BCNeil said:

Yes he does.  But if we are on pace for over 80% of eligible Canadians get their first dose.  Hopefully people will get their second doses as well.  I guess we should start to see where we level off for first doses in the next 3-4 weeks.

Once the main wave of second vaccines start to kick in unless you have an increase in the capacity of supply or delivery you will get a big slowdown in first doses, so while you power to good numbers getting past them will take longer than reaching them. 

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I could see it being an issue if it required the US to be 75% fully vaccinated (they have a higher vaccine hesitancy rate and are more likely to have stubborn covidiots who insist on maintaining their "free dumbs"), but I think Canadians are generally a more compliant bunch, and so reaching that threshold shouldn't be much of an issue.

I think a vaccine passport is a reasonable requirement for entry here.

• Hydration 1