The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I think he's done an incredible job considering we don't even make vaccines domestically.  We are very lucky to live in Canada, where our health is a priority.

I believe many Countries in the World now realize this. We have all the ingredients for making masks and other PPE needed supplies as well. We lost so much ground because of this due to past decisions in this Country. Relying on the good ole US of A for everything under a President like the previous one proved that. Trudeau has put Canadians first in his policies regarding healthcare. Scientists and Doctors are leading the way.

13 hours ago, brilac said:

Received my second vaccine today! My arm is already sore. I asked if I could drink champagne and was advised not to, so I had pizza and some of my dessert. 

Can I ask, where to you live? Seattle I think? My niece and her family all have their first, and she and her husband are fully vaccinated, and they live in the University district. I can't believe the number of people that I know just in our immediate neighbourhood that have received their 2nd doses. Mind you, we're mostly 70 plus years old. Which makes me wonder why our overall % of total vaccinations isn't as high as other Countries.

Edited by johngould21

6 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Can I ask, where to you live? Seattle I think? My niece and her family all have their first, and she and her husband are fully vaccinated, and they live in the University district. I can't believe the number of people that I know just in our immediate neighbourhood that have received their 2nd doses. Mind you, we're mostly 70 plus years old. Which makes me wonder why our overall % of total vaccinations isn't as high as other Countries.

I live in Seattle.  Nice, I have not been over to the University district in over a year. I used to go over there for the second hand shops like the Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads. The second dose has hit me - I have a massive headache and chills. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Our G-7 world leaders setting a terrible example

No physical distancing or masks

spacer.png

part of my hopes they are all looking at the giant Trump baby balloon in this pic.

Aren't they all fully vaccinated and outside? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Has this ever been asked or stated of and by Medical officials? How many of the positive cases haven't had at least one dose of vaccine? I'm sure it isn't many, that alone should be a reason to get vaccinated.

not sure, but just saw this: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/virtually-all-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-one-thing-common-they-n1270482

no surprise, its the unvaccinated who are now making up the vast majority of hospitalizations. Some people just have to touch the hot stove I guess. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Our G-7 world leaders setting a terrible example

No physical distancing or masks

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

part of my hopes they are all looking at the giant Trump baby balloon in this pic.

Aren't they all fully vaccinated and outside? 

I had to do a little digging individually.  Most of these articles are from when they received their first jabs.  I also imagine that there was testing involved as well.  Even TRUMP's White House was doing testing.  

And BTW Mack, they kinda were demonstrating guidelines that the CDC has for fully vaccinated people.  See here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Biden USA:

Biden receives first dose of Covid-19 vaccine on live television

Trudeau Canada:

'Very excited': Prime Minister Trudeau receives first dose of COVID-19 AstraZeneca vaccine

Johnson UK:

Covid vaccine: PM receives AstraZeneca jab as he urges public to do same

Macron France:

France's Macron says he has been vaccinated for COVID-19

Merkel Germany:

Angela Merkel gets her AstraZeneca COVID vaccine shot

Draghi Italy:

Italy's Draghi and wife receive AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine

Suga Japan:

Japan PM Suga receives COVID-19 vaccination ahead of Biden meeting in U.S.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure, but just saw this: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/virtually-all-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-one-thing-common-they-n1270482

no surprise, its the unvaccinated who are now making up the vast majority of hospitalizations. Some people just have to touch the hot stove I guess. 

Maybe a threat of having to pay for treatment in an ICU would help.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Has this ever been asked or stated of and by Medical officials? How many of the positive cases haven't had at least one dose of vaccine? I'm sure it isn't many, that alone should be a reason to get vaccinated.

Its kind of a hard statistic to use.  Because as more people get vaccinated, a higher percent of the daily cases will be vaccinated people.  But on a much lower number of daily cases.  Last week Alberta said about 3% of their hospitalizations were people infected greater than 2 weeks after they were vaccinated (first dose).  Web MD.  Has an article from a month ago saying for 2021, 99% of hospitalizations weren't fully vaccinated.  https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210513/over-_99-percent-hospitalized-2021-covid-patients-unvaccinated

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It always was ;)  It was 100% now its high 90s 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Its kind of a hard statistic to use.  Because as more people get vaccinated, a higher percent of the daily cases will be vaccinated people.  But on a much lower number of daily cases.  Last week Alberta said about 3% of their hospitalizations were people infected greater than 2 weeks after they were vaccinated (first dose).  Web MD.  Has an article from a month ago saying for 2021, 99% of hospitalizations weren't fully vaccinated.  https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210513/over-_99-percent-hospitalized-2021-covid-patients-unvaccinated

It always was ;)  It was 100% now its high 90s 

Its tracked in the UK, and it’s the same with the non vaccinated, however I wouldn’t castigate them as it’s likely to be the younger groups at the end of the list being impacted at the moment 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Our healthcare system doesn’t penalize (financially) people who make poor lifestyle choices, so I don’t see us penalizing the antivaxxers that way.  I think something like 78% of Covid hospitalized people were (are) grossly overweight and obese.  I prefer sin taxes.  Tax the heck out of poor food choices, smoking, etc.  Really after Covid is put behind us, we need to resolve the obesity problem.  

At least in Canada some of the Provinces are doing just that, taxes on cigarettes, booze, and soda/snacks. Unfortunately, I am of the belief that chips and nuts are a "food group". I saw a feature on 60 Minutes I believe, that showed the beginning of type 2 diabetes. TV ads, and fast food meals were the beginning, as in the early 80's there were hardly any cases of the disease.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

At least in Canada some of the Provinces are doing just that, taxes on cigarettes, booze, and soda/snacks. Unfortunately, I am of the belief that chips and nuts are a "food group". I saw a feature on 60 Minutes I believe, that showed the beginning of type 2 diabetes. TV ads, and fast food meals were the beginning, as in the early 80's there were hardly any cases of the disease.

I’m glad how well the vast majority of Canadians did with this Covid pandemic listening to our healthcare people, and following guidelines.  And now we are mostly all getting vaccinated too.  To me that’s a very good sign that shows people will listen and change behaviour.  Education will help us improve our weight (fat %) too.  I think we will see a much healthier (not so overweight) society when the next pandemic strikes.  

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m glad how well the vast majority of Canadians did with this Covid pandemic listening to our healthcare people, and following guidelines.  And now we are mostly all getting vaccinated too.  To me that’s a very good sign that shows people will listen and change behaviour.  Education will help us improve our weight (fat %) too.  I think we will see a much healthier (not so overweight) society when the next pandemic strikes.  

Exercise is a very good start. The benefits of a half hour walk make many realize that a short outing has more benefits than one could imagine. In the great outdoors, you might meet a neighbour that you didn't know existed, or run into people that you've known for years. I have, and I do, very often. Today at the Christine Sinclair Center, I saw a 97 year old lady getting her second vaccination, and a young girl getting her first. Very busy, and very well organized. Now if we could only convince the "God will take good care of me" folks, to take the jab, we would be well on our way.

• Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, brilac said:

At least it was dessert and pizza.  I had side affects from the second shot.  I was told within 24-36 hours, but I started feeling it that night and slept all day yesterday. But I feel good today. 

that reminds me i got a txt saying i can book my 2nd one, gunna do that tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe I am a cynic but people change only when there is a direct impact, COVID is likely an exception not the example of the norm.

Hence why financial incentive/penalties are used because of you break it down it all comes down to how much it costs. 

if a take away pizza or supermarket frozen pizza cost 10x what it did today people would buy a cheaper alternative or buy the raw ingredients and make it at home. 

Manufacturers would then look to get in line with the laws to avoid any tax levied on it. The sugar tax in the UK saw a lot of manufacturers reducing the sugar in their carbonated beverages,  others went the route of cutting the size of the bottles they sell to limit the additional tax levied on it. 

people generally will do what is cheaper and easier, if you use the economic levers to make this healthier options then people will chose them.

also on food if you get a chance to watch this (might need a VPN set to UK) it’s very interesting 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000wgcd/what-are-we-feeding-our-kids

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1