The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

29 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I just don't think it's right to be throwing all the blame on the unvaccinated as if they're the only ones keeping this pandemic going on.  

86% of BC' ers 12 and over have had two shots

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 22 to Nov. 4) – Total 460

• Not vaccinated: 297 (64.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 28 (6.1%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 135 (29.3%)

14 percent of the population, the not totally vaxxed ones ones make up 70.7% of the folk in hospital.

So, yah the unvaxxed aren't the only ones; however they are blatantly obviously the largest issue right now.

Like congrats, you are factually correct, but what is your point?

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Twisting YOUR words?  Read my quote again, I wasn't referencing anything that YOU were saying but rather the numbers being published that show the numbers of new infections.  

People that are vaccinated will have a much easier time if/when they get Covid, and that will lower the chance that they go get tested/notice it.  So this will skew the numbers when you're looking at how many new infections are in the vaccinated/unvaccinated population.  

That was my point, I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. 

Let me explain. It felt more like you were piggybacking off of what I said with something I don't believe is happening, at least not to the extent in which you describe it. That's why it felt like you were twisting my words to fit another agenda. It's most likely in the way it was presented in which it had that effect.

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm not trying to find a chink in the armour, vaccines are good and I got mine.  

I just don't think it's right to be throwing all the blame on the unvaccinated as if they're the only ones keeping this pandemic going on.  

Antivaxxers make up 58 of the new hospitalizations, while the vaccinated make up 3.  That’s 58 from 14% of the population and 3 from 86% of the population.  

PThis has been for some time now a pandemic of the antivaxxers.  These fools are the problem.  We should do like Singapore and if an antivaxxer gets ill from Covid they pay their own medical costs, or suffer.  These are stupid, selfish people, who don’t deserve our medical care. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, gurn said:

86% of BC' ers 12 and over have had two shots

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 22 to Nov. 4) – Total 460

• Not vaccinated: 297 (64.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 28 (6.1%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 135 (29.3%)

14 percent of the population, the not totally vaxxed ones ones make up 70.7% of the folk in hospital.

So, yah the unvaxxed aren't the only ones; however they are blatantly obviously the largest issue right now.

Like congrats, you are factually correct, but what is your point?

My point is that all those numbers are SKEWED because vaccines WORK. 

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

Okay, a tip o the hat for you.  You raised a statistic that is not talked about much. How many vaxxed, get COVID, feel just a bit off, and don't bother getting tested.  Meanwhile, an unvaxxed. goes to a protest at City Hall, mingles with the crowd, and of course gets the virus. If it hits hard, he or she notifies the evil overlords in government, and is quickly tested. And hospitalized if necessary.  But counted by the health authorities.

Ok, that's not really fair. Not everyone who is anti-vax is such a fanatic they would stand around in a place like that spreading it everywhere. I mean, there is a select group of such individuals- but if we are going to try to delve into why it is that people are denying a proven method to avoid dying from Covid, it's probably best not to exasperate the issue and paint all such individuals with the same brush or we just risk ostracizing them further and never figuring out what is actually driving them. (Run-on sentence).

He really does bring up a potential point, as much as I hate to admit it. While I think those who are vaxxed are acutely aware of any symptoms and are probably more likely to get checked out than someone who hasn't gotten the vaccine, I'm sure there ARE quite a few people mingling in public who have it and they don't even realize because the vaccine reduced the symptoms to nothing or nearly nothing. 

With that said, at the end of the day, that this wouldn't even matter if the unvaxxed got vaxxed. You are totally right in saying (according to the scientists, anyway) that we are catering to the lowest common denominator thanks to the few remaining ignorant people and that's what is keeping hospitals full and restrictions in place.

Just wake up, people....

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Mossberg said:

Actually that was pretty funny even if you were trying to make fun of me. I don't drink beer thought

I'm not really trying to make fun of you personally, but I do think the outrage being directed at public safety is a bit misguided.

We can talk till we're blue in the face about thing like "freedom" and what that means theoretically, but that shouldn't take precedence over actual health measures that actually save peoples lives.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Antivaxxers make up 58 of the new hospitalizations, while the vaccinated make up 3.  That’s 58 from 14% of the population and 3 from 86% of the population.  

PThis has been for some time now a pandemic of the antivaxxers.  These fools are the problem.  We should do like Singapore and if an antivaxxer gets ill from Covid they pay their own medical costs, or suffer.  These are stupid, selfish people, who don’t deserve our medical care. 

Obese people, alcoholics, drug users. Who else? 

13 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Obese people, alcoholics, drug users. Who else? 

Is there a freely available vaccine for these issues?  Are these issues acute?  Are these contagious?  Huge difference between these lifestyle choices and being an antivaxxer.  Antivaxxers, who are filling our hospital beds, are avoiding a free vaccine.  Their Covid illness is acute.  And they spread disease.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is there a freely available vaccine for these issues?  Are these issues acute?  Are these contagious?  Huge difference between these lifestyle choices and being an antivaxxer.  Antivaxxers, who are filling our hospital beds, are avoiding a free vaccine.  Their Covid illness is acute.  And they spread disease.  

Welcome to the healthcare system we all pay into. I don't agree the government giving my money to crack heads, but they do, just as you don't agree supporting Covid deniers who get sick. It's a pipe dream to think we're going to suddenly exclude people, and is also a slippery slope for other potential exclusions. We're all treated equally here or we're not, and the latter is dangerous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm not trying to find a chink in the armour, vaccines are good and I got mine.  

You are right. That needs clarification.

The unvaccinated are the only ones PURPOSELY keeping this pandemic going on.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

You know what would be better?  Ban their access to social media sites for x number of months/years.

Which is probably impossible to do.

There were vaccine/science deniers during the Spanish Flu pandemic.  And during the Polio and Small Pox vaccinations. The one thing that was missing then was the proliferation and near universal access to SM.  The crazy end-of-the-world nutjobs were restricted to soap boxes on a few corners.  As well, there wasn't a means for other more disgusting but smarter people to take advantage for both political reasons, to cause chaos, and make a ruling party managing the pandemic weaker.  Or simply to gain viewers and make money.  Nothing like a good car crash to have people slow down and take a look. I used to respect Joe Rogan but I'm appalled at the way he plays up to the anti-vax neanderthals who listen to his show.

I find it scary how easily people can be brainwashed by clever operatives, whether for political or financial reasons through SM.  I think that that is the real threat in our present day society.  One thing Hitler was right about, you tell a lie big enough, and often enough, people will start to believe it.  My little sister and her husband have been vaccinated, due to their jobs mostly, but b&$@h all the time about the "poison" put in their arms. They are Trump supporters, of course. They are glued to daily video talks from one of his shills Dennis Prager who recently got COVID himself.  I honestly think that the algorithms used to feed folks what they already are watching, even if its taking them further and further down a rabbit hole, and the wild west nature of the internet landscape for troll farms and paid sh$% disturbers to operate is the ultimate cause.

Of course there's always actual TV. People like Tucker Carlson with his furrowed brow.  Just asking questions. Like "How worried should you be about.......x?  Maybe very worried"   What harm is there in that?   So when you add that kind of irresponsible TV broadcasting to the SM influence, so many gullible folks are caught up in it.

I feel your sentiment though. My patience is running thinner by the day. One does wonder just how many anti-vaxers would be so quick to resist a vaccine, go to superspreader protests, would be so voluntarily ignorant, if we did not have universal healthcare in this country, and everyone else didn't have to pay for their selfishness and wilful ignorance.

Edited by kilgore
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1