The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This is hilarious.

You think it's funny that the idea of taking a preventative is taking care of yourself? Do you also wait until you are completely dehydrated before you drink water?

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

This type of reasoning pisses me off.  It assumes that this virus is no big deal.  All data and the thousands of deaths/hospitalizations say otherwise.

Fear mongering?

funny, funny stuff.

The whole anti-vax movement is based on fear.

"We don't know what's in the vax"

"They put parts of dead babies in the vax"

'The vax is killing and crippling untold numbers of people'

"What if the vax causes some weird disease, in the future"

" It's all a lie, told by governments and big pharma"

"The vax is worse than the disease"

"It's all about something else, not covid"

"The government is setting the table to take away our rights"

"They are coming for our guns"

Fear mongering indeed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, gurn said:

Fear mongering?

funny, funny stuff.

Fear mongering indeed.

And it will continue and the arguments will change as they have for the entire pandemic. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Fear mongering?

funny, funny stuff.

Fear mongering indeed.

You forgot, "the vax is a vehicle for chip implants by Bill Gates"....

Honestly G, you're better than this....<_<

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I should have remembered that one.

Hey why didn't I remember.?

Dammit is Gates already reprogramming me and my memory?

Fun fact- Bill Gates just got divorced, guy can't even control his home life, and the world should be worried about him ruling it, through chip power?

Edited by gurn
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My guess as well.....

the same thing happened when I called that other guy out on his claim of the vaccine crippling his friend. I asked if the friend lives in BC,because I just can't imagine someone having that kind of a reaction and there was zero news about it.

I did a google search and the only thing I could find that was similar, was a case in Tennessee....

Same thing with this guy. I just cannot imagine any Health Authority allowing one of it's employees to be unvaccinated and still work with sick people....

was that a real case or facebook? 

I'm sure there are people with unknown pre-existing conditions out there that has something occur after taking a vaccine, thats coincidental. You can't jab millions of people without some rare event like that happening. Its evidence of rarity, not bad vaccine science. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gurn said:

I should have remembered that one.

Hey why didn't I remember.?

Dammit is Gates already reprogramming me and my memory?

Fun fact- Bill Gates just got divorced, guy can't even control his home life, and the world should be worried about him ruling it, through chip power?

I saw a list of the world's richest 50 people the other day, and MacKenzie (Scott) Bezos was somewhere in the middle with around 57 billion......I imagine it's only a matter of time until Melinda is on that list as well....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sure there are people with unknown pre-existing conditions out there that has something occur after taking a vaccine, thats coincidental. You can't jab millions of people without some rare event like that happening. Its evidence of rarity, not bad vaccine science. 

Correlation is not automatically causation.

People forget this, all the time.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It's hard to know. Admittedly, I just skimmed the article, but it seemed like there was a fair amount of assuming that correlation equaled causation.....

....and we know how they feel about Covid vaccines in Tennessee....

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My cell signal and inability to make eye contact have never been better.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

yup, but even simple math comparing the case fatality rate for Covid and giving every single possible death associated to the vaccines put the vaccine death rate orders of magnitude safer than the virus.  It isn't even close.

Yup, and then I get called a spreadsheet nerd for looking at stats rather than believing random people.

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/delta-variant-will-lead-to-increase-in-breakthrough-covid-infections-among-vaccinated-moderna-says/ar-AAMY96e?ocid=msedgntp

• The highly contagious delta variant will lead to an increase in breakthrough infections among the fully vaccinated as people begin moving indoors, Moderna said.
  • While Moderna's two-dose vaccine remains "durable" six months after the second shot, immunity against the virus will continue to wane and eventually impact vaccine efficacy, it said.
  • "Given this intersection, we believe dose 3 booster will likely be necessary prior to the winter season," Moderna wrote.

Pause
Ad 00:19 - up next "Moderna CEO on its latest vaccine efficacy data"
Loaded: 0.00%

Unmute

Moderna CEO on its latest vaccine efficacy data

•  

The highly contagious delta variant will lead to an increase in breakthrough infections among the fully vaccinated as people begin moving indoors after the summer, Moderna said Thursday.

While Moderna's two-dose vaccine remains "durable" six months after the second shot, immunity against the coronavirus will continue to wane and eventually diminish vaccine efficacy, the company said in slides that accompanied its second-quarter earnings report.

The company said its vaccine is 93% effective six months after the second dose. By comparison, Pfizer and BioNTech said their vaccine efficacy declined to around 84% after six months.

"Given this intersection, we believe dose 3 booster will likely be necessary prior to the winter season," Moderna wrote.

The warning by Moderna comes as the delta variant continues to spread in more than 100 countries, including the United States. Delta, the dominant form of the disease in the U.S., is more transmissible than the common cold, the 1918 Spanish flu, smallpox, Ebola, MERS and SARS, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For some Americans, concerns about vaccine efficacy have intensified with the rise of the variant, which may cause more severe disease than the original coronavirus. Some people have gone as far as seeking out a supplemental dose, which is not yet recommended by the CDC. This week, San Francisco health officials said they are allowing patients who received Johnson & Johnson's vaccine to get a second shot produced by either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

Video: 'Much more explosive': Delta Covid variant strikes younger, healthier patients (MSNBC)

Play Video
'Much more explosive': Delta Covid variant strikes younger, healthier patients

•  

Drugmakers have said for months they expect people will eventually need booster shots and perhaps extra doses annually, just like for the seasonal flu.

Moderna said Thursday results from a phase two trial found a booster dose of its vaccine produced a "robust" antibody response against three variants, including delta.

The CDC and the World Health Organization say booster doses are not needed at this time, citing lack of data. In fact, the WHO on Wednesday called on wealthy nations to stop the distribution of Covid booster shots to give the world a chance to meet the WHO's goal of vaccinating 10% of the population of every country by October.

"We need an urgent reversal from the majority of vaccines going to high-income countries, to the majority going to low income countries," WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

The move comes after Israel announced the country would give booster doses to its elderly population. The Dominican Republic has also been administering booster doses to its population, while neighboring country Haiti only recently secured its first batch of vaccine doses.

People in the U.S. are also finding ways to secure booster shots.

–CNBC's Rich Mendez contributed to this report.

•  

?puid=044FFD4BEFB7657325CEF3BFEE046401Edit, sorry for a lousy cut and paste, think my keyboard needs cleaning.

Edited by gurn

15 hours ago, Logitek said:

Correct. I asked if you are confident the vaccines aren’t causing the increasingly virulent strains we are seeing and then posted a peer reviewed and 100% accepted fact that the Mareks vaccine did the same thing. 

Reading comprehension must not be your strongest suit. 

I never said unvaccinated aren’t at risk. I effectively said are you certain the vaccines are not making this problem worse by creating the more virulent strains, in different words. 

Debunked.

No, COVID-19 Vaccines Do Not Cause New Coronavirus Variants (healthline.com)

Quoting peer reviewed studies that are not relevant to the virus we are dealing with is irresponsible and fueling the anti vax cause.  

Please get vaccinated and do your part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

Uh oh Drummer, bad news. But you know, democracy and whatnot. As for the other guy advocating for people who are scared of the virus to stay home, you might want to read the last sentence. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-poll-shows-majority-of-canadians-support-barring-unvaccinated-from/

An overwhelming majority of Canadians want people who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 banned from gatherings in public places, a new poll has found – proof of this country’s solidarity in limiting the rights of those who refuse to be inoculated.

Unlike the United States, where attitudes to vaccination cleave along political and geographic lines, Canadians are virtually united in their message to the vaccine hesitant or skeptical: Stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Too bad some people don't know their history and science.  Public health initiatives work, but they only work if you are willing to go all in.

https://www.pnas.org/content/104/18/7582?fbclid=IwAR2eM-8P8U7jGT1-iDDOB2aWx-b3e26qBZsgLhMUVYPAoopOFu3_dR5-oLw

Public health interventions and epidemic intensity during the 1918 influenza pandemic

Abstract

Nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) intended to reduce infectious contacts between persons form an integral part of plans to mitigate the impact of the next influenza pandemic. Although the potential benefits of NPIs are supported by mathematical models, the historical evidence for the impact of such interventions in past pandemics has not been systematically examined. We obtained data on the timing of 19 classes of NPI in 17 U.S. cities during the 1918 pandemic and tested the hypothesis that early implementation of multiple interventions was associated with reduced disease transmission. Consistent with this hypothesis, cities in which multiple interventions were implemented at an early phase of the epidemic had peak death rates ≈50% lower than those that did not and had less-steep epidemic curves. Cities in which multiple interventions were implemented at an early phase of the epidemic also showed a trend toward lower cumulative excess mortality, but the difference was smaller (≈20%) and less statistically significant than that for peak death rates. This finding was not unexpected, given that few cities maintained NPIs longer than 6 weeks in 1918. Early implementation of certain interventions, including closure of schools, churches, and theaters, was associated with lower peak death rates, but no single intervention showed an association with improved aggregate outcomes for the 1918 phase of the pandemic. These findings support the hypothesis that rapid implementation of multiple NPIs can significantly reduce influenza transmission, but that viral spread will be renewed upon relaxation of such measures.

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm wondering if these variants/mutations will just keep coming and they'll become less deadly (hopefully... maybe with the vaccines help) then we'll just have to decide over time when we'll move back to normal.

Obviously I could be completely wrong, but it doesn't feel like there's an end in sight as more variants are being discovered.

That'd be my guess.  The virus mutates to survive, if it mutates to become extremely lethal to the host (us) it will have fewer and fewer people to go to.  Pretty sure the Spanish Flu mutated itself to not effecting humans, ending the pandemic.

• Cheers 1