The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Seems like some people didn't do their research. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akgqjz/anti-vaxxers-attempt-to-storm-bbc-but-target-building-bbc-moved-out-of-in-2013

Anti-Vaxxers Tried to Storm the BBC. They Got the Wrong Building.

Anti-vaccine passport protesters tried to gain access to a building that the BBC left in 2013, and now mainly houses luxury flats and light entertainment TV studios.

Shen it comes to vaccine passports it Sounds like Spok’s Axiom applies perfectly in England.  

“The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the stupid.”

Edited by Alflives

9 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Although I’m not in favour of opening the border yet I will say that at least proof of full vaccination and a negative Covid test are required. To be honest it’s our border to the east that concerns me more. No vaccinations, tests…nothing at all required from a province that doesn’t even require Covid positive people to isolate. Bizarro world!

Yep. Unfortunately the current Indian (Delta) variant outbreak in Kelowna is suspected to have been mainly caused by the worker bees from Alberta trying to escape their barren/prairie wastelands and invading that tourist town.  I was briefly passing thru there two weeks ago and a restaurant manager told me they refuse to wear mask and are like the selfish Trumpers down south, believing it's "their god given right" to do what ever T. F. they want even if it kills everyone around them.  (P.S. it's a Conservative/Republican cult thing bred into them by people like Kenney with little man syndrome from small backwater isolated outpost cut off from the outside-civilized world who think they're smarter than everyone else !) (Can't fix Stupid !)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really we should be able to control that Alberta border.  Are there three crossings?  

Besides the three main highway crossings, there's a secret fourth way in - thru their Tar-Pit Oil & Goop Pipeline to Burnaby.   That pipeline secretly carries pods of Albertan's flushed down the pipelines into our province.  It's Alberta's Trojan horse.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

By the way - good news this evening.   The Gov't of Canda is keeping the door closed on Indian flights to prevent further spread of their Indian (Delta) Variant into our country - which is rampant over there.  That should help a bit. 

Now how do we contain the Americans now coming in - with forged test result papers, as i suspect they'll be as many liars and cheats from there with falsefied covid test results as we saw from India back in the spring before the government finally got fed up withn all the cheating & contamination and slamed the door shut.

Knowing Americans and the way things are rapidly getting out of control down there, I would not be surprised to see the US/CAN border shuts down again in 4-6 weeks as they are headed for catastrophe with the 4th wave that will dwarf what we've seen to date due to it being 50 times more transmissable (like Chicken pox) and more deadly results.   What a gong show in that banana republic !

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Vintage 1

3 first responders in Florida die of Covid within 3 days

Tim Fitzsimons
Mon, August 9, 2021, 1:08 PM

Authorities in central Florida say the state's latest Covid-19 surge is having a deadly impact on the state's first responders, claiming three of the public servants' lives last week.

The three men — a firefighter, a sheriff's deputy and a police officer — all died within three days of one another, NBC affiliate WESH of Orlando reported.

Driver Engineer Scott Allender died Tuesday "after battling COVID-19 since early July," the Melbourne Fire Department said in a statement.

"Scott Allender was an important and vibrant member of the Melbourne Fire Department and will be dearly missed by all who knew him," Fire Chief Chuck Bogle said. "Our deepest sympathy is extended to the Allender family."

Craig Seijos, 54, a deputy with the Orange County Sheriff's Department, died Thursday.

The sheriff's department said in a statement that Seijos had worked there for nearly three decades.

"Craig dedicated much of his life to serving the residents of Orange County," Sheriff John Mina said. "We will always be grateful for his service and he will never be forgotten.

"Deputy Seijos was a dedicated family man who adored his wife and five adult children," Mina said. "His colleagues say he was an extremely generous person and was always willing to donate to a good cause. Deputy Seijos also never shied away from a healthy debate."

And the Port Orange Police Department posted that Officer Justin White, 39, died from Covid-19 on Thursday.

The police department said White, who is survived by a wife and four children, was "a dedicated husband, father, and a fierce advocate for the officers he worked alongside."

Mike Chitwood, sheriff of nearby Volusia County, sent condolences after White's death, saying in a tweet that over 300 law enforcement officers have died because of Covid-19, making it "by far the biggest single cause of line-of-duty death."

"More than the senseless murders we see all too often," Chitwood wrote. "May Justin White rest in peace, may his family find the strength & support they need to carry on in his memory."

Florida's latest Covid surge, fueled by the contagious delta variant, is having a devastating impact on unvaccinated communities. A church in Jacksonville this month said six of its unvaccinated members died from the virus within 10 days of one another.

• Sad 2

The mandatory vaccinations that triggered a riot in Montreal in 1885

More than 2,000 violent rioters - some armed with stones, others with revolvers - stormed through the streets protesting mandatory vaccinations.

"Kill the vaccinators," they shouted.

The scene was Montreal on the night of Sept. 28, 1885, after the city moved to impose compulsory vaccinations to fight a smallpox epidemic.

The protesters were residents of Montreal's French Canadian neighborhood, where distrust of the English-majority government ran deep.

On Monday, the Pentagon announced that all active-duty service members must get vaccinated against the coronavirus by mid-September.

The mandate comes amid a new surge of coronavirus cases across the country, fueled by the hyper-infectious delta variant. Other federal, state and local government agencies are also expected to require workers to get vaccinated, along with an increasing number of hospitals, universities and private companies.

The mandates have triggered resistance, though no violence.

Montreal's smallpox epidemic began in early 1885 when a conductor on the Grand Trunk Railway arrived in the city with the disease and sought treatment at several locations. As what was known as the "Red Death" spread, Montreal began a voluntary inoculation program, but French Canadian residents resisted.

Though inoculation against smallpox wasn't new, some feared the vaccinations were dangerous. Some didn't understand how contagious the disease was. Some believed rumors that city vaccinators were going into bedrooms and tying down children to be vaccinated.

One anti-vaccination pamphlet read "Stop!! People Driven Like Dumb Animals To The Shambles." Some religious groups called the smallpox shot the biblical "mark of the beast" - the same claim being made by conspiracy theorists about the coronavirus vaccines on the social networks of some Christian groups.

As Montreal's smallpox deaths rose past 3,000 residents, the city's Board of Health moved to make vaccinations compulsory as of Sept. 28, 1885. The board's chairman tried to counter false fears.

"It does not mean that people are to be seized and manacled and so vaccinated by force," he said. "It means that the vaccinator will go to the door of a house and ask for proof that all [residing there] are vaccinated." If not and they refuse to be vaccinated, they would be fined, the Montreal Gazette reported.

Still, uneasy crowds began to form the afternoon of the 28th. Three French Canadian city council members "uttered the most incendiary threat to burn the city and shoot all who favor vaccination being made compulsory," the Detroit Free Press reported.

The outcome was reported across Canada and the United States under such headlines as, "MONTREAL'S MAD MOB."

At about 7 p.m., "a howling mob" attacked a branch office of the health department and "wrecked the building," the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. The crowd, growing in size, then marched to city hall. A few policemen were on duty, but "the mob drove them out of their way like sheep."

The attack on city hall had eerie similarities to the Jan. 6 assault by Donald Trump supporters on the U.S. Capitol.

"A remarkable feature in the riot was the utter collapse of the police force and the proof of its inability to deal with the mob," the Montreal Gazette reported. "The rowdies went about their work with a nonchalance which showed their indifference to the presence of the police."

The riotous crowd turned next to the central police station. "Revolver shots were freely fired at the police," the Boston Transcript said. "To scare the men, the police fired over their heads only to be received by jeers and laughter."

Montreal's mayor was sick at home when he got word of the protest. He got on the phone and had the bells of the Notre Dame cathedral "ring out the alarm for policemen from the various stations of the city to muster" at the central police station, the Montreal Gazette reported.

The mayor and the chief of police headed to the health office, which was again under attack. When the chief tried to rush inside through the mob, he "was knocked down with a blow from a stick and kicked till nearly insensible," the Gazette said. Finally a large group of policemen arrived: "The constables charged the mob, clubbing them right and left, and succeeded in dispersing them."

By 1 a.m., the city was quiet.

A Detroit Free Press reporter was on the scene. "Your reporter at 1 o'clock this morning has just returned from the east end, which is entirely of French-Canadian population. Two thousand people are gathered there in a perfect frenzy of excitement. They declared they will rather die than be vaccinated and will not submit to 'the English dogs.' "

Two protesters were reported killed during the melee, and property damage was extensive. The mayor called in the military the next night and calm was restored to the city.

At a city council meeting, the three French Canadian representatives continued to denounce the vaccinations rather than the rioters. "These are the men who represent the wards where smallpox is most prevalent and take this course to curry favor with their constituents," the New York Times said.

Two weeks later, Dr. Alexander Ross, one of the anti-vaccination city council members who had incited the protesters, was stopped aboard the Chicago Express train from Montreal by a Canadian health inspector, the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported. A search revealed "the great advocate of the ignorant antivaccination party had been vaccinated recently."

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I mentioned I had two unvaxxed friends contract covid in the last cpl weeks.  One guy, an absolute conspiracy nut and hard core anti-vaxxer (husband of a friend, I can't tolerate him) has been in ICU for three weeks.  I really could t care less about him.  He actively fought against health orders etc.  He got what was coming to him

The other person, who I'm somewhat close to is 35 years old and in excellent health.  She's not really ant vax, she vaccine hesitant and never really thought covid was a big deal and hadn't taken any precautions in her life. 

I thought I'd share my most recent (hopefully not last) Convo I had with her.  She had been very sick for three days and had just got her positive test result when we had this Convo (via text of course)

Friend: "do you think I should get the shot after I get over this?"

Me : "absolutely. I won't lie, it does hit you hard. I was down for a solid day with mild flu symptoms"

Friend: "well as long as it doesn't feel like this"

Me: "why didn't you get it already?"

Friend: "I didnt think covid was a big deal and I was scared about the vaccine. I'm so stupid, why didn't I get it? Sorry, I'm really emotional right now. It's been all sleeping and 38-40 degree fever, but no coughing"

Me: "that's good, it hits people differently"

About 4 hours later

Friend: "my chest really hurts and I can't breath. I'm going to phone 8-1-1"

Me: "good, don't mess around"

Friend: "they told me to phone the ambulance"

Me: "did you?"

Friend: "I just did"

That was the last message I got from her two days ago.  I've sent at least three texts asking for an.update and nothing back.

just another really good example of why we have to take a hard line now with these folks, they just are not thinking properly. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just another really good example of why we have to take a hard line now with these folks, they just are not thinking properly. 

When I look back on it, it reads like a poorly constructed propaganda piece to try and scare anti-vaxxers, but that's exactly how it went and exactly how it felt.

I have no idea how's she's doing, but I can't think it's good that I haven't heard anything from her since she told me she was struggling to breathe and the ambulance was coming for her.

• Huggy Bear 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

When I look back on it, it reads like a poorly constructed propaganda piece to try and scare anti-vaxxers, but that's exactly how it went and exactly how it felt.

I have no idea how's she's doing, but I can't think it's good that I haven't heard anything from her since she told me she was struggling to breathe and the ambulance was coming for her.

yeah its not good, but she's young and the drug treatments are getting better all the time, so there's reason for hope. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I wasn’t sure if this was better posted here or the US politics thread but it’s a great example of the stupidity of mixing politics with a global health crisis.

Well, when you see reports like this, it seems that the FREEDUMB line places like Texas, Florida, Arkansas...I wonder what the reason could be????

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/10/coronavirus-texas-hospitals-icu-beds/

Dozens of Texas hospitals are out of ICU beds as COVID-19 cases again overwhelm the state's capacity

"This surge is by far the fastest and most aggressive that we've seen," said the health authority for Austin and Travis County, who urged eligible Texans to get vaccinated.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well, when you see reports like this, it seems that the FREEDUMB line places like Texas, Florida, Arkansas...I wonder what the reason could be????

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/10/coronavirus-texas-hospitals-icu-beds/

Dozens of Texas hospitals are out of ICU beds as COVID-19 cases again overwhelm the state's capacity

"This surge is by far the fastest and most aggressive that we've seen," said the health authority for Austin and Travis County, who urged eligible Texans to get vaccinated.

they'll just end up blaming Biden for not trying hard enough to convince them to get vaccinated. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

people are taking about that fool being the next republican leader :blink: good thing we're setting up to make our own vaccines, eh? 

Not really the thread for this, but:

Canada should do every thing it's power to mitigate, our damage, from what appears to be the decline of the U.S.

They are becoming a trade and health risk and frankly I could see some prospective president start talking about the old 54/40 plan.

Time for Canadians to get our act together and prep for a new world.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2