Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


Recommended Posts

 

All this talk about vaccine mandates.  Moderna is still submitting data so full approval will be later.  J&J plans to apply later this year.  Once vaccines are fully approved, vaccine mandates in the US will ramp up.

 

Tick Tock anti-vaxxers

 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-approval.html?referringSource=articleShare

F.D.A. Aims to Give Final Approval to Pfizer Vaccine by Early Next Month

The Food and Drug Administration’s move is expected to kick off more vaccination mandates for hospital workers, college students and federal troops.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

 

All this talk about vaccine mandates.  Moderna is still submitting data so full approval will be later.  J&J plans to apply later this year.  Once vaccines are fully approved, vaccine mandates in the US will ramp up.

 

Tick Tock anti-vaxxers

 

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/us/politics/pfizer-vaccine-approval.html?referringSource=articleShare

F.D.A. Aims to Give Final Approval to Pfizer Vaccine by Early Next Month

The Food and Drug Administration’s move is expected to kick off more vaccination mandates for hospital workers, college students and federal troops.

NYC starting vaccine passports in September.  Hoping this spreads up here. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/3/new-york-city-announces-vaccine-mandate-for-indoor-activities

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drummer4now said:

This like comparing apples and oranges.. they are both fruits but so different in colour,taste, etc..
 

No one is disputing drinking and driving as being bad and a known killer of people with the chance of fatality going up with every increase of blood alcohol level. 
 

But with this virus and vaccine there many factors to how one could contract it/spread it. 
 

Your notion that only a unvaccinated person might spread COVID 19 and kill someone is incorrect as a vaccinated person could also unknowingly do so. 
 

Part of my argument in this particular matter is there should be no consequences for being unvaccinated when the law clearly states it is voluntary to get one. Is it a issue of ethics? certainly but I am just going by what the rules and regulation state. Just like the law says don’t drink and drive period;  I checked everywhere and it doesn’t say no vaccine means you’re not welcomed… nor does it say unvaccinated = killer.  
 

People should not be excluded or handcuffed nor should  society be divided up in a two tier system. 
From seeing the response by the federal government and certain provincial ones this seems to be the case. 
 

The private sector has the right to make their own decision, but they should weigh both sides before making a decision…

Just like how when you're drinking and driving and you're more likely to get into an accident; when you are unvaccinated you are more likely to contract the virus and spread it. 

 

You can live your life as is if you choose to be unvaccinated, but be prepared to deal with inconveniences to your life. We're not taking about denying unvaccinated people healthcare or rights to other public goods, but when it comes to more discretionary activities such as going out to restaurants or clubs, you could be questioned at the very least. 

 

As for your last point, the private sector should of course weigh both sides before making a decision...and then they can come to the decision that they want their customers to be vaccinated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For some time various fields in Canada required testing for things like TB in order to get hired.  Others required vaccinations (military members get all kinds of shots).  In a number of healthcare fields, it was get a flu shot or wear masks/work in a different unit during flu season.  Healthcare restrictions were a thing prior to this pandemic.  If you think restrictions are not coming, you are living in la la land.  I could easily see the choice being get vaccinated or you will wear a mask/work in a different capacity/regular covid test that you may need to pay for. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

If enough people get vaccinated, the R factor of the virus will be below 1 which will give a chance for the virus to slowly peter out.  Vaccines are there to slow the spread as they make it less likely for someone to get infected or spread it.  Slowing the spread will also prevent more virulent strains from forming.  Vaccines also protect you from serious complications if you do get infected.  You don't just "target" hotspots where infections are high because by that time its already too late.  If we had 95% vaccination rates here, then we wouldn't need these measures.  But major parts of the US are still under 50% which won't cut it.

 

Yes you may be right that the virus won't go away anytime soon but that's because of anti vaxxers and covid deniers that keep this virus circulating not because we don't have the tools to get rid of it.

 

mememe_f349ae95245cd9920b3de8a9663d3a16-1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

If enough people get vaccinated, the R factor of the virus will be below 1 which will give a chance for the virus to slowly peter out.  Vaccines are there to slow the spread as they make it less likely for someone to get infected or spread it.  Slowing the spread will also prevent more virulent strains from forming.  Vaccines also protect you from serious complications if you do get infected.  You don't just "target" hotspots where infections are high because by that time its already too late.  If we had 95% vaccination rates here, then we wouldn't need these measures.  But major parts of the US are still under 50% which won't cut it.

 

Yes you may be right that the virus won't go away anytime soon but that's because of anti vaxxers and covid deniers that keep this virus circulating not because we don't have the tools to get rid of it.

Precisely.

 

Re-posting the article below to reinforce the point above.

 

Quote

 

96% of COVID-19 cases are among those not fully vaccinated, B.C. health officials say

“If you take all the cases from June 15 to July 15, 78 per cent of those cases are among those who are unvaccinated,” Adrian Dix said.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/8056167/new-covid-cases-not-fully-vaccinated/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Precisely.

 

Re-posting the article below to reinforce the point above.

 

 

I'll repost the charts that came with that announcement.  The only fully vaccinated cases were on the elderly side of the scale.

E7UheXtVEAQgfX_.png

  • Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drummer4now said:

 

I can assure you my blood work and blood pressure is fine :) not that I don’t know why three posters have mentioned medication and supporting big pharma.
 

Well thankfully no member on CDC is in charge of public health measures… Strip one right for another? Favour one person over the other? What is this a two tier society… 

In eyes of human rights we are equal. 

 

I hope that none of this will be implanted in BC at least on a mass scale maybe some private sectors but not to the degree of NYC. 
 

It is nice that provinces have the final decision on vaccine passports not federal government… 

 

This idea has already been shutdown in Ontario and Alberta and hopefully in BC. 
 

This public health crisis should politicalized as we have seen some poor and excellent decisions.

Just curious: Exactly which "right" is being stripped here?

 

Granted, I only skimmed the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but I didn't see anything that would preclude the implementation of public health mandates, including masks....

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, drummer4now said:

 

I can assure you my blood work and blood pressure is fine :)

 

My comment was directed at how you concluded that....that the blood work indicated it, which isn't how it's measured.

 

And rights only extend so far in this world.  Your rights AND my rights have to be considered and you have the right to not vaccinate against a highly contagious virus but you don't have the right to spread it to others (like me and my family).

You have a right to smoke....you just can't spread your second hand smoke to me.

You have a right to get hammered...you just can't drive drunk in the wrong lane head on at me.

You have a right to eat peanut butter....just not in a classroom where a child has a severe nut allergy.

You have a right to wear horrible cologne...just not in a highly sensitive critical care unit.

 

Etc.

 

So rights only extend so far and they do have limitations and boundaries.  Go outside your home into public and others' rights also come into play.

In the US, the right to bear arms doesn't mean you can go shoot at things wherever you want.  If  you're endangering others, your rights will likely be challenged.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gurn said:

CAn you provide a link to to confirm that vaccinate people pass the disease "all the same as an unvacinated person".

Afaik transmission is possible but less likely.

They pass it the same in that they do interacting with people doing all the same activities unvaccinated people do. It's less likely but it still obviously happens, which is what I meant. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

They pass it the same in that they do interacting with people doing all the same activities unvaccinated people do. It's less likely but it still obviously happens, which is what I meant. 

So it is less likely.

Confirmed.

Thanks

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, Whorvat said:

Ah yes, they're the ones being manipulated.

 

Disgusting overreach of power by governments. Give an inch, take a mile.

The government is mulling legislation to allow business to make the decision for themselves whether or not to allow clients/customer/patrons in without vaccination.

 

Allowing business to make the choice...that's as capitalist as it gets and that's not an overreach if anything it's taking more out of the hands of government. 

 

Take a lap

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Not really. I'm not the one getting upset about others exercising their right to what they do with their own body

Mischaracterization, most don't ultimately care what you do with your body. They just want your unvaccinated body kept the hell away from theirs, and their friends and loved ones.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Whorvat said:

 

When someone has to say they will be open minded about something :lol:

 

The answer certainly isn't mass-vaccination with the least studied 'vaccine' in our existence. This is the largest clinical trial of human history.

 

We live in a society where the government says to jump, and 75% ask how high? Since when does the government, who is deeply, deeply rooted in big pharma, have our individual best interests in mind?

 

I'd hope people would read up on history, as its headed to repeat itself

You were given a very clear very simple chance to discuss your view on how to fix it without vaccine and instead resorted to this.

 

Well done.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Whorvat said:

 

When someone has to say they will be open minded about something :lol:

 

The answer certainly isn't mass-vaccination with the least studied 'vaccine' in our existence. This is the largest clinical trial of human history.

 

We live in a society where the government says to jump, and 75% ask how high? Since when does the government, who is deeply, deeply rooted in big pharma, have our individual best interests in mind?

 

I'd hope people would read up on history, as its headed to repeat itself

crickets GIF

  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, drummer4now said:

 

I can assure you my blood work and blood pressure is fine :) not that I don’t know why three posters have mentioned medication and supporting big pharma.
 

Well thankfully no member on CDC is in charge of public health measures… Strip one right for another? Favour one person over the other? What is this a two tier society… 

In eyes of human rights we are equal. 

Why is your blood pressure such a statement of success for you?  This is maybe the third or fourth time you've repeated this in 2 pages so...good for you?

 

As for your 2 rights one wrong theory.

 

I own guns, but I cannot bring them in to a business if I want to.  Why?  

 

Why don't you look it up and tell me why and then tell me which of my rights is somehow being infringed upon thus creating some sort of two tier society.  As a gun owner I have rights, why aren't THEY being defended?  Seems like a two tier society here or something

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...