The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Was that person locked up?

I know of a dentist who was HIV positive who knowingly infected patients, he got jail time. 

I think that's illegal in general.  If you were HIV positive and took a girl home the bar don't you legally have to disclose that you're HIV +?  I wouldn't think that law would carry over to unvaccinated people spreading their diseases, but it should.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

If you were HIV positive and took a girl home the bar don't you legally have to disclose that you're HIV +?

Not sure anymore.

There was a controversial law passed in Cali a few years back.The idea is that people wont get tested for HIV in the first place if you make it criminal to not disclose.Choosing ignorance 

Don't know what laws Canada has though...

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/new-california-law-reduces-penalty-knowingly-exposing-someone-hiv-n809416

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Not sure anymore.

There was a controversial law passed in Cali a few years back.The idea is that people wont get tested for HIV in the first place if you make it criminal to not disclose.Choosing ignorance 

Don't know what laws Canada has though...

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/new-california-law-reduces-penalty-knowingly-exposing-someone-hiv-n809416

Not sure if I agree with Cali here.  Found this for Canada (https://www.canada.ca/en/department-justice/news/2017/12/fact_sheet_hiv_non-disclosureandthecriminallaw.html).  Failing to disclose STIs can invalidate consent, which makes sense to me.

• Cheers 2

All this talk about vaccine mandates.  Moderna is still submitting data so full approval will be later.  J&J plans to apply later this year.  Once vaccines are fully approved, vaccine mandates in the US will ramp up.

Tick Tock anti-vaxxers

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-approval.html?referringSource=articleShare

F.D.A. Aims to Give Final Approval to Pfizer Vaccine by Early Next Month

The Food and Drug Administration’s move is expected to kick off more vaccination mandates for hospital workers, college students and federal troops.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

All this talk about vaccine mandates.  Moderna is still submitting data so full approval will be later.  J&J plans to apply later this year.  Once vaccines are fully approved, vaccine mandates in the US will ramp up.

Tick Tock anti-vaxxers

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-approval.html?referringSource=articleShare

F.D.A. Aims to Give Final Approval to Pfizer Vaccine by Early Next Month

The Food and Drug Administration’s move is expected to kick off more vaccination mandates for hospital workers, college students and federal troops.

NYC starting vaccine passports in September.  Hoping this spreads up here. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/3/new-york-city-announces-vaccine-mandate-for-indoor-activities

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, drummer4now said:

This like comparing apples and oranges.. they are both fruits but so different in colour,taste, etc..

No one is disputing drinking and driving as being bad and a known killer of people with the chance of fatality going up with every increase of blood alcohol level. 

But with this virus and vaccine there many factors to how one could contract it/spread it. 

Your notion that only a unvaccinated person might spread COVID 19 and kill someone is incorrect as a vaccinated person could also unknowingly do so. 

Part of my argument in this particular matter is there should be no consequences for being unvaccinated when the law clearly states it is voluntary to get one. Is it a issue of ethics? certainly but I am just going by what the rules and regulation state. Just like the law says don’t drink and drive period;  I checked everywhere and it doesn’t say no vaccine means you’re not welcomed… nor does it say unvaccinated = killer.  

People should not be excluded or handcuffed nor should  society be divided up in a two tier system. 
From seeing the response by the federal government and certain provincial ones this seems to be the case. 

The private sector has the right to make their own decision, but they should weigh both sides before making a decision…

Just like how when you're drinking and driving and you're more likely to get into an accident; when you are unvaccinated you are more likely to contract the virus and spread it. 

You can live your life as is if you choose to be unvaccinated, but be prepared to deal with inconveniences to your life. We're not taking about denying unvaccinated people healthcare or rights to other public goods, but when it comes to more discretionary activities such as going out to restaurants or clubs, you could be questioned at the very least. 

As for your last point, the private sector should of course weigh both sides before making a decision...and then they can come to the decision that they want their customers to be vaccinated. 

For some time various fields in Canada required testing for things like TB in order to get hired.  Others required vaccinations (military members get all kinds of shots).  In a number of healthcare fields, it was get a flu shot or wear masks/work in a different unit during flu season.  Healthcare restrictions were a thing prior to this pandemic.  If you think restrictions are not coming, you are living in la la land.  I could easily see the choice being get vaccinated or you will wear a mask/work in a different capacity/regular covid test that you may need to pay for. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

If enough people get vaccinated, the R factor of the virus will be below 1 which will give a chance for the virus to slowly peter out.  Vaccines are there to slow the spread as they make it less likely for someone to get infected or spread it.  Slowing the spread will also prevent more virulent strains from forming.  Vaccines also protect you from serious complications if you do get infected.  You don't just "target" hotspots where infections are high because by that time its already too late.  If we had 95% vaccination rates here, then we wouldn't need these measures.  But major parts of the US are still under 50% which won't cut it.

Yes you may be right that the virus won't go away anytime soon but that's because of anti vaxxers and covid deniers that keep this virus circulating not because we don't have the tools to get rid of it.

mememe_f349ae95245cd9920b3de8a9663d3a16-1.jpg

7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

If enough people get vaccinated, the R factor of the virus will be below 1 which will give a chance for the virus to slowly peter out.  Vaccines are there to slow the spread as they make it less likely for someone to get infected or spread it.  Slowing the spread will also prevent more virulent strains from forming.  Vaccines also protect you from serious complications if you do get infected.  You don't just "target" hotspots where infections are high because by that time its already too late.  If we had 95% vaccination rates here, then we wouldn't need these measures.  But major parts of the US are still under 50% which won't cut it.

Yes you may be right that the virus won't go away anytime soon but that's because of anti vaxxers and covid deniers that keep this virus circulating not because we don't have the tools to get rid of it.

Precisely.

Re-posting the article below to reinforce the point above.

96% of COVID-19 cases are among those not fully vaccinated, B.C. health officials say

“If you take all the cases from June 15 to July 15, 78 per cent of those cases are among those who are unvaccinated,” Adrian Dix said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8056167/new-covid-cases-not-fully-vaccinated/

10 hours ago, drummer4now said:

I can assure you my blood work and blood pressure is fine :) not that I don’t know why three posters have mentioned medication and supporting big pharma.

Well thankfully no member on CDC is in charge of public health measures… Strip one right for another? Favour one person over the other? What is this a two tier society… 

In eyes of human rights we are equal. 

I hope that none of this will be implanted in BC at least on a mass scale maybe some private sectors but not to the degree of NYC. 

It is nice that provinces have the final decision on vaccine passports not federal government… 

This idea has already been shutdown in Ontario and Alberta and hopefully in BC. 

This public health crisis should politicalized as we have seen some poor and excellent decisions.

Just curious: Exactly which "right" is being stripped here?

Granted, I only skimmed the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but I didn't see anything that would preclude the implementation of public health mandates, including masks....

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, drummer4now said:

I can assure you my blood work and blood pressure is fine :)

My comment was directed at how you concluded that....that the blood work indicated it, which isn't how it's measured.

And rights only extend so far in this world.  Your rights AND my rights have to be considered and you have the right to not vaccinate against a highly contagious virus but you don't have the right to spread it to others (like me and my family).

You have a right to smoke....you just can't spread your second hand smoke to me.

You have a right to get hammered...you just can't drive drunk in the wrong lane head on at me.

You have a right to eat peanut butter....just not in a classroom where a child has a severe nut allergy.

You have a right to wear horrible cologne...just not in a highly sensitive critical care unit.

Etc.

So rights only extend so far and they do have limitations and boundaries.  Go outside your home into public and others' rights also come into play.

In the US, the right to bear arms doesn't mean you can go shoot at things wherever you want.  If  you're endangering others, your rights will likely be challenged.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, gurn said:

CAn you provide a link to to confirm that vaccinate people pass the disease "all the same as an unvacinated person".

Afaik transmission is possible but less likely.

They pass it the same in that they do interacting with people doing all the same activities unvaccinated people do. It's less likely but it still obviously happens, which is what I meant. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They pass it the same in that they do interacting with people doing all the same activities unvaccinated people do. It's less likely but it still obviously happens, which is what I meant. 

So it is less likely.

Confirmed.

Thanks

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, Whorvat said:

Ah yes, they're the ones being manipulated.

Disgusting overreach of power by governments. Give an inch, take a mile.

The government is mulling legislation to allow business to make the decision for themselves whether or not to allow clients/customer/patrons in without vaccination.

Allowing business to make the choice...that's as capitalist as it gets and that's not an overreach if anything it's taking more out of the hands of government. 

Take a lap

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1