The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/florida-concert-tickets-18-vaccinated-1000/story?id=77939060

These Florida concert tickets are $18 if you're vaccinated, $1,000 if you're not

The promoter behind the discount hopes it encourages people to get their shot.

Like getting really sick, having long term side effects, or dying isn't enough of a reason to get vaccinated.  Isn't one of the states offering lottery tickets or some such thing for getting vaccinated?  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like getting really sick, having long term side effects, or dying isn't enough of a reason to get vaccinated.  Isn't one of the states offering lottery tickets or some such thing for getting vaccinated?  

She was apparently on her way to buy a used car when she found out that she won.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/13/996445109/ohio-raises-the-stakes-to-boost-vaccinations-offers-5-1-million-drawings

Ohio Woman Wins A Million Dollars For Being Vaccinated

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It seems to be that some are slipping through the cracks....my son, too.  And he's had respiratory issues his entire life (spent time in an oxygen tent as a newborn).  Had pneumonia twice RIGHT before COVID hit.  His Dad/my ex is severely asthmatic and some of that's been passed along.

He finally gets his on Sunday....but I can't make sense of some of the people getting booked before that.  I'm trying to be patient...but I'm anxious over it all.  He does NOT leave his house...he orders groceries in, works from home, etc.  He's done everything they've asked of him yet he's at the end of the line.  Maybe we have to start looking at all the Alberta plates and make sure the places where clusters are happening do more to shut out "visitors".   Whistler, Kelowna.  I understand making those places a priority to stop the spread...but use an all out attack and don't dabble.

Hang in there!

image.png

Is Colbumians a typo or is that what they call us back east? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Mj2345 said:

If the NY Knicks advance to the second round they’ve announced that tickets will only be available to fully vaccinated fans, they just played 2 games at MSG in front of pretty much full capacity, I guess non vaccinated took a COVID test before being allowed a seat

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Even with Manitoba, Canada's 7 day average is in a nosedive.  The 7 day average from the 4 Friday's this month,  7677, 6462, 4817, 3164.

The Americans are at 22160 right now, divided by 8.75 for capita is 2533.  We can catch them next week.  Their numbers are still going down, but not as fast right now,  

• Cheers 1

We have our second shot appointment, June13 at Fortius in Burnaby. One and a half months sooner than we were told at the time of our first dose. If you got your vaccine before April 15th I believe you have to register again. Do so, and you should get an email very quickly.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

We have our second shot appointment, June13 at Fortius in Burnaby. One and a half months sooner than we were told at the time of our first dose. If you got your vaccine before April 15th I believe you have to register again. Do so, and you should get an email very quickly.

When did you get your first?

I'll have to tell my mom.  She got hers the week of the 15th.  Got mine the 24th.

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

When did you get your first?

I'll have to tell my mom.  She got hers the week of the 15th.  Got mine the 24th.

We got our first on April 5th. It won't hurt to try to register her. I found this part confusing. When I hit the confirm button it said that I was now ready to receive my first shot. Don't let that bother you. Just make sure you record the "R" confirmation number. You need that to book your next vaccination date, as well as your PHN. Good luck, depending where you live you'll get contacted very soon. I know of folks in the Central Interior that have bookings earlier than me, and they are younger than me.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

We got our first on April 5th. It won't hurt to try to register her. I found this part confusing. When I hit the confirm button it said that I was now ready to receive my first shot. Don't let that bother you. Just make sure you record the "R" confirmation number. You need that to book your next vaccination date, as well as your PHN. Good luck, depending where you live you'll get contacted very soon. I know of folks in the Central Interior that have bookings earlier than me, and they are younger than me.

If you’re an older person, who has home care coming once in a while a nurse calls and helps you get an appointment.   And anyone (older) living with you gets their shot at the same time.  That was nice for us older types, who needed the extra help.  

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

If you’re an older person, who has home care coming once in a while a nurse calls and helps you get an appointment.   And anyone (older) living with you gets their shot at the same time.  That was nice for us older types, who needed the extra help.  

Yes, and folks with compromised immunities, which gave my wife an opportunity to have the vaccination sooner. I'm glad many people are on board to get vaccinated, remember folks it isn't only you, it might be your grandparents or Aunt and Uncle.

Edited by johngould21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

From the BC Government's Covid-19 website:

Booking invitations are sent from the Get Vaccinated provincial registration system. You must be registered with the system to get an invitation.

If you are missing your second dose booking invitation, you must register with the system once. This includes people who booked their first dose before April 6 through a health authority call centre:

More information at:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2

• Cheers 2

There are signs the UK is in the early stages of a third wave of coronavirus infections, a scientist advising the government has said. 

Prof Ravi Gupta, from the University of Cambridge, said although new cases were "relatively low" the Indian variant had fuelled "exponential growth". 

He said ending Covid restrictions in England on 21 June should be postponed.

Environment Secretary George Eustice said the government could not rule out a delay to the planned lockdown easing.

But business leaders have warned of the harmful impact of any change to the proposed dates.

On Sunday, the UK reported more than 3,000 new Covid infections for a fifth day in a row. 

Prior to this, the UK had not surpassed that number since 12 April.

Prof Gupta told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the UK was already in a third wave of infections and at least three quarters of cases were the variant identified in India.

He said: "Of course the numbers of cases are relatively low at the moment - all waves start with low numbers of cases that grumble in the background and then become explosive, so the key here is that what we are seeing here is the signs of an early wave."

However, he said the number of people who had been vaccinated in the UK meant this wave would probably take longer to emerge than previous ones.

"There may be a false sense of security for some time, and that's our concern."

Chart showing the number of UK infections is rising slowly

The final stage of the government's roadmap for lifting lockdown would remove all limits on how many people you can meet - either indoors or outdoors.

But Prof Gupta - a member of the government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) - said ending restrictions in June should be delayed "by a few weeks whilst we gather more intelligence".

"If you look at the costs and benefits of getting it wrong, I think it is heavily in favour of delay, so I think that's the key thing," he added.

Businesses on 'cliff edge'

Kate Nicholls, chief executive of UK Hospitality, told BBC News it would be "devastating" for the sector if they were not able to fully reopen in June, with many hospitality venues currently operating at 60% capacity because of social distancing rules. 

She said some businesses were "haemorrhaging cash" and a delay would "push them closer to the cliff edge of business failure".

Greg Parmley, chief executive of live music trade association Live, said the whole sector - from festivals to small venues - was "completely geared up" for a return from 21 June after being closed for more than a year. 

He said the government's series of trial events had shown "music events can be held safely, with almost no Covid impact, so there is no reason to keep us closed any longer".

2px presentational grey line
Analysis box by Nick Eardley, political correspondent

Three weeks today has been dubbed Freedom Day by some - the point at which the remaining restrictions are due to be lifted in England.

But there's increasing nervousness about whether it can go ahead in full because of the Indian variant.

And now you're seeing some of the different pressures the government is going to have to weigh up.

Nervtag scientist Prof Ravi Gupta is urging minister to postpone 21 June by a few weeks to give more time for second vaccination doses to be done.

In the Telegraph, the British Chambers of Commerce warns the government against "rolling back on the roadmap" - saying it would be "astonishing" for the government to change tack.

And ministers? They say it's too early to make a firm decision. They're waiting for more data over the coming fortnight. Many will be watching to see what it says.

2px presentational grey line

Mr Eustice told the BBC the government had to take things "one step at a time".

"We can't rule anything out. We know this has been a difficult pandemic, a dynamic situation. We have to make that judgment a couple of weeks before. 

"It will only be by then that we will see the impact of the latest easement we made on 17 May."

The timetable for relaxing Covid measures varies across the UK. The Scottish governmenthopes to lift more restrictions on 7 June, while in Wales there is due to be a review on 3 June. In Northern Ireland some measures were relaxed on 24 May - the next review is due on 10 June. 

A final decision on whether restrictions will be lifted in England will be reached on 14 June.

UK not out of the water yet even with strong vaccination programs 

• Thanks 2

Vaccination error: A dozen youth mistakenly given the wrong COVID-19 shot in Vancouver

Vancouver Coastal Health is apologizing and says it's updating its immunization processes after confirming a dozen incidents in which youth were given the wrong COVID-19 vaccine.

The health authority says the errors happened Friday and Saturday during the first full week that kids aged 12 to 17 could get their first dose.

It says in a statement that 12 youth received doses of Moderna rather than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which is the only COVID-19 vaccine approved for use in those between 12 and 17 in Canada.

It says Moderna recently announced that clinical trials for adolescents found its vaccine to be safe and effective, but its use for people under 18 has yet to be approved in Canada.

The statement says Vancouver Coastal Health medical officers do not believe the use of Moderna will impact the 12 youth who received the shot.

It says the people who administered the shots recognized their error and disclosed it to the clients and their families, and additional education and processes are now in place to help make sure it doesn't happen again.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/vaccination-error-a-dozen-youth-mistakenly-given-the-wrong-covid-19-shot-in-vancouver-1.5450414