The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

My questions weren't of the rhetorical nature though.  It was a genuine question about what the vaccine (in my case Pfizer) would do in the case of the Delta variant.  Would I still get it and potentially transmit it?  Has the vaccine showed to be effective against it?  

@NewbieCanuckFan we all have an aunt and an uncle somewhere that aren't perhaps the sharpest tool in the shed.  But I bet you anything that most of them have people that they care for or have others that cared for them.  Laughing at someone that died because of their Covid beliefs really doesn't make you any better then them.  

At this point - given the 'emergency authorization' - vaccine passports are amorale imo.

We talk about the importance of mental health in 2021, and yet medical apartheid will have consequences for those segregated. Maybe some don't care and accept that imposition, that's fine, but that's also the reality. BC already has >70% of people with atleast the first dose.

Covid isnt going anywhere, the possibility of getting rid of it seems already lost. So are we going to have more and more vaccines long-term based on different mutations/variants? (Accompanied by more vax-port mandates perhaps? to show your up to date)

Ultimately if we can't rid ourselves of Covid, then how long are we going to do this? Until we have long term Covid data?

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Lots of stuff to unpack from the survey.  I'm kinda pleased that they found that 86% of people surveyed would get vaccinated if available, 3% were not sure and 3% were waiting.  Compared to 8% who won't.  This may mean that 90% inoculation could be possible.  

EDIT:  Even the majority of Albertans agree with vaccine passports.

• Two-thirds of Canadians (67%) say that they support vaccine passports for large events in their province. Despite opposition from Premiers Doug Ford and Jason Kenney, a majority in Ontario (69%) and Alberta (52%) agree

https://angusreid.org/covid-vaccine-passport-july-2021/

Half of vaccinated Canadians say they’re ‘unlikely’ to spend time around those who remain unvaccinated

The vaccinated say it’s OK to ask about vaccination status, unvaccinated say it’s personal, not OK

Vaccine3.png

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

9 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hysterical vaccinated people so worried that their vaccine won't protect them from someone who isn't vaccinated that they'll avoid them like the plague.

From some of your other posts it’s clear that you know that you can still get Covid even though you’ve been vaccinated.  I’ve been vaccinated but that doesn’t mean I want to get on a plane full of unvaccinated people. I can still contract it and pass it along to my elderly family or friends with compromised immune systems. What you call hysterical I call prudent and caring.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

From some of your other posts it’s clear that you know that you can still get Covid even though you’ve been vaccinated.  I’ve been vaccinated but that doesn’t mean I want to get on a plane full of unvaccinated people. I can still contract it and pass it along to my elderly family or friends with compromised immune systems. What you call hysterical I call prudent and caring.

As you can with the regular flu which kills many thousands of people a year. As covid isn't going anywhere, if people are going to be this paranoid, they might as well barricade themselves inside their home because you can't avoid unvaccinated people, you can't ask them to prove they are before you interact with them because that's already too late and you don't have that right anyway, and you certainly can't force them to get a shot, so..

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

With the majority of deaths and infections occurring in the unvaccinated, I'd rather limit my exposure to that group in order to prevent passing the rona on to someone in my life who is immunocompromised or who cannot get the shot yet (children under 12 for one).

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hysterical vaccinated people so worried that their vaccine won't protect them from someone who isn't vaccinated that they'll avoid them like the plague.

I was kind of thinking along those lines myself...

I play in a band with a guy who's a bit of a conspiracy nut. Hates Trudeau, likes Trump, doesn't trust vaccines (at least, not the Covid vaccine). Thing is, the rest of us have all had both our shots, so I'm not really all that concerned. Besides which, the conspiracy stuff aside, he's a great guy. He owns the PA and lights, but won't take any extra money for them when we play gigs. (back when there were gigs to play, that is)

We just stick to talking music and sports around him....and leave politics out....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was kind of thinking along those lines myself...

I play in a band with a guy who's a bit of a conspiracy nut. Hates Trudeau, likes Trump, doesn't trust vaccines (at least, not the Covid vaccine). Thing is, the rest of us have all had both our shots, so I'm not really all that concerned. Besides which, the conspiracy stuff aside, he's a great guy. He owns the PA and lights, but won't take any extra money for them when we play gigs. (back when there were gigs to play, that is)

We just stick to talking music and sports around him....and leave politics out....

I didn't know my bro even played in a band. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

As you can with the regular flu which kills many thousands of people a year. As covid isn't going anywhere, if people are going to be this paranoid, they might as well barricade themselves inside their home because you can't avoid unvaccinated people, you can't ask them to prove they are before you interact with them because that's already too late and you don't have that right anyway, and you certainly can't force them to get a shot, so..

This whole comparison people make with the flu needs to stop.  It is BS.  Here are two reasons why this comparison to the flu is BS:

More people died in less than one year from Covid than the flu killed in a decade.  Numerous jurisdictions reported this (BC, Alberta, even Alabama). 

There is also the issue with long-covid.  We still do not understand the long-term ramifications of covid infection on people's health yet we do have an understanding with regards to the flu.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I don’t consider myself paranoid, and in daily life as things are opening up I have little interest in knowing who is not vaccinated or in forcing someone to be vaccinated. In general I wish they would as it demonstrates a “we over me” attitude, speeds up the return to normal and decreases the amount that the virus can mutate but since I am not the King of the world, I do the best I can. That means I will interact outdoors with people without knowing their status but I wouldn’t get on a cruise ship or airplane at this point without knowing. 

In the near term I will continue to wear a mask when indoors in public spaces whether required or not and expect that in areas that masks are required that others do the same. In my home where I am King (or at least co-King, or maybe next-in-line to be King) I would not allow an un-vaccinated person that would put my family at risk.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Covid isnt going anywhere only due to selfish a**hats who refuse to do even the bare f***ing minimum to get rid of it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Covid isnt going anywhere only due to selfish a**hats who refuse to do even the bare f***ing minimum to get rid of it.

Especially when there are people who are begging to get theirs (can't due to availability) or people who cannot (can't due to actual medical conditions or children under 12) and these morons are like:

Nope, can't do it because some jagoff in a YouTube video that is 2 hours long said a thing and doesn't provide a primary source for the thing.  When asked to provide the source, these morons won't because they shouldn't have to do the research for you even though they claim they did the research.  

24 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

The government wasn't even checking international travelers coming thru YVR when this whole thing started, when all people in society were their most vigilant. Nevermind a much more intense lockdown or extremely stict travel bans. 

Its not just 'selfish a**hats' who botched this. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Looks like we will get 85-90% of our adults vaccinated.  So the asshats are 10-15% of the population.  10-15% of the people screw things up fir the vast majority, as they always do.  Just round them up and ship them to Alberta.  Which will then be called Asshat Maskchinia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm guessing the vast majority are not fully vaccinated.  Not sure if the BCCDC is sharing those statistics, though they do have a dashboard tool available on their website that covers most of the key stats.

Likewise.  I think that should be made public to help convince those who haven't yet chosen to roll up their sleeves.  The more prominent, the better.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1