The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Man, wish I had this last year when all the covidiots were parroting "but, but Sweden".

RDT_20210923_090748574592026685013008.jpg

Provided that this reddit user didn't fudge up any numbers, that's a good infographic that takes into account quite a few important population metrics (written in small font underneath) 

re Sweden. It's hard to argue they did a good job when the King of Sweden and the Prime Minister both say they failed.......\

Coronavirus: Swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf says coronavirus approach 'has failed'

17 December 2020

Sweden's king has said his country "failed" to save lives with its relatively relaxed approach to the coronavirus pandemic.

Sweden, which has never imposed a full lockdown, has seen nearly 350,000 cases and more than 7,800 deaths - a lot more than its Scandinavian neighbours.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said he agreed with the king's remarks.

"Of course the fact that so many have died can't be considered as anything other than a failure," Mr Lofven told reporters.

Referring to the government's strategy, Mr Lofven added that "it's when we are through the pandemic that the real conclusions can be drawn".

In the programme, the king says: "I think we have failed. We have a large number who have died and that is terrible.

"The people of Sweden have suffered tremendously in difficult conditions. One thinks of all the family members who have happened to be unable to say goodbye to their deceased family members. I think it is a tough and traumatic experience not to be able to say a warm goodbye."

When asked if he was afraid of being infected with Covid-19, the king - who is 74 - said: "Lately, it has felt more obvious, it has crept closer and closer. That's not what you want."

Instead of relying on legal sanctions, Sweden appeals to citizens' sense of responsibility and civic duty, and issues only recommendations. There are no sanctions if they are ignored.

Sweden has never imposed a nationwide lockdown or the wearing of masks, and bars and restaurants have remained open.

Edited by nuckin_futz

Stuff like this story is pushing me closer and closer to just squatting at the top of Haslam Lake till the morons die out:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michael-flynn-claims-salad-dressing-is-being-infused-with-covid-vaccine/ar-AAOKpRF?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

"Michael Flynn, the former national security advisor under Donald Trump, claimed during an appearance on a conservative radio program that COVID vaccines were being added to salad dressing.

Flynn was speaking to Clay Clark, conservative radio host of “The Thrivetime Show”, and Andrew Sorchini, a precious metals dealer in Beverly Hills.

“Somebody sent me a thing this morning where they’re talking about putting the vaccine in salad dressing. Have you seen this? I mean it’s — and I’m thinking to myself, this is the ‘bizarro world,’ right? This is definitely the ‘bizarro world,’” said Flynn.

“These people are seriously thinking about how to impose their will on us in our society and it has to stop,” he added.

No evidence has been found thus far of COVID vaccines being slipped into any salad condiments. Multiple outlets have reached out to Flynn for clarification. Meanwhile, fact-checkers over at Snopes gather that it’s possible the retired general had made a reference to ongoing research that aims to grow produce containing mRNA vaccine material

A few days before Flynn’s interview, University of California-Riverside announced a research program would attempt to “turn edible plants like lettuce into mRNA vaccine factories.”

“The project’s goals, made possible by a $500,000 grant from the National Science Foundation, are threefold: showing that DNA containing the mRNA vaccines can be successfully delivered into the part of plant cells where it will replicate, demonstrating the plants can produce enough mRNA to rival a traditional shot, and finally, determining the right dosage,” the release states.

One difficulty with rolling out mRNA COVID-19 vaccines currently is the sub-zero temperatures required during transportation. The research, if successful, would allow mRNA vaccines to be stored at room temperature.

“Plant-based mRNA vaccines — which can be eaten — could overcome this challenge with the ability to be stored at room temperature,” according to the statement. The study is currently looking into using lettuce and spinach for the process. The key to making it work will be chloroplasts, which converts sunlight into energy for plants.

“They’re tiny, solar-powered factories that produce sugar and other molecules which allow the plant to grow,” said one researcher. “They’re also an untapped source for making desirable molecules.”

It’s unlikely the “vaccine veggies” are going to be used during the COVID-19 pandemic, as Snopes points out. The program is in its infancy and without a timeline.

Flynn, Roger Stone and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell are going on a ReAwaken America tour organized by Clark. Multi-day conferences are being held across the U.S., featuring speeches from high-profile Trump loyalists and anti-vax doctors. Tickets reportedly cost $250 for general admission and $500 for VIP access, but pastors can qualify for 50 per cent off. Many of the dates are listed as sold out .

Flynn, who was pardoned by former president Trump after pleading guilty to lying to the FBI in 2017, served as the national security advisor to the 45th president for 22 days before resigning. In 2020, Flynn claimed COVID-19 was concocted to “gain control of society” during a presidential election.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Interesting side story out of Edmonton....

Apparently, both Duncan Keith and Mike Smith needed to be convinced to be vaccinated by Ken Holland. (Keith only got his shot a week ago) OTOH, Josh Archibald is digging in his heels, much like Bertuzzi.

Of course, there are two major differences between Archibald and Bertuzzi: One is a big part of his team and the other is a 4th line checker / penalty killer. Secondly, Archibald plays for a Canadian franchise, meaning that after every trip to the US, he would have to quarantine for 14 days, effectively making him unavailable for home games all season.

The Oilers have not yet mandated vaccines, so Archibald is able to attend training camp, although he is being tested for Covid on a daily basis. Of course, such an arrangement won't work for an entire season.

Bottom line: If he doesn't change his mind on Vaccines, the odds are JO spends this season in AHL Bakersfield....

Full story here: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/for-oilers-archibalds-selfish-anti-vaccine-stance-is-not-worth-the-risk/ar-AAOINYU?li=AAggFp5

Isn't Stalock a long hauler as well. He's missing most of this season because of Covid.

3 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Isn't Stalock a long hauler as well. He's missing most of this season because of Covid.

Could be....TBH, I don't follow pre-season stuff all that closely (except for the Canucks)

It did have me thinking though....what if Keith and Smitty had dug in their heels like Archibald? What a mess the Oilers would have then...

55 minutes ago, gurn said:

Stuff like this story is pushing me closer and closer to just squatting at the top of Haslam Lake till the morons die out:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michael-flynn-claims-salad-dressing-is-being-infused-with-covid-vaccine/ar-AAOKpRF?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

"Michael Flynn, the former national security advisor under Donald Trump, claimed during an appearance on a conservative radio program that COVID vaccines were being added to salad dressing.

Flynn was speaking to Clay Clark, conservative radio host of “The Thrivetime Show”, and Andrew Sorchini, a precious metals dealer in Beverly Hills.

“Somebody sent me a thing this morning where they’re talking about putting the vaccine in salad dressing. Have you seen this? I mean it’s — and I’m thinking to myself, this is the ‘bizarro world,’ right? This is definitely the ‘bizarro world,’” said Flynn.

“These people are seriously thinking about how to impose their will on us in our society and it has to stop,” he added.

No evidence has been found thus far of COVID vaccines being slipped into any salad condiments. Multiple outlets have reached out to Flynn for clarification. Meanwhile, fact-checkers over at Snopes gather that it’s possible the retired general had made a reference to ongoing research that aims to grow produce containing mRNA vaccine material

A few days before Flynn’s interview, University of California-Riverside announced a research program would attempt to “turn edible plants like lettuce into mRNA vaccine factories.”

“The project’s goals, made possible by a $500,000 grant from the National Science Foundation, are threefold: showing that DNA containing the mRNA vaccines can be successfully delivered into the part of plant cells where it will replicate, demonstrating the plants can produce enough mRNA to rival a traditional shot, and finally, determining the right dosage,” the release states.

One difficulty with rolling out mRNA COVID-19 vaccines currently is the sub-zero temperatures required during transportation. The research, if successful, would allow mRNA vaccines to be stored at room temperature.

“Plant-based mRNA vaccines — which can be eaten — could overcome this challenge with the ability to be stored at room temperature,” according to the statement. The study is currently looking into using lettuce and spinach for the process. The key to making it work will be chloroplasts, which converts sunlight into energy for plants.

“They’re tiny, solar-powered factories that produce sugar and other molecules which allow the plant to grow,” said one researcher. “They’re also an untapped source for making desirable molecules.”

It’s unlikely the “vaccine veggies” are going to be used during the COVID-19 pandemic, as Snopes points out. The program is in its infancy and without a timeline.

Flynn, Roger Stone and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell are going on a ReAwaken America tour organized by Clark. Multi-day conferences are being held across the U.S., featuring speeches from high-profile Trump loyalists and anti-vax doctors. Tickets reportedly cost $250 for general admission and $500 for VIP access, but pastors can qualify for 50 per cent off. Many of the dates are listed as sold out .

Flynn, who was pardoned by former president Trump after pleading guilty to lying to the FBI in 2017, served as the national security advisor to the 45th president for 22 days before resigning. In 2020, Flynn claimed COVID-19 was concocted to “gain control of society” during a presidential election.

Interesting.  Wouldn't have thought the mRNA would survive the digestive system.  More likely being used as a cheaper way to make mRNA vaccines but would purify them out.  (verified neither mRNA or DNA survive the digestive tract, they are metabolized by pepsin)

Going to guess the same group of people that are good with GMO foods so that can use roundup will be mad about GMO foods that may help keep them healthy.  Then again they did say vegetables so that Ven diagram may not connect.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

:lol:

I think video clips like these perfectly demonstrate the problem with the phrase "Do your own research"....

The fact is, most people don't have a clue how to properly conduct research. They only know how to scour the internet for sources that validate their positions. As a result, we get the kind of stupidity displayed in those montages.....

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think video clips like these perfectly demonstrate the problem with the phrase "Do your own research"....

The fact is, most people don't have a clue how to properly conduct research. They only know how to scour the internet for sources that validate their positions. As a result, we get the kind of stupidity displayed in those montages.....

100% 

You have people that have never read a science paper doing their own interpretations and disseminating the information for the rest of us... and to make things worst they only do so to validate their position as you mentioned. 

I have often defended the principle of having the choice about the vaccine but 99% of the arguments on that side are completely non-sensical.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Salad dressing.....:picard:

How stupid is that? Not just that Flynn believes this garbage, but that anyone would believe that the best way to target anti-vaxxers would be through salad dressing....:rolleyes:

Try gravy....or Budweiser.....doofus....<_<

I wouldn't think those hicks would eat salad much less worry about salad dressing.  Salads are for cream puffs and girly-men in their eyes.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Too many vaccines already.  Plenty for boosters for elderly and immunocompromised though. 

Canada paused COVID-19 vaccine deliveries as supply far exceeds demand

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2021/9/22/1_5596354.html

We should have a list of countries ready to go and donate any oversupply ASAP. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

We should have a list of countries ready to go and donate any oversupply ASAP. 

first up Common wealth countries

second up NATO countries

third up - which ever smaller country Canada thinks might want to eventually join with us.

4rth -every other country based on need.

• Vintage 1