The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

3 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

The brains of some people in this thread:

Reap the privileges of

• living in a 1st world, western democracy
  • ease of access to vaccines when others are begging to get shots
  • free healthcare in a public health system that doesn't collapse on itself during a pandemic

but complains about government overreach and "big pharma"

• when told to put on a mask for the collective safety of others
  • when told to show proof of vaccination when entering public spaces that are susceptible to outbreaks
  • when failing to realize that we live in a capitalist society which requires private firms to make a profit in order to be incentivized to innovate and find solutions and would also probably complain just as much if vaccines were govt made, and thus, can't come up with any other solutions
  • wild assumption: probably also complains about paying taxes and demands freedom and liberty 24/7, but doesn't understand basic western political philosophy whereby everyone in Canada is subject to a democratically elected government which, by nature, has power over everyone within a foundation of legal principles and rules. 

You dismantled the misguided anti-vax, anti-gov, anti-mask, anti-logic argument with surgical precision. Well done.

• Hydration 2
18 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

The brains of some people in this thread:

Reap the privileges of

• living in a 1st world, western democracy
  • ease of access to vaccines when others are begging to get shots
  • free healthcare in a public health system that doesn't collapse on itself during a pandemic

but complains about government overreach and "big pharma"

• when told to put on a mask for the collective safety of others
  • when told to show proof of vaccination when entering public spaces that are susceptible to outbreaks
  • when failing to realize that we live in a capitalist society which requires private firms to make a profit in order to be incentivized to innovate and find solutions and would also probably complain just as much if vaccines were govt made, and thus, can't come up with any other solutions
  • wild assumption: probably also complains about paying taxes and demands freedom and liberty 24/7, but doesn't understand basic western political philosophy whereby everyone in Canada is subject to a democratically elected government which, by nature, has power over everyone within a foundation of legal principles and rules. 

None of these people have any solution or strategy for dealing with it beyond "we just have to live with it".  Well living with it is what we've been doing and it requires a strategy and solutions to issues that arise around the virus.  I'm not sure who they expect to solve these problems, if not government.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Except for a few select examples such as hospital workers, mandated vaccines aren't going to become a thing so all of those wishing it were can cry their Pfizer tears. 

We can’t force them to get a jab.  We can prohibit them non essential activities if not vaccinated.  We can also impose further COVID protocols for the unvaccinated.  And no, it isn’t a god given right to attend a hockey game at Rogers.

• Vintage 1
6 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

We can’t force them to get a jab.  We can prohibit them non essential activities if not vaccinated.  We can also impose further COVID protocols for the unvaccinated.  And no, it isn’t a god given right to attend a hockey game at Rogers.

Which won't happen here either. And it's discrimination. Vaccinated people still carry and pass the disease all the same as an unvaccinated person; it's happening all the time. What about children? Those under the age of 9 have roughly a 0.0016% chance of contracting it. What about those who can't get it for health reasons? Religious reasons. You're approving the government to open a can of worms when they can seldom do anything properly.  Then permitting this also brings the question of bodily autonomy into the picture as a whole.

For the record I am not "anti-vaxx" so if someone wants to peddle that horse$&!# - please don't. I simply don't approve of this concept of forcing people to do it, restricting them, whatever.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Which won't happen here either. And it's discrimination. Vaccinated people still carry and pass the disease all the same as an unvaccinated person; it's happening all the time. What about children? Those under the age of 9 have roughly a 0.0016% chance of contracting it. What about those who can't get it for health reasons? Religious reasons. You're approving the government to open a can of worms when they can seldom do anything properly.  Then permitting this also brings the question of bodily autonomy into the picture as a whole.

For the record I am not "anti-vaxx" so if someone wants to peddle that horse$&!# - please don't. I simply don't approve of this concept of forcing people to do it, restricting them, whatever.

We had three kids under nine contract it at my school, all from the same family.  And that wasn't Delta

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

who isn't seeking to make money? do you work for free? 

The things you will do to get upvotes… 

No I don’t work for free because I don’t have too; but at the same you don’t see me profiting off people’s deaths or misery like big pharma traditionally does.

Your notion these companies deserve the profits they get is almost as delusional as anyone who thinks mixing vaccines is good or getting more than the recommended two doses of vaccine. 

Less is more not the other way around same goes with profits of mega greedy pharmaceutical corporations who serve the interests of themselves before everyone else. 

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Which won't happen here either. And it's discrimination. Vaccinated people still carry and pass the disease all the same as an unvaccinated person; it's happening all the time. What about children? Those under the age of 9 have roughly a 0.0016% chance of contracting it. What about those who can't get it for health reasons? Religious reasons. You're approving the government to open a can of worms when they can seldom do anything properly.  

Children and those with underlying conditions preventing them from getting vaccinated will be given exemptions.  Its true that Vaccinated people can get infected and pass it on but the chances are much much lower.  Again, I see no way out of this other than with Vaccines.  It was like that with Polio, Smallpox, Measles, etc...  The sooner people realize this the sooner we can get our lives back to some semblance of what they were before.  I haven't heard any viable solutions put forth by any Anti vaxxer.  They just like to complain about their freedoms being taken away.  Think the government is after them.  Its so GD frustrating to me because we have all the tools to end this and there are forces that are preventing this from happening.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

No I don’t work for free because I don’t have too; but at the same you don’t see me profiting off people’s deaths or misery like big pharma traditionally does.

Your notion these companies deserve the profits they get is almost as delusional as anyone who thinks mixing vaccines is good or getting more than the recommended two doses of vaccine. 

Less is more not the other way around same goes with profits of mega greedy pharmaceutical corporations who serve the interests of themselves before everyone else. 

Sigh, I guess that if you were ever unfortunate enough to get into an accident that comes with a lot of Pain, will you refuse to take any painkillers?  if you don't refuse, would that make you a hypocrite because you would then be supporting Big Pharma?  

25 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Except for a few select examples such as hospital workers, mandated vaccines aren't going to become a thing so all of those wishing it were can cry their Pfizer tears. 

Yes, the butthurt is strong in this one - Yoda Sense | Meme Generator

• Haha 1

Good move. Though I'm not sure how the new pass will work for out of state and foreign tourists. 

We already have a state pass called Excelsior, used by some venues like Rangers, Islanders game. 

Screenshot_20210803-223932.png

30 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Vaccinated people still carry and pass the disease all the same as an unvaccinated person;

CAn you provide a link to to confirm that vaccinate people pass the disease "all the same as an unvacinated person".

Afaik transmission is possible but less likely.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Sigh, I guess that if you were ever unfortunate enough to get into an accident that comes with a lot of Pain, will you refuse to take any painkillers?  if you don't refuse, would that make you a hypocrite because you would then be supporting Big Pharma?  

I don’t understand where these strange analogies are coming from you and Jimmy almost defies common sense? 

Yes I would take blood pressure medication if I had too; yes I would take painkillers; yes I will take a second dose of the vaccine..  

Your point? I am not saying big pharma can’t earn money like the rest of us, but rather in a safe and ethical manner.  

Would I be a hypocrite to accept treatment your call? 

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

CAn you provide a link to to confirm that vaccinate people pass the disease "all the same as an unvacinated person".

Afaik transmission is possible but less likely.

There's a campaign to fear monger over variants and the vaccines Canada use are "not working." The reality is it completely broke records and expectations in how well it fended off COVID-19. The numbers show if you test a lot in a vaccinated population, the disease can be quietly moving across the collective biomass but doing absolutely no damage to the people because their bodies are fighting it off well, and eventually the breakthrough case be it normal COVID or the variant will infect someone who isn't vaccinated and make them ill, or someone who is vaccinated but their health is compromised. There isn't enough proof to say the vaccines reduce the spread of variants because there isn't enough data on the variants, but there is enough to say that it negates the immediate threats of infection (long term damage from a serious illness or death) in a good number of cases for these variants.

Pfizer is pushing for boosters for money and leaning into this fear mongering, because they didn't expect the vaccine to work this well, and want more money to make back R&D because their revenue projections were way off.

46 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

While I don’t deny big pharma is profiting from the vaccines now, their future is bright as MRNA technology is already  moving to treatments for other genetic and infectious diseases. People with these diseases will be eager and grateful for MRNA treatments unlike those who are not yet directly affected by Covid. For some it will be too late.

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Yes but for how long? Like forever? 
The virus isn’t going away anytime soon nor are the unvaccinated getting the vaccine. 

What is the point of voluntary vaccination if you’re going to essentially handcuff people into getting one? You don’t even see this stuff happen in dictatorships. 

I would only support this tactic in covid hot spots like Florida or Texas not somewhere like BC that has low cases. 

56 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

The virus isn’t going away anytime soon nor are the unvaccinated getting the vaccine. 

What is the point of voluntary vaccination if you’re going to essentially handcuff people into getting one? You don’t even see this stuff happen in dictatorships. 

I would only support this tactic in covid hot spots like Florida or Texas not somewhere like BC that has low cases. 

You do realize HOW places get to be hotspots, right?

Once they are, you're way behind.  So it makes sense to nip things in the bud to PREVENT this from becoming a hot spot.  To be proactive rather than wait and address a serious situation.

Also...hypertension is detected and monitored using a cuff, not blood work.  Your blood work can be perfect but that doesn't mean you don't have hypertension.

People can choose whether or not to be vaccinated...they just can't choose where they enter, etc. if they decline.  No shirt no shoes no service.  No vaccine is now to be added to that.  

The point of voluntary vaccination is you can decide on that aspect of things.  But that doesn't mean you get unlimited access to places where you could pose a risk to others.  

• Hydration 2
38 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

If an area is already considered a "hot spot" it's too late - people are already getting admitted to hospitals and ICUs. Public health measures are always more effective when they are implemented proactively, not reactively.  Unfortunately, throughout this pandemic, a lot of people don't seem to be able to get a grasp of the situation until they see hospitals at max capacity and healthcare professionals pushed to the brink of being completely overwhelmed.

And please, for the love of god, cut the crap with the dictatorship comparisons. You don't need to politicize a public health crisis. Follow the science, not the "what ifs" and slippery slope fallacies. 

• Hydration 2