The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pretty sure that old fart was Horgan.

Is the problem 2nd doses, or young people that haven't got their 1st dose? 

Lots of seconds, it's getting to the 20 year old age group now. Your never going to get 100% by in from everyone but having BC on pace for 80%+ is pretty solid (80% first so far but I assume all of them will get seconda too) 

37 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Antivaxxers will need to get Covid in order to achieve herd immunity.  Better to get it over with now while our hospitals can handle it.

I just don’t get it.  What possible reason (other than a medical one) could an informed version have to not get vaccinated?  It just makes no sense to me. :picard:

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just don’t get it.  What possible reason (other than a medical one) could an informed version have to not get vaccinated?  It just makes no sense to me. :picard:

Some people trust their ability to Google over the research of highly trained experts.  It's the equivalent of letting Squamfan run the Canucks.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

zOMG, what's Bonnie going to believe in now?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/u-s-cdc-mask-recommendations-1.6119553

To highlight one particular recommendation quoted in the article:

The right move. You cant have an honor system in a society that has so many who value personal freedom over society's safety, anti education/institution, and a high % of population susceptible to misinformation.  This surge in US is expected. Also seen in UK. Reopening too aggressively before 70-80% vaccinated. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

The right move. You cant have an honor system in a society that has so many who value personal freedom over society's safety, anti education/institution, and a high % of population susceptible to misinformation.  This surge in US is expected. Also seen in UK. Reopening too aggressively before 70-80% vaccinated. 

I remember thinking when they brought out their honour system for masks....a small percent of fully vaccinated will stop wearing masks, plus every single anti-masker and anti-vaxxer in the country.  Not a great plan.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I remember thinking when they brought out their honour system for masks....a small percent of fully vaccinated will stop wearing masks, plus every single anti-masker and anti-vaxxer in the country.  Not a great plan.  

I still wear my mask everywhere.  With the smoke in the valley right now, it is an absolute pleasure honestly

• Like 1

I hate the cross-section of business with public policy.  

The mandatory 3 day quarantine even for fully vaccinated people coming back to Canada costs $1200!  Sounds like they're getting rid of the rule first for Americans, and then for other foreign nationals. 

According to data released by Pfizer, a second booster shot dramatically increases protection against the Delta variant:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/health/pfizer-third-dose-data-bn/index.html

A third dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine can “strongly” boost protection against the Delta variant – beyond the protection afforded by the standard two doses, suggests new data released by Pfizer on Wednesday.

The data posted online, which are expected to be discussed in a company earnings call on Wednesday morning, suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant in people ages 18 to 55 who receive a third dose of vaccine are greater than five-fold than following a second dose.

Among people ages 65 to 85, the Pfizer data suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant after receiving a third dose of vaccine are greater than 11-fold than following a second dose.

There’s “estimated potential for up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization post-dose three compared to pre-dose three,” researchers wrote in the Pfizer data slides.

The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published.

The data also show that antibody levels are much higher after a third dose than a second dose against the original coronavirus variant and the Beta variant, first identified in South Africa.

I know that I'd be more than happy to take a third shot, if it provides that much of an increase in protection from Delta....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree it's the right move.  Bonnie might not though.  She seemed to think that schools were low-risk environments earlier this year and would not mandate masks in the classroom.

20 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The science at the time was pointing at masks in indoor settings being an important safety measure, and that proper ventilation as the sole safety measure could not be achieved in classroom settings to prevent transmission (not to mention that many classrooms don't have proper ventilation to begin with).  However, she explicitly chose to refuse to mandate masking in classroom settings.  Her decisions don't seem very scientific or based in common sense to me.

Let's be honest 6, Dr B's decision not to mandate masks in schools had NOTHING to do with science and EVERYTHING to do with appeasing parents.   She knew the s#$t storm that would ensue when administrators would be forced to discipline the 1000's of students/day from k-12 that either refused to or were unable to comply with the mandate. 

It was a discipline-based decision,  not a science based one sadly. 

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Then she should have come out and said that, instead of giving us the bull$&!# that her decisions were entirely science based.

I agree she should've been more forthright,  but doing so would've thrown both administrators and struggling parents under the bus during an already difficult time.  She made a political move and most people I think saw through it for what it was. There was never going to be a solution that appeased all sides unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1