Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

So lets do some actual comparisons, metro Tokyo with Coastal Health numbers, which is about as close as we can get for city to city comparisons.

 

Tokyo's current test positivity rate has been falling, and is now about 1%. It was 2.2% on Oct 1st. (https://stopcovid19.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/en/cards/positive-rate/)

 

Coastal Health's positivity rate is currently 2.5% (https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/a6f23959a8b14bfa989e3cda29297ded)

 

So basically Vancouver is where Tokyo was less than 2 weeks ago.

 

Our covid problem is suburban and rural, and with those who still refuse basic science and a safe, cost effective prevention method. Opening things back up to let these folks continue to do damage is not the answer, and comparing our suburban and rural people to Toyko e.g. is a false analogy. Our cities are doing about the same as Japanese cities are already.

  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

 

who cares? this is the US system at its finest. If they don't like it, they can sue. 

Gee. Lets not hold the pharmaceutical industry which is being mandated on all of us to too high a standard now. Different country - still affects us. They were and still are pushing for general public booster shots before that idea was shot down by the FDA citing too many unknowns. This still hasn't been ruled out indefinitely. It wasn't long people here scoffed when I said that these guys have obviously huge financial incentive to push all sorts of crap on the public, whether needed or not, as they clearly, obviously, influence those same politicians financially whom make the rules for us. First, it was the booster shots unsupported by peer reviewed science. Then it was hoarding the patent on the vaccines. Then stories like this only adds credence to that. No, it's not conspiracy. That's all right there in front of your face reported by corporate media surprisingly.. selectively anyway.

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gee. Lets not hold the pharmaceutical industry which is being mandated on all of us to too high a standard now. Different country - still affects us. They were and still are pushing for general public booster shots before that idea was shot down by the FDA citing too many unknowns. This still hasn't been ruled out indefinitely. It wasn't long people here scoffed when I said that these guys have obviously huge financial incentive to push all sorts of crap on the public, whether needed or not, as they clearly, obviously, influence those same politicians financially whom make the rules for us. First, it was the booster shots unsupported by peer reviewed science. Then it was hoarding the patent on the vaccines. Then stories like this only adds credence to that. No, it's not conspiracy. That's all right there in front of your face reported by corporate media surprisingly.. selectively anyway.

nothings being mandated on you. Don't take the pills, or the vaccine, thats on you.

 

Booster shots are a good idea and are already happening in some long term care homes in BC.

 

This idea that the Pharma industry is inherently bad because it makes money is ridiculous. By that standard everything in our economy is evil. 

  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

nothings being mandated on you. Don't take the pills, or the vaccine, thats on you.

 

Booster shots are a good idea and are already happening in some long term care homes in BC.

 

This idea that the Pharma industry is inherently bad because it makes money is ridiculous. By that standard everything in our economy is evil. 

Lots of vaccines require a booster.  Don't get why the antivaxxers are so upset with Covid Vaccines in this (or any really) matter.  

  • Vintage 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gee. Lets not hold the pharmaceutical industry which is being mandated on all of us to too high a standard now. 

OK so here's the report the so-called cost is based on: https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/melissabarber/files/estimated_cost-based_generic_prices_for_molnupiravir_for_the_treatment_of_covid-19_infection.pdf

 

Its a bit of a misuse of the information in the story you posted. This is a theoretical costing of what a generic manufacturer might be able to charge for making the same drug. But that cost to make by the generic company doesn't take in to account the cost of the clinical trial, or the massive insurance costs in the US.

 

Is Merck likely overcharging? Sure they are, and they should be held to account. But 40X is not a realistic comparison at all. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

nothings being mandated on you. Don't take the pills, or the vaccine, thats on you.

 

Booster shots are a good idea and are already happening in some long term care homes in BC.

 

This idea that the Pharma industry is inherently bad because it makes money is ridiculous. By that standard everything in our economy is evil. 

Wrong. Being fired from your job is a forced mandate, coercion, extortion; don't be daft asserting that's not what it is. Here, Merck is taking your tax dollars (Americans) and then selling back to you a product at 40x the mark up. Explain how that is ethical, moral, even remotely responsible. We won't get into the history of them knowingly producing carcinogenic consumer products since you'll have a tough enough time explaining away the previous question. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Alflives said:

Lots of vaccines require a booster.  Don't get why the antivaxxers are so upset with Covid Vaccines in this (or any really) matter.  

I'm looking forward to my mom getting it in a few weeks. We have too many idiots out there that don't mind risking her life. 

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Wrong. Being fired from your job is a forced mandate, coercion, extortion; don't be daft asserting that's not what it is. Here,

nope. Thats the consequences of your personal choices. Sucks for you if you don't like them, but again, its all about you and your choices. 

 

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

 

Merck is taking your tax dollars (Americans) and then selling back to you a product at 40x the mark up. Explain how that is ethical, moral, even remotely responsible. We won't get into the history of them knowingly producing carcinogenic consumer products since you'll have a tough enough time explaining away the previous question. 

 

Most medical companies "take" tax dollars in the form of R&D grants. Much of it goes right down the crapper for things that don't make it through trials. 

 

I explained above why 40X isn't really a thing. 

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

OK so here's the report the so-called cost is based on: https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/melissabarber/files/estimated_cost-based_generic_prices_for_molnupiravir_for_the_treatment_of_covid-19_infection.pdf

 

Its a bit of a misuse of the information in the story you posted. This is a theoretical costing of what a generic manufacturer might be able to charge for making the same drug. But that cost to make by the generic company doesn't take in to account the cost of the clinical trial, or the massive insurance costs in the US.

 

Is Merck likely overcharging? Sure they are, and they should be held to account. But 40X is not a realistic comparison at all. 

35 times according to that article, sorry, huge discrepancy; nothing to look at here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

nope. Thats the consequences of your personal choices. Sucks for you if you don't like them, but again, its all about you and your choices. 

 

 

Most medical companies "take" tax dollars in the form of R&D grants. Much of it goes right down the crapper for things that don't make it through trials. 

 

I explained above why 40X isn't really a thing. 

Yes. Extortion. Pay me or I'll break your knee caps. You don't have to, but there's consequences. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

35 times according to that article, sorry, huge discrepancy; nothing to look at here. 

generics don't have the cost of clinical trials, or the sunk costs for R&D development for the drugs that didn't work, and they don't have the cost of US insurance.

 

If you want to have a rational discussion lets do that but these types of hair on fire stories just mislead people, and leads to mistrust of safe and effective treatments.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Wrong. Being fired from your job is a forced mandate, coercion, extortion; don't be daft asserting that's not what it is. Here, Merck is taking your tax dollars (Americans) and then selling back to you a product at 40x the mark up. Explain how that is ethical, moral, even remotely responsible. We won't get into the history of them knowingly producing carcinogenic consumer products since you'll have a tough enough time explaining away the previous question. 

Not even close. It's a choice with options you may not like but that doesn't mean it isn't a choice. You people whine an complain but you've just never had to make a tough choice before that you don't want to make. 

 

Merck is also giving you yet another choice/option. The answer is it's not ethical or moral for them to give that choice the way they are in any system other than capitalism. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

generics don't have the cost of clinical trials, or the sunk costs for R&D development for the drugs that didn't work, and they don't have the cost of US insurance.

 

If you want to have a rational discussion lets do that but these types of hair on fire stories just mislead people, and leads to mistrust of safe and effective treatments.

Doubling down on a stupid position against those you perceive to be "anti-vax", huh. Never thought I'd see a liberal such as yourself defend big pharma practices by 40x mark up of an alleged life saving treatment during a pandemic in an effort to make godly profits. It's about making as much profit as possible; not covering R&D costs. Quit being so daft, seriously, you're not even part of this 'big club' making record bank.. 

 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

cost of freedom, suck it up buttercup.

 

/s

Thanks for conceding to my point. 

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, EOTM said:

Not even close. It's a choice with options you may not like but that doesn't mean it isn't a choice. You people whine an complain but you've just never had to make a tough choice before that you don't want to make. 

 

Merck is also giving you yet another choice/option. The answer is it's not ethical or moral for them to give that choice the way they are in any system other than capitalism. 

 

 

You're wrong. Extortion is precisely what it is. There is no option when the option is living on the street, you goof. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Doubling down on a stupid position against those you perceive to be "anti-vax", huh. Never thought I'd see a liberal such as yourself defend big pharma practices by 40x mark up of an alleged life saving treatment during a pandemic in an effort to make godly profits. It's about making as much profit as possible; not covering R&D costs. Quit being so daft, seriously, you're not even part of this 'big club' making record bank.. 

 

you don't really know what you're talking about, but thats OK. Keep seeing shadows.

 

I'm not defending pharma, I'm pointing out that what you posted was wrong. There's a legit discussion to be had, its just what you're bringing as evidence isn't credible. 

 

 

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Thanks for conceding to my point. 

Is that what I did? I thought it was clear I was pointing out you don't want to live with the consequences of your own actions. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...