The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

But, hey, it's sure great to have fans back in the stadiums again, right? How many times during Friday night's game in Regina did I hear that? Barely a mask in sight, and all that hoopin' and a hollerin', eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaawwwwwwwwww!

So stupid of Sask and Alberta to allow fans in without proof of vaccination, the only precautions those stadiums took was extra hand sanitizer available and more consistent cleaning of the restrooms what a joke

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

Over here it’s proof of two vaccines and/or a negative test from a list of specific providers within 48 hours of the event. 

while it isn’t foolproof it seems on the whole to not being causing super spreader events like the Liverpool athletic match or Cheltenham fesrival

wirh 240,000 spectators during the start of the pandemic as evidenced by the 140k who were at silverstone in July. 

im of the view that COVID passports shouldn’t become the norm but not because I’m anti vax. It often can be treated as a binary thing either you have been vaccinated or not, however there will be people who cannot who will be locked out of society, so it discriminates against a group who already suffer discrimination, it likely will impact pregnant mothers or new parents who haven’t been vaccinated yet. 

also not sure if Canada roll out but in the UK the youngest groups were the last to be vaccinated meaning that while the are able to go and work in the venues and serve in the venues and events they are not allowed to attend them as spectators as they won’t have had the two doses as of yet.

I think if you go down the COVID passport route it needs to be clear and sensible with alternate means of gaining entry ie proof of negative test from set suppliers paid for by the individual, or some level of state provided exception notification. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I expect the cases to continue to rise after the last long weekend.

This weekend was our "mini peach fest" here in Penticton, which also had the carnival in town for 12 days.  This was on the heels of the major restrictions in Kelowna.  My gym had a flood of phone calls from visitors asking if they could do day rate drop ins from kelowna because they were visiting and didn't want to wear a mask.  A friend who manages the Earls in kelowna was informed that deu to the 6 person to table mandate that any larger tables could/should be pushed to Penticton.  All of our bars are/were open as well.  

NO, none, count em ZERO restrictions.  In 7-10 days we will see our cases here in the Southern Okanagan spike and sky rocket leading to more lockdowns here as well as was in the central okanagan.  While our politicians chide us on not doing better, without ever taking ownership for not keeping restrictions up or looking at Alberta as the major source of new transmissions/carriers.

What the entire nation should have done is looked at Alberta as a litmus test.  10 days post stampede Alberta saw cases jump dramatically.  That should have been the sign that it wasn't time to re-open.  Instead, as always happens.  Stampede week ended and Calgary et al(berta) flooded the Okanagan along with many people from Saskatchewan and as of today Washington and Oregonian tourists.  

With cases spiking here and the southern okanagan being the new place to be due to kelowna and vernon being shut down; these people will bring these cases here; they will then travel home with them and we will start all over and back to restrictive living we go for the Autumn.  There is little to no desire to shut it down before the long weekend because businesses need this influx of people and cash.  Who cares what happens after am I right?

But hey; some people made good money in the air bnb industry right?

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This weekend was our "mini peach fest" here in Penticton, which also had the carnival in town for 12 days.  This was on the heels of the major restrictions in Kelowna.  My gym had a flood of phone calls from visitors asking if they could do day rate drop ins from kelowna because they were visiting and didn't want to wear a mask.  A friend who manages the Earls in kelowna was informed that deu to the 6 person to table mandate that any larger tables could/should be pushed to Penticton.  All of our bars are/were open as well.  

NO, none, count em ZERO restrictions.  In 7-10 days we will see our cases here in the Southern Okanagan spike and sky rocket leading to more lockdowns here as well as was in the central okanagan.  While our politicians chide us on not doing better, without ever taking ownership for not keeping restrictions up or looking at Alberta as the major source of new transmissions/carriers.

What the entire nation should have done is looked at Alberta as a litmus test.  10 days post stampede Alberta saw cases jump dramatically.  That should have been the sign that it wasn't time to re-open.  Instead, as always happens.  Stampede week ended and Calgary et al(berta) flooded the Okanagan along with many people from Saskatchewan and as of today Washington and Oregonian tourists.  

With cases spiking here and the southern okanagan being the new place to be due to kelowna and vernon being shut down; these people will bring these cases here; they will then travel home with them and we will start all over and back to restrictive living we go for the Autumn.  There is little to no desire to shut it down before the long weekend because businesses need this influx of people and cash.  Who cares what happens after am I right?

But hey; some people made good money in the air bnb industry right?

The flood gates have opened from the South.....just to add that equation into things.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

1079 new cases, 5 deaths, over the weekend. 68 in hospital, and 20 in ICU. 28 days between vaccinations, so come on people drop into a clinic, they're all open for walk in's. 

More than half of the new cases were in the Interior Health region, which recorded 587 infections over 72 hours.

Of the remaining new cases, 258 were in the Fraser Health region, 142 were in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 30 were in the Northern Health region and 62 were in Island Health.

The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 rose sharply to 68, an increase of 16 from Friday. The number of patients in intensive care dropped by two to 20.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Given the way the mayors of (I think it was) Windsor and Niagara Falls gushing over the opening of the land border, I can't help but think this was a ploy by the Feds to earn brownie points with border communities and tourism-driven districts in advance of the supposed (but as yet uncalled) election.  In the process, we (BC - and even Canadian - citizens who tried to keep infection rates low through our willingness to abide by social distancing and restrictive measures for the greater good) got thrown under the bus.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bonnie still thinks we can plough on ahead with phase 4 restriction eliminations in Sept.  :picard:

As I've said, it's all about money. Oh yes, and votes. One of the reasons why I never vote for those two dumb ass main parties.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Over here it’s proof of two vaccines and/or a negative test from a list of specific providers within 48 hours of the event. 

while it isn’t foolproof it seems on the whole to not being causing super spreader events like the Liverpool athletic match or Cheltenham fesrival

wirh 240,000 spectators during the start of the pandemic as evidenced by the 140k who were at silverstone in July. 

im of the view that COVID passports shouldn’t become the norm but not because I’m anti vax. It often can be treated as a binary thing either you have been vaccinated or not, however there will be people who cannot who will be locked out of society, so it discriminates against a group who already suffer discrimination, it likely will impact pregnant mothers or new parents who haven’t been vaccinated yet. 

also not sure if Canada roll out but in the UK the youngest groups were the last to be vaccinated meaning that while the are able to go and work in the venues and serve in the venues and events they are not allowed to attend them as spectators as they won’t have had the two doses as of yet.

I think if you go down the COVID passport route it needs to be clear and sensible with alternate means of gaining entry ie proof of negative test from set suppliers paid for by the individual, or some level of state provided exception notification. 

There is also the issue of people making or acquiring fake passports and there being no international standard for such. 

I am actually surprised the UN, five eyes or WHO haven’t come up with a solution yet. 

I rather have the current system in place proof of vaccination/ negative PCR test. 

53 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Given the way the mayors of (I think it was) Windsor and Niagara Falls gushing over the opening of the land border, I can't help but think this was a ploy by the Feds to earn brownie points with border communities and tourism-driven districts in advance of the supposed (but as yet uncalled) election.  In the process, we (BC - and even Canadian - citizens who tried to keep infection rates low through our willingness to abide by social distancing and restrictive measures for the greater good) got thrown under the bus.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bonnie still thinks we can plough on ahead with phase 4 restriction eliminations in Sept.  :picard:

Victoria's got a pretty healthy tourism industry.  I am not at all happy about the border re-opening, to the point it'll affect my vote in the upcoming election.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If it wasn't for the fact that a Federal Liberal collapse would mean the Tories would assume government, I would do the Nelson "HA-HA" at the Rt.Hon. for calling an election in the middle of a pandemic and using the re-opening of the border as a political sweetener - and then losing the election because of rising case counts driving diminishing hospital capacity and ultimately increased death counts, erasing the 17+ months of hard work we've done in controlling the pandemic in Canada - all because he wanted to buy a few votes.

Worst.  Political.  Move.  EVER.

funny, I didn't hear Jagmeet Singh complain when Horgan ran a pandemic election. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

a Federal Liberal collapse would mean the Tories would assume government,

Fair; that's a terrifying prospect.  Luckily the Cons have as much of a chance at winning in Victoria as Nolan Baumgartner does of winning the Jack Adams.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Fair; that's a terrifying prospect.  Luckily the Cons have as much of a chance at winning in Victoria as Nolan Baumgartner does of winning the Jack Adams.

it would be scary. 

I kind of find people complaining in BC about it a bit funny. Horgan ran one when no one was vaccinated. How is that OK and running a federal one now worse when most of us are vaccinated? 

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

He wasn't about to alienate his base in BC, and Horgan was riding on the coattails of his PHO and the federal policies of closing the border and restricting international air travel.  Different set of parameters that Horgan banked on, and his gamble succeeded.  I don't think the Federal Liberals would fare quite as well if the reduced border controls result in a return to restrictive measures provincially.

For the record, I wasn't in favour of the Horgan minority government calling an election either.  We were better off dealing with the pandemic than with political gain and consolidation of power for the governing party.

thats fair. 

I think Horgan saw the chance to crush the Greens and ran with it. 

I would really prefer that the federal Liberals wait for the numbers to come down again, and squeeze out the last number of vaccinations that they can before dropping the writ. We won't get 100% vaccination, we all know that but I'd really like to see the 20-40 age range increase some more. 

We do need to see the effect of the border changes as well. Just wait a month, Justin. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

The flood gates have opened from the South.....just to add that equation into things.

Although I’m not in favour of opening the border yet I will say that at least proof of full vaccination and a negative Covid test are required. To be honest it’s our border to the east that concerns me more. No vaccinations, tests…nothing at all required from a province that doesn’t even require Covid positive people to isolate. Bizarro world!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Although I’m not in favour of opening the border yet I will say that at least proof of full vaccination and a negative Covid test are required. To be honest it’s our border to the east that concerns me more. No vaccinations, tests…nothing at all required from a province that doesn’t even require Covid positive people to isolate. Bizarro world!

Yep.  Lesser of two evils

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Really we should be able to control that Alberta border.  Are there three crossings?  

• Cheers 1