The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Alflives said:

The anti vaxxers and anti maskers will not be vaccinated, and will be without masks.  And there is no way to tell if the person creeping up next to you is one of those selfish ones, is there?  

This would always happen at some point right?

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The anti vaxxers and anti maskers will not be vaccinated, and will be without masks.  And there is no way to tell if the person creeping up next to you is one of those selfish ones, is there?  

No, but if you're fully vaccinated, your chances of getting sick are pretty low while the anti-vaxxer's is much higher. Their chances of suffering long term effects (and even death) are greater as well.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Bingo.  I hate that they take away the mandate and then just leave it up to the individual to decide.  haven't we seen what happens with that?  What's wrong with keeping the mask mandate in place while relaxing the other restrictions?  Why not err on the side of caution?  

I'm as disciplined as anyone about masks and have been since last summer, but I'm not going to pretend I am considering not wearing one when I go into places.  I'm fully vaxxed going on a month now and I've been wearing a mask for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week since september.  I'll likely still choose to wear one, but I'm very very tired of it

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

This would always happen at some point right?

Been thinking more on your point, and you’re right.  At some point the selfish antivaxxer-antimasker goofballs will be wandering amongst us without masks and without being vaccinated spreading disease and stupidity.  Like you say, it’s inevitable.  

I Still think this should have waited until everyone has had the opportunity to be fully protected (with their second dose) from the selfish idiots and the foolish morons.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

I'm as disciplined as anyone about masks and have been since last summer, but I'm not going to pretend I am not considering not wearing one when I go into places.  I'm fully vaxxed going on a month now and I've been wearing a mask for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week since september.  I'll likely still choose to wear one, but I'm very very tired of it

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Bingo.  I hate that they take away the mandate and then just leave it up to the individual to decide.  haven't we seen what happens with that?  What's wrong with keeping the mask mandate in place while relaxing the other restrictions?  Why not err on the side of caution?  

I think its strange how they did it.  No more mask mandate, but recommended for people that are not fully vaccinated, or 2 weeks after dose two.  We are only at 29% having 2 shots, backdate that 2 weeks we are around 15%.  Realistically come July 1st we only have our 75+ population fully vaccinated.  

• Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree with my wife - most people are going to see that first tweet, and automatically assume masks can go the way of the dodo bird regardless of circumstance or situation.  That's because most people hear or read what they want to hear or read, and masks have been a particular bone of contention for a lot of people, especially now that we have a heat wave hitting us.  "Recommended?  That's code word for don't do it, right?"

What I think people will fail to recognize is that there are conditions that still warrant its use, and those conditions will be ignored, "because it's only recommended".

I'm just glad that most of the people I know have the good enough sense to be willing to continue to mask up even when it's not mandated.  

I have to believe that some businesses are going to be more cautious as well. I could certainly see circumstances where a private business still requires masks be worn, even after government mandates are eased....

Could (and probably will) lead to some ugly confrontations....

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No, but if you're fully vaccinated, your chances of getting sick are pretty low while the anti-vaxxer's is much higher. Their chances of suffering long term effects (and even death) are greater as well.

Good point. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I think its strange how they did it.  No more mask mandate, but recommended for people that are not fully vaccinated, or 2 weeks after dose two.  We are only at 29% having 2 shots, backdate that 2 weeks we are around 15%.  Realistically come July 1st we only have our 75+ population fully vaccinated.  

This is the problem I have.  It puts the onus on the businesses to come up with their own plan.  Without provincial mandates, there is nothing the business can do to enforce their own rules or policies.  I don't like wearing masks like most of us here but  as BCNeil has pointed out, we are far from having the majority of the population with double jabs and studies have shown that you are only 30% protected against the Delta variant with only one jab.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I recall a news piece about a month or two ago (I think it was CBC's The Natonal, with Andrew Chang conducting the interviews in Ontario) that pointed out to one of the interviewees that one of the findings from SARS was that there should be better adherence to the "precautionary principle" (and that there was a woeful lack of acceptance of that principle by the people who were in positions of decision making and direction).  I did a search online and found https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(07)60130-5/fulltext which, granted, is written in the context of health care workers and worker safety, but the same principle is one that the news piece also mentioned should have been adopted in the broader context of public health.

Tam and Henry for the longest time did not adhere to that principle (I question if they do even at this point).  Forget the politicians, they were still touting this virus as "low risk" even as the rest of the world was in pandemic mode.  However, as trained medical practitioners and scientists, they should have stepped up right away when the WHO declared a "public health emergency" in February (or even earlier, as intelligence was being reported via MEDINT, in January 2020) to not only assess the preparedness and fix the deficiencies in the system (as the SARS report suggested), but to also come up with stronger guidance to protect Canadians, instead of accepting at face value the politicians' declaration of a "low risk" situation and acting as if it was low risk.

Clearly, erring on the side of caution is not in our PHO or PHAC's vocabulary.  :picard:

well............

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-covid-19-excess-deaths-1.6084595

48 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

We got the supply now.  Our current 7 day average for vaccinations is 529,000 per day.  If Canada maintains this rate by July 31st we could be at 82% first dose, 80% second dose for all 12+ .  With no supply issues, millions left over.  

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think the same could be said about global reporting of death figures from this pandemic though.  Especially early on in some of the initial hotspots.

absolutely.  I think it reinforces the notion that they really haven't been proactive with this virus from day one.  The lack of testing in BC has really skewed the numbers, in my opinion.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Let me guess, Conservative gov't, right?

You betcha my friend.

With an evangelical/cult member as our PM.

A guy that flaunts his religiousty and then has an affair with his staffer,leaves his wife,has a couple if kids is our deputy PM.

Which led the PM at the time to I institute a "no bonk ban",seriously.

This is the state of Aussie politics.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have to believe that some businesses are going to be more cautious as well. I could certainly see circumstances where a private business still requires masks be worn, even after government mandates are eased....

Could (and probably will) lead to some ugly confrontations....

Idiots are everywhere 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-29/couple-refuse-to-sign-in-with-qr-code-assault-restaurant-owner/100253692

Already fined,charged with assault,probably won't cure their stupidity.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Idiots are everywhere 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-29/couple-refuse-to-sign-in-with-qr-code-assault-restaurant-owner/100253692

Already fined,charged with assault,probably won't cure their stupidity.

For some reason I had this video clip saved.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1