The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

lmao the government spent $20 million on that tracking app and the results were inconclusive. Wouldn't surprise me if it was money making opportunity for some friends. God, I can't wait until these idiots are gone.

that's because people in the west refused to use it.  Tracking apps have been an important tool in the fight against covid in many places in the world.  We just have too many morons who think they re so important that the government wants to spy on them

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's because people in the west refused to use it.  Tracking apps have been an important tool in the fight against covid in many places in the world.  We just have too many morons who think they re so important that the government wants to spy on them

I'd argue that's what the Feds should have expected by making enrollment into the app completely voluntary with no other incentives. 

Hong Kong has a tracker that has been successful, but it was mandatory and had features that would make a lot of westerners shiver at the idea because of privacy concerns.

13 hours ago, Russ said:

I got sick of all the hosts in recent years.  They would spend 90% of their show just about Trump.  Seriously, make it a 5 minute segment and move onto something else.  Just got tired of it, I miss Letterman and Leno, Carson was before my time so I have only seen clips.

To say they didn't make jokes of Presidents so me how much you watched those shows. Letterman spent a show with O'Reilly as his guest, and completely shredded him. O'Reilly was one of the first of the Trump backers who led the charge in the Obama birther bs. He also had citizen Trump on his show often as well, and he wasn't complementary of him either.

Edited by johngould21
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

To say they didn't make jokes of Presidents so me how much you watched those shows. Letterman spent a show with O'Reilly as his guest, and completely shredded him. O'Reilly was one of the first of the Trump backers who led the charge in the Obama birther bs. He also had citizen Trump on his show often as well, and he wasn't complementary of him either.

Well said. Talk show hosts have been shredding Presidents for as long as there have been talk shows. People who see it as any different now, either didn't watch much, or don't remember much.

Nixon, Kissinger and Ford were all regular fodder....When Carter was POTUS, hardly a day went by without a "peanut" joke.....Clinton, Reagan, BusH Sr and Jr...no-one was exempt.

In fact, I'd say that celebrities take up more of the hosts time these days, since they're far more visible than they were back in the so-called "golden era" of talk shows....

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'd argue that's what the Feds should have expected by making enrollment into the app completely voluntary with no other incentives. 

Hong Kong has a tracker that has been successful, but it was mandatory and had features that would make a lot of westerners shiver at the idea because of privacy concerns.

I agree completely

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well said. Talk show hosts have been shredding Presidents for as long as there have been talk shows. People who see it as any different now, either didn't watch much, or don't remember much.

Nixon, Kissinger and Ford were all regular fodder....When Carter was POTUS, hardly a day went by without a "peanut" joke.....Clinton, Reagan, BusH Sr and Jr...no-one was exempt.

In fact, I'd say that celebrities take up more of the hosts time these days, since they're far more visible than they were back in the so-called "golden era" of talk shows....

It's what they did and still do. Bill Clinton was a nightly topic, after Monica Lewinsky's "internship". A side note, we just got back from the PoCo Costco, and I saw a lot of customers wearing masks. Let's get this virus down to single digits again.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

It's what they did and still do. Bill Clinton was a nightly topic, after Monica Lewinsky's "internship". A side note, we just got back from the PoCo Costco, and I saw a lot of customers wearing masks. Let's get this virus down to single digits again.

Apparently, the first time Bill met Monica, he said, "You know, I don't think I've come across your face before"......

• Haha 2

For the people who have been vaccinated and think hey I don't have to wear a mask anymore, you should really re-evaluate that one imo especially with this Delta variant going around, but then again I question the government in making this mask thing not mandatory anymore, but read what I bolded in that article and really start to question does Canada really know?

Some Vaccinated People Are Dying of Covid-19. Here’s Why Scientists Aren’t Surprised.

LONDON—As the Delta variant of the coronavirus surges through the U.K., almost half of the country’s recent Covid-19 deaths are of people who have been vaccinated. But doctors and scientists aren’t sounding the alarm about the apparently high proportion of deaths among the vaccinated population.

On the contrary, they say the figures so far offer reassurance that vaccines offer substantial protection against the variant, particularly after two doses. Delta, first identified in India, has since spread to at least 85 countries, including the U.S., where it is now estimated to be the most common variant.

The U.K. is a testing ground for how vaccines are coping. Delta is racing through the country—with 146,000 identified cases in the past week, 72% up on the week before. The country is also a world leader in identifying through testing and genetic sequencing which versions of the virus are prevalent: By mid-June, 97% of cases were Delta infections. And Delta is spreading among a population that is among the most highly vaccinated in the world: 85% of adults have had at least one vaccine shot and 63% have had two.

The spread of Delta has led the U.K. government to postpone by a month the ending of Covid restrictions until July 19. But ministers are increasingly confident that the unlocking will take place as planned because vaccinations have broken the lockstep between new cases, later hospitalizations and deaths.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-vaccinated-people-are-dying-of-covid-19-heres-why-scientists-arent-surprised-11625227200

6 hours ago, johngould21 said:

But was it every show all show for 4 years?  Eventually it got boring seeing all them do is yap about Trump for their entire show.  I liked Seth Myers a ton but after a couple months of the same thing each episode it got so tiresome.  I like some good shots every so often but it just got so repetitive.

3 minutes ago, Russ said:

But was it every show all show for 4 years?  Eventually it got boring seeing all them do is yap about Trump for their entire show.  I liked Seth Myers a ton but after a couple months of the same thing each episode it got so tiresome.  I like some good shots every so often but it just got so repetitive.

Russ, none of the current shows made Trump the show, all show. It was the monologue for sure, and if they had a "political" guest, it might have been most of the show. I never watched any of the lock down late night hosts, so I can't base my opinion on what they did since Feb/Mar 2020. Prior to that it was monologue, quest one, quest two/and or a musical act. With Trump there was no shortage of material for the writers, just saying. The guy had a lie a minute throughout his Presidency, so do you blame them for not taking advantage of the situation? But, this is the Coronavirus thread, enough of the late night show stuff for me anyway.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

For the people who have been vaccinated and think hey I don't have to wear a mask anymore, you should really re-evaluate that one imo especially with this Delta variant going around, but then again I question the government in making this mask thing not mandatory anymore, but read what I bolded in that article and really start to question does Canada really know?

Some Vaccinated People Are Dying of Covid-19. Here’s Why Scientists Aren’t Surprised.

LONDON—As the Delta variant of the coronavirus surges through the U.K., almost half of the country’s recent Covid-19 deaths are of people who have been vaccinated. But doctors and scientists aren’t sounding the alarm about the apparently high proportion of deaths among the vaccinated population.

On the contrary, they say the figures so far offer reassurance that vaccines offer substantial protection against the variant, particularly after two doses. Delta, first identified in India, has since spread to at least 85 countries, including the U.S., where it is now estimated to be the most common variant.

The U.K. is a testing ground for how vaccines are coping. Delta is racing through the country—with 146,000 identified cases in the past week, 72% up on the week before. The country is also a world leader in identifying through testing and genetic sequencing which versions of the virus are prevalent: By mid-June, 97% of cases were Delta infections. And Delta is spreading among a population that is among the most highly vaccinated in the world: 85% of adults have had at least one vaccine shot and 63% have had two.

The spread of Delta has led the U.K. government to postpone by a month the ending of Covid restrictions until July 19. But ministers are increasingly confident that the unlocking will take place as planned because vaccinations have broken the lockstep between new cases, later hospitalizations and deaths.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-vaccinated-people-are-dying-of-covid-19-heres-why-scientists-arent-surprised-11625227200

I'm still wearing my mask in all public places.  I don't think we're even remotely out of this yet

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm still wearing my mask in all public places.  I don't think we're even remotely out of this yet

I was the only one wearing a mask in the gym this morn.

I did a fast 5k on the treadmill, kinda to flex a bit on all those that moan that masks are so hard to wear when working out.

I see it as resistance training, they actually sell masks for that reason, similar to training for altitude. 

I might get one. I like the anonymity that masks give when I am working out, kinda due to all the silly faces I make when exerting.

1317648676_91wr39XUUL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.3eab9cd9c404c378b40db03e66069fbe.jpg

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Good for you, until more proven stats come out I wouldn't risk it if I was you even if they say after 14 days you're fully vaccinated, until this delta variant is under control and more studies are done it's too risky by the looks of it to not mask up still for your safety. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Good for you, until more proven stats come out I wouldn't risk it if I was you even if they say after 14 days you're fully vaccinated, until this delta variant is under control and more studies are done it's too risky by the looks of it to not mask up still for your safety. 

How does wearing a mask protect the person wearing it?  Aren’t masks to protect others in case the person wearing one might be ill?  

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Tell that to Henry.  She seems to think that "zOMG must appeazzzzz duh masses, remove the requirement but ask nicely for them through a recommendsssssss"   :picard:

Like I mentioned multiple times, they never learned from SARS, and erring on the side of caution isn't part of their S.O.P.  :rolleyes:

Good thing SARS vanished and wasn't as bad as this one. The problem I don't like with Henry approach here is people who aren't vaccinated now don't have to wear a mask that's not good either.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1