The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it seems uninformed. I got my first shot as AZ and the second one likely Pfizer, so does that mean I get to sit in the balcony? 

I wonder what would possibly be driving this decision? seems like a knee jerk thing. 

They'll probably only let half of you in - you get to decide which half.  :lol:

On a more serious note, it seems like the holdup would be FDA approval, and since AZ is already trying to get FDA approval for use south of the 49th, I'm sure they'll eventually get it, and then the issue of exclusion of AZ-vaccinated persons won't exist any more.

• Hydration 2
47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder what would possibly be driving this decision?

Wonder if it is legal to exclude people, even though they have been folowing the government and medical services advice?

Maybe Bruce is taking the honourific  "The Boss" a bit too seriously.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

On a more serious note, it seems like the holdup would be FDA approval, and since AZ is already trying to get FDA approval for use south of the 49th, I'm sure they'll eventually get it, and then the issue of exclusion of AZ-vaccinated persons won't exist any more.

Yes.  This would mean that people vaccinated with the Russian and Chinese vaccines probably wouldn't be allowed in either.

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Yes.  This would mean that people vaccinated with the Russian and Chinese vaccines probably wouldn't be allowed in either.

Your post about FDA beat me by seconds... Seconds, I tells ya!  ;)

What do you think is the likelihood that the WHO-approved, non-western vaccines will apply for FDA approval?  :P

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Your post about FDA beat me by seconds... Seconds, I tells ya!  ;)

What do you think is the likelihood that the WHO-approved, non-western vaccines will apply for FDA approval?  :P

Probably not as it costs time and money to do that and they don't have any contracts to distribute their vaccines in the US.  They'd also be up against established competition.

I think that this policy that they (New York) were using needs to allow for some process for these other vaccines to be allowed.  New York relies on tourism and the chances are very high that there will be tourists from regions where they could only get one of those vaccines.  Seems like they would be shooting themselves in the foot while trying to revive their tourism industry.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Probably not as it costs time and money to do that and they don't have any contracts to distribute their vaccines in the US.  They'd also be up against established competition.

I think that this policy that they (New York) were using needs to allow for some process for these other vaccines to be allowed.  New York relies on tourism and the chances are very high that there will be tourists from regions where they could only get on of those vaccines.  Seems like they would be shooting themselves in the foot while trying to revive their tourism industry.

I was actually thinking along the lines of entry into their country being denied to individuals who don't get an FDA-approved vaccination, but I guess Biden did say that he's against vaccine passports.  Especially considering there are a lot of people in many places there who have already taken a stance that vaccines are evil and refuse to be vaccinated themselves - many places of which are dependent on tourism $$$.

• Hydration 1
40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

ahh, its US-centric. Figures. 

56 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wonder if it is legal to exclude people, even though they have been folowing the government and medical services advice?

I saw him do a solo show a few years ago, it was fantastic. One of the few old guys probably worth seeing still. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, gurn said:

Springsteen can do whatever he likes, he's earned it!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7962000/canada-covid-vaccine-shipment-7962000/

Second doses by September out the window.

With this new Moderna shipment being front loaded, even with the Pfizer short shipments we will have over 60 million by mid July, and over 50 in June.

We can do over a million jabs a day from now, till this is done.  For the next month.  

• Hydration 1

Well, there it is.  The Federal government is working on vaccine passports.  This should also be worked on for large public events to check patrons vaccination status.  

And yes, the government should be working on a secure paper version.  And work on publicizing the potential penalties for falsifying these documents for our anti-vaxxer friends.  

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/06/18/canada-national-vaccine-passports-trudeau/

National vaccine passports for international travel coming this fall: Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Friday that the federal government is working with the provinces to develop a national vaccine passport for international travel that’s expected to be ready sometime this fall.

Trudeau said while that plan is being developed, his government is working on a system involving the ArriveCan app that will be ready in the “coming weeks.”

“We are working on two tracks in terms of proof of vaccination for Canadians who wish to travel,” Trudeau said. “In the initial phase we are going to be working with the ArriveCan app in ways that people can upload an image of their proof of vaccination … so that border agents on their return to Canada can verify that they are fully vaccinated. That’s something we will have in place in the coming weeks.”

By the fall, Trudeau said he hoped to “establish a national certification of vaccination status.”

The prime minister said the national vaccine passport “will be easily accepted around the world for people who need to travel internationally.”

He also said the government is working with other countries on ensuring travellers who receive vaccines not approved in arriving countries are still able to safely enter.

“Having to demonstrate that you have been vaccinated has been a standard piece of international travel since international aviation began,” said Mike McNaney, president of the National Airlines Council of Canada, in an interview.

“We’ve been quite supportive of the government coming up with a policy and a mechanism on how it’s going to capture that data.”

There are yet other issues that need to be addressed, Trudeau said, including what to do about children under 12 for whom vaccines have not been approved. He suggested children could be subject to a repeated testing regime after arrival because having a two-week quarantine away from vaccinated parents may not be possible.

Trudeau didn’t say if a paper passport would be available, but earlier this week, the Canadian Snowbird Association raised concerns with the prospect of a digital passport, saying up to 10 per cent of snowbirds travel without mobile devices.

On Friday, the federal government announced that it was extending its border restrictions on non-essential international travel for another month.

The extended restrictions will include travel between Canada and the United States.

The previous order was set to expire on June 21, it will now expire on July 21.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well, there it is.  The Federal government is working on vaccine passports.  This should also be worked on for large public events to check patrons vaccination status.  

And yes, the government should be working on a secure paper version.  And work on publicizing the potential penalties for falsifying these documents for our anti-vaxxer friends.  

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/06/18/canada-national-vaccine-passports-trudeau/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Friday that the federal government is working with the provinces to develop a national vaccine passport for international travel that’s expected to be ready sometime this fall.

Trudeau said while that plan is being developed, his government is working on a system involving the ArriveCan app that will be ready in the “coming weeks.”

“We are working on two tracks in terms of proof of vaccination for Canadians who wish to travel,” Trudeau said. “In the initial phase we are going to be working with the ArriveCan app in ways that people can upload an image of their proof of vaccination … so that border agents on their return to Canada can verify that they are fully vaccinated. That’s something we will have in place in the coming weeks.”

By the fall, Trudeau said he hoped to “establish a national certification of vaccination status.”

The prime minister said the national vaccine passport “will be easily accepted around the world for people who need to travel internationally.”

He also said the government is working with other countries on ensuring travellers who receive vaccines not approved in arriving countries are still able to safely enter.

“Having to demonstrate that you have been vaccinated has been a standard piece of international travel since international aviation began,” said Mike McNaney, president of the National Airlines Council of Canada, in an interview.

“We’ve been quite supportive of the government coming up with a policy and a mechanism on how it’s going to capture that data.”

There are yet other issues that need to be addressed, Trudeau said, including what to do about children under 12 for whom vaccines have not been approved. He suggested children could be subject to a repeated testing regime after arrival because having a two-week quarantine away from vaccinated parents may not be possible.

Trudeau didn’t say if a paper passport would be available, but earlier this week, the Canadian Snowbird Association raised concerns with the prospect of a digital passport, saying up to 10 per cent of snowbirds travel without mobile devices.

On Friday, the federal government announced that it was extending its border restrictions on non-essential international travel for another month.

The extended restrictions will include travel between Canada and the United States.

Completely necessary to allow Canadians to travel internationally.  Disappointed it doesn't seem to be coming for sporting events and large concerts, although that can come later.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Completely necessary to allow Canadians to travel internationally.  Disappointed it doesn't seem to be coming for sporting events and large concerts, although that can come later.

Yes.  Once doses become more widespread and the vast majority have become fully vaccinated, then I can see vaccine mandates becoming more of a thing.  It's only a matter of time before we get to that 70% fully vaccinated threshold. 

I'm getting my 2nd dose in a week.

• Hydration 1
6 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

This actually raises another question....Have people who have gotten the Russian and Chinese vaccines been microchipped by Roman Abramovich and Jack Ma instead of Bill Gates? :unsure:

• Vintage 1
25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This actually raises another question....Have people who have gotten the Russian and Chinese vaccines been microchipped by Roman Abramovich and Jack Ma instead of Bill Gates? :unsure:

Nope still Bill Gates

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I saw him do a solo show a few years ago, it was fantastic. One of the few old guys probably worth seeing still. 

I'm not a huge fan, but do enjoy some of his stuff. That said, he does put on legendary concerts.

Thing about that reputation is it will keep arenas sold out for years after his albums stop selling.; something other bands should think about when doing a show. Yes I'm looking at you Tragically Hip, you guys sucked in Victoria.

• Vintage 1
39 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm not a huge fan, but do enjoy some of his stuff. That said, he does put on legendary concerts.

Thing about that reputation is it will keep arenas sold out for years after his albums stop selling.; something other bands should think about when doing a show. Yes I'm looking at you Tragically Hip, you guys sucked in Victoria.

Saw the Hip in Stanley Park, it was a great time. I think I was the only person there not high. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well find a way to tie it digitally to a drivers licence or passport somehow.  Tech has the ability to change at rapid speeds.