The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While the “evil Chinese” sent over medical experts / healthcare workers to Italy to help them deal with their problems.

There is wanting to act in your country’s best interests and then there’s HORRIBLE optics.  But Urine Man’s voters will still support him.  

I feel horrible for the American people. His actions do not speak of someone who has a plan.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

Doesn't like my add blocker :s.  Might be true - seems like the type of thing Donald's often accused of trying - that being said I find it concerning how many people jumped on board without a source or link off the top.  

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

No way, man. It's a way to try and probe a little more info out of the dude. It's perfectly reasonable to ask why in a situation such as this, even if the answer isn't one you want to hear.

Except he's a master at not giving info and sticking to a script and he did that the entire time he was asked the same question. 

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People complaining the government hasn't closed borders

Government closes borders.

People complaining not enough has been done now or that they want more or more sooner 

You literally cannot make anyone happy can you?

screenshot_2018-08-21_21_04_13.jpg.019f7ba9baf252b60fc9593943cfc140.jpg"Tell me about it."

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So BC is stepping up further.  Gatherings of 50 or more are now banned (rather than 250).  Also sounds like there will be an announcement of some sort regarding school closures tomorrow. 

What about restaurants and cafes? 

I think a full on shut down will happen. Just a matter of weeks. 

And in other news

https://www.biospace.com/article/moderna-s-covid-19-vaccine-clinical-trial-starts-today/

Inside the U.S., the first clinical trial for a vaccine to the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 began today. It is mRNA-1273, developed by Moderna with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID). The product was shipped to NIAID on February 25.

mRNA-1273 is a mRNA vaccine that encodes for a prefusion stabilized form of the Spike (S) protein. It was chosen by Moderna researchers in collaboration with scientists at the NIAID Vaccine Research Center (VRC). Funding for the manufacture of the batch came from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

The trial is being conducted at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle. The first patient was dosed today. The trial will include 45 young, healthy volunteers who will receive different doses of the vaccine. Because the vaccine does not contain the actual virus, there is no possibility the participants will become infected from the vaccine. The goal of the test is to evaluate any safety issues and determine the appropriate dose to stimulate an effective immune response.

A number of other companies and institutions around the world are also working to develop a vaccine against the virus, including Inovio Pharmaceuticals, which expects to begin its trial at the University of Pennsylvania and at a testing center in Kansas City, Missouri next month.

White House recommends avoiding gatherings of more than 10 people

Mon 16 Mar 2020 19:23:28 GMT

White House on the virus

• Issues 15-dauy nationwide guidelines
  • Says states with evidence of community transmission should close bars, restaurants, food courts, guys and other indoor and outdoor venues where people congregate
This sends a strong social distancing message but these are voluntary guidelines. States have constitutional powers regarding quarantines and public health.

Trump:
  • With several weeks of coordinated action we can turn the corner
  • Our government is prepared to do whatever it takes
  • Worst of outbreak could be over by July or August or later
  • Considering a national quarantine or curfew
  • US "may be" heading into a recession, we're not thinking in terms of that
  • The virus isn't under control anywhere
  • I think you're going to see a tremendous surge in the economy
  • We haven't really determined a national curfew but we have not decided to do it
  • US will back the airlines 100%, we're going to be backstoppping them
  •  
US case nearly doubled today, according to the CDC.

This comment hit the market:

Question:

When will US coronavirus cases and deaths turn a corner?
Pres. Trump: ""People are talking about July, August, something like that... Someday soon, hopefully this will end."

Nice to see he's changed his tune.
Edited by nuckin_futz

46 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

It complaining about how they are still allowing american in even though they have no clue on how to handle the virus. Why cant they just say trucks, trains, planes, transporting food, supplies are allowed in but everybody else cant come in, It such a simple solution. Those clowns today had no clue on how to answer questions today ,saying we are allowing american in because have to self isolate for 14 days. Do they really believe american are going to do that.

Hell no!  So many americans I read on twitter believe this is a democrate virus trying to take down trump.  Their thinking is so ass backwards for some of them down there.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Hell no!  So many americans I read on twitter believe this is a democrate virus trying to take down trump.  Their thinking is so ass backwards for some of them down there.

The republican mindset is that of a small world mindset. "It's not happening to anyone I know, so it can't happen to me"

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

Because twitter is a great starting place for getting an accurate picture of how a group of people are thinking.... 

5 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

The republican mindset is that of a small world mindset. "It's not happening to anyone I know, so it can't happen to me"

This is just caricature.... it does exist but it's the extreme case.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Maybe a lot of them should get sick. I'm tired of stupid people..

There would be a lot of people on both sides of the political spectrum getting sick if we were hoping the virus could target stupid people... dare I say in certain cases I might even be one of them.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Maybe a lot of them should get sick. I'm tired of stupid people..

I don't want to see anyone get sick and be effected but comeon, not everything is the Dems trying to take down Trump.  The conspiracies that come out of there is hilarious and oh so sad at times.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

White House recommends avoiding gatherings of more than 10 people

Mon 16 Mar 2020 19:23:28 GMT

White House on the virus

• Issues 15-dauy nationwide guidelines
  • Says states with evidence of community transmission should close bars, restaurants, food courts, guys and other indoor and outdoor venues where people congregate
This sends a strong social distancing message but these are voluntary guidelines. States have constitutional powers regarding quarantines and public health.

Trump:
  • With several weeks of coordinated action we can turn the corner
  • Our government is prepared to do whatever it takes
  • Worst of outbreak could be over by July or August or later
  • Considering a national quarantine or curfew
  • US "may be" heading into a recession, we're not thinking in terms of that
  • The virus isn't under control anywhere
  • I think you're going to see a tremendous surge in the economy
  • We haven't really determined a national curfew but we have not decided to do it
  • US will back the airlines 100%, we're going to be backstoppping them
  •  
US case nearly doubled today, according to the CDC.

This comment hit the market:

Question:

When will US coronavirus cases and deaths turn a corner?
Pres. Trump: ""People are talking about July, August, something like that... Someday soon, hopefully this will end."

Nice to see he's changed his tune.

What we need for feds is to release the army Corp of engineers to build temp hospitals and increase capacity. He is not doing it. 

States like NY have to find ways to do it. Our system can't handle the wave that is coming. Probably by end of the month we will be like Italy. 

Guys back home, do your effin part. Stay home as much as you can, don't help spread the virus. Majority will do OK even infected, but to save lives you just need to slow the spread.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

It complaining about how they are still allowing american in even though they have no clue on how to handle the virus. Why cant they just say trucks, trains, planes, transporting food, supplies are allowed in but everybody else cant come in, It such a simple solution. Those clowns today had no clue on how to answer questions today ,saying we are allowing american in because have to self isolate for 14 days. Do they really believe american are going to do that.

58 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

nothing wrong, with that. The clown messed up big time by allowing american in

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Because they haven't closed the borders. The US is still allowed in. US, a nation extremely slow and questionable in handling of the situation still has free reign to come into Canada. That's not a legitimate concern?

And of course people want things done sooner. Each day sooner exponentially helps eradicate the problem.

Because listening to the medical experts who have flat out.  Unequivocally.  Without question stated that full border closures do nothing

Is wrong.

But of course comments sections from emotionally charged people on line know better?

Let that sink in.

• Upvote 2