The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These vaccines are incredibly safe, and marvellously effective.  I expect we will have vaccine passports soon.  The Calgary Stampede requires proof of vaccination to get in.  Those who are a feared of vaccination will be limited in society.  

The Calgary Stampede really should have proof of vaccination to let people out. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really don't know what article you're reading but it says: 

On Monday, the chief scientist at the World Health Organization (WHO) cautioned against that approach, calling it “a dangerous trend” for a subsequent dose as well as booster shots saying there was insufficient evidence available about the health impact. 

This just precursor to what will be said later on once more data is available which is do not mix... 

4 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

On Monday, the chief scientist at the World Health Organization (WHO) cautioned against that approach, calling it “a dangerous trend” for a subsequent dose as well as booster shots saying there was insufficient evidence available about the health impact. 

This just precursor to what will be said later on once more data is available which is do not mix... 

"dangerous trend" is not the same as "dangerous practice".  

5 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

keep reading 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

"dangerous trend" is not the same as "dangerous practice".  

These words mean bad... 

Doesn't matter about trend or practice it is not recommended until more data comes in to back it up.

The mixing only became widely used because of variants and the fear associated with them. 

Edited by drummer4now

1 minute ago, drummer4now said:

These words mean bad... 

Doesn't matter about trend or practice it is not recommended until more data comes in to back it up.

The mixing only became widely used because of variants and the fear associated with them. 

you focused on the wrong words.........trends and practices are the keywords

anyway, time will tell I guess, it's pretty much pfizer and moderna from here on out anyway.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

WHO isn't saying don't mix vaccines. The advice is follow your health agency guidelines on it, and don't decide for yourself. Some people are skipping getting Modena e.g. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/data-in-favour-of-mixing-covid-19-vaccines-but-long-term-effects-unknown-experts/ar-AAM4niU

Here's what WHO's chief scientist said:

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/mixing-and-matching-covid-19-vaccines-dangerous-trend-who-s-chief-scientist-soumya-swaminathan-101626110838092.html

The World Health Organization's (WHO's) chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan on Monday warned against mixing and matching of Covid-19 vaccines by different manufacturers for the first and second doses, calling it a “dangerous trend” and saying that there was a lack of data about the impact of the process. “There are people who are thinking about mixing and matching. We receive a lot of queries from people who say they have taken one [dose] and are planning to take another one (doses). It’s a little bit of a dangerous trend here. We are in a data-free, evidence-free zone as far as mix and match,” Swaminathan said in an online briefing earlier in the day.

Mixing and matching of Covid-19 vaccines is a method of immunisation using two doses of the shot from different manufacturers. Most vaccines currently in use, including those of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, University of Oxford-AstraZeneca, Bharat Biotech as well as the Russian Sputnik V, are all required to be administered in two doses with the prescribed intervals between the shots differing for each vaccine. Sputnik V also has a single-dose vaccine named Sputnik V Lite and the jab by Johnson & Johnson is a single-dose vaccine too.

“There is limited data on mix and match. There are studies going on, we need to wait for that. Maybe it will be a very good approach. But, at the moment we only have data on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, followed by Pfizer. It will be a chaotic situation in countries if citizens start deciding when and who will be taking a second, a third and a fourth dose,” she said.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sure sounds to me like she's saying don't mix vaccines - for the time being, at least.

13 hours ago, johngould21 said:

We’re checking the daily numbers in Hawaii, and getting more and more resigned to the fact we might not be going. Their numbers are close to 100 per day, and seem to be rising. We have about two weeks to make that decision. Far too many Americans are traveling to the Islands.

Oh man good luck to you. I am thinking late fall but am not optimistic 

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Here's what WHO's chief scientist said:

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/mixing-and-matching-covid-19-vaccines-dangerous-trend-who-s-chief-scientist-soumya-swaminathan-101626110838092.html

The World Health Organization's (WHO's) chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan on Monday warned against mixing and matching of Covid-19 vaccines by different manufacturers for the first and second doses, calling it a “dangerous trend” and saying that there was a lack of data about the impact of the process. “There are people who are thinking about mixing and matching. We receive a lot of queries from people who say they have taken one [dose] and are planning to take another one (doses). It’s a little bit of a dangerous trend here. We are in a data-free, evidence-free zone as far as mix and match,” Swaminathan said in an online briefing earlier in the day.

Mixing and matching of Covid-19 vaccines is a method of immunisation using two doses of the shot from different manufacturers. Most vaccines currently in use, including those of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, University of Oxford-AstraZeneca, Bharat Biotech as well as the Russian Sputnik V, are all required to be administered in two doses with the prescribed intervals between the shots differing for each vaccine. Sputnik V also has a single-dose vaccine named Sputnik V Lite and the jab by Johnson & Johnson is a single-dose vaccine too.

“There is limited data on mix and match. There are studies going on, we need to wait for that. Maybe it will be a very good approach. But, at the moment we only have data on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, followed by Pfizer. It will be a chaotic situation in countries if citizens start deciding when and who will be taking a second, a third and a fourth dose,” she said.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sure sounds to me like she's saying don't mix vaccines - for the time being, at least.

I'm fairly sure I heard they have already tested and found that mixing created even more protection. I went with two Phizers anyway. I figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm fairly sure I heard they have already tested and found that mixing created even more protection. I went with two Phizers anyway. I figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

Good man

For those that think mixing is a good idea think of it this way double the protection = double the side effects.. 

You pick your poison. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Good man

For those that think mixing is a good idea think of it this way double the protection = double the side effects.. 

You pick your poison. 

Unfortunately, not everyone was given a choice at the time they went for the second jab.  It was either take what was offered or rebook.  Since the priority for most of us was to get our second shot asap, and that we were assured that it was ok to mix the two on advice from the pho, it was not a hard choice to make.  I am not a epidemiologist so I rely on the advice that was given on whether mixing was a good idea.  I was told it was fine.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Not all anti-vaxxers are crazy people just like not all vaxxers are saints.. 

Both sides have pros and cons and IMO the final decisions lies within the individual as it is their body their choice.. 

That notion of helping others and herd immunity is bs and is no guarantee of working. 

Don't get bullied by some government official if you don't want it, but at the same time educate yourself of the benefits. 

I got the vaccine because I didn't want to deal with the bureaucratic nightmare/red tape with not getting one.

So what do you say to an anti vaxxer for this situation (true story).

Anti-vaxxer doesn't want the vaccine because she believes her body is strong enough to combat Covid-19.  But she also doesn't want to come back to work at the office in fear of getting Covid-19.  It should be noted that while she can do part of her work from home, she can't do all of it.  And her efficiency has dropped since working from home.

10 hours ago, coho8888 said:

If those quotes were not taken out of context then that was a totally irresponsible thing to say.  The fact that we've been told time and time again that mixing is ok and maybe even provide greater protection flies in the face of what those statements were saying.  I swear, the handling of the info about the Vaccines has been one cluster you know what.  First it was the stigma surrounding AZ, side effects, effectiveness to the the point where it may not even be recognized as an approved vaccine for international travel.  Then we have this. Another victory for the Anti Vaxxers.  

The whole AZ thing was blown out of proportion by politicians trying to protect national interest and push their own produced vaccines. Not saying side affects are not real they are, but it was people like Macron playing politics with it that kicked it off.

plus I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that they found out why the clotting was occurring and it’s do do with the type of vaccine it was, and that they believe they can fix it so it becomes a none issue for AZ and J&J

• Vintage 1