The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

After a few pages of this back and forth regarding EI, I have a question:

Does anyone have a link to any government official suggesting that non vaccinated people will be denied?

Kind of wondering if most here are arguing/discussing something, that hasn't been proposed by those in  power?

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

After a few pages of this back and forth regarding EI, I have a question:

Does anyone have a link to any government official suggesting that non vaccinated people will be denied?

Kind of wondering if most here are arguing/discussing something, that hasn't been proposed by those in  power?

This link is to a story quoting Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough speaking about it.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/dont-expect-ei-lose-job-222649057.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=ma

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Then I agree with Hippy, and let me opt out and self-insure (yeah, I know that's not going to be allowed).  But, realistically, the E word is what it is all about.

Unemployment benefits, by design, have a limited period and limited benefit amount (until you have idiots like our Dems down here who jacked it up due to Covid, and now can't figure out why prices are rising and people aren't rushing back to work).  It's only a way of life if you get back to work and earn more benefits and re-apply, at which point most people realize they are better off working than if they aren't.  That's putting aside those that think guaranteed income is the way to go, but then (oddly enough) most of them are the same that would support preventing the unemployment benefits we're talking about.  A little ironical, perhaps.

That's such a bullsh!t argument.  The problem is people don't want jobs that don't pay a living wage.  As the baby boomers finally exit the job market, it's an employee dream.........better jobs for better pay are going to be readily available for the first time since the boomers entered the job market.

Small businesses are going to have to adjust and that means owners are going to be working longer hours on more menial tasks if they want their businesses to survive.

• Cheers 4

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd wager he got his employment "information" from the same sites as other stuff. Jesus, people are paying a high price for a social media driven life.

Lots of stupid people out there, who rely on Losers on the Internet to guide their lives.  From eating horse dewormer, to huffing bleach, to ingesting fish tank cleaner, these Covid idiots, have to be the most stupid people EVER!  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Everyone who argues it’s a slippery slope to deny unvaxxed unemployment insurance and use other personal unhealthy choices like drugs, alcohol, overeating and smoking as an argument that the unvaxxed are in the same position never mention the elephant in the room. This disease is infectious. It spreads through others. There’s no limit to how far it spreads and the problems it causes.

We already ban smoking around businesses not because it’s a negative personal choice the person made and we want to prevent it, but because those consequences are felt by other people through second hand smoke. A negative impact felt by innocent people is regulated to prevent harm from spreading. I’m sure many here think that’s government overreach and an affront against their personal freedom too. You can choose to disregard the rules and then potentially face the consequences of your actions. COVID is no different.

If people want to talk about a slippery slope argument how about letting anyone quit and get EI because the rules surrounding their job changes. How about letting someone who’s fired for not performing their work duties get EI. If you let the unvaxxed do this what’s to say someone who doesn’t like wearing steel toed boots in a construction site or someone who doesn’t like their new boss or someone who doesn’t want to start answering the phone as a new duty decide to leave their job and go on EI? How much are we as taxpayers on the hook for then?

There are also already restrictions on EI. You must have worked between 420-700 hours of insurable employment based on the unemployment rate in your area during the qualifying period to be eligible. You have to have been without work for at least 7 consecutive days. You must have lost your job through no fault of your own. You must actively be looking for work. You must be willing and capable to work. You must report bi-weekly on your job hunt status. You can’t get EI if you voluntarily left your job without cause. You can’t get EI if you were dismissed for misconduct. You can’t get EI if you’re participating in a labor dispute. You can’t get EI if you’re in prison.

People seem to want everyone to be able to make choices without feeling any consequences from their actions and that literally means living in a lawless society. You can either have an imperfect democracy with restrictions and consequences for not following them or you can have anarchy.

100% agree with your post. I mean Italian government decided several months ago that employee's have to be vaccinated, otherwise they would lose their jobs. They were given 5 days after notification by the employer to get the vaccine.

Most of the people that died because of COVID 19 lived in nursing homes for elderly. There were cases in which the employees that were unvaccinated infected the elderly people and subsequently most of them died. Especially in this case there should have been regulations in place that force employees to get fully vaccinated lets say in summer 2020. Numerous lives could have been saved by such regulations. It's beyond me that goverments in some countries did not put such regulations in place.

Side note:

COVID is still around and the number of cases pile up. Moskau for instance had 1,000 death per day over a span of several days and imposed a lockdown from October 27 until November 8, 2021.

The local hockey team - EHC Red Bull München announced a week ago that 18! players got COVID even though almost all players have been fully vaccinated. Crazy stuff. Yesterday came the news that the headcoach of FC Bayern München - Florian Nagelsmann - got COVID and now he spends some time quarantining. I fully support any action from government which helps to contain this pandemic.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, stawns said:

That's such a bullsh!t argument.  The problem is people don't want jobs that don't pay a living wage.  As the baby boomers finally exit the job market, it's an employee dream.........better jobs for better pay are going to be readily available for the first time since the boomers entered the job market.

Small businesses are going to have to adjust and that means owners are going to be working longer hours on more menial tasks if they want their businesses to survive.

Ahhh, so the higher and extended unemployment benefits, over a year of free rent, and more and more free money from the government has had nothing to do with it.  Riiiight.

Small (and big) businesses are adjusting by raising their prices.  And since prices are rising faster than wages (down here at least), it's a net loss for the community.  Hell, we have fast-food cashiers here being offered 17 an hour now.  But I know, I know, your one of those who feel that any job should provide a living wage.  If it happens organically, fine... that's the free market. But it isn't, so it's not.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lots of stupid people out there, who rely on Losers on the Internet to guide their lives.  From eating horse dewormer, to huffing bleach, to ingesting fish tank cleaner, these Covid idiots, have to be the most stupid people EVER!  

dewormer or defunding.... what a choice.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You've got bat**** beliefs?  No problem!  We'll hire you!  What could go wrong having far right wingnuts with a license to kill? 

Signed Robbie Zepp.

Building a police force who can kill people by breathing on them.  That's one hell of a loophole for police brutality restrictions.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Just an update. Like I said a few months ago, I am still recovering from a covid coma. Been under a year since ICU. Walking was the hardest part to get going but I managed to get my legs under me. If you have any family members get a coma, covid or otherwise, I suggest that you ask for physical therapy immediately for the legs of your family member. This will speed up their recovery time immensely. The extreme loss of muscle mass in 10 days is crazy and also I've figured out is that the atrophy (of prolonged non movement) effects the ligaments too. 

Make sure they get physio afterwards too. 

I don't know but I think even those Dr Ho electrical stimulation would have been good to slow muscle loss. btw muscle loss is really noticed by all the loose skin on the legs and arms. 

I just got out of the hospital after 3 months with a spinal cord injury. I couldn't agree more. I never thought I would walk again but committed physio has got me up and shuffling about. Like you said that 10 days or so leave you with the muscles of a baby. It's mind-blowing really.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 3

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just out of the hospital after 3 months with a spinal cord injury. I couldn't agree more. I never thought I would walk again but committed physio has got me up and shuffling about. Like you said that 10 days or so leave you with the muscles of a baby. It's mind-blowing really.

I know. I was jumping off the sidewalk to race across the street to my car and I thought, hey I couldn't do this before! 

I remember crawling around my place when I got back from the hospital. 

• Cheers 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Monday, Oct. 25, 2021, 89.6% (4,152,455) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 84.4% (3,910,536) have received their second dose.

In addition, 90.0% :towel: (3,893,775) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 85.0% (3,676,200) have received their second dose.

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 1,618 new cases of COVID-19, including 21 epi-linked cases, for a total of 202,516 cases in the province:

• Oct. 22-23: 613 new cases
  • Oct. 23-24: 529 new cases
  • Oct. 24-25: 476 new cases

There are 4,966 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 195,055 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 366 individuals are in hospital and 149 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.

The new/active cases include:

• 699 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,030
  • 190 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 619
  • 254 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 665
  • 289 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 1,042
  • 186 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 551
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 59

In the past 72 hours, 20 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,129.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: four
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: three
  • Interior Health: six
  • Northern Health: four
  • Island Health: three

There have been five new health-care facility outbreaks at Chilliwack General Hospital, Valleyhaven Retirement Community, Harrison Pointe, Norman Manor (Fraser Health) and Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health). The outbreak at Tofino General Hospital (Island Health) has been declared over, for a total of 29 active outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum, Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village, Valleyhaven Retirement Community (Fraser Health);
  • Amica Lions Gate, Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre, Deni House (Interior Health); and
  • Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health);
  • University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital and Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health).

assisted or independent living:

• Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor, Menno Terrace West, The Emerald at Elim Village, Swedish Assisted Living Residence, Harrison Pointe and Norman Manor (Fraser Health).
  • Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,156,567 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0065-002033

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1