The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't have any sympathy for people who aren't stepping up to protect their communities.  Cancel culture has nothing to do with it, that's a cop out

What about personal health concerns? Maybe someone with underlying heart issues, history of that in the family, exc. Heart problems for young males has already been an identified phenomena - granted rare, but so is the likely-hood of covid death in that demo. 

Its easy to say protect communities - and not without merit - but at the end of the day if a young male takes this and has serious complications the 'community' isn't going to give one **** about that individuals health either. 

Meanwhile down under, this poor guy got sprayed with urine and he says that some ended up in his mouth.

Gotta admire the composure on him though.

I guess it gives a whole new meaning to that “he is a pisser” slang!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/breaking-news/channel-7-reporter-paul-dowsley-sprayed-with-urine-by-protesters-in-melbourne/news-story/b411e92951df730b0df1f932c5ca3332

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

What about personal health concerns? Maybe someone with underlying heart issues, history of that in the family, exc. Heart problems for young males has already been an identified phenomena - granted rare, but so is the likely-hood of covid death in that demo. 

Its easy to say protect communities - and not without merit - but at the end of the day if a young male takes this and has serious complications the 'community' isn't going to give one **** about that individuals health either. 

Think when people said they have no patience to those not getting the vaccine, it is assumed that of course don't get it if one has a medical condition that prevent them from getting it.

That is the point. Those that can get it should to protect others in the community that cannot due being too young or have medical conditions. 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Think when people said they have no patience to those not getting the vaccine, it is assumed that of course don't get it if one has a medical condition that prevent them from getting it.

That is the point. Those that can get it should to protect others in the community that cannot due being too young or have medical conditions. 

Fair enough - that I totally agree with. Its just the comment before was 'hesitancy' (assuming of any kind) isn't legitimate, its simply 'anti-vax', and therefore intolerable.

But I disagree, and for the reason I gave - I think people should have the opportunity to an honest consultation if they feel at risk rather than peer pressure & being labelled as the enemy of society. I also wonder about the 'too young' part & if that's being considered enough as it seems like the more severe complications (specifically heart issues) are occurring in younger (less at risk of covid) people as opposed to older (more at risk of covid) people.  

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough - that I totally agree with. Its just the comment before was 'hesitancy' (assuming of any kind) isn't legitimate, its simply 'anti-vax', and therefore intolerable.

But I disagree, and for the reason I gave - I think people should have the opportunity to an honest consultation if they feel at risk rather than peer pressure & being labelled as the enemy of society. I also wonder about the 'too young' part & if that's being considered enough as it seems like the more severe complications (specifically heart issues) are occurring in younger (less at risk of covid) people as opposed to older (more at risk of covid) people.  

Too young as in under 12. Vaccine ain't approved by health Canada to those under 12 yet. As for teens and young adults, they will be required to get it soon enough as requirement for attending schools barring valid medical reasons. 

As for peer pressured, they should be peer pressured to at least consult with their doctors to determine if they should or should not take it given their medical history and not just assume things. The problem is we have a swath of the population that refuses to even consult or listen to medical professionals about this and to those they deserve every slander they get. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Too young as in under 12. Vaccine ain't approved by health Canada to those under 12 yet. As for teens and young adults, they will be required to get it soon enough as requirement for attending schools barring valid medical reasons. 

As for peer pressured, they should be peer pressured to at least consult with their doctors to determine if they should or should not take it given their medical history and not just assume things. The problem is we have a swath of the population that refuses to even consult or listen to medical professionals about this and to those they deserve every slander they get. 

See I still wonder if there's not valid concerns for teens/young adults given their likelihood of survival against the virus. But fine, that aside, at the very least if its mandated they should be able to sue if there are serious complications due to whats essentially coercion. Again I'm not pretending that every person will have these problems, but if its mandated against free will their should be some mechanism for recourse.

This bolded second part I agree with. But it seems to be more of a 'get in line' sentiment than that, atleast on the internet, which only emboldens people. There's going to be distrust in institutions, and there's also going to be people who take that too far as you say, but I don't think that complete unreasonability has to characterize most people. 

It just sucks things have gotten to this point of social war rather than trying to come together. But what could you expect when people won't even wear a mask in a grocery store. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

E_2uMgnVgAQ89L0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Alberta is #1!

Poor Saskatchewan and BC suffering from proximity to Alberta. The further away from Alberta the lower the deaths. Have no idea if there's any actual correlation but BC definitely had its fair share of Alberta visitors during the summer.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

My wife co-worker hasn't gotten the vaccine.   The co-worker was sorta proud of not taking flu shots as well.  Says the family doesn't believe in it.

Then when it was mandated, she now claims to not get it for health reasons.  Claims she has Asthma.   Even though she has never had an inhaler.  Nor was discussed she had Asthma in all the years they worked together. 

It's more likely people don't want to take it rather than having underlying medical issues (small % of the unvaccinated).

I don't wish Covid-19 on any one.  But don't expect sympathy from me when you could have easily prevented it.

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, BPA said:

My wife co-worker hasn't gotten the vaccine.   The co-worker was sorta proud of not taking flu shots as well.  Says the family doesn't believe in it.

Then when it was mandated, she now claims to not get it for health reasons.  Claims she has Asthma.   Even though she has never had an inhaler.  Nor was discussed she had Asthma in all the years they worked together. 

It's more likely people don't want to take it rather than having underlying medical issues (small % of the unvaccinated).

I don't wish Covid-19 on any one.  But don't expect sympathy from me when you could have easily prevented it.

The people that will now hide behind medical, or religious reasons are the people I have the biggest problem with.

BE honest, stand up for what you believe in, don't hide.

I'd previously mentioned I used to work with a fellow, that just a couple weeks back became a religious guy.

How convenient.jpg

• Vintage 3

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

"Feel at risk"? What does that mean?

As far as I can tell, every anti-vaxxer "feels at risk", (or claims to) which is a big reason we're in the mess we're in.

The information is out there. Vaccines are safe and effective and it's time to stop coddling people who are looking for excuses to justify their nonsensical stand, which is far less about safety than it is some ill-conceived idea of "personal freedom" and "sticking it to the man"....

just tell them its injectable ivermectin, they'll come a runnin'. 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's actually 9 games and $450,000.

My guess, if this were the playoffs (or meaningful games at the end of the season) and Bertuzzi still wasn't vaccinated while Det was in a potential playoff position - Yzerman would change his expectation of his players right fast.  I know it's a long ways away, but this has got to be on the radar of some GM's. 

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are we nearing the point where those adults who refuse vaccination, that get serious disease, are refused hospital care?  If these people want to refuse vaccination maybe they don’t get medical help for Covid if needed?  Right now these people are already causing pain and suffering by taking up hospital beds that otherwise would be used for surgery recovery.  So those surgeries are delayed and the people needing those operations are not getting them.  And it’s all completely avoidable by a small percentage of people just getting vaccinated.  15% of the people are a serious problem.  Maybe if they knew they wouldn’t get medical care for serious Covid that would get them to get vaccinated?  

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

We should have been at that point months ago.  Stop wasting my tax dollars to keep these pieces of trash alive while the rest of us need to be able to access medical care.

While I don't disagree with you guys - this would never happen.  Nobody will be refused medical care in this country for anything like you are describing.  The health care system has been clogged for decades with patients who suffer from completely preventable/manageable issues (health/lifestyle choices like smoking/drinking/poor diet/refusal to exercise ect...) and they are never refused basic care, never. 

Like I said, I don't disagree with you - but there are decades of precedent - if they won't refuse care to an obese chain smoker who drinks excessively and has emphysema, they're not going to refuse non-vaxxers. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

While I don't disagree with you guys - this would never happen.  Nobody will be refused medical care in this country for anything like you are describing.  The health care system has been clogged for decades with patients who suffer from completely preventable/manageable issues (health/lifestyle choices like smoking/drinking/poor diet/refusal to exercise ect...) and they are never refused basic care, never. 

Like I said, I don't disagree with you - but there are decades of precedent - if they won't refuse care to an obese chain smoker who drinks excessively and has emphysema, they're not going to refuse non-vaxxers. 

The health system isn't getting overloaded with obese smokers.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My guess, if this were the playoffs (or meaningful games at the end of the season) and Bertuzzi still wasn't vaccinated while Det was in a potential playoff position - Yzerman would change his expectation of his players right fast.  I know it's a long ways away, but this has got to be on the radar of some GM's. 

It seems like a no-brainer that teams would just make vaccination as requirement. My guess is that the PA has something to say about it and that's why there is no player mandate.

• Thanks 1