The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What about religious and cultural reasons?

Medical reasons that don’t fall under their list?

I don’t think cutting off people’s own money is the answer. What about the poor kids of these people who have made poor choices? Should they suffer too?

My opinion is EI is a right that shouldn’t ever be taken away. That’s not gonna change.

I agree with you on many things, but not this.  I have no empathy for these people anymore and we need to tighten the screws on them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think cutting off people’s own money is the answer. What about the poor kids of these people who have made poor choices? Should they suffer too?

My opinion is EI is a right that shouldn’t ever be taken away. That’s not gonna change.

if its protected under the charter, you're fine. If not, you have no standing. If

The gov't can't fix bad parenting, but they can do what they can to protect people in the workplace.

I get that you think its unfair, but losing EI is a hell of a lot less severe of an outcome than what can happen with covid.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

These people will still get punished by losing their job.

Giving them a financial buffer so that they don’t end up homeless and having us paying for them isn’t giving them that much.

Everyone should be entitled to EI if they’ve paid into it. It shouldn’t be used as a political pawn.

its not political.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There is no good, non medical reason to not get vaxxed in a global pandemic.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

which part do you think isn't at thing?

The part where employers change the terms of your employment while you’re working there which causes you to be fired.

I don’t think that’s their fault. If they’re so strongly anti vaccine and they knew about that rule before they took the job they probably wouldn’t have taken it.

Im not supporting people who are anti vaccine I just question when the government starts changing the rules like this.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The part where employers change the terms of your employment while you’re working there which causes you to be fired.

I don’t think that’s their fault. If they’re so strongly anti vaccine and they knew about that rule before they took the job they probably wouldn’t have taken it.

Im not supporting people who are anti vaccine I just question when the government starts changing the rules like this.

I get that, its a legitimate concern. Its my understanding that an employer can change duties and requirements of your job at any time, as long as its not discriminatory (under the Charter). Just like they can fire you at any time with no cause as long as you get your severance.

Edited by JM_

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if its protected under the charter, you're fine. If not, you have no standing. If

The gov't can't fix bad parenting, but they can do what they can to protect people in the workplace.

I get that you think its unfair, but losing EI is a hell of a lot less severe of an outcome than what can happen with covid.

All EI does is give you a bit of time to find another job.

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to let these people go find other work if they’re adamant about not getting the vaccine.

You cant just shun these people from society. Unfortunately they’re not going anywhere. I’d rather not pay for their welfare because they’re out of work.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

All EI does is give you a bit of time to find another job.

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to let these people go find other work if they’re adamant about not getting the vaccine.

You cant just shun these people from society. Unfortunately they’re not going anywhere. I’d rather not pay for their welfare because they’re out of work.

As a taxpayer though, why should I have to pay for their choice? thats not fair to every other taxpayer.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Because the government is doing it to make headlines.

well, thats your take on it. Applying more pressure to get more people vaccinated is the main goal, which is a healthcare concern.

Just now, DeNiro said:

The people who haven’t gotten the vaccine are already dug in. You think this will make a difference at this point?

It might.

• Vintage 1

Just now, JM_ said:

As a taxpayer though, why should I have to pay for their choice? thats not fair to every other taxpayer.

You will be paying for their choice through welfare though.

You wouldn’t if they’re getting EI, which is my point.

• Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

You will be paying for their choice through welfare though.

You wouldn’t if they’re getting EI, which is my point.

thats a fair point. On a cost-basis you're probably correct, it would be cheaper to let them collect EI vs dipping into the welfare system.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because the government is doing it to make headlines.

The people who haven’t gotten the vaccine are already dug in. You think this will make a difference at this point?

I don't think so.  I think we all want to get out of this ASAP and these people are standing in our way

• Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’re not talking about welfare we’re talking about EI. Something that everyone who works pays into (essentially your own money)

It should not be denied to anyone who is out of work no matter what the reason.

This is not actually giving people a choice if you’re saying get the vaccine or end up homeless.

I don't believe you are eligible for either if you quit or are fired with cause.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so.  I think we all want to get out of this ASAP and these people are standing in our way

And I don’t think this measure will move the needle at all.

Honestly if being fired isn’t enough, and having your movement restricted isn’t enough, and having your ability to enjoy things in society limited isn’t enough. Somehow this will?

Sadly ignorant people are often stubborn. We have to accept that unless you’re going to physically force these people to get vaccinated we’re never going to reach 100%. If that’s the strategy they’re hoping for I’m a little concerned.

Edited by DeNiro