The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, gurn said:

nevermind, dyslexia struck again, I had some numbers jumbled.

I used to know a hardcore Atheist who was dyslexic.....

....He didn't believe in Dog.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I'm wondering if the NHL will do something similar as the schedule is kinda compressed due to the inclusion of an Olympic break.  I wonder if teams would be able to suspend such players.  Last thing we need is another Canucks outbreak to happen when vaccines will be readily available by training camp.

They will have to.  No real way to postpone games this year.  I hear the football players don't get paid for their forfeited game either.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

They will have to.  No real way to postpone games this year.  I hear the football players don't get paid for their forfeited game either.  

Unless they were vaccinated, no?  NFL is struggling to convince their players to get vaccinated.  Considering these are all college educated players, it’s kind of surprising they’re refusing vaccination.  

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Unless they were vaccinated, no?  NFL is struggling to convince their players to get vaccinated.  Considering these are all college educated players, it’s kind of surprising they’re refusing vaccination.  

I took this from the NFL page.

In addition, players on both teams will not be paid for the lost contest, and the team responsible for the cancelled game due to unvaccinated players will cover financial losses and be subject to potential discipline from the Commissioner's office.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-forfeit-cancelled-game

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I took this from the NFL page.

In addition, players on both teams will not be paid for the lost contest, and the team responsible for the cancelled game due to unvaccinated players will cover financial losses and be subject to potential discipline from the Commissioner's office.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-covid-19-outbreaks-unvaccinated-players-forfeit-cancelled-game

So the unvaccinated guys will cost all the other players money.  Oh boy!  This is going to get nasty. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

So the unvaccinated guys will cost all the other players money.  Oh boy!  This is going to get nasty. 

It's pretty harsh.  Can you imagine a normal workplace doing that.  Anyone in the office gets covid, the whole office shuts down, and nobody gets paid for the week.  Someone won't have any coffee break friends for a long time.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

It's pretty harsh.  Can you imagine a normal workplace doing that.  Anyone in the office gets covid, the whole office shuts down, and nobody gets paid for the week.  Someone won't have any coffee break friends for a long time.  

Weirdest part, even if you are vaccinated you can still get and spread covid, you just aren't likely to get sick from it.

So how could a team or league tell who was spreading the covid?

Unless I'm  way off base?

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

Weirdest part, even if you are vaccinated you can still get and spread covid, you just aren't likely to get sick from it.

My guess is that it would be based on the number of unvaccinated players on the team that got Covid being high enough to have to postpone the game. I don’t think it’s really about who is spreading it.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, gurn said:

From what I've read, you're much less likely to get it, and much less likely to spread it due to a vastly reduced viral load in breakthrough cases. What's still unknown is how effective the vaccines will be with the Delta variant as it produces a much larger viral load than its predecessor. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, gurn said:

My guess is that the NFL is taking the stance that there's a "proven" way to avoid a shutdown (because the vaccine inhibits the most serious of outcomes, thus even if there's an outbreak situation, it's no longer a matter of life or death), and if some players choose not to get vaccinated and by virtue of their non-vaccinated status (and therefore - at risk of death) are caught in an outbreak forcing a game to be cancelled (because the league does not want the liability associated with deaths to unvaccinated players on both teams as a result of the outbreak, regardless of who brought the virus into the outbreak), then the punitive measure is placed on those that could have avoided putting the league into that potential liability situation - ie. the team with unvaccinated players where the outbreak is first detected.

Convoluted, I know - but I'm thinking its all about risk reduction and minimizing liability.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

From what I've read, you're much less likely to get it, and much less likely to spread it due to a vastly reduced viral load in breakthrough cases. What's still unknown is how effective the vaccines will be with the Delta variant as it produces a much larger viral load than its predecessor. 

Have I got news for you... :lol:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pfizer-astrazeneca-versus-delta-1.6113014

Two doses of Pfizer, AstraZeneca COVID-19 shots effective against delta variant, study finds

Pfizer found to be 88 per cent effective at preventing symptomatic disease from delta variant

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Jul 22, 2021 2:33 PM ET | Last Updated: 10 hours ago

1233986271.jpg
A health worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine in Manila on July 15. Two doses of that shot or AstraZeneca-Oxford's COVID-19 vaccines are nearly as effective against the highly transmissible delta coronavirus variant as they are against the previously dominant alpha variant, a new study shows. (AFP/Getty Images)

Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech or AstraZeneca-Oxford's COVID-19 vaccines are nearly as effective against the highly transmissible delta coronavirus variant as they are against the previously dominant alpha variant, a new study shows.

Officials say vaccines are highly effective against the delta variant, now the dominant variant worldwide — though the study reiterated that one shot of the vaccines is not enough for high protection.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday, confirms headline findings given by Public Health England (PHE) in May about the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca, based on real-world data.

The research team found that two doses of Pfizer's shot was 88 per cent effective at preventing symptomatic disease from the delta variant, compared to 93.7 per cent effective against the alpha variant, broadly the same as previously reported.

Two shots of the AstraZeneca vaccine were 67 per cent effective against the delta variant, up from 60 per cent originally reported, and 74.5 per cent effective against the alpha variant, compared to an original estimate of 66 per cent effectiveness.

"Only modest differences in vaccine effectiveness were noted with the delta variant as compared with the Alpha variant after the receipt of two vaccine doses," PHE researchers wrote in the study.

The research didn't look at the effectiveness of mixing brands for different doses, though ongoing U.K. research has shown the Pfizer-BioNTech and AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccines appear to generate a stronger immune response than having two rounds of the AstraZeneca shot.

WATCH | Delta variant a 'dangerous' virus, says WHO:

indonesia.JPG?crop=1.777xh:h;*,*&downsiz

COVID-19 delta variant a 'dangerous virus,' says WHO

27 days ago
0:56
The World Health Organization says the trajectory for the COVID-19 delta variant in some countries is almost 'vertical' and warns that even partially vaccinated countries are at great risk because of its high transmissibility. (Willy Kurniawan/Reuters) 0:56

High protection against severe disease

Data from Israel has estimated lower effectiveness of Pfizer's shot against symptomatic disease, although protection against severe disease remains high.

PHE had previously said that a first dose of either vaccine was around 33 per cent effective against symptomatic disease from the delta variant.

The full study also found that one dose of Pfizer's shot was 36 per cent effective, and one dose of AstraZeneca's vaccine was around 30 per cent effective.

"Our finding of reduced effectiveness after the first dose would support efforts to maximize vaccine uptake with two doses among vulnerable groups in the context of circulation of the delta variant," the authors of the study said.

There's more, but I just captured the most tasty bits.  :P

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Have I got news for you... :lol:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pfizer-astrazeneca-versus-delta-1.6113014

There's more, but I just captured the most tasty bits.  :P

Sorry about that. I was referring to the viral load of breakthrough cases, especially those with mild symptoms.

Should breakthrough infections worry vaccinated people? https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/health/breakthrough-covid-infections-wellness/index.html

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My guess is that the NFL is taking the stance that there's a "proven" way to avoid a shutdown (because the vaccine inhibits the most serious of outcomes, thus even if there's an outbreak situation, it's no longer a matter of life or death), and if some players choose not to get vaccinated and by virtue of their non-vaccinated status (and therefore - at risk of death) are caught in an outbreak forcing a game to be cancelled (because the league does not want the liability associated with deaths to unvaccinated players on both teams as a result of the outbreak, regardless of who brought the virus into the outbreak), then the punitive measure is placed on those that could have avoided putting the league into that potential liability situation - ie. the team with unvaccinated players where the outbreak is first detected.

Convoluted, I know - but I'm thinking its all about risk reduction and minimizing liability.

This is the first player reaction that I have seen. 

63DB8151-DE82-43CA-8EF4-809194D4B45C.jpeg

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This is the first player reaction that I have seen. 

63DB8151-DE82-43CA-8EF4-809194D4B45C.jpeg

Finally nice to see someone speak out about the bullying that comes with not getting one..

Remember people it is a choice if one wants it or not... stop trying to ram it down peoples throat and giving that nonsense of protecting others.

I got the vaccine but if I actually had a choice I wouldn't have. The red tape and social stigma was too much for me not to get one. 

• RoughGame 1

6 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Yeah its a choice and you are free to make it if you so choose, but there are consequences to making that choice. I have the freedom to walk in the middle of a highway if i choose to but i wpuld have to accept the risk of getting flattened by a semi if i do so. People seem to be getting hung up on their rights without understanding that with rights come responsibilities as a citizen of the countries we live in. Theres no such thing as a free lunch and if you want to go unvaccinated then you have to accept that you may not be able to do everything you want to do.

chuck-norris-approved.jpg

• Like 1