The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, stawns said:

One silver lining to the resurgence of the delta variant is that it's almost sure to make vaccine passports a thing everywhere.  It's pretty obvious now that if you haven't gotten a jab, you're doing so willfully and nothing anyone says will change your mind.  The rest of us want our lives back........we stepped up, it should be the responsible majority dictating virus policy, not the selfish, irresponsible, whiny minority.

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My big fear is that all of our suffering, all the economic damage, all of this can/will be either extended or rendered pointless BECAUSE of those anti vaxxers who refuse based on selfishness

We'll all have to suffer for their petulance and they'll blame the government for it instead of taking ownership.

Get those passports out like France just did.  See what changes

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you can already see people whining about how "unfair" passports are, how we should be respecting their choice. What choice, to knowingly spread a disease? 

the only thing thats going to change it is them catching an even deadlier variant and images of bodies stacked up outside of VGH. 

Except the federal government has already stated they wont introduce Vaccine Passports at the moment and let the provinces decide...

Ontario and Alberta have already said No as it violates ethics laws. 

Vaccine Passports are more of a European/American thing where the cases are much worse than here. 

38 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

Except the federal government has already stated they wont introduce Vaccine Passports at the moment and let the provinces decide...

Ontario and Alberta have already said No as it violates ethics laws. 

Vaccine Passports are more of a European/American thing where the cases are much worse than here. 

I need to provide proof of essential shots to visit specific countries I worked in.

This is coming or another locke down based on the selfish ignorance of the few.

Take your pick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

78% of the positive cases in BC, are unvaccinated people. You might get lucky and have minor symptoms, or you might end up in ICU or DEAD! I don't see a choice or decision to make at all.

I wonder what % of the hospitalized Covid people are unvaccinated?  95% - 100%.  It’s not only selfish to refuse vaccination, but it’s incredibly risky.  The long term consequences of having road rash inside one’s lungs is not something anyone should be excited about living with.  Yet, there are still about 15% of the population who choose that risk.  Not to mention the effects on the rest of society by spreading disease, and becoming a Petri dish for Covid mutation.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

A radio host who is 'not an anti- vaxxer, just a skeptic'  ends up in the hospital. 

Seems to have changed his mind,  apparently he now believes Covid is serious.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hil-valentine-covid-19-vaccine-skeptic-radio-host/

"

The family of conservative radio host Phil Valentine – who has been a COVID-19 vaccine skeptic – is urging others to get the vaccine after Valentine was hospitalized with the virus.

Valentine, who hosts a show on WWTN-FM in Nashville, revealed on July 11 that he had COVID-19. "Yes, the rumors are true," he wrote on Facebook. "I have COVID. Unfortunately for the haters out there, it looks like I'm going to make it."

Valentine called the illness an "interesting experience" and said he would fill listeners in when he was back on the air. "I'm hoping that will be tomorrow, but I may take a day off just as a precaution. It'll be a game time decision," he wrote.

About two weeks later, his brother, Mark Valentine revealed the host was in the hospital and "in very serious condition, suffering from Covid Pneumonia and the attendant side effects."

n a statement on behalf of the family, posted Friday on the radio station's Facebook account, Mark said his brother was in a critical care unit "breathing with assistance but is NOT on a ventilator."

"Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an 'anti-vaxer' he regrets not being more vehemently 'Pro-Vaccine', and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon," the statement reads.

"Phil & his family would like for all of you to know that he loves ya'll and appreciates your concern, thoughts & prayers more than you will ever know," the statement continues. "Please continue to pray for his recovery and PLEASE GO GET VACCINATED!"

Mark Valentine also appeared on WWTN-FM in Nashville on Thursday, speaking about his brother's condition, according to the Associated Press.

"First of all, he's regretful that he wasn't a more vocal advocate of the vaccination," his brother said. "For those listening, I know if he were able to tell you this, he would tell you, 'Go get vaccinated. Quit worrying about the politics. Quit worrying about all the conspiracy theories.'"

Phil Valentine spoke on the radio after testing positive for COVID-19, but before he was hospitalized, the AP reports. He said he did not to get the COVID-19 vaccine because he thought he probably wouldn't die from the virus.

The United States has reported the most COVID-19 cases – 34,446,383 – than any other country in the world. There have been 610,892 COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. Anyone can catch COVID-19 and die from it. 

Age and pre-existing conditions such as obesity put individuals at higher risk of serious illness from the virus. Valentine is 61 years old, which puts him at higher risk than younger people. 

On the radio, Valentine said he was "taking vitamin D like crazy" and that a doctor agreed to prescribe ivermectin, according to the AP.

However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says not to take the medication to treat COVID-19. "There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin to treat humans with COVID-19," the administration said.

"Ivermectin is often used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals. The FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses," the administration said, adding that ivermectin has not been approved by the FDA for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans.

As for vitamin D, the National Institute for Health states there "is insufficient evidence to recommend either for or against the use of vitamin D for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19."

Earlier this month, U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy issued a stark warning in an effort to fight misinformation that the COVID vaccine is dangerous.

In his first advisory, Murthy said the false information shared on social media is driving vaccine hesitancy, especially among young people, who are increasingly hospitalized because of the Delta variant, particularly in the South.

Georgetown University researchers have identified five significant under-vaccinated areas in the southern and lower Midwestern part of the U.S., including Tennessee.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I wonder what % of the hospitalized Covid people are unvaccinated?  95% - 100%.  It’s not only selfish to refuse vaccination, but it’s incredibly risky.  The long term consequences of having road rash inside one’s lungs is not something anyone should be excited about living with.  Yet, there are still about 15% of the population who choose that risk.  Not to mention the effects on the rest of society by spreading disease, and becoming a Petri dish for Covid mutation.  

I believe it's over 90% for sure Alf. Incredible that we're still having this conversation 8 months after vaccines became available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

A radio host who is 'not an anti- vaxxer, just a skeptic'  ends up in the hospital. 

Seems to have changed his mind,  apparently he now believes Covid is serious.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hil-valentine-covid-19-vaccine-skeptic-radio-host/

"

The family of conservative radio host Phil Valentine – who has been a COVID-19 vaccine skeptic – is urging others to get the vaccine after Valentine was hospitalized with the virus.

Valentine, who hosts a show on WWTN-FM in Nashville, revealed on July 11 that he had COVID-19. "Yes, the rumors are true," he wrote on Facebook. "I have COVID. Unfortunately for the haters out there, it looks like I'm going to make it."

Valentine called the illness an "interesting experience" and said he would fill listeners in when he was back on the air. "I'm hoping that will be tomorrow, but I may take a day off just as a precaution. It'll be a game time decision," he wrote.

About two weeks later, his brother, Mark Valentine revealed the host was in the hospital and "in very serious condition, suffering from Covid Pneumonia and the attendant side effects."

n a statement on behalf of the family, posted Friday on the radio station's Facebook account, Mark said his brother was in a critical care unit "breathing with assistance but is NOT on a ventilator."

"Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an 'anti-vaxer' he regrets not being more vehemently 'Pro-Vaccine', and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon," the statement reads.

"Phil & his family would like for all of you to know that he loves ya'll and appreciates your concern, thoughts & prayers more than you will ever know," the statement continues. "Please continue to pray for his recovery and PLEASE GO GET VACCINATED!"

Mark Valentine also appeared on WWTN-FM in Nashville on Thursday, speaking about his brother's condition, according to the Associated Press.

"First of all, he's regretful that he wasn't a more vocal advocate of the vaccination," his brother said. "For those listening, I know if he were able to tell you this, he would tell you, 'Go get vaccinated. Quit worrying about the politics. Quit worrying about all the conspiracy theories.'"

Phil Valentine spoke on the radio after testing positive for COVID-19, but before he was hospitalized, the AP reports. He said he did not to get the COVID-19 vaccine because he thought he probably wouldn't die from the virus.

The United States has reported the most COVID-19 cases – 34,446,383 – than any other country in the world. There have been 610,892 COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. Anyone can catch COVID-19 and die from it. 

Age and pre-existing conditions such as obesity put individuals at higher risk of serious illness from the virus. Valentine is 61 years old, which puts him at higher risk than younger people. 

On the radio, Valentine said he was "taking vitamin D like crazy" and that a doctor agreed to prescribe ivermectin, according to the AP.

However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says not to take the medication to treat COVID-19. "There seems to be a growing interest in a drug called ivermectin to treat humans with COVID-19," the administration said.

"Ivermectin is often used in the U.S. to treat or prevent parasites in animals. The FDA has received multiple reports of patients who have required medical support and been hospitalized after self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses," the administration said, adding that ivermectin has not been approved by the FDA for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans.

As for vitamin D, the National Institute for Health states there "is insufficient evidence to recommend either for or against the use of vitamin D for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19."

Earlier this month, U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy issued a stark warning in an effort to fight misinformation that the COVID vaccine is dangerous.

In his first advisory, Murthy said the false information shared on social media is driving vaccine hesitancy, especially among young people, who are increasingly hospitalized because of the Delta variant, particularly in the South.

Georgetown University researchers have identified five significant under-vaccinated areas in the southern and lower Midwestern part of the U.S., including Tennessee.  

My God, people are so susceptible to snake oil salesmen.  Was it bleach as a cure last Year?  Now ivermectin.  That’s a dewormer for farm animals.  Anyone not getting vaccinated (for other than medical reasons) is an idiot.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Yeah I don’t want to put a vaccine into my body cause that could be risky but where do I sign up for pig de-wormer?  :blink:

Yup.  Huff some disinfectant.  That’ll kill those Covid bugs.

image.jpeg.fea43c98510a1fdb188dad1432ff0ff2.jpeg

Must be getting bad again, stateside.

Msn posting 3 stories about rampant covid.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/virus-expert-issues-warning-for-all-americans/ss-AAMzokd?ocid=msedgntp

Virus Expert Issues Warning for All Americans

The coronavirus refuses to go away this summer, as a new Delta variant proves more aggressive, and more transmissible, than any respiratory virus in recent memory. Worryingly, only half the country has been vaccinated. Former FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb, who is also on the board of Pfizer, appeared on Face the Nation yesterday to explain how to keep yourself safe given the rising cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Read on for his five essential pieces of advice—and to ensure your health and the health of others, don't miss these Sure Signs You Have "Long" COVID and May Not Even Know It.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/dr-fauci-just-issued-this-urgent-warning/ss-AAMzufj?ocid=msedgntp

Dr. Fauci Just Issued This Urgent Warning

After so many months, it's tempting to get numb to the coronavirus pandemic, but COVID-19 doesn't care; it's surging again due to the highly transmissible Delta variant. Only 49% of Americans are vaccinated. Models predict we could see "a tripling of the current daily death toll," said CNN's Jake Tapper on State of the Union yesterday. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the chief medical advisor to the President and the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, appeared with him and issued a big warning. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/trump-surgeon-general-pandemic-is-spiraling-out-of-control/ar-AAMAk5F?ocid=msedgntp

Former Surgeon General Jerome Adams, who served during the Trump administration, said on Sunday that the pandemic is "spiraling out of control yet again," as cases begin to rise and the country's vaccination rate plateaus.

"More mitigation is coming, whether it's masking or whether it's closures or whether it's your kids having to return to virtual learning, that is coming. And it's coming because this pandemic is spiraling out of control yet again, and it's spiraling out of control because we don't have enough people vaccinated," Adams told host John Dickerson on CBS's "Face the Nation."

"So get vaccinated because it helps your neighbors, but get vaccinated because it's going to help every single American enjoy the freedoms that we want to return to," Adams continued.

More than 163 million people in the U.S. are fully inoculated against COVID-19, which translates to 49.1 percent of the total population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC reports that 56.8 percent of the U.S. population has received at least one dose of the vaccine.

Cases have been on the rise in recent weeks, however, as the highly infectious delta variant spreads through the country. The surge in infections have mainly affected those who have not been vaccinated.

Anthony Fauci, President Biden's chief medical adviser, said on Sunday in a separate interview that COVID-19 has become an "outbreak among the unvaccinated."

Vaccine hesitancy is still proving to be a hurdle in reaching herd immunity, as sectors of the population remain steadfast in their opposition to getting inoculated.

Adams told Dickerson that one of the quickest ways to increase the country's inoculation rate and reduce vaccine hesitancy is by getting the shots fully authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Currently, the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines are all available through the FDA's emergency use authorization.

"If you want to get a bunch of people vaccinated really quickly, get these vaccines licensed. And then you'll see the military make it mandatory, you'll see businesses make it mandatory," Adams said."

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's baffling actually....

Look at it like smoking. Yes, it's your choice, but there's a reason you aren't allowed to smoke in public places and around your co-workers....

modern conservatives are obsessed with the idea of choice, or at least themselves having choices. They don't seem to mind you getting sick. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

modern conservatives are obsessed with the idea of choice, or at least themselves having choices. They don't seem to mind you getting sick. 

Modern conservatives

Covid - "my body, my choice"

Abortion "BABY MURDERER"

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Modern conservatives

Covid - "my body, my choice"

Abortion "BABY MURDERER"

I'm tired of our golden age of stupidity. Tolerating peoples misconceptions of choice is a real threat to public health. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3