The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

I hate the cross-section of business with public policy.  

The mandatory 3 day quarantine even for fully vaccinated people coming back to Canada costs $1200!  Sounds like they're getting rid of the rule first for Americans, and then for other foreign nationals. 

According to data released by Pfizer, a second booster shot dramatically increases protection against the Delta variant:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/health/pfizer-third-dose-data-bn/index.html

A third dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine can “strongly” boost protection against the Delta variant – beyond the protection afforded by the standard two doses, suggests new data released by Pfizer on Wednesday.

The data posted online, which are expected to be discussed in a company earnings call on Wednesday morning, suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant in people ages 18 to 55 who receive a third dose of vaccine are greater than five-fold than following a second dose.

Among people ages 65 to 85, the Pfizer data suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant after receiving a third dose of vaccine are greater than 11-fold than following a second dose.

There’s “estimated potential for up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization post-dose three compared to pre-dose three,” researchers wrote in the Pfizer data slides.

The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published.

The data also show that antibody levels are much higher after a third dose than a second dose against the original coronavirus variant and the Beta variant, first identified in South Africa.

I know that I'd be more than happy to take a third shot, if it provides that much of an increase in protection from Delta....

• Like 1
21 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree it's the right move.  Bonnie might not though.  She seemed to think that schools were low-risk environments earlier this year and would not mandate masks in the classroom.

20 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The science at the time was pointing at masks in indoor settings being an important safety measure, and that proper ventilation as the sole safety measure could not be achieved in classroom settings to prevent transmission (not to mention that many classrooms don't have proper ventilation to begin with).  However, she explicitly chose to refuse to mandate masking in classroom settings.  Her decisions don't seem very scientific or based in common sense to me.

Let's be honest 6, Dr B's decision not to mandate masks in schools had NOTHING to do with science and EVERYTHING to do with appeasing parents.   She knew the s#$t storm that would ensue when administrators would be forced to discipline the 1000's of students/day from k-12 that either refused to or were unable to comply with the mandate. 

It was a discipline-based decision,  not a science based one sadly. 

• Vintage 2
8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Let's be honest 6, Dr B's decision not to mandate masks in schools had NOTHING to do with science and EVERYTHING to do with appeasing parents.   She knew the s#$t storm that would ensue when administrators would be forced to discipline the 1000's of students/day from k-12 that either refused to or were unable to comply with the mandate. 

It was a discipline-based decision,  not a science based one sadly. 

Then she should have come out and said that, instead of giving us the bull$&!# that her decisions were entirely science based.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Then she should have come out and said that, instead of giving us the bull$&!# that her decisions were entirely science based.

I agree she should've been more forthright,  but doing so would've thrown both administrators and struggling parents under the bus during an already difficult time.  She made a political move and most people I think saw through it for what it was. There was never going to be a solution that appeased all sides unfortunately. 

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I agree she should've been more forthright,  but doing so would've thrown both administrators and struggling parents under the bus during an already difficult time.  She made a political move and most people I think saw through it for what it was. There was never going to be a solution that appeased all sides unfortunately. 

Yes, except in a role where trust and integrity is an imperative, by trying to pull things fast and loose not only insults the intelligence of the people she's supposed to inform and serve, it strikes to the very heart of trust in the position (and in health expertise/science in general) and the integrity of the office.

Better to be forthright and expect flak than to pretend science is driving a political decision and being seen through for what it really is.

• Hydration 4
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

According to data released by Pfizer, a second booster shot dramatically increases protection against the Delta variant:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/health/pfizer-third-dose-data-bn/index.html

I know that I'd be more than happy to take a third shot, if it provides that much of an increase in protection from Delta....

From the article:

"The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published."

Not that I don't trust pharmaceutical companies but it is in Pfizer's coroporate interest to promote/sell as many of these shots as they can.  I think I'll wait until other authorities have had a chance to study the data.

And it if it is accurate, by all means let's go.

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

"The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published."

Not that I don't trust pharmaceutical companies but it is in Pfizer's coroporate interest to promote/sell as many of these shots as they can.  I think I'll wait until other authorities have had a chance to study the data.

And it if it is accurate, by all means let's go.

I don't disagree, but I'd rather roll the dice with another dose of a vaccine I've taken than the Delta variant.  I'll be taking my booster at soon as it's offered to me.

Edited by King Heffy
1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yes, except in a role where trust and integrity is an imperative, by trying to pull things fast and loose not only insults the intelligence of the people she's supposed to inform and serve, it strikes to the very heart of trust in the position (and in health expertise/science in general) and the integrity of the office.

Better to be forthright and expect flak than to pretend science is driving a political decision and being seen through for what it really is.

I don't disagree, but neither you nor I would be subjected to the ensuing flack,  and there would've likely been a LOT of it.  There were parents readying legal challenges to any mask mandates and even legal experts were saying they had legitimate cases - Horgan and Co. wanted nothing to do with that negative publicity.

As I said,  there was never going to be a 'please all' solution unfortunately.   But I agree,  typically honesty is the best policy  -  except for politicians sadly lol...

• Hydration 1
Just now, Fanuck said:

I don't disagree, but neither you nor I would be subjected to the ensuing flack,  and there would've likely been a LOT of it.  There were parents readying legal challenges to any mask mandates and even legal experts were saying they had legitimate cases - Horgan and Co. wanted nothing to do with that negative publicity.

As I said,  there was never going to be a 'please all' solution unfortunately.   But I agree,  typically honesty is the best policy  -  except for politicians sadly lol...

Comes with the paycheque - if she's not prepared to face the heat (or if the politicians aren't prepared to face the heat), they should gtfo of the kitchen blast furnace and let people who can take the heat do their jobs.  <_<

Two shots of Pfizer. But man, did the second shot do a number on me. I'm still feeling effects 5 days later. 

So if it helps with the Delta variant that's ok. 

(I was confused because the nurses desk said Moderna, but my card and email says Pfizer)

University is bringing everyone back middle of August and then going to implement some hybrid model a month later and the logic is lost as to the reason for this. There is no real gain or loss productivity wise; everyone is stuffed into smaller spaces with variants running rampant, etc. It costs everyone more time and money doing this. The university is justifying it as "other schools are doing it so we're doing it too" and "the building costs a lot to maintain especially when nobody is here."

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
6 minutes ago, Tortorella&#x27;s Rant said:

University is bringing everyone back middle of August and then going to implement some hybrid model a month later and the logic is lost as to the reason for this. There is no real gain or loss productivity wise; everyone is stuffed into smaller spaces with variants running rampant, etc. It costs everyone more time and money doing this. The university is justifying it as "other schools are doing it so we're doing it too" and "the building costs a lot to maintain especially when nobody is here."

Which university are you with?  UBC's AMS (student society) just lambasted the university administration for doing the bare minimum while returning to "normal".  Good on them for standing up for the students (and faculty members).

17 minutes ago, Tortorella&#x27;s Rant said:

The university is justifying it as "other schools are doing it so we're doing it too" and "the building costs a lot to maintain especially when nobody is here."

Seems legit in the realm of academia where every move is based on research and best practices.....oh, wait a second....

• Haha 2
52 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Which university are you with?  UBC's AMS (student society) just lambasted the university administration for doing the bare minimum while returning to "normal".  Good on them for standing up for the students (and faculty members).

So Pitt on Wednesday or no?

Beer gardens Friday? Those were the days.

B.C. declares COVID-19 outbreak in Central Okanagan, reimposes mask mandate

British Columbia is declaring a COVID-19 outbreak in the Central Okanagan after a rapid rise in cases in the region and is reimposing a local mask mandate, as well as other public health measures.

More than half of B.C.'s daily and active COVID-19 cases are concentrated in the area, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Wednesday during a teleconference.

"We are concerned in public health about the rapid increase in the Central Okanagan, particularly around the Kelowna area," said Henry, who was joined by Health Minister Adrian Dix and Dr. Sue Pollock, chief medical health officer for Interior Health.

Under the new health order, masks will be mandatory as of midnight in indoor public spaces and are being encouraged  outdoors when people cannot physically distance themselves.

Travel discouraged 

Travel to and from the region, which includes Kelowna, West Kelowna, Peachland and Lake Country, is also being strongly discouraged unless individuals are fully immunized.

"It's time to slow down and step back to protect our community," Pollock said at the teleconference.

She said the region will also be reducing the interval between first and second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to 28 days.

A return to normal for gatherings was announced on July 1 as part of Step 3 of the province's restart plan, but Pollock said it's recommended that people in the Okanagan avoid indoor gatherings in favour of outdoor.

She said the new cases in Interior Health since July 1 have primarily involved people who are 20 to 40 years old and those who are not fully vaccinated.

Henry said the spread of the delta variant in the area is especially concerning, but she believes the new measures will help flatten the spike in numbers.

"Because of the good work we have all done, I am confident that the measures that we are going to take will stop people from getting sick and will prevent ongoing transmission," she said.