The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Wow, Boris Johnson.

Good for you.

@Scottish⑦Canuck is this true?  Is he really going to let the demographic that put him in power, the 50+ crowd just be exposed to this?

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/insane-uk-plan-to-let-covid-19-spread-might-kill-half-a-million-people-expert/ar-BB11dQv0?ocid=spartanntp&fbclid=IwAR2xQ3a7wzQSeUjppW5if0rByLrr_5EDOYoYUjQpnaSiMbvpTjVvo9B4XoE

The department I work in contacted employees at home last night and told us to stay home today. Only essential services need to continue working for now. In my 32 years I've never been told to stay home. I guess they'll be updating me as this goes on. The world is shutting down. Kind of feels like the beginning of an apocalypse. 

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Financial services. Including IT for financial services.

I, personally, have been able to work from home for years.

I hear ya. Software development and support company. In theory we can. This whole thing is done remotely as most customers are in the US. There's no reason why we couldn't all go home right now and do this. I understand from the management perspective of people 'not really working' at home, but they're going to be a lot worse off if someone here gets sick and brings it to the office.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Philippines president Duterte announces that Luzon to go into lockdown

Mon 16 Mar 2020 07:47:46 GMT

Luzon is the largest island in the Philippines, housing a population of more than 57 million people

Last week, Manila was brought into lockdown but now it looks like this will extend to the entire island and impact over 57 million people in the country.

Why doesn't Duterte just pray the virus away, like he did with his "gayness'?

4 hours ago, samurai said:

is that the best you can offer up?  I enjoy a good slap back and you haven't delivered one.  I am disappointed.

As a guy that pays to get slapped, I've learned to never complain when it happens for free.. :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Also posted in music thread...

In honour of greatest global crisis of my lifetime

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Taken from News 1130:

"Asked again “Why not shut down our borders?” Tam repeats that has not been effective in the past and the movement of goods needs to continue."

The second part of Tam's response tells you exactly what is happening in that room.  Perhaps she may honestly feel that shutting borders has not been effective in the past, but there is no way that Tam is the one at the table stating that the movement of goods needs to continue.

of course movement of goods need to continue, how is it even an option to not be? Hong Kong didn't ban the movement of goods. Duodenum's graph above shows you don't beed to ban movement of goods. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Make no mistake.  I work in a senior capacity with a government sector that is extremely political.  If it is anything like the meetings we have, what is likely happening is you have medical officers on one side of the table, and economic and business advisors on the other side.  Trudeau is in the middle and is finding middle ground to appease both sides.  I find it highly unlikely that medical professionals in speaking to their colleagues around the world would recommend to keep borders open and just tell people to self isolate for 14 days given the projected trajectories of this pandemic.

It’s a virus for which we have no herd immunity.  It’s got to work its natural course until we develop a herd immunity.  We are taking actions to slow the infection rate, so hospitals are not overwhelmed.  But thinking we will not have the virus sweep through our community is wrong.  It will sweep through.  It has to.  People will get sick.  The vast majority will present mild symptoms and continue their daily lives.  A few will feel crappy, and stay home.  A tiny amount will get really ill and die (they are the weak, and it’s nature’s way to say it’s their time).  If this was killing children, and healthy people in the primes of their lives, then we need to worry, and do whatever possible to protect those groups.  It’s not though. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

very cool simulation here from the Washington Post on how viruses spread and why social distancing can be effective in flattening the curve:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?itid=hp_hp-banner-low_virus-simulator520pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Flattening the curve, but not stopping the eventual sweeping through society.  All we’re doing is slowing it down.  It still must run its course.  We must, as a herd, develop immunity.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Their was another article saying he went MIA and didn’t donate, so Tennessee Gov basically raided his storage unit. 

Not sure what’s true or not or timelines of stories.

FaEKnEWZ EVRYWHERZZZ?!?&&&!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a virus for which we have no herd immunity.  It’s got to work its natural course until we develop a herd immunity.  We are taking actions to slow the infection rate, so hospitals are not overwhelmed.  But thinking we will not have the virus sweep through our community is wrong.  It will sweep through.  It has to.  People will get sick.  The vast majority will present mild symptoms and continue their daily lives.  A few will feel crappy, and stay home.  A tiny amount will get really ill and die (they are the weak, and it’s nature’s way to say it’s their time).  If this was killing children, and healthy people in the primes of their lives, then we need to worry, and do whatever possible to protect those groups.  It’s not though. 

its all about flattening the curve now. 

Whats really hopeful tho is now that they can grow this thing in the lab they can test out whats the most effective symptom treatments and possibly really reduce those severe cases, that would settle things down a lot. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of course movement of goods need to continue, how is it even an option to not be? Hong Kong didn't ban the movement of goods. Duodenum's graph above shows you don't beed to ban movement of goods. 

You're missing the point Jimmy.  I'm not disagreeing with you that goods can continue to move from country to country.  I'm saying that the poltical table is definitely pitting medical professionals against economic/business folks, and Trudeau is providing solutions in the middle when in reality, if stopping the virus is the priority, the borders need to close, and measures need to be taken within Canada to enforce social distancing.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You're missing the point Jimmy.  I'm not disagreeing with you that goods can continue to move from country to country.  I'm saying that the poltical table is definitely pitting medical professionals against economic/business folks, and Trudeau is providing solutions in the middle when in reality, if stopping the virus is the priority, the borders need to close, and measures need to be taken within Canada to enforce social distancing.

:lol:

A society in today’s world cannot stop a virus.  If fact that’s the worst thing to do.  We need to build a herd immunity within our society in order to protect against (down the road) mutations.  History shows this.  Look at the Natives, and how they were so terribly affected by European diseases.  The Euros had herd immunity; the natives (sadly) didn’t.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A society in today’s world cannot stop a virus.  If fact that’s the worst thing to do.  We need to build a herd immunity within our society in order to protect against (down the road) mutations.  History shows this.  Look at the Natives, and how they were so terribly affected by European diseases.  The Euros had herd immunity; the natives (sadly) didn’t.  

Tough for those natives to develop Kevlar skin to have an immunity to bullets.:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

closing the borders is too late.  The WHO has already said this.   Taiwan was the only country that got it right - back in mid January not mid March.  I live in Tokyo and there hasn't been a massive outbreak that you would expect for such a densely populated area - 40 million passengers ride the trains everyday.   All major sporting events have been stopped, but none of the 15 clusters that have been identified involved a large social gathering in an arena.  Sports clubs (used heavily by the elderly), healthcare facilities for the old, live houses, symposium events, drinking spots (generally very confined). The Tokyo Marathon ran and while it was limited to pro runners there was still a very very large crowd on the street watching.  People are doing what is suggested but it doesn't need to be to extremes.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Herd Immunity doesn't mean a bunch of us need to catch and recover from the virus (this is the message that is getting UK all riled up).  If we slow the progress of this virus and God help us that a vaccine is developed, the herd immunity can be obtained via vaccines (and science) rather than simply subjecting the population to infection.

• Thanks 2