The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

no read more carefully.  Without symptoms do spread but experts believe they are not the main driver.  Pre and symptomatic people are the major drivers.   Again here in Tokyo life is moving on.

Here's the thing.

It's new, things are changing daily. I hope you are right and I am wrong, that would be great. 

But I support stopping everything for a min and don't hang out with each other.

• Upvote 1

How do we send a message to the absentee prime minister to say are you kidding me with leaving the US border open? How do we get him to see the mistake this is. 300m  people down there and 25 percent have no access to health care so in this event no access to testing.  Their experience will be many times worse than ours.  Unless we screw up by letting everyone come over.

Keeping the US border open to commercial traffic fine.  They can be checked end cleared one at a time. But regular people why?  Planes from the US landing in 35 locations accross Canada while we restrict the rest of the world to 4 locations. . Drivers coming accross on dozens of US  border crossings. Why? 

Two weeks time out can bring this thing  down.  Waiting just makes it harder later.  Wish our leadership was strong enough to make the right decisions. 

And Dix and Horgan omg. Please..those unqualified goofs are just pissing in the wind.

We need decisive leadership.

• Cheers 1

Just now, #Canucks said:

I don’t agree. I don’t think it is extreme. I have an auto immune disease and my son has a respiratory condition. I understand kids don’t have symptoms but I’m not willing to put his life in danger and people should not be risking other people’s lives.

Whether you agree it is relevant to the facts.  Stay home and don't go out.   

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

There is quarantining and then self-distancing.  Big difference.  Experts recognize that asymptomatic people are spreading but they caution that it is not the main driver.  What is are pre-symptomatic and symptomatic people.   I am in Tokyo and people are out and about.   You are being extreme.

I think extreme is closing everything after people get enough supplies for 15 days. Tbh I’m not against it, pause life everywhere for 15 days we will be better off. But that’s extreme.

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

As of right now I don't see enough reason to interrupt everything in my life just to lock myself away. That was my point. I understand people's worries but I am otherwise healthy and will take precautions like washing hands. Of course I will react to things as they change, so if it gets way worse then there will be some cause for additional measures like masks. Its absolutely mind-numbing to sit at home without a single sport to watch.   

Are you a disease expert? if not I would recommend deferring to them.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, #Canucks said:

I think extreme is closing everything after people get enough supplies for 15 days. Tbh I’m not against it, pause life everywhere for 15 days we will be better off. But that’s extreme.

It seems like that is one of the few ways countries are able to contain this around the world sadly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Whether you agree it is relevant to the facts.  Stay home and don't go out.   

I don’t think we can have a conversation about this because I believe you have a disregard for people and this situation. Facts are if you travel quarantine for 14 days to prevent the spread of the virus. That’s the facts. Symptoms or not because you could be a carrier.

• Cheers 4

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Here's the thing.

It's new, things are changing daily. I hope you are right and I am wrong, that would be great. 

But I support stopping everything for a min and don't hang out with each other.

I read the fine print and there are a lot of people on here not reading all the information from varied reliable sources.   I am in Tokyo.  It is extremely packed with people.   Japan like a number of countries are managing the virus relatively well.  Some schools are opening.  People are out and about.  Keep clean, try and keep your distances, keep outings down and if you have any kind of symptom stay home.  Otherwise carry on.  That is what is happening here.  I was on a train today with a couple thousand people. Nobody was coughing or sniffing.

I read the fine print and there are a lot of people on here not reading all the information from varied reliable sources.   I am in Tokyo.  It is extremely packed with people.   Japan like a number of countries are managing the virus relatively well.  Some schools are opening.  People are out and about.  Keep clean, try and keep your distances, keep outings down and if you have any kind of symptom stay home.  Otherwise carry on.  That is what is happening here.  I was on a train today with a couple thousand people. Nobody was coughing or sniffing.

Good for you!

• Huggy Bear 1

Perhaps you should listen to Japanese health authorities and leave us to listen to the guidance and rules set out by Canadian health authorities then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Again, I hope you're right. That it's not as big a deal.

What if there is another variant wave of it like the Spanish flu and someone from Toyko heads to Africa?... I don't know man, it's still early in all this. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

It’s great your country is doing fine. Ours is not and that’s what most of us are talking about. We need to have more precaution. Look at Korea the first 30 people got sick and some of their families but the 31st person to get sick did not know and he/she went to major cities and events, infected a mass amount of people without knowing and now it’s a major issue. Prevention is key no matter how you slice it!

Edited by #Canucks

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Are you a disease expert? if not I would recommend deferring to them.

I hate to say it but the experts seem to be making this up as they go along. I don't mean that they are giving out false info but in regards to their response and their actions to stop the spread. Gobert got infected and all of sudden all the leagues shut down, one by one. Why didn't the experts tell these leagues to stop sooner? Why didn't they close down the borders for foreigners sooner. Why have they left the US border open? Clearly our politicians have a say in this as a well, maybe even economists are chiming in regards to weighing spread of virus vs. the country's economical/financial interests. I and other citizens should be allowed to make the same risk vs. benefit analysis as we step out of our homes.

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Hey keep your crap opinion to yourself.  Seriously you are going to hurt people in Canada with an irresponsible comparison of your experience with ours  We have a 3000 mile border with the US do you? No so shut up. Our border with the US is still open. You can feel pretty good on your Japanese Islands.  Our experience is much different so keep out of it.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

spread of virus vs. the country's economical/financial interests

Yea it is. The economy crashing will be devastating too. Layers to this onion.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

I and other citizens should be allowed to make the same risk vs. benefit analysis as we step out of our homes.

No you shouldn't. It's contagious. Defer to the experts. 

• Cheers 4

Work associate sent a letter to his lawyer regarding what to do this afternoon. He doesn't want to be fired or 'disciplined' for working from home, especially when his parents are over 80 and living with him. Management hasn't acknowledged the virus or options whatsoever. It's business as usual. And the 'funny' thing about this is we're IT so he has more capability than anybody to work from home lmao

• Huggy Bear 1