The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, 4petesake said:

When my wife and I got our Pfizer shots we were told the second would be in 16 weeks. As we were walking out I said 20 bucks says that now that there are more doses available there will soon be an announcement that the interval will be shortened considerably. IMHO the dosage interval laid out by the government has always been more about supply availability than the optimum efficacy. I do believe that Pfizer originally said 3 weeks.

my gf just got a text that they have extra doses today.  She got AZ for the first and this will be pfizer, but it's been about 6 weeks, so she's not sure if it's too soon

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I was about 7-8, but it wasn't a booked shot.  Pfizer themselves said 3-4 didn't they?

https://www.pfizer.ca/statement-pfizer-position-dosing-intervals-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

I believe it was.

But the point of my post was that, from what the lady I spoke to told me, if you book your appointment for a second shot on a date that is less than eight weeks from your first shot, there may be a risk that you'll be refused service at the vaccination clinic when you show up and be told to re-book.  

Which would be a nuisance. 

• Vintage 2

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I believe it was.

But the point of my post was that, from what the lady I spoke to told me, if you book your appointment for a second shot on a date that is less than eight weeks from your first shot, there may be a risk that you'll be refused service at the vaccination clinic when you show up and be told to re-book.  

Which would be a nuisance. 

Or, you just wait for the 8 weeks...like the rest of us. We have been dealing with Covid for 18 months almost, surely people can wait 8 weeks in between jab 1 & 2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Or, you just wait for the 8 weeks...like the rest of us. We have been dealing with Covid for 18 months almost, surely people can wait 8 weeks in between jab 1 & 2

Yes, of course.

The point of my post was to give a (hopefully helpful) heads up about booking your second shot.

Again:  IF you receive your second dose  email/text notice from the BC Vaccination folks you MAY find that you seem to be able to book, online, an early vaccination date ie one that is less than eight weeks from your first dose.

Be careful about doing that because you MAY find that when you go for your second shot they refuse to give it to you and you'll have to re-book. 

But perhaps everyone here already knew about the eight week waiting period.  I didn't, until I phoned the Vaccine hotline and the lady there explained the situation as I outlined in my earlier post. 

• Cheers 2

The fear now is that the Indian Variant B 1.617 may outpace and overtake the current vaccine rollout and effectiveness.    Too bad so many travelers were allowed in from there for over a year when it was confirmed early on that nearly every flight from India had at least one positive case on board let alone the many who were caught with fake / fraudulent negative test reports they bought on line to try and fool enforcement efforts.  (What kind of humans would stoop so low and get on a plane with covid and/or fake test result documents and jeopardize others?) 

The Government knew about this for awhile and was too slow to clamp down on that and now that variant is taking hold in few pockets in our country (mainly Brampton and Surrey) and spreading much more easily.   Hopefully that can be contained or we'll likely see a fourth wave in about 2 months like the U.K. is starting to see with this same variant.  Fingers crossed !

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

UK questioning whether to reopen because of variants and everyone here is expecting things to be "normal" in a couple months.

I don't think anyone is expecting normal.  I think most are expecting an easing into a re-opening with sporadic steps back when cases flare up.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think anyone is expecting normal.  I think most are expecting an easing into a re-opening with sporadic steps back when cases flare up.

just give me inter provincial travel, adult outdoor sports, and I'll be okay for another year  that's normal enough for me 

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, stawns said:

I am totally expecting things to go back to normal. It went normal very fast after spanish flu pandemic -without any vaccines and with much higher mortality rate.. Why we can go back to normal now having many vaccines available?

11 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I am totally expecting things to go back to normal. It went normal very fast after spanish flu pandemic -without any vaccines and with much higher mortality rate.. Why we can go back to normal now having many vaccines available?

I guess it depends on what we see as normal, right?  Yes, we will (over time) see full rinks, bars, and such.  But we will also see some people choosing to wear N95 masks when out in public.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Well for one, I'm sure workplaces will have a lot more stringent "stay at home if you feel sick" policies. 

Behaviours will change. For example, I plan on wearing a mask at all times when on public transit from now on. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I guess it depends on what we see as normal, right?  Yes, we will (over time) see full rinks, bars, and such.  But we will also see some people choosing to wear N95 masks when out in public.  

Like me, as well as my family. I intend on wearing a mask in a public place for a long time. The fact that I haven't had a cold or flu in a year and a half is two of the reasons.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Like me, as well as my family. I intend on wearing a mask in a public place for a long time. The fact that I haven't had a cold or flu in a year and a half is two of the reasons.

This is the first winter in my 15 year career that I did not get the flu.  That's unheard of for a teacher.

We'll definitely go back to "normal" in some ways, but I think this pandemic has changed things permanently as well.

Personally, this has drawn a line in the sand for me with people who put "me" before "we".  I have patience for them anymore

• Cheers 2