The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2021, 88.3% (4,092,813) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 81.7% (3,789,179) received their second dose.

In addition, 88.8% (3,840,329) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 82.5% (3,568,189) received their second dose.

B.C. is reporting 593 new cases of COVID-19, including nine epi-linked cases, for a total of 190,372 cases in the province.

There are 5,937 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 182,045 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 345 individuals are in hospital and 144 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.

The new/active cases include:

• 203 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,300
  • 68 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 869
  • 128 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 1,151
  • 87 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 836
  • 107 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 723
  • No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 58

In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,983.

There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at the University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health). The outbreak at Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 19 active outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor and Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre (Fraser Health);
  • Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Cottonwoods Care Centre, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station (Interior Health);
  • Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health); and
  • Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health).

acute care:

• University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health); and
  • Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).
  • assisted or independent living:
  • Sunset Manor (Fraser Health); and
  • Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).

People who are moderately to severely immunocompromised will receive a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine. For information on eligibility, as well as how and when to receive a third dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised

Visitor policy for long-term care and all other health-care settings in B.C. is being updated. Starting Oct. 12, 2021, visitors to long-term care and assisted-living facilities will need to show their vaccine card for proof of full immunization. Starting Oct. 26, 2021, visitors to acute-care settings will also need to show they are fully vaccinated.

From Sept. 27 to Oct. 3, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 70.7% of cases and from Sept. 20-Oct. 3, they accounted for 78.1% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Sept. 27-Oct. 3) – Total 4,922

• Not vaccinated: 3,160 (64.2%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 320 (6.5%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,442 (29.3%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 20-Oct. 3) – Total 347

• Not vaccinated: 242 (69.7%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 29 (8.4%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 76 (21.9%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 27-Oct. 3)    

• Not vaccinated: 297.3
  • Partially vaccinated: 90.1
  • Fully vaccinated: 35.1

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 20 to Oct. 3)

• Not vaccinated: 36.7
  • Partially vaccinated: 12.9
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.7

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,894,975 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0060-001918

• Thanks 1

You would be excused for thinking this is an Onion or Beaverton article but nope:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/gop-lawmaker-pushes-insane-claim-octopus-like-creatures-are-in-vax/ar-AAPaUon?ocid=msedgntp

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu called for a state lawmaker who’s repeatedly pushed COVID-19 misinformation to be stripped from his leadership position after he blasted out an email to colleagues suggesting that the coronavirus vaccine contains a “living organism with tentacles” and darkens the eyes of newborns.

“I have repeatedly expressed directly to Speaker Packard about the need to remove Representative Weyler from this position of leadership,” Sununu said in a statement Monday. “Disseminating this misinformation clearly shows a detachment from reality and lack of judgment.”

Sununu’s statement referring to “absurd emails” from the chair of the finance committee—which recently voted to table $27 million in federal vaccine aid for the state—come after Weyler blasted colleagues’ inboxes with materials on Monday rife with COVID conspiracy theories, including a document entitled “The Vaccine Death Report” that claimed vaccine injections were “murdering millions of people.”

The email from the legislator contained a 52-page “report” with disinformation on COVID-19, including claims that “unknown, octopus-like creatures are being injected into millions of children worldwide.”

The report also made claims that 5G technology had somehow been inserted into the vaccine to control people’s thoughts and called the pope and others “at the top” of the Roman Catholic Church “satanists” and “luciferans” for backing public health measures. The report additionally made the wild suggestion that the babies of vaccinated parents in Mexico were “transhuman”—born with “pitch-black eyes” and undergoing accelerated aging.

“It’s all one huge puppet theatre, where the majority of the people—even most of those who are complicit —haven’t got the slightest clue what is going on, and how everyone is being played,” the report states.

When asked about the report and calls for his removal, Weyler responded to The Daily Beast in an email: “No comment.”

Rep. Karen Umberger (R), the committee’s vice chair told The Daily Beast on Tuesday that she hadn’t looked at the report. She declined to say whether or not Weyler should face repercussions, adding when asked about calls for his removal: “I think that’s the speaker’s decision—completely.”

On Monday, a ranking Democratic member of the House Finance Committee, Rep. Mary Jane Wallner, released a statement ripping the report and suggesting Weyler posed a threat to public health.

“The continued dissemination of disinformation from Rep. Weyler is a danger to public health in New Hampshire and to the credibility of the legislature as a whole,” she said.

In recent weeks, Wallner had also joined New Hampshire House Democratic Leader Renny Cushing in issuing a letter to Packard, urging him to remove Weyler from his leadership role on the committee and “replace him with a member who respects science and the employees of state departments.”

Rep. William Marsh, who became a Democrat last month after citing a prevailing view among GOP colleagues to oppose masks and vaccines, told The Daily Beast on Tuesday that he agrees with Sununu’s call to replace Weyler but has concerns over who could steer the committee toward science.

“It’s a problem because competence seems to be a disqualification at this point in time, it’s sad, it’s very sad,” Marsh said.

“I wish he had spoken up two weeks ago,” Marsh added separately of Sununu in an email. “I would hope to be proved wrong, but one of the reasons I changed my party affiliation is I no longer believe Republicans are willing to hold their members accountable.”

Sununu, who has called himself as “pro-vaccine as they come,” has also said that he opposed mandating coronavirus vaccines, after President Biden announced plans to require vaccines for state and federal workers.

The calls for stripping Weyler of his leadership role come weeks after the lawmaker sought to undermine the state’s Health Commissioner Lori Shibinette at a committee hearing where she requested federal funds be used to expand New Hampshire’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout programs. During a committee hearing with Shibinette on Sept. 17, Weyler questioned data from the department on hospitalizations and suggested that the majority of people seeking hospital treatment for the virus were vaccinated.

When Shibinette accused Weyler of spreading misinformation, he doubled down, suggesting that he had been hearing from emergency personnel who could corroborate his claims. A day later, in an interview with New Hampshire Public Radio, Weyler said federal authorities could not be trusted on health matters.

“Many people have sent me links to these things I’ve discussed,” he told NHPR in an interview published on Sept. 22 “I’ve seen links from reports from all sorts of credible sources. But [Shibinette] is just listening to the CDC as far as I can see. And I don’t consider the CDC a credible source, or Dr. Fauci a credible source.”

The New Hampshire House’s communications director, Jennifer Tramp, told The Daily Beast at the time that state House Speaker Sherman Packard, a Republican, had addressed Weyler’s comments with him directly—but that hasn’t stopped him from spewing false information.

Neither Tramp nor Packard immediately responded to a request for comment in light of the fresh wave of calls for Weyler’s removal on Tuesday, but Packard told NHPR in a statement: “It is not uncommon, whether one agrees or disagrees with the content, for a committee chair to share constituent information with committee members.”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

You would be excused for thinking this is an Onion or Beaverton article but nope:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/gop-lawmaker-pushes-insane-claim-octopus-like-creatures-are-in-vax/ar-AAPaUon?ocid=msedgntp

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu called for a state lawmaker who’s repeatedly pushed COVID-19 misinformation to be stripped from his leadership position after he blasted out an email to colleagues suggesting that the coronavirus vaccine contains a “living organism with tentacles” and darkens the eyes of newborns.

“I have repeatedly expressed directly to Speaker Packard about the need to remove Representative Weyler from this position of leadership,” Sununu said in a statement Monday. “Disseminating this misinformation clearly shows a detachment from reality and lack of judgment.”

Sununu’s statement referring to “absurd emails” from the chair of the finance committee—which recently voted to table $27 million in federal vaccine aid for the state—come after Weyler blasted colleagues’ inboxes with materials on Monday rife with COVID conspiracy theories, including a document entitled “The Vaccine Death Report” that claimed vaccine injections were “murdering millions of people.”

The email from the legislator contained a 52-page “report” with disinformation on COVID-19, including claims that “unknown, octopus-like creatures are being injected into millions of children worldwide.”

The report also made claims that 5G technology had somehow been inserted into the vaccine to control people’s thoughts and called the pope and others “at the top” of the Roman Catholic Church “satanists” and “luciferans” for backing public health measures. The report additionally made the wild suggestion that the babies of vaccinated parents in Mexico were “transhuman”—born with “pitch-black eyes” and undergoing accelerated aging.

“It’s all one huge puppet theatre, where the majority of the people—even most of those who are complicit —haven’t got the slightest clue what is going on, and how everyone is being played,” the report states.

When asked about the report and calls for his removal, Weyler responded to The Daily Beast in an email: “No comment.”

Rep. Karen Umberger (R), the committee’s vice chair told The Daily Beast on Tuesday that she hadn’t looked at the report. She declined to say whether or not Weyler should face repercussions, adding when asked about calls for his removal: “I think that’s the speaker’s decision—completely.”

On Monday, a ranking Democratic member of the House Finance Committee, Rep. Mary Jane Wallner, released a statement ripping the report and suggesting Weyler posed a threat to public health.

“The continued dissemination of disinformation from Rep. Weyler is a danger to public health in New Hampshire and to the credibility of the legislature as a whole,” she said.

In recent weeks, Wallner had also joined New Hampshire House Democratic Leader Renny Cushing in issuing a letter to Packard, urging him to remove Weyler from his leadership role on the committee and “replace him with a member who respects science and the employees of state departments.”

Rep. William Marsh, who became a Democrat last month after citing a prevailing view among GOP colleagues to oppose masks and vaccines, told The Daily Beast on Tuesday that he agrees with Sununu’s call to replace Weyler but has concerns over who could steer the committee toward science.

“It’s a problem because competence seems to be a disqualification at this point in time, it’s sad, it’s very sad,” Marsh said.

“I wish he had spoken up two weeks ago,” Marsh added separately of Sununu in an email. “I would hope to be proved wrong, but one of the reasons I changed my party affiliation is I no longer believe Republicans are willing to hold their members accountable.”

Sununu, who has called himself as “pro-vaccine as they come,” has also said that he opposed mandating coronavirus vaccines, after President Biden announced plans to require vaccines for state and federal workers.

The calls for stripping Weyler of his leadership role come weeks after the lawmaker sought to undermine the state’s Health Commissioner Lori Shibinette at a committee hearing where she requested federal funds be used to expand New Hampshire’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout programs. During a committee hearing with Shibinette on Sept. 17, Weyler questioned data from the department on hospitalizations and suggested that the majority of people seeking hospital treatment for the virus were vaccinated.

When Shibinette accused Weyler of spreading misinformation, he doubled down, suggesting that he had been hearing from emergency personnel who could corroborate his claims. A day later, in an interview with New Hampshire Public Radio, Weyler said federal authorities could not be trusted on health matters.

“Many people have sent me links to these things I’ve discussed,” he told NHPR in an interview published on Sept. 22 “I’ve seen links from reports from all sorts of credible sources. But [Shibinette] is just listening to the CDC as far as I can see. And I don’t consider the CDC a credible source, or Dr. Fauci a credible source.”

The New Hampshire House’s communications director, Jennifer Tramp, told The Daily Beast at the time that state House Speaker Sherman Packard, a Republican, had addressed Weyler’s comments with him directly—but that hasn’t stopped him from spewing false information.

Neither Tramp nor Packard immediately responded to a request for comment in light of the fresh wave of calls for Weyler’s removal on Tuesday, but Packard told NHPR in a statement: “It is not uncommon, whether one agrees or disagrees with the content, for a committee chair to share constituent information with committee members.”

How in the heck does such an idiot get elected in the first place?  He’s sounds completely whacko.  Is it still democracy if some people don’t get to vote?  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

Knew it.

5G Octopus Aliens. 

All you Calamari eaters are doomed. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, stawns said:

mu understanding is that was a very very small sample size and it has not been peer reviewed

Here is the peer reviewed article with the same data.  The sample size they used was almost 3,500,000 health records...

Researchers analyzed 3,436,957 electronic health records from the Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC) health system between Dec. 4, 2020, and Aug. 8, 2021, 

The Lancet: Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vacc | EurekAlert!

The Lancet: Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine are highly effective against COVID-19 hospitalizations for at least six months

Peer-Reviewed Publication

THE LANCET

Two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech (BNT162b2) are 90% effective against COVID-19 hospitalizations for all variants, including delta, for at least six months, confirms a new study from Kaiser Permanente and Pfizer published in The Lancet

Effectiveness against all SARS-COV-2 infections declined over the study period, falling from 88% within one month after receiving two vaccine doses to 47% after six months. However, effectiveness against hospitalizations remained at 90% overall and for all variants.

These findings are consistent with preliminary reports from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) [1] and the Israel Ministry of Health [2] that found reductions of BNT162b2 against infection after approximately six months.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Effectiveness against all SARS-COV-2 infections declined over the study period, falling from 88% within one month after receiving two vaccine doses to 47% after six months. However, effectiveness against hospitalizations remained at 90% overall and for all variants.

Once again confirming that vaccinated people can catch covid, as well as confirming the vaccine is keeping people from getting really sick and going to hospital.

• Cheers 3

Report: Evander Kane Accused of Using Fake Vaccination Card

An investigation is underway of San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane over allegations he violated the NHL’s COVID-19 protocols by using a fake vaccination card.

Evander Kane

According to A.J. Perez of Front Office Sports, an investigation is underway of San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane over allegations he violated the NHL’s COVID-19 protocols by using a fake vaccination card.

The act is illegal in both Canada and the United States. In the United States, someone who buys a fake COVID-19 vaccination can be sent to jail for put to six months and forced to pay a fine up to $750,000.

The news comes a week after reports surfaced that Kane was being investigated for violating the NHL's COVID-19 protocols. While the league hasn't made sanctions against using fake COVID-19 cards a public topic, the NHL is cracking down on Coronavirus violations this season in a big way.

This news comes after the NHL cleared Kane of allegations by his estranged wife that he bet on his own games. However, the league is currently investigating abuse claims, also made by Anna Kane.

Kane is not currently participating in Sharks' training camp.

Edited by nuckin_futz

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Report: Evander Kane Accused of Using Fake Vaccination Card

An investigation is underway of San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane over allegations he violated the NHL’s COVID-19 protocols by using a fake vaccination card.

Evander Kane

According to A.J. Perez of Front Office Sports, an investigation is underway of San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane over allegations he violated the NHL’s COVID-19 protocols by using a fake vaccination card.

The act is illegal in both Canada and the United States. In the United States, someone who buys a fake COVID-19 vaccination can be sent to jail for put to six months and forced to pay a fine up to $750,000.

The news comes a week after reports surfaced that Kane was being investigated for violating the NHL's COVID-19 protocols. While the league hasn't made sanctions against using fake COVID-19 cards a public topic, the NHL is cracking down on Coronavirus violations this season in a big way.

This news comes after the NHL cleared Kane of allegations by his estranged wife that he bet on his own games. However, the league is currently investigating abuse claims, also made by Anna Kane.

Kane is not currently participating in Sharks' training camp.

Ya he's so done.  russia is literally his next stop.  maybe a swedish league

But for North America, he's burned way to many bridges and I just have the funny feeling that the Sharts are rubbing their hands at this news waiting to get out from under his contract

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ya he's so done.  russia is literally his next stop.  maybe a swedish league

But for North America, he's burned way to many bridges and I just have the funny feeling that the Sharts are rubbing their hands at this news waiting to get out from under his contract

Hearing him speak and clearly he’s a pretty bright person.  But man alive does he ever choose to do dumb things.  

15 hours ago, gurn said:

image.jpeg.4febb69067b93514841f5d355539f221.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DickProenneke said:

Yah I’m all for vaccinations, but mandating them on kids that are 5 years old, I’ll be pulling my child out of school. I would never jab my child with that vaccine. Sorry not sorry. 

So you are not all for vaccines, then.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, gurn said:

sadly thats not the weirdest thing we've heard out of the anit-vaxxer crowd

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DickProenneke said:

Yah I’m all for vaccinations, but mandating them on kids that are 5 years old, I’ll be pulling my child out of school. I would never jab my child with that vaccine. Sorry not sorry. 

what about mumps, measles, rubella, polio etc etc?  I assume you're not vaxxing for those either?

• Vintage 2

Just now, DickProenneke said:

Do you have children ? 

I sure as hell do.  My kids have both been asked if they want it.  One said yes one said no.  It is their choice.  As a parent I have raised my kids to be informed, to understand the choices, risks and benefits to decisions.  Forcing MY choice on them to either get or not get the vaccine is literally, LITERALLY what your argument and the arguments of many opposed to vaccines are opposed to.

They refuse to allow the government to mandate their body, but they will mandate that of their kids.  Think on that before robbing them of, or forcing them to make a choice based on your wishes.

Before you repeat yourself or come back with a "my child is only X" my kids are 10 and 13 and they get to make the choice based on their wishes not mine.  

3 minutes ago, DickProenneke said:

Not allowed talking about mandates for children ? I’m fully vaccinated. I’m talking about CHILDREN. Do you have children ? 

Also, what are you more amiable towards for kids

An injected vaccine.  or an oral vaccine in pill form?  Super curious

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pfizer-merck-launch-new-trials-of-oral-covid-19-drugs-1.5569783

Edited by Warhippy