The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

We return to regularly scheduled programing.

I don't know if I could go months without smell/taste.

https://www.vcuhealth.org/news/covid-19/those-under-40-are-more-likely-than-older-adults-to-recover-covid-related-smell-and-taste-loss

Those under 40 more likely than older adults to recover COVID-related smell and taste loss

Ongoing survey tracking smell and taste recovery of COVID-19 survivors shows 4 out of every 5 recover senses within 6 months.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

We return to regularly scheduled programing.

I don't know if I could go months without smell/taste.

https://www.vcuhealth.org/news/covid-19/those-under-40-are-more-likely-than-older-adults-to-recover-covid-related-smell-and-taste-loss

Those under 40 more likely than older adults to recover COVID-related smell and taste loss

Ongoing survey tracking smell and taste recovery of COVID-19 survivors shows 4 out of every 5 recover senses within 6 months.

An under appreciated long term hazard. Very hard to tell that your clam chowder has gone bad if you can't smell or taste it.

Would not be surprised to see incidents of food poisoning on the rise.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

This is terrible... from the Facebook group that tracks covid exposures in schools:

"So where were we this time last year? I looked at our archives and this was our exposure count on Oct 6, 2020. We had 101 exposure events vs. 1036 yesterday. Last year at this time we had 84 schools with Covid vs. 441 schools with covid so far this year! "

So comparing Oct 6 2020 vs Oct 6 2021:

101 vs 1036 exposure events

84 schools vs 441 schools

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Also, what are you more amiable towards for kids

An injected vaccine.  or an oral vaccine in pill form?  Super curious

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pfizer-merck-launch-new-trials-of-oral-covid-19-drugs-1.5569783

There is work to do still on vaccines for the young.

When settled, proven safe, its as likely to be mandatory as it is for essential workers. 

• Cheers 1

And this is the "credible expert" testimony the A-V side is drumming up 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-vaccine-disinformation-dawson-creek-1.6201246

The presentation in question was made by a woman who, in local small business listings, identifies herself as the owner of an "alternative clinic" that uses "energy healing" and "psychic readings," along with herbal teas and essential oils, to help clients.

While presenting to council, she said she was a "molecular biologist," without specifying her credentials. She falsely called the vaccines a "genetic experiment" with a high fatality rate, when the reality is they are the result of years of research and have been safely distributed to millions of people worldwide after passing multiple clinical trials.

At the end of the presentation, the mayor thanked the woman for her time, and she thanked him for hearing her out.

And that, thought Bumstead, was the end of it. Council later voted to follow public health guidelines and adjourned.

Afterwards, city staff did what they do with every meeting: they uploaded it to the city's YouTube page, where the woman's presentation took on a life of its own.

Exploiting 'a fake expert'

At first, people just shared a direct link to the entire council meeting. But before long, some users started extracting the woman's presentation and sharing it on its own. One YouTube user with more than 21,000 subscribers clipped her speech and uploaded it to their channel, where it has racked up more than 200,000 views.

The video has also been posted to Twitter, TikTok and Facebook, as well as to alternative sites popular among anti-vaccine users. In most posts, the woman is referred to as a molecular biologist, while in some she is wrongly identified as a doctor. Few mention her true profession as a natural healer and psychic.

Disinformation expert Ahmed Al-Rawi said this is a common technique among anti-vaccine groups — inflating or inventing the credentials of people speaking out against public health measures in an effort to give their viewpoints a false sense of credibility.

"They bring in a fake expert who will provide contrary evidence to what the scientific consensus is to cast doubt on the validity of public health policies," he said.

dawson-creek-council-meeting-sept-2-disi
One portion of the Dawson Creek city council meeting spreading COVID-19 disinformation has been viewed more than 200,000 times on YouTube, and has also been posted on Facebook, Twitter and TikTok. (YouTube)

Al-Rawi compared the technique to past efforts to undermine consensus science surrounding climate change or the dangers of smoking. People can search the internet for videos like the Dawson Creek council meeting that can be re-purposed to serve their needs.

"They cherry-pick information … in order to convince others that they are right."

Al-Rawi said the presence of the video on the city's official website lent it additional credibility, as did the appearance of Dawson Creek's logo and the fact that the presenter was speaking inside council chambers. Without context around why she was being allowed to speak, he said, the setting added a sense of legitimacy to what she was saying, no matter how incorrect the content.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

There is work to do still on vaccines for the young.

When settled, proven safe, its as likely to be mandatory as it is for essential workers. 

I asked that because the data shows the human body has a far harder time processing pills than it does injections but people on the anti vaxx side have stepped up to support an oral form vs an injected vaccine without issue and I can not understand why

• Cheers 1

Update in Melbourne. Part in parcel; we do not have Covid passports yet, considered an inevitability? 

Read an article that 84% of the Chamber of Commerce voted that govt make mandated vaccine policy a govt policy decision. ie not a decision a individual business owner had to make. It eliminates potential wrongful dismissal / discrimination claims anti vaxers could make. And claims a employer was not providing a safe working environment if allowing unvaccinated employee's, customers, trades, business partners...       

Then boom; we have mandatory vaccines.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

This is terrible... from the Facebook group that tracks covid exposures in schools:

"So where were we this time last year? I looked at our archives and this was our exposure count on Oct 6, 2020. We had 101 exposure events vs. 1036 yesterday. Last year at this time we had 84 schools with Covid vs. 441 schools with covid so far this year! "

So comparing Oct 6 2020 vs Oct 6 2021:

101 vs 1036 exposure events

84 schools vs 441 schools

to be fair, I think they were playing fast and loose with reporting last year because they didn't want to shut down.  I know several schools in my district last year that had cases that didn't not have publically reported exposure events

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

to be fair, I think they were playing fast and loose with reporting last year because they didn't want to shut down.  I know several schools in my district last year that had cases that didn't not have publically reported exposure events

Unfortunately no different this year.  My network of PVP across Vancouver Island alone has reported plenty of exposures that were never made public.  In fact, I'd say the reporting has been even more loose this year than last due to less exposure letters being produced.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Unfortunately no different this year.  My network of PVP across Vancouver Island alone has reported plenty of exposures that were never made public.  In fact, I'd say the reporting has been even more loose this year than last due to less exposure letters being produced.

for the first month, for sure.  We had 3x as many cases in the first two weeks of this year than we had all of last year and no one knew.  Not teachers, not ea's, not parents, not kids.

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2021, 88.4% (4,098,733) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 81.9% (3,797,462) received their second dose.

In addition, 88.9% (3,845,695) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 82.7% (3,575,790) received their second dose.

B.C. is reporting 752 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 191,124 cases in the province.

There are 5,945 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 182,786 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 350 individuals are in hospital and 136 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.

The new/active cases include:

• 297 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,349
  • 85 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 824
  • 164 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 1,142
  • 130 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 829
  • 76 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 743
  • No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 58

In the past 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,992.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: five
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: three
  • Island Health: one

There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health). The outbreaks at The Hamlets at Westsyde (Interior Health) and Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health) have been declared over, for a total of 18 active outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor and Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre (Fraser Health);
  • Cottonwoods Care Centre, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station (Interior Health);
  • Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health); and
  • Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health).

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
  • University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health); and
  • Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).
  • assisted or independent living:
  • Sunset Manor (Fraser Health); and
  • Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).

From Sept. 28-Oct. 4, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 70.2% of cases and from Sept. 21-Oct. 4, they accounted for 77.6% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Sept. 28-Oct. 4) – Total 4,894

• Not vaccinated: 3,117 (63.7%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 316 (6.5%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,461 (29.9%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 21-Oct. 4) – Total 420

• Not vaccinated: 291 (69.3%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 35 (8.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 94 (22.4%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 28-Oct. 4)

• Not vaccinated: 296.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 89.0
  • Fully vaccinated: 35.5

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 21-Oct. 4)

• Not vaccinated: 44.0
  • Partially vaccinated: 16.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 2.1

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,908,832 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0060-001929

• Thanks 1