The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

For those that what information that is straight from experts. Not reinterpreted by the media or clipped for a soundbyte, Google Scholar is providing a lot of free/open access to articles being published in very high-quality journals. Frankly, these journals usually require peer review so it is a bit surprising that things are getting published this quickly, but in any event, you can learn some things from some reliable sources.

https://scholar.google.ca/

https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/pages/coronavirus-alert

https://www.nature.com/collections/hajgidghjb

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

Of course not. The implication is that as being young, healthy and in physically optimal condition, my body is more equipped to fight off the virus without presenting with the kind of symptoms which can easily infect people. Now valid that I am not an expert so I don't know how easily I can infect others or be infected by others but that's a risk I can live with.

Ok baby let's educate you. Got it that you could give a F about whether or not your actions contribute to older people dying. 

How about this.  You financially solid partner?  You can be unaffected by several months of shut down?  If people like you don't help keep this in check?   How about if we muddle through and then  6 months later it comes back and everything gets shut down again?

You ready for that big boy? You got no mortgage or rent? Your reserves are ample?  

If not then when the worm turns others gonna be like haha got what he had coming. 

Bank will foreclose fella. Government not gonna bail you out when too many are in trouble. You'll be in the soup then and the elders will be all haha loser.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

How do we send a message to the absentee prime minister to say are you kidding me with leaving the US border open? How do we get him to see the mistake this is. 300m  people down there and 25 percent have no access to health care so in this event no access to testing.  Their experience will be many times worse than ours.  Unless we screw up by letting everyone come over.

Keeping the US border open to commercial traffic fine.  They can be checked end cleared one at a time. But regular people why?  Planes from the US landing in 35 locations accross Canada while we restrict the rest of the world to 4 locations. . Drivers coming accross on dozens of US  border crossings. Why? 

Two weeks time out can bring this thing  down.  Waiting just makes it harder later.  Wish our leadership was strong enough to make the right decisions. 

And Dix and Horgan omg. Please..those unqualified goofs are just pissing in the wind.

We need decisive leadership.

No....

You need leadership willing to listen to medical experts.

America has a so called "decisive leader" and every medical expert on the planet panned their response.

Politicians willing to listen to experts in this instance are far more important to listen too than emotionally charged posters with a political bias

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Toews said:

How can you trust everything that you are being told? This situation is unprecedented, there is no handbook that these people are reading out of. The people in charge of making decisions are the likes of Donald Trump and Justin Trudeau, neither of them are epidemiologists. Not to mention these politicians are balancing their own personal interests (ie. getting re-elected) with the general public's health. Why hasn't the US border been shut down? Because it would cost Canada far too much be economically viable. All I am saying is that the general public has the same considerations, not everyone can stay at home. Some people have bills to pay, mortgages etc. They too have to balance self-interest (survival) with the general public's health. 

I agree this situation is unprecedented, and even the experts are learning as they go. But to shrug everything off as if "Ahhh, nobody knows what they're talking about. I'm gonna live my life business as usual" would be blatantly naive. One thing we, outside of places like China and Italy, have is the benefit of hindsight. We can see what measures could've/would've helped lower the spread over there. And what's the worst case scenario if we take extreme measures? We lose a few months of partying and lose a chunk of our savings? That absolutely sucks. But we can (and WILL) party later. Our money can be recovered. Human lives can't.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

How can you trust everything that you are being told? This situation is unprecedented, there is no handbook that these people are reading out of. The people in charge of making decisions are the likes of Donald Trump and Justin Trudeau, neither of them are epidemiologists. Not to mention these politicians are balancing their own personal interests (ie. getting re-elected) with the general public's health. Why hasn't the US border been shut down? Because it would cost Canada far too much be economically viable. All I am saying is that the general public has the same considerations, not everyone can stay at home. Some people have bills to pay, mortgages etc. They too have to balance self-interest (survival) with the general public's health. 

Nope. The government officials in charge are taking information, guidance, and recommendations from the WHO, CDC, and the worlds leading and their countries leading health experts and making decisions based on what these people are saying will be best for public health and safety.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

Not just them.

Most all the world leaders. Cause you know, they have the best experts to deffer to

I'm surprised you are digging your heels in. If you are wrong with your assessment and people follow your lead, lots of people die. If most of us are wrong, the worst that happens is we get ' I told you so'. I can live with that. The economy as you pointed out is a concern, our leaders will have to work on a survivable balance. The 0.1%'rs will have to open their wallets and float things until this is figured.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

:picard: . 

I too wish I could just pick and choose the information that suits my own opinion.

You are also just casually glossing over the fact that @samurai also included people that were presymptomatic. 

"there is evidence that transmission of SARS-CoV-2 can occur with few reported symptoms"

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099(20)30144-4

"People are infectious early in the course of the disease, even before presenting symptoms (which makes it more difficult to isolate sick people and identify their contacts). Estimates indicate that presymptomatic individuals can account for up to 25% of transmission."

https://www.isglobal.org/en/coronavirus-lecciones-y-recomendaciones

I will concede that you know more about the virus than I do. It still hasn't convinced this government to shut everything down. 

We cannot put our lives on hold because of a virus. Sorry but its just the truth, Alf got attacked for stating the obvious.

4 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

They have to shut the border down to Americans as well.. Snohomish county is right next door to us 2.5 million metro vancouverites and that area is one of the hardest hit areas on the continent.

Why are Americans exempt????? Protect Canadians you moron, Turdope.

pretty sure we get most our toilet paper from the states, so......

Edited by Canorth
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No....

You need leadership willing to listen to medical experts.

America has a so called "decisive leader" and every medical expert on the planet panned their response.

Politicians willing to listen to experts in this instance are far more important to listen too than emotionally charged posters with a political bias

Sorry pal you're wrong. Matter of days to weeks before the US border gets shut down and EVERYONE will ask why it didn't happen sooner.  Get your head out of your **s. 

Your attitude is dangerous to people and needs to stop. 

"It's not that bad we have it under control."  Nope. Wrong.  Please stop posting dangerous nonsense. 

Once we close the borders we can focus on internal decisions only.  Stop.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No, you are not. If he hasn't self-quarantined for 2 weeks, he should be showing you a negative test result. Otherwise, GTFO

How is he supposed to show a test result the next day? If he could get a test it takes days to get a result. If you self isolate for 14 days I am assuming you are clear by that time if you do not manifest C-19 by then.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

I will concede that you know more about the virus than I do. It still hasn't convinced this government to shut everything down. 

We cannot put our lives on hold because of a virus. Sorry but its just the truth, Alf got attacked for stating the obvious.

We sure as hell can!!! I've never seen such a selfish / ignorant statement!! Reality is going to catch up to you sooner than later...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

We cannot put our lives on hold because of a virus. Sorry but its just the truth, 

I bet those that were around during the Spanish Flu wished they had

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

Alf got attacked for stating the obvious.

Alf was doing Alf. This time it he was disregarding human life and acting as an authority. No one is an authority on this yet.

Did you recently fall in love and this virus has affected your plans to see you new heart throb? serious question, I am wondering why such a smart poster is dismissing info from experts.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2