Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

You can download the bc services app on your phone.  You then register and after approval it should have your vaccine history  (as well as other info) on the app

The app accesses Health Gateway.  I get a flu shot each year for the past few years and they are there as well.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well, we saw that JT hopes to have a system regarding Canadians and their vaccination status (from last month).  Hopefully

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/06/18/canada-national-vaccine-passports-trudeau/

 

There is also a system in New York called the Excelsior Pass which has been used by numerous public events to check vaccination status and is going to be mirrored in a number of states.

 

https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass

Gotta say that I’m firmly against vaccine passports.  
 

I say that as someone that is vaccinated. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain  to me why people are against vaccine passports?

 

We have passports for travel.....driver's licenses.....hell anyone with a cell phone or who is on the internet is being tracked.

 

Are the same people against showing vaccine records for kids in school?

 

Can someone enlighten me?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Gotta say that I’m firmly against vaccine passports.  
 

I say that as someone that is vaccinated. 

At first I felt the same. I didn't want some official 'asking for my papers'.

 

Then I realised that my DL has everything... my height, weight, eye colour, address, health care number etc... And the authorities can ask it from me and I must comply.

 

Maybe they will add vaccine certification to our drivers license down the road? 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

 

Australia and New Zealand really lagging behind their 1st world counterparts. Mongolia at 64% is impressive.

 

A map of the world with countries with the highest vaccination rates shaded darker

A rather conspicuous grey spot where China should be.

 

Why would they not be reporting the breakdown of first and second doses?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

A rather conspicuous grey spot where China should be.

 

Why would they not be reporting the breakdown of first and second doses?

It's probably better this way. Would you actually believe the number they posted?

 

These Ass Clowns expect people to believe that 101 countries have had more Covid infections than them. That they have only had 92,277 total infections and only 821 deaths.

 

By way of comparison, Canada has reported 1,423,177 total infections and 26,499 deaths.

 

So yeah, thanks for nothing China.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's probably better this way. Would you actually believe the number they posted?

 

These Ass Clowns expect people to believe that 101 countries have had more Covid infections than them. That they have only had 92,277 total infections and only 821 deaths.

 

By way of comparison, Canada has reported 1,423,177 total infections and 26,499 deaths.

 

So yeah, thanks for nothing China.

You have lots of people who think that China's draconian shut down policies worked so well that the numbers are real, and they've been pumping propaganda that everything's back to normal (despite everyone wearing masks through 2020) the last year. China will never give real numbers to the outside world, they only put out information that enforces whatever narrative they want. Like the article before, my 1.4 billion doses, so many doses! They 100% have the data for first and second doses, but vaccine hesitancy is a huge thing in China, and the proper data would reveal they have a big problem over that like the US, which isn't good for optics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

At first I felt the same. I didn't want some official 'asking for my papers'.

 

Then I realised that my DL has everything... my height, weight, eye colour, address, health care number etc... And the authorities can ask it from me and I must comply.

 

Maybe they will add vaccine certification to our drivers license down the road? 

It's a slippery slope.  Today it's Covid, tomorrow it will be a new thing.  Who gets to decide how far this goes?  I'm glad that I got the Pfizer for example as AstroZeneca isn't approved in the US and you could be turned away even though you got vaccinated.  That's just a current example and the targets keep on shifting about mixing and matching your vaccines.  

 

It's interesting that there were more then a 100,000 people protesting in France two days ago against the vaccine passports but it was hardly mentioned in the Western media, and all the attention was shifted to some signs that compared the proposed measures to the way Jews were identified during the Holocaust.  

 

 

All this time in isolation has been spent on social media.  Having been lucky to grow up in the 80s, I've seen the world before online forums/chats/social media and I know full well how much people want to feel a part of a movement/group/etc.  It's completely messed up how tribal people feel on this Covid issue and I believe it's precisely because of all the extra time spent on social media.  If you think that Covid is a scam, Facebook and other news sources will keep feeding you more of what you agree with.  If you are on the other extremely safe side, you will get more news to confirm whatever bias you hold.  

For every fool on one side of the debate, there is another fool on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.  For every person denying Covid and pretending that it's some big government scam, there is a person on the other end that is prepared to give up all their rights and let governments and corporations impose whatever limitations/requirements that they wish.  

 

People need to meet in the middle instead of letting themselves get carried away to opposite sides of the spectrum. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's a slippery slope.  Today it's Covid, tomorrow it will be a new thing.  Who gets to decide how far this goes?  I'm glad that I got the Pfizer for example as AstroZeneca isn't approved in the US and you could be turned away even though you got vaccinated.  That's just a current example and the targets keep on shifting about mixing and matching your vaccines.  

 

It's interesting that there were more then a 100,000 people protesting in France two days ago against the vaccine passports but it was hardly mentioned in the Western media, and all the attention was shifted to some signs that compared the proposed measures to the way Jews were identified during the Holocaust.  

 

 

All this time in isolation has been spent on social media.  Having been lucky to grow up in the 80s, I've seen the world before online forums/chats/social media and I know full well how much people want to feel a part of a movement/group/etc.  It's completely messed up how tribal people feel on this Covid issue and I believe it's precisely because of all the extra time spent on social media.  If you think that Covid is a scam, Facebook and other news sources will keep feeding you more of what you agree with.  If you are on the other extremely safe side, you will get more news to confirm whatever bias you hold.  

For every fool on one side of the debate, there is another fool on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.  For every person denying Covid and pretending that it's some big government scam, there is a person on the other end that is prepared to give up all their rights and let governments and corporations impose whatever limitations/requirements that they wish.  

 

People need to meet in the middle instead of letting themselves get carried away to opposite sides of the spectrum. 

I understand and agree with a lot of what you say here.

 

As others have pointed out vax passports are not a new thing. I'm also a pre-internet/social media old fart and see this issue as yet another political divide, instead of all of us focusing and discussing what is important/best for... all. of. us. 

 

I am glad you made your statement, I think many people are thinking the passports are an infringement  on their freedoms. They are, to some degree, not unlike many other identifiers in our society, such as our DL or  even cell phones.

 

We have never lived in anywhere close to real freedom, we exist in a social contract consisting of morals, laws and ethics. That said we should always question motivations of our elected governing authorities for clarity and to keep them in check.

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's a slippery slope.  Today it's Covid, tomorrow it will be a new thing.

I mean, you just used a very common logical fallacy that you named in your first sentence. Documentation over an individuals inoculation status isn't forcing everyone to have a barcode on their forehead any government agent can scan. If you want international travel right now, with the inability of many nations to store and use mRNA vaccines which are the ones strong enough to actually provide serious protection against this diseases many variants, is to make sure anyone entering or leaving Canada has protection. If someone wants to go to a foreign country without a vaccine and come back with a new variant they are being extremely selfish.

Edited by Kurgom
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I understand and agree with a lot of what you say here.

 

As others have pointed out vax passports are not a new thing. I'm also a pre-internet/social media old fart and see this issue as yet another political divide, instead of all of us focusing and discussing what is important/best for... all. of. us. 

 

I am glad you made your statement, I think many people are thinking the passports are an infringement  on their freedoms. They are, to some degree, not unlike many other identifiers in our society, such as our DL or  even cell phones.

 

We have never lived in anywhere close to real freedom, we exist in a social contract consisting of morals, laws and ethics. That said we should always question motivations of our elected governing authorities for clarity and to keep them in check.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The sometimes erratic level of pride over freedom and individualism in North America makes me laugh at times. 

 

By being a Canadian citizen you are willfully giving up some of your freedoms in exchange for security and peace. You agree to play by a set of rules in a society that you live in and interact with on a daily basis. Don't like the game you're playing? You're welcome to leave and go join a different one. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kurgom said:

I mean, you just used a very common logical fallacy that you named in your first sentence. Documentation over an individuals inoculation status isn't forcing everyone to have a barcode on their forehead any government agent can scan. If you want international travel right now, with the inability of many nations to store and use mRNA vaccines which are the ones strong enough to actually provide serious protection against this diseases many variants, is to make sure anyone entering or leaving Canada has protection. If someone wants to go to a foreign country without a vaccine and come back with a new variant they are being extremely selfish.

It's not just about government agencies, it's also about businesses.  I don't believe that it's a step in the right direction to be able to refuse services to people based on their vaccination record.  

Nobody wants to go to a foreign country and come back with a new variant, not sure why you're bringing up a strawman argument.  Would the vaccine even work against a new variant?  It seems that it would help you not get terribly ill, but you would still carry the new variant with you whether you're vaccinated or not.  Am I wrong here? 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. The sometimes erratic level of pride over freedom and individualism in North America makes me laugh at times. 

 

By being a Canadian citizen you are willfully giving up some of your freedoms in exchange for security and peace. You agree to play by a set of rules in a society that you live in and interact with on a daily basis. Don't like the game you're playing? You're welcome to leave and go join a different one. 

Not sure if you're referring to my post with the "erratic level of pride over freedom and individualism" but there is nothing of the sort within me.  Pretty simplistic view if your answer to everything is "if you don't like it, get out of here".  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Not sure if you're referring to my post with the "erratic level of pride over freedom and individualism" but there is nothing of the sort within me.  Pretty simplistic view if your answer to everything is "if you don't like it, get out of here".  

Nah, while I don't fully agree with your argument, it wasn't directed towards you.

 

I was just yelling at a blank wall because I've facepalmed so many times throughout this pandemic at anti-vaxxers who use the whole freedom argument. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the office today for the first time in 15 months at a new job. Actually accomplished less there than I would have at home. I really hope this antiquated notion of "you gotta be in the office" goes the way of the dodo bird. It's such a bull$&!# mentality. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Higher cases than this time last year apparently. 

In fairness, there wasn't much testing done this time last year.  I suspect if you look at the positivity rate, the figure for this time last year will likely be signficantly higher than the positivity rate for the last reported figures.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...