The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How does wearing a mask protect the person wearing it?  Aren’t masks to protect others in case the person wearing one might be ill?  

Is this sarcasm I really can't tell...

But I'll say this, why do concrete finishers wear masks? How does it protect them?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Is this sarcasm I really can't tell...

But I'll say this, why do concrete finishers wear masks? How does it protect them?

No, not sarcasm.  Masks protect others from infection more so than they protect the person wearing it, no?  That’s why I don’t get lifting the mask mandate until everyone has a chance at their second dose.  The antivaxxer and anti mask people (often who think Covid is a hoax and don’t believe in any restrictions) will now wander around maskless, and could spread disease to those who are waiting for their second shot - even though the person waiting for shot two is wearing a mask.  Isn’t that the science?  Maybe I forgot all this stuff already, but I’m keeping mine on anyway.  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No, not sarcasm.  Masks protect others from infection more so than they protect the person wearing it, no?  That’s why I don’t get lifting the mask mandate until everyone has a chance at their second dose.  The antivaxxer and anti mask people (often who think Covid is a hoax and don’t believe in any restrictions) will now wander around maskless, and could spread disease to those who are waiting for their second shot - even though the person waiting for shot two is wearing a mask.  Isn’t that the science?  Maybe I forgot all this stuff already, but I’m keeping mine on anyway.  

I do believe there is a strong argument for both tbh, I agree with what you're saying, and I strongly stand behind my stance on them as well, I believe both are valid for protection, hence why it's even more important to wear it. But it's also not 100% effective, depending on the mask for example N95 it says it's 95% effective, that means there's a 5% chance of breathing in something I would tend to believe it would be the same for breathing out, definitely would be good for someone who has the virus for cutting it down for being airborne after, but also gives you now a 95% chance of hopefully not catching the virus, which I believe is good as well. Either which way you look at it masking up until the virus is gone is the best measure to take, for your protection or protection of others.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Which vaccine? 

I got my second pfizer  a few weeks ago. Only thing i found was my shoulder was a bit sore to touch. No ill feeling. 

Moderna,arm is still a bit sore but I feel fine now.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, Cromeslab said:

Ugh,got my second dose yesterday.Feelin pretty crappy think I’m gonna go to bed and sleep it off

Hope you're felling better bud. My symptoms were a little worse for # 2 but it wore off in two days.

On 7/6/2021 at 6:27 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I do believe there is a strong argument for both tbh, I agree with what you're saying, and I strongly stand behind my stance on them as well, I believe both are valid for protection, hence why it's even more important to wear it. But it's also not 100% effective, depending on the mask for example N95 it says it's 95% effective, that means there's a 5% chance of breathing in something I would tend to believe it would be the same for breathing out, definitely would be good for someone who has the virus for cutting it down for being airborne after, but also gives you now a 95% chance of hopefully not catching the virus, which I believe is good as well. Either which way you look at it masking up until the virus is gone is the best measure to take, for your protection or protection of others.

Yep.  Layers of protection.

I'm double vaccinated and I still wear my mask indoors.  Sometimes outdoors when I see other people wearing it (to ease their anxiety and in case they didn't get 2nd dose).  Plan to gradually reduce mask use.  Hopefully by September and have no mask.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/07/mrna-vaccine-technology-moves-to-flu-moderna-says-trial-has-begun/

mRNA vaccine technology moves to flu: Moderna says trial has begun

Moderna aims for one seasonal shot for flu, COVID-19, respiratory viruses RSV and HMPV.

mRNA vaccine technology is one of the only good things to come out of this pandemic.

15 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

mRNA vaccine technology is one of the only good things to come out of this pandemic.

It's definitely been validated as a viable technology because of emergency govt. approvals to get it out for vaccinations. If it weren't for the pandemic, I'd guess that mRNA technology would not have been popularized for another 2-3 years. 

27 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Especially when you consider how well they work.  I know so many people that probably would get the flu shot.  But their excuse is always, it doesn't work, or well enough.

So if they can get some 90% flu shot out there.  Pretty hard to ignore getting it.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BPA said:

Yep.  Layers of protection.

I'm double vaccinated and I still wear my mask indoors.  Sometimes outdoors when I see other people wearing it (to ease their anxiety and in case they didn't get 2nd dose).  Plan to gradually reduce mask use.  Hopefully by September and have no mask.

Good for you thumbs up.

Yes hopefully by then things are looking good, we just have to keep an eye on this delta variant I believe first, and hopefully that will be the end of these bad mutations, as long as no other ones mutate we could be good, but that's still up in the air literally. 

41 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Good for you thumbs up.

Yes hopefully by then things are looking good, we just have to keep an eye on this delta variant I believe first, and hopefully that will be the end of these bad mutations, as long as no other ones mutate we could be good, but that's still up in the air literally. 

There will be more bad mutations until the developing world gets enough vaccines.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think by August 1st things will be back to normal and this virus will be behind us. We cant live in fear forever, I think once everyone has had a opportunity to get the second shot who wants it, its fair game after that. 

Not too sure, but I’m thinking those getting hospitalized and dying from Covid now are people not fully vaccinated.