The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

16 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Who could get a third dose?

In the meantime, the JCVI's advice is to offer a third Covid jab (and a flu jab) to the following people from September 2021:

• adults aged 16 and over who are immunosuppressed or clinically extremely vulnerable
  • residents in care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 70 and over
  • frontline health and social care workers

After those groups, it will be:

• all adults aged 50 and over
  • adults aged 16-49 who are in a flu or Covid-19 at-risk group
  • those living in the same house as people who are immunosuppressed

Prof Wei Shen Lim, Covid-19 chair for JCVI, said all these groups would also be eligible for the annual flu vaccine and were strongly advised to have it.

Younger adults will be not be given a third dose, because they will only have had their second dose in the summer, although this decision will be revisited at a later time, the JCVI said.

I assume this doesn't apply to Albertans ???

On 6/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, johngould21 said:

We have an SFU student renting with us from Alberta. She is fully vaccinated, is studying sciences, with a masters degree on the horizon.

Her father and many of her family aren't getting vaccinated, because of their "healthy immune system". Two days ago we heard the same thing from a friend of my wife, whose niece and her husband resisted on getting the vaccines. One works in administration for a Province wide organization and her husband is self employed. Guess what? Hubbie spends 17 days in ICU, and was on a ventilator for a time. Both are currently long haulers with brain fog among the symptoms. Nothing more than the flu!

People mistakenly think vaccines are only needed in people with poor immune system.  But if you ask them if they will be willing to get infected by HIV or Ebola and test it out, I bet very few will sign up.  In reality, vaccines won't work well in people with weakened immune system. More reason to reach community immunity via vaccination to protect them. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

People mistakenly think vaccines are only needed in people with poor immune system.  But if you ask them if they will be willing to get infected by HIV or Ebola and test it out, I bet very few will sign up.  In reality, vaccines won't work well in people with weakened immune system. More reason to reach community immunity via vaccination to protect them. 

Sadly, there are people who really do believe that they/their kids don't need an education - and they probably have a very large profile overlap with anti-vaxxers.  :picard:

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, there are people who really do believe that they/their kids don't need an education - and they probably have a very large profile overlap with anti-vaxxers.  :picard:

My nearby neighbours are a 'school of unlearning'. I haven't looked into it too much so forgive any ignorance. 

Thing is, these people seem pretty 'unlearned' in my brief convos with them. Their property is a smattering of buildings that for sure didn't get the proper building permits. The idea that they are cultivating the minds of our youths is a bit concerning. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

My nearby neighbours are a 'school of unlearning'. I haven't looked into it too much so forgive any ignorance. 

Thing is, these people seem pretty 'unlearned' in my brief convos with them. Their property is a smattering of buildings that for sure didn't get the proper building permits. The idea that they are cultivating the minds of our youths is a bit concerning. 

Have they somehow crept into your subconscious?  :bigblush:

Just kidding.  That's awful that you have to deal with the intentionally ignorant.  Knowing that my neighbours were such would probably drive me crazy.

• Haha 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Have they somehow crept into your subconscious?  :bigblush:

Just kidding.  That's awful that you have to deal with the intentionally ignorant.  Knowing that my neighbours were such would probably drive me crazy.

From what I gather it's a system from India based on outside the box thinking as it applies to business, again...haven't dove in too deep but I feel these neighbours are just being hippies that think they know, to not know....you know?

Either way, not good for kids IMO. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

From what I gather it's a system from India based on outside the box thinking as it applies to business, again...haven't dove in too deep but I feel these neighbours are just being hippies that think they know, to not know....you know?

Either way, not good for kids IMO. 

I guess all I can say is that I know that I don't know, and I don't know if you know that I know that I don't know, but I know that what they know they won't know if they unlearn everything they know.  I think...?  :unsure:

Agreed that it's not good for kids.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

• Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Both of my siblings got Moderna after AZ.  No issues. They both said first shot AZ had a bit more reaction than the second Moderna.  

Wish I could say the same; still happy about getting a mixed batch of shots though.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wish I could say the same; still happy about getting a mixed batch of shots though.

From the UK Com-CoV trial, statiscally the mixed recipients reported more reactions after the mRNA second dose.  But if you felt it, then you definitely didn't get a placebo. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

From the UK Com-CoV trial, statiscally the mixed recipients reported more reactions after the mRNA second dose.  But if you felt it, then you definitely didn't get a placebo. 

I'm of the view that if I get side effects from the vaccine, I'd probably have a worse than normal reaction to the virus itself.

• Upvote 1

TBH, I was a bit concerned about the fact that I had zero reaction to either my first or second shots. (both Pfizer)

My second shot was administered by my GP and he didn't think it was an issue. He also said that after the 2 weeks were up, I would be at about 90%....

Looking at that shot of the Rt.Hon. and his cloth mask, aside from the fact that it appears he's cleaned up all that facial hair, it reminded me of a more important question:

With the new public health orders making masks optional in indoor settings, does that mean that we may be dealing with people going for vaccinations here in BC with their faces unmasked?  Seems a bit premature to have lifted that part, and I hope that the vaccination centres make masking mandatory still.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I was a bit concerned about the fact that I had zero reaction to either my first or second shots. (both Pfizer)

My second shot was administered by my GP and he didn't think it was an issue. He also said that after the 2 weeks were up, I would be at about 90%....

You should be fine if you don't have underlying conditions or on medications that cause immunosuppression.  I wouldn't worry about the mild or minimal reactogenicity symptoms that you had.  There isn't a direct correlation with adaptive immunity that you want from the vaccine. The immediate side effects are mostly from the innate immunity, which reacts in mins and hrs. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-019-0132-6

Summary
It is a common belief that an injection-site reaction to a vaccine is a predictive sign of a desirable vaccine response (‘no pain, no gain’ concept). However limited data either support or disprove this concept. In the hepatitis B study comparing different adjuvant, the magnitude of inflammatory responses paralleled the magnitude of adaptive immune responses and the overall incidence of reactogenicity symptoms. The more potent adjuvants (AS01 and AS03) were capable of activating an early IFN-signalling pathway, which was confirmed in the blood of subjects the day after receiving H1N1/AS03. However, despite parallel associations of reactogenicity and adaptive responses with early innate responses, no predictive association was demonstrated between reactogenicity and the adaptive response, which suggests that the ‘no pain, no gain’ concept may not be valid, at least at the individual level.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:05 AM, gurn said:

Was waiting for these numbers.

9 people that have been fully vaccinated have passed.

Video:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elections/9-people-have-died-from-covid-19-despite-having-received-a-second-dose/vi-AALyuax

About 0.2% of double dosers have passed away from covid

About 2.0% for single dosers have passed from covid.

This link, https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded, when you divide deaths by positives shows about

1.18 % over all rate of mortality.-Vaccinations not accounted for.

anybody with some math skills able to break this down?

Repost, as I'm still not able to make sense of this.

This seems to say the first shot was not really any better than no shot; which is completely different than what I'd read previously read.