The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The health system isn't getting overloaded with obese smokers.

The health-care system has been overloaded for decades with people making poor lifestyle choices.  Anti-vaxxers may have pushed the system over the edge, but it was already overloaded. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Some teams have chosen to make it mandatory though, such as the Islanders.

For players as well? I wasn't aware of that.

I'd still ave to guess that the PA would get involved if one of their players refused the vaccine and was suspended as a result.

For the "it's just a flu" crowd.  Professional athlete suffering long-term effect of getting Covid.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/alex-stalock-expected-to-miss-2021-22-season-due-to-heart-condition

Alex Stalock Expected to Miss 2021-22 Season Due to Heart Condition

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Alex Stalock is expected to miss the entire 2021-22 NHL season due to a heart condition he developed after contracting COVID-19 last season.
  • Sad 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nobody should be denied treatment even in the cases of stupidity.  Now if it's a case of a system already at its break point, I know who should get first priority and it ain't these people.

Agreed. If we start denying treatment now based on "stupidity", where do we even draw that line of what's stupid and what's not? It's a slippery slope.

2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

For the "it's just a flu" crowd.  Professional athlete suffering long-term effect of getting Covid.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/alex-stalock-expected-to-miss-2021-22-season-due-to-heart-condition

Alex Stalock Expected to Miss 2021-22 Season Due to Heart Condition

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Alex Stalock is expected to miss the entire 2021-22 NHL season due to a heart condition he developed after contracting COVID-19 last season.

Yikes.  They better hope Smith can play 70 games because they now are without an NHL quality backup.

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Agreed. If we start denying treatment now based on "stupidity", where do we even draw that line of what's stupid and what's not? It's a slippery slope.

but what if its based on choice? the next step should be we give people 8 more weeks until we start sending non-vaccinated people home and/or on a wait list for treatment, and stop delaying things like cancer surgeries. 

If people still choose to be non-vaccinated after that warming and 8 weeks of time, its a clear choice on their part. 

And its not a slippery slope. If someone decides to smoke and gets cancer,e.g.  it doesn't delay someone else's surgery. 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but what if is based on choice? the next step should be we give people 8 more weeks until we start sending non-vaccinated people home and/or on a wait list for treatment, and stop delaying things like cancer surgeries. 

If people still choose to be non-vaccinated after that warming and 8 weeks of time, its a clear choice on their part. 

And its not a slippery slope. If someone decides to smoke and gets cancer,e.g.  it doesn't delay someone else's surgery. 

I just can't agree with this man. I have my limits. lol

If people aren't allowed to make mistakes, we might as well only give surgery to perfectionists.

Just now, The Lock said:

I just can't agree with this man. I have my limits. lol

If people aren't allowed to make mistakes, we might as well only give surgery to perfectionists.

I guess I don't see it as a mistake, they are making a choice that effects others. Its only fair that they also have an effect back on them. 

Its why they got rid of public smoking, but not smoking itself. You have to put limits on harm others can do to innocent people. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I guess I don't see it as a mistake, they are making a choice that effects others. Its only fair that they also have an effect back on them. 

Its why they got rid of public smoking, but not smoking itself. You have to put limits on harm others can do to innocent people. 

Without a choice, you can't make a mistake since mistake imply you had a choice to begin with. ;)

It's a choice that they've made that's a mistake in my opinion.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Without a choice, you can't make a mistake since mistake imply you had a choice to begin with. ;)

It's a choice that they've made that's a mistake in my opinion.

I hear you. If it just effected them alone, I'd agree, but they are really harming other people. And not just with covid. Watching the news the other night with a guy who can't get a brain tumour removed thanks to all the "choices" made in Alberta. Thats a pretty high price to pay for someone else's decision. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I hear you. If it just effected them alone, I'd agree, but they are really harming other people. And not just with covid. Watching the news the other night with a guy who can't get a brain tumour removed thanks to all the "choices" made in Alberta. Thats a pretty high price to pay for someone else's decision. 

And there in lies where their mistake is and, ultimately, it's a mistake that costs lives.

But really this shouldn't be about what we deem as being a mistake or not. All in all, it just plain sucks that we're in this mess because people would rather put their own conspiracies above human life.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And there in lies where their mistake is and, ultimately, it's a mistake that costs lives.

But really this shouldn't be about what we deem as being a mistake or not. All in all, it just plain sucks that we're in this mess because people would rather put their own conspiracies above human life.

We should use the free market insurance model and start charging msp again to those that are not vaccinated or engaging in other high risk behaviors like smoking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

We should use the free market insurance model and start charging msp again to those that are not vaccinated or engaging in other high risk behaviors like smoking. 

I don't disagree with that at the very least. I just don't agree with cutting out healthcare to these people altogether.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't disagree with that at the very least. I just don't agree with cutting out healthcare to these people altogether.

Yep, we should not play god and decide who gets to live or not. 

Once you have a financial stake in these discussions, you will see a lot of people changing their minds.