Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who knows, Chuck. I was in a grocery store and a few restaurants this weekend, and enjoyed not wearing a mask. It was a return to some sense of normalcy. 

I totally understand that feeling of normalcy again, and I'm sure it was nice. I'm just a little confused because they say they're worried about the delta variant, but lifting the mask mandatory kind of defeats being worried of the variant now it seems.

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I totally understand that feeling of normalcy again, and I'm sure it was nice. I'm just a little confused because they say they're worried about the delta variant, but lifting the mask mandatory kind of defeats being worried of the variant now it seems.

True, but we are trusting people to keep wearing masks until they are fully vaccinated.  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I totally understand that feeling of normalcy again, and I'm sure it was nice. I'm just a little confused because they say they're worried about the delta variant, but lifting the mask mandatory kind of defeats being worried of the variant now it seems.

I guess the idea behind that is with the percentage of people in BC being vaccinated, any hospitalizations from the Delta variant can be handled by the hospitals now that the rate of infection has fallen below a certain point.

 

Yet, some countries have continued with lockdowns due to the variant.

 

What's the truth of it all? Who the hell knows.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I guess the idea behind that is with the percentage of people in BC being vaccinated, any hospitalizations from the Delta variant can be handled by the hospitals now that the rate of infection has fallen below a certain point.

 

Yet, some countries have continued with lockdowns due to the variant.

 

What's the truth of it all? Who the hell knows.

d&d nerd GIF

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Haha well I guess that’s the perks of living in areas where the virus spread. Did my part to keep myself and the people around me safe, now I get the vaccine a little early. I take it you’re not in a hot spot?

Richmond, where apparently - according to Global News' Keith Baldrey - when I had my shot in May, our city was considered a "low vaccine uptake rate" city.  :picard:

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Haha well I guess that’s the perks of living in areas where the virus spread. Did my part to keep myself and the people around me safe, now I get the vaccine a little early. I take it you’re not in a hot spot?

I meant walk-in as in a site you had to actually walk into rather than a drive-thru site. The site I’m going to offers both.

i went to the South Surrey drive through last weekend at the park and ride.  It was a hot day, but I did notice several of the cars had maskless people.  For whatever reason the staff didn't seem to care.  But they have masks for sale at the circle K at 138th and 72nd, its like 2 minutes away from the drive through clinic on 66th. if that's where you are going.  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Haha well I guess that’s the perks of living in areas where the virus spread. Did my part to keep myself and the people around me safe, now I get the vaccine a little early. I take it you’re not in a hot spot?

I meant walk-in as in a site you had to actually walk into rather than a drive-thru site. The site I’m going to offers both.

Walk in.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I thought this Delta variant was supposedly bad? Or is it just fearmongering by governments now?

 

Why I say this, because while going grocery shopping on the weekend it was a little shocking imo, seeing people walking around with no masks on since now it's not recommended, but I thought they were worried about this Delta variant... Or is it just not that bad....

 

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who knows, Chuck. I was in a grocery store and a few restaurants this weekend, and enjoyed not wearing a mask. It was a return to some sense of normalcy. 

 

12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I totally understand that feeling of normalcy again, and I'm sure it was nice. I'm just a little confused because they say they're worried about the delta variant, but lifting the mask mandatory kind of defeats being worried of the variant now it seems.

 

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I guess the idea behind that is with the percentage of people in BC being vaccinated, any hospitalizations from the Delta variant can be handled by the hospitals now that the rate of infection has fallen below a certain point.

 

Yet, some countries have continued with lockdowns due to the variant.

 

What's the truth of it all? Who the hell knows.

It's partially that, but it's also because (and this is coming straight from the horse's mouth - when Dr. Henry was interviewed on Focus BC on Global BC1 - but paraphrased because I don't recall the exact words she used) at this point it becomes a personal responsibility.  She still "highly recommends" masking despite lifting the order, but because recommendations don't come with fines, she can't make it a requirement.

 

This is one instance where I think think the politicians have their hand on the public health orders.  Clearly (as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread) erring on the side of caution is not in their vernacular or vocabulary.  :picard:

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

 

 

 

It's partially that, but it's also because (and this is coming straight from the horse's mouth - when Dr. Henry was interviewed on Focus BC on Global BC1 - but paraphrased because I don't recall the exact words she used) at this point it becomes a personal responsibility.  She still "highly recommends" masking despite lifting the order, but because recommendations don't come with fines, she can't make it a requirement.

 

This is one instance where I think think the politicians have their hand on the public health orders.  Clearly (as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread) erring on the side of caution is not in their vernacular or vocabulary.  :picard:

Real Estate Horse GIF by Domino Recording Co.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Second dose over and done with. Feels good. I'm off work on vacation time for the week so I'm hoping I don't end up feeling like crap and wasting a day.

 

What's the S.O.P re: mask wearing once I hit the two week post-vax point?

AFAIK, those restrictions have been lifted. However, some places might still require them.

 

I carry one around with me in case it's needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

AFAIK, those restrictions have been lifted. However, some places might still require them.

 

I carry one around with me in case it's needed.

Been doing the same and throw it on when the situation seems to necessitate it. E.g: in the elevator at my building, inside smaller stores like a Starbucks where appropriate distancing is tougher to maintain.

 

I'm sure some people will call me an arse for it but in some situations, like walking through the lobby or halls of my building, I've just been walking with the mask hung over my ear for the most part. It's been kinda odd gauging everyone's comfort levels with masks since the mandate was lifted. On the day I was moving in (July 1) I mostly had the mask around my ear other than times where I was sharing the elevator. Had an older lady (maybe 75ish or so) yell at me for not wearing it. Told her the mandate had been lifted (she claimed it hadn't) and that I was partially vaxed. She said she wasn't vaxed so I asked why not, seeing as it had been made available to her quite some time ago- both doses even. She said she had elected not to get it because she doesn't trust it.

 

Does it make me an A-hole for thinking that's her own dam problem? If she had a legitimate reason for not getting it I would gladly wear the mask no questions asked, but given it was a personal choice of hers I feel no responsibility to help her out. Maybe that's a little callous of me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Been doing the same and throw it on when the situation seems to necessitate it. E.g: in the elevator at my building, inside smaller stores like a Starbucks where appropriate distancing is tougher to maintain.

 

I'm sure some people will call me an arse for it but in some situations, like walking through the lobby or halls of my building, I've just been walking with the mask hung over my ear for the most part. It's been kinda odd gauging everyone's comfort levels with masks since the mandate was lifted. On the day I was moving in (July 1) I mostly had the mask around my ear other than times where I was sharing the elevator. Had an older lady (maybe 75ish or so) yell at me for not wearing it. Told her the mandate had been lifted (she claimed it hadn't) and that I was partially vaxed. She said she wasn't vaxed so I asked why not, seeing as it had been made available to her quite some time ago- both doses even. She said she had elected not to get it because she doesn't trust it.

 

Does it make me an A-hole for thinking that's her own dam problem? If she had a legitimate reason for not getting it I would gladly wear the mask no questions asked, but given it was a personal choice of hers I feel no responsibility to help her out. Maybe that's a little callous of me.

It's probably different in larger centers....here in our small corner of the North Coast, we're at over 60% fully vaccinated, so there are quite a few folks walking around maskless and probably a similar number still wearing them....but nobody is looking at anyone askance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's probably different in larger centers....here in our small corner of the North Coast, we're at over 60% fully vaccinated, so there are quite a few folks walking around maskless and probably a similar number still wearing them....but nobody is looking at anyone askance.

I was hoping to get some discussion on my anecdote about the old lady in my building  :lol:. I imagine most of the 70+ are getting their shots but there will be some who refuse. I think it makes for a bit of an interesting moral debate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...