The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

14 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Bonnie just confirmed we have already hit our June 15th immunization target.  65.8% of 18+.  Those 70% goals should be hit by Monday.  

I'm surprised at how many 12 year olds are getting their shots.  Over half my class of eligible age have already got their first jab

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm surprised at how many 12 year olds are getting their shots.  Over half my class of eligible age have already got their first jab

I've heard in some areas more 12-17 year olds have got the vaccine, than the 18-25 age group.  Because they can go in with their parents during their appointments.  Whereas the 18-25 had to book and those bookings are just coming up now.

2 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Cases went up today to 378 but second doses will ramp up which is great news

Yes. Daily rates can flux a bit. The 7 day ave is trending in the right direction though. Don't go visit AB or MB please. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
13 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Cases went up today to 378 but second doses will ramp up which is great news

Its best to compare each day of the week with the same day from the last week, as there is a lot of variation in the number of tests being done on different days of the week.

Then the long weekend messes that up even more.  Last week we had 521 cases Wednesday and 357 Thursday.  This week 250 on Wednesday and 378 on Thursday, the holiday Monday shifted some cases ahead.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Funny how even a couple of months ago, the idea of this virus leaking from the Wuhan Institute of Virology was met with derision and mockery from so many "informed" folks. Many passing it off as a conspiracy theory.

Yet, now it's being considered and the majority of people who mocked and derided are as quiet as field mice. What a shock that the Chinese Communist Party isn't willing to work with the international community one bit. The CCP has proven over and over again how irresponsible they are when it comes to communication with other countries. They can't and shouldn't be trusted. Nor should the WHO. 

I always thought it was a possibility. I've heard about the CCP doing all sorts of offside lab stuff and even offshore in NK for the really dicey stuff ( human cloning for organs etc) of course I take it with a big grain of salt. 

If  covid was a leak/accident then the criticism should be why they waited so long after seeing the Drs falling ill. If it is some how found out that it was intentional, then that should be the beginning of ...

The John Cena thingy shows me that the dislike/trust of the CCP has spread across the political spectrum. Everyone on all sides seem to be PO'd at him.

It's long over due that we stop buying Chinese goods. We the people could impact them and if there was pressure on our no backbone gov's in the West, we could see change. 

Gotta try to bridge the left/ right divide and see the real evil is the giant corps and top money earners that can influence the politicians.

• Vintage 1
1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I always thought it was a possibility. I've heard about the CCP doing all sorts of offside lab stuff and even offshore in NK for the really dicey stuff ( human cloning for organs etc) of course I take it with a big grain of salt. 

If  covid was a leak/accident then the criticism should be why they waited so long after seeing the Drs falling ill. If it is some how found out that it was intentional, then that should be the beginning of ...

Highly doubt it would have been intentional, but wouldn't be surprised with how sociopathic the CCP is towards the safety of their own people. There were three lab workers in the WIV that fell ill in November 2019 with what was thought to have been pneumonia, with two of the people needing hospitalization.  

The John Cena thingy shows me that the dislike/trust of the CCP has spread across the political spectrum. Everyone on all sides seem to be PO'd at him.

People like Cena will ally themselves with who makes them the most money. Same with Lebron James and half of the NBA. 

It's long over due that we stop buying Chinese goods. We the people could impact them and if there was pressure on our no backbone gov's in the West, we could see change. 

I agree. Putting it into practice is a lot harder seeing as how much of what is manufactured globally comes from China. Can only imagine the deplorable pay and conditions the average manufacturing worker deals with. It's up to the people to make the moves to get rid of governments that don't work for them. Hopefully that happens. 

Gotta try to bridge the left/ right divide and see the real evil is the giant corps and top money earners that can influence the politicians.

That's easy enough. All one has to do is think for themselves and be willing to have a discussion where they actually listen to the other person's viewpoints without ego or the need to be right. Sadly, there are too many drones in society who are all too happy to follow orders and obey. 

• Hydration 2
  • Sedinery 1
59 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yes. Daily rates can flux a bit. The 7 day ave is trending in the right direction though. Don't go visit AB or MB please. 

eh, Alberta isn't a toxic wasteland filled with covid and mass graves. one of these graph's is bc and one is Alberta. Of all the provinces Alberta is second to Quebec in vaccine doses per 100k people.and is leading in second doses (protecting our most vulnerable) by a margin of 2/1 over the next highest province. there's very good reason to believe our active cases will continue to drop.

alberta.JPG.be81e265bd158b5781856d5c7818c50b.JPGbc.JPG.63b8b1294a6d8983ff4d20cc2f56904c.JPG

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Funny how even a couple of months ago, the idea of this virus leaking from the Wuhan Institute of Virology was met with derision and mockery from so many "informed" folks. Many passing it off as a conspiracy theory.

Yet, now it's being considered and the majority of people who mocked and derided are as quiet as field mice. What a shock that the Chinese Communist Party isn't willing to work with the international community one bit. The CCP has proven over and over again how irresponsible they are when it comes to communication with other countries. They can't and shouldn't be trusted. Nor should the WHO. 

nothing has changed for me.  The most esteemed epidemiological experts in the world have been pretty adamant that it is likely zoological in origin.  That the US, regardless of who is on the WH, is trying to pin this on the evil empire of China doesn't surprise me one bit, nor does it change my mind.  

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, BCNeil said:

I've heard in some areas more 12-17 year olds have got the vaccine, than the 18-25 age group.  Because they can go in with their parents during their appointments.  Whereas the 18-25 had to book and those bookings are just coming up now.

yup, I'd say that's the trend alright

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pretty likely? Wow, that sounds like it’s totally based on facts.

No one actually knows, even Dr. Anthony Fauci (maybe one of those esteemed folks you speak of?) is questioning its origin as well.

I’m not sure it’s as simple as your trying to make it out to be either, that the US is trying to “pin” the pandemic on China. The virus originated from there, did it not? As did SARS.  

The American government were actively working with the WIV for years, with virologists from both countries working with each other in both countries. As well as Canadian scientists. 

Quite a few scientists, I believe up to 500, have requested that governments take a closer look at the origins of Covid 19. Considering how secretive the CCP (not China mind you, as their are plenty of citizens of that country who are victims of the government) has been since November of 2019, it’s very possible that they tried to cover up a leak from the WIV to protect their own interests. 

I'm not saying that their wet markets are good or that China doesn't shoulder some responsibility, but it's pretty clear this is a political ploy being used to make it a deliberate, state sponsored move.  As someone who lived through the Cold war, it's a pretty familiar ploy used by both the US and Soviets during that time.

I'm not against investigating how it started and how it spread, I just don't but the politization of it as genuine

• Vintage 1
3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not quiet at all.  Many scientists have spoken on this and they are not convinced since there is no fact that suggest it is a lab leak. You can't prove a negative event so people keep on speculating. There is still no facts at all. They rehashed bunch of speculations from last year that were all debunked, like how furin cleavage site in the spike protein is man made. Turns out it is present in wild animal coronaviruses.  RATG13 was sequenced year ago, but it so different from SARS-CoV-2 that it isn't the backbone. Their common ancestor is likely decades ago. The allegedly sick lab workers were tested, and were negative for Covid and had no antibodies. They probably ate some bad Wuhan hot noodles and got sick. But you can just take a note left by Trump admin before he left office and call that intelligence a fact.   

Here is the interview with some of the members who went on the WHO visit. They said it wasn't a lab audit, which is what many wanted. You can dismiss WHO all you want. The China will not let US go in there for that, no less than US CDC will let any Chinese officials go in their Atlanta P4 lab.  

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying that their wet markets are good or that China doesn't shoulder some responsibility, but it's pretty clear this is a political ploy being used to make it a deliberate, state sponsored move.  As someone who lived through the Cold war, it's a pretty familiar ploy used by both the US and Soviets during that time.

The CCP shoulders the majority of the responsibility. China? Not so much, as the populace was victimized by the government’s failure to act sooner and be transparent about what happened. 

The Cold War involved two countries essentially. This pandemic has involved every country on the earth. Being transparent with the rest of the world would have helped this from becoming as bad as it’s been. Yet the CCP sought to censure their own citizens when they attempted to warn people. That’s not a trustworthy approach to world affairs. And I’m aware of the record that the US has on the world stage as well, namely as an aggressor. 

I'm not against investigating how it started and how it spread, I just don't but the politization of it as genuine

Same here. It seems though that the government that has a stranglehold on the Chinese populace is against further investigation. 

• Hydration 1

Up til now I've been thinking about the origin of covid-19 in terms of two scenarios.  

One, it was a natural occurring virus that directly infected a human or was passed to a human through another animal.

Two, it was a man-made, genetically modified version of a virus that escaped from the Wuhan lab.

But there is a third option.  Which many people may have realized but I didn't.  Namely, that covid-19 is a natural occurring virus that was present in bats that were brought to the Wuhan lab and which infected lab workers.   That is, there was no genetic manipulation involved.  It was a natural occurring virus as many argue.  But the transferrence just happened to occur in a lab, not out in nature.  So it did emanate, in a sense, from the lab, as others argue.