The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Normally I think the National Post is a garbage source, but seeing as this article isn't about politics, I think it might clear some things up:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pfizer-is-not-superior-to-moderna-and-its-perfectly-okay-to-mix-covid-vaccines-experts-say/ar-AALnS96?li=AAggNb9

TLDR?

Pfizer isn't any better or worse than Moderna......and go ahead and mix vaccines. :)

We'll all be getting a third dose soon enough anyway.  Either mRNA vaccine is fine with me, just like my first dose.

8 hours ago, D-Money said:

I've heard from a reputable source that Spanish Influenza is estimated to have been only slightly more deadly than COVID. The difference is medical treatment. This becomes apparent when the medical system gets overwhelmed in a particular location (like Italy at the beginning of the pandemic, and India most recently), and deaths rise dramatically.

The major difference with the two are the age groups affected.

According to the CDC, in the United States,

"During the 1918 flu pandemic, “mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic. With no vaccine to protect against influenza infection and no antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infections that can be associated with influenza infections, control efforts worldwide were limited to non-pharmaceutical interventions

The 1918 influenza caused a cytokine storm in the bodies of healthy adults that was especially lethal, essentially the reactions of a healthy young immune system to the influenza ravaged the host and killed them quite quickly. 

The primary age group affected by Covid has been 65 years and older, and plenty of those people had comorbidities.

Both are horrible diseases though.

Advances in medicine have also been a major factor in stemming what could have been a much worse pandemic. 

On 6/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, DonLever said:

Are people ok with mixing Pfizer and Moderna because there are not enough Pfizer for 2nd dose.  You are likely to get Moderna as 2nd dose  in the next week or so.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/337797/B-C-has-a-new-workhorse-vaccine-time-for-Team-Pfizer-to-drop-any-brand-loyalty

“If you are like me, and received Moderna as your first dose, you are now likely to receive Moderna as your second dose. But many, many people who received Pfizer as their first dose will receive Moderna as their second dose,” said Dix.

My gf mixed AZ and Pfizer

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Had a buddy mix Johnny Walker Blue with Ginger Ale once....

....I mean, it was a blended Scotch, but still....:wacko:

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It used to be common at wedding banquets in Chinese restaurants here in Vancouver for bottles of Johnny Walker Red (or if the hosts were feeling baller, Black) to be placed on the table by the hosts, and for the adults to mix it with Sprite or Coke.  This was in lieu of using the bar services of the restaurant.  Mind you, we're talking about 20+ years ago now.  I haven't been to a wedding at such a venue now since around 2000.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The major difference with the two are the age groups affected.

According to the CDC, in the United States,

"During the 1918 flu pandemic, “mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic. With no vaccine to protect against influenza infection and no antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infections that can be associated with influenza infections, control efforts worldwide were limited to NON-PHARMACEUTICAL  interventions

The 1918 influenza caused a cytokine storm in the bodies of healthy adults that was especially lethal, essentially the reactions of a healthy young immune system to the influenza ravaged the host and killed them quite quickly. 

The primary age group affected by Covid has been 65 years and older, and plenty of those people had comorbidities.

Both are horrible diseases though.

Advances in medicine have also been a major factor in stemming what could have been a much worse pandemic. 

My grandfather got the Spanish flu while in the trenches of WW1. He drank a quart of motor oil get it over with quickly after watching what was happening to his fellow soldiers. Turns out he survived and to his last days he claimed the oil saved him. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My wife constantly mixes her metaphors and it drives me crazy. It leaves a sour taste in the eye of the beholder. :P

• Haha 4
7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It used to be common at wedding banquets in Chinese restaurants here in Vancouver for bottles of Johnny Walker Red (or if the hosts were feeling baller, Black) to be placed on the table by the hosts, and for the adults to mix it with Sprite or Coke.  This was in lieu of using the bar services of the restaurant.  Mind you, we're talking about 20+ years ago now.  I haven't been to a wedding at such a venue now since around 2000.

Yeah, Red or Black I could see....but Johnny Blue is super expensive....even though it is still a blend...

BCLC has is listed at just over $300 a bottle

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

My wife constantly mixes her metaphors and it drives me crazy. It leaves a sour taste in the eye of the beholder. :P

It's like Ricky says, "What goes around is all around".....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, stawns said:

My wife and I did the same.

Neither of us felt anything from the first dose of AZ, but we've both been feeling crappy for a couple of days from dose 2 of the Pfizer.

9 minutes ago, spur1 said:

My grandfather got the Spanish flu while in the trenches of WW1. He drank a quart of motor oil get it over with quickly after watching what was happening to his fellow soldiers. Turns out he survived and to his last days he claimed the oil saved him. 

Holy crap. That's insane. 

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, Red or Black I could see....but Johnny Blue is super expensive....even though it is still a blend...

BCLC has is listed at just over $300 a bottle

I've tried all three before, and I think that the price is quite inflated for the Johnny Blue for what it gives.  Having said that, Johnny Red is vile, and Johnny Black is bearable in a pinch.  Johnny Blue is good, but not $300/bottle good (in comparison to the pricing of Johnny Black, for example).  Also, there are less expensive single malts that are better than Johnny Blue.

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

My wife and I did the same.

Neither of us felt anything from the first dose of AZ, but we've both been feeling crappy for a couple of days from dose 2 of the Pfizer.

my gf was opposite.  AZ knocked her down hard for a good three days.  She didn't feel anything on the pfizer shot

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I've tried all three before, and I think that the price is quite inflated for the Johnny Blue for what it gives.  Having said that, Johnny Red is vile, and Johnny Black is bearable in a pinch.  Johnny Blue is good, but not $300/bottle good (in comparison to the pricing of Johnny Black, for example).  Also, there are less expensive single malts that are better than Johnny Blue.

Exactly. Several of them, in fact....

• Hydration 1
22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly. Several of them, in fact....

There's even a better JW in the Green label, which is a blended malt instead of a true blend.  It's far cheaper too.

14 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's even a better JW in the Green label, which is a blended malt instead of a true blend.  It's far cheaper too.

Yep. A good friend of mine (a dentist with too much money) orders it all the time....I generally don't do Scotch when I'm at the bar because it's too pricey, but every once in a while I cave and have a Glenlivet or something similar.....

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. A good friend of mine (a dentist with too much money) orders it all the time....I generally don't do Scotch when I'm at the bar because it's too pricey, but every once in a while I cave and have a Glenlivet or something similar.....

I love it when a heavy topic thread devolves into chatter about booze... shows our priorities in times of crisis :gocan:

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's mind boggling to me....the rationale behind not wanting the vax.  Uh, here's the flipside....good luck.

I'd normally say, "eff them if they want to take that chance" but they could just as likely infect other people (or even have a slight chance of infecting those that are vaccinated).

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I love it when a heavy topic thread devolves into chatter about booze... shows our priorities in times of crisis :gocan:

Well alcohol is a disinfectant...

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It says something about society that the liquor stores were essentially deemed essential services...

• Hydration 2