The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

45 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

That was the initial plan. They seem to be backtracking after a fair bit of criticism and now they're asking people to avoid shops and restaurants and work from home if possible. 

I'm now working from home for the foreseeable. At least I have that luxury. 

I saw that minor backtracking.  

But between the loss of nurses and Drs due to brexit back to EU nations.  Plus the cuts to nhs

Is it just a token statement?

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Further to that, they've been doing exactly as the experts have been advising, but that's an inconvenient truth to those looking for a reason to bash a politician.

Ain't that some truth.

From day 1 governments have listened to experts.  But we should ignore them because "reasons"

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought JT just closed the borders?

Closed world access outside of Canada and the US.  Restricted travel to private and business class citizens.  Only travel is now through Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal.

But that's apparently not enough....some people want to ignore the experts and do more.  But meh.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Because listening to the medical experts who have flat out.  Unequivocally.  Without question stated that full border closures do nothing

Is wrong.

But of course comments sections from emotionally charged people on line know better?

Let that sink in.

Legit asking: If full border closings do nothing, what's the point of a partial close?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Legit asking: If full border closings do nothing, what's the point of a partial close?

Think about how many goods are shipped or trucked to Canada from the US every single day. 

Just now, Pickly said:

Think about how many goods are shipped or trucked to Canada from the US every single day. 

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am 100% on board leaving the border open for commercial travel, but today's presser mentioned US tourists/travellers are still allowed entry. The latter is what a lot of people are worried about.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I meant US tourist/traveller traffic which is still allowed. I didn't clarify that I, along with most people, are okay with commercial travel from the US.

Why not close off borders to non-essential US travellers/tourists 

12 minutes ago, Pickly said:

It's open to any American. 

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I'm having a lot of trouble navigating this.

Washington state is the hotbed of coronavirus activity in the US. Yet, a Washingtonian can easily come up here to visit family/friends. Meanwhile, we made sure no traveller from Namibia, a nation with no confirmed cases, can enter the country.

I don't see the point in a partial border closing if we keep it open for people from one of the highest risk areas to British Columbians.

They don't want to aggravate the Americans. 

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If Petey and Marky went home to Sweden, they can’t re-enter the country. The season is basically over. :(

I'm going to guess all teams told all their players to stay in town as it is uncertain when they would return. I saw Petey post an IG story the other day and he was in Vancouver.