The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

very cool simulation here from the Washington Post on how viruses spread and why social distancing can be effective in flattening the curve:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?itid=hp_hp-banner-low_virus-simulator520pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

dude this is cool - people should look and learn

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Herd Immunity doesn't mean a bunch of us need to catch and recover from the virus (this is the message that is getting UK all riled up).  If we slow the progress of this virus and God help us that a vaccine is developed, the herd immunity can be obtained via vaccines (and science) rather than simply subjecting the population to infection.

Herd Immunity = Cull  lol

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

closing the borders is too late.  The WHO has already said this.   Taiwan was the only country that got it right - back in mid January not mid March.  I live in Tokyo and there hasn't been a massive outbreak that you would expect for such a densely populated area - 40 million passengers ride the trains everyday.   All major sporting events have been stopped, but none of the 15 clusters that have been identified involved a large social gathering in an arena.  Sports clubs (used heavily by the elderly), healthcare facilities for the old, live houses, symposium events, drinking spots (generally very confined). The Tokyo Marathon ran and while it was limited to pro runners there was still a very very large crowd on the street watching.  People are doing what is suggested but it doesn't need to be to extremes.  

Where has the WHO said that closing borders is too late?

Closing borders simply means a nation can focus internally on how to socially distance everyone.  Having more and more cases show up from other countries while trying to socially distance everyone is a losing battle. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The department I work in contacted employees at home last night and told us to stay home today. Only essential services need to continue working for now. In my 32 years I've never been told to stay home. I guess they'll be updating me as this goes on. The world is shutting down. Kind of feels like the beginning of an apocalypse. 

and that is why everyone needs to get toilet paper.  

57 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Work from home policy in place for me. Not sure yet if I absolutely have to work from home.

And my work, while laying people off and reducing other people's hours...has decided to actually shut down the ability to work remotely :picard:

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You're missing the point Jimmy.  I'm not disagreeing with you that goods can continue to move from country to country.  I'm saying that the poltical table is definitely pitting medical professionals against economic/business folks, and Trudeau is providing solutions in the middle when in reality, if stopping the virus is the priority, the borders need to close, and measures need to be taken within Canada to enforce social distancing.

You can still move goods across borders but shut down passage to the general public. I'm not sure why this is so confusing to some...(our government included)?

• Cheers 3

Just now, aGENT said:

And my work, while laying people off and reducing other people's hours...has decided to actually shut down the ability to work remotely :picard:

You can still move goods across borders but shut down passage to the general public. I'm not sure why this is so confusing to some...(our government included)?

Exactly.  Agreed.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If this was killing children, and healthy people in the primes of their lives, then we need to worry, and do whatever possible to protect those groups.  It’s not though. 

It is killing young people and children, but at a much lower rate.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Where has the WHO said that closing borders is too late?

Closing borders simply means a nation can focus internally on how to socially distance everyone.  Having more and more cases show up from other countries while trying to socially distance everyone is a losing battle. 

dude how about doing your own homework.  there is a lot out there on the subject and it all points in the same direction  - meaningless

The border closures went against the EU principle of free movement of people and against expert advice on how to contain the spread. 

For his part, Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, called the Danish measures "completely meaningless". 

"I have a very hard time seeing how it could help us. There is no research that shows that. On the contrary, it would hurt us economically," he said.

German health minister Jens Spahn said prior to Germany's partial closure: "The virus is in Germany, it is in Europe. That's the thought we have to get used to".

"It will still spread even if you close all the borders. Sooner or later you have to let people in or out and then it starts spreading again," he said.

European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen also said "general travel bans are not seen as being the most effective" by the WHO. 

Border closures would cause added "social and economic" harm, she warned.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Herd Immunity doesn't mean a bunch of us need to catch and recover from the virus (this is the message that is getting UK all riled up).  If we slow the progress of this virus and God help us that a vaccine is developed, the herd immunity can be obtained via vaccines (and science) rather than simply subjecting the population to infection.

Natural vaccine is far off.  A year likely.  Best we accept reality, and let nature take its course.  This virus culls the weak.  It’s not harming our children and healthiest working class.  Seems like it’s nature doing what nature does.  

• Wat 4

I'm a chef over here in Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast.  Typically over spring break we get a two week summer-style amount of volume as far as business goes.  It's been eerily quiet the last few days.  With all the restaurant and bar shutdowns in the USA, we are holding our collective breaths with this craziness.

My ultimate escape and distraction from reality is sorely missed.  I miss hockey so much.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Natural vaccine is far off.  A year likely.  Best we accept reality, and let nature take its course.  This virus culls the weak.  It’s not harming our children and healthiest working class.  Seems like it’s nature doing what nature does.  

All because some asshole in Wuhan ate a bat.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

steve harvey wtf GIF

That was my response as well. When I pointed out that was the opposite of what experts were recommending I was met with:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611aa98a536de9947dca9

Makes me wonder if I should start a 'Tim Hortons' style twitter campaign against their idiocy :lol:

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

dude how about doing your own homework.  there is a lot out there on the subject and it all points in the same direction  - meaningless

The border closures went against the EU principle of free movement of people and against expert advice on how to contain the spread. 

For his part, Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, called the Danish measures "completely meaningless". 

"I have a very hard time seeing how it could help us. There is no research that shows that. On the contrary, it would hurt us economically," he said.

German health minister Jens Spahn said prior to Germany's partial closure: "The virus is in Germany, it is in Europe. That's the thought we have to get used to".

"It will still spread even if you close all the borders. Sooner or later you have to let people in or out and then it starts spreading again," he said.

European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen also said "general travel bans are not seen as being the most effective" by the WHO. 

Border closures would cause added "social and economic" harm, she warned.

Sounds good!  Let's keep it rolling!  Let everyone keep it flowing in and out.  It's here, it's too late, we shouldn't do anything further to keep more cases from entering.  Wonder what would happen if China all of a sudden let people freely flow in and out of their country... hmmm.... 

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is killing young people and children, but at a much lower rate.

No it’s not.  It’s culling those who are sickly and weak.  Children mostly don’t even present symptoms.  Strong healthy adults don’t have issues either.  Elderly even get better, providing they weren’t sickly to start with.  It’s getting smokers though.  But smokers are kind of sickly to start with.  

• Wat 2

12 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Herd Immunity = Cull  lol

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol, that's what Alf is making it sound like.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Told you!!  haha!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

No it’s not.  It’s culling those who are sickly and weak.  Children mostly don’t even present symptoms.  Strong healthy adults don’t have issues either.  Elderly even get better, providing they weren’t sickly to start with.  It’s getting smokers though.  But smokers are kind of sickly to start with.  

Melmackians have immunity though?  You could be the key to a vaccine!

• Haha 2