The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Does USA really have that low of standards for nurses or are there nurse professions that really include zero education?

In the 1950's hospitals trained nurses. My Mom got to be an ER Nurse and RN. My niece who's a LPN had years at BCIT and then completed work semesters at VGH. 

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Canada 7 day average, 1547.  That finally gets us back below the Americans.  We also take the lead in first dosages from Israel today.  

• Vintage 1

image.thumb.png.b43172638df6732fd2a264f126496959.pngimage.jpeg.34518c96a17de3bb1c8489edebecac07.jpegimage.thumb.png.5af0e76b20489d75dbbc5d037db937e8.png

that low point was the day we eased the restrictions on being able to go into people’s homes.

since then the delta variant has taken root, this is predominantly in the younger age groups and there is positive signs that the vaccine programs are working as the hospitalisation rates are down 

image.thumb.png.54f40c3263f84b1283204692e31897a7.png

however its unlikely that the next wave of restrictions will be lifted to schedule now and we may see some reversals and head back towards more lockdown measures.

10 hours ago, BCNeil said:

Canada 7 day average, 1547.  That finally gets us back below the Americans.  We also take the lead in first dosages from Israel today.  

Yes. #1 in first dose per capita among all countries greater than 1 million in population. 

Keep going. All of my family in BC older than 55 got second dose invites this month, and more expected to get theirs in the coming weeks. 

75% single /20% double by Canada day is realistic. 

Screenshot_20210611-084052~2.png

first jab April 15 of AZ

2nd jab of either Phifzer or Moderna, apparently THEIR choice on June 15; at least according to the e mail.

Also note-I had to call them as the code sent out with the email was wrong number, then when talking to the lady on the phone she sent me another number that was wrong; so she verbally gives me another confirm number. All good except a half hour later another e mail shows up with a different confirm code.

So I'm going with 3 different numbers and I'll let the people at the clinic decide which gets used.

One thing about the choice of second vaccinne being on them, I don't have to do any research on preference, take what I get and look at the studies on effectiveness later.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I feel thankful for all the Canadian staff, whether it's the politicians, the businessmen, and the medical team, for giving us the chance to survive this corona. There are other countries that just don't care about its people, and will turn a blind eye. We've seen examples in the US and in Brazil, but also the rest of the world.

Sure, Canada has not been perfect in how they handled this crisis, whether it's their messaging, or their lockdowns, or what not. However, one thing for sure is that the country was trying to keep us safe, while trying not to affect the economy too much. Canada did pull its act together with the vaccine distribution, and this is the result.

When the vaccine roll outs were dragging, Trudeau was getting blamed for everything. I'm not a Trudeau voter either, but he and most Canadian Gov'ts have done very well at handling this virus, contrary to all the naysayers. I believe other than the tourism industry, our economy has rebounded very well, and because it involves opening the borders completely until we've reached well over 70% vaccinated, I don't care when that border opens. Stay the course, I say.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I feel thankful for all the Canadian staff, whether it's the politicians, the businessmen, and the medical team, for giving us the chance to survive this corona. There are other countries that just don't care about its people, and will turn a blind eye. We've seen examples in the US and in Brazil, but also the rest of the world.

Sure, Canada has not been perfect in how they handled this crisis, whether it's their messaging, or their lockdowns, or what not. However, one thing for sure is that the country was trying to keep us safe, while trying not to affect the economy too much. Canada did pull its act together with the vaccine distribution, and this is the result.

Funny I was just saying this to my daughter on the phone.  Had to go for my 4th COVID test just now (work in a school, have some symptoms that are beyond the 48 hour vax reaction timeline).

How lucky we are to have the ability to drive up and get a test done at will.  To have a system that is fairly easy to  navigate, despite a few bumps in the road.

I am eternally grateful for all who make that happen.  And I make sure that each and every person who comes out to collect my spit in a tube knows that I truly appreciate them and the tough job they do.  I take none of it for granted.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

When the vaccine roll outs were dragging, Trudeau was getting blamed for everything. I'm not a Trudeau voter either, but he and most Canadian Gov'ts have done very well at handling this virus, contrary to all the naysayers. I believe other than the tourism industry, our economy has rebounded very well, and because it involves opening the borders completely until we've reached well over 70% vaccinated, I don't care when that border opens. Stay the course, I say.

True, but...

We are all Canadians and we are known around for not rocking the boat or going against what "Experts" tell us. So, I still think there is some blame for not securing more vaccines earlier or not stopping international travel (unless extreme family health issues) which lead to our biggest surge of Covid 1 year after it started. I still hope we look at investing into our own Vaccine site, rather spend Millions or even Billions on that Vs. buying expensive fighter jet planes for 2 reasons...

1. Canada is to nice and won't start a war or be the target of the start of a new war

2. Even if we replace the figther jets our military is still going to be far behind other countries

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

True, but...

We are all Canadians and we are known around for not rocking the boat or going against what "Experts" tell us. So, I still think there is some blame for not securing more vaccines earlier or not stopping international travel (unless extreme family health issues) which lead to our biggest surge of Covid 1 year after it started. I still hope we look at investing into our own Vaccine site, rather spend Millions or even Billions on that Vs. buying expensive fighter jet planes for 2 reasons...

1. Canada is to nice and won't start a war or be the target of the start of a new war

2. Even if we replace the figther jets our military is still going to be far behind other countries

There was this announcement last month.  It's a start.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-200-million-mrna-1.6031024

Federal government invests $200 million to build an mRNA vaccine plant in Ontario

Expansion of Mississauga, Ont., site will allow Resilience Biotechnologies to produce millions of shots

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Funny I was just saying this to my daughter on the phone.  Had to go for my 4th COVID test just now (work in a school, have some symptoms that are beyond the 48 hour vax reaction timeline).

How lucky we are to have the ability to drive up and get a test done at will.  To have a system that is fairly easy to  navigate, despite a few bumps in the road.

I am eternally grateful for all who make that happen.  And I make sure that each and every person who comes out to collect my spit in a tube knows that I truly appreciate them and the tough job they do.  I take none of it for granted.

Are you able to do at home tests as well or just drop in centres?

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

True, but...

To go off on a tangent I think in the world climate we are in rather than jets Canada should be investing in its maritime presence,  whether than it through aerial reconnaissance and submarine detection through to military icebreakers in the NW passage. Also of America tried to pull a freedom of the seas move in there again tell them where to jump otherwise they are handing the artic over to the Russians 

Full speed ahead for that seconds dose. 

Feds says all the doses needed to fully vaccinate everyone 12+ in all the territories will be shipped by this weekend. 

Screenshot_20210611-084321~2.png

Screenshot_20210611-084140~2.png

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I think he's done an incredible job considering we don't even make vaccines domestically.  We are very lucky to live in Canada, where our health is a priority.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1