The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021, 90.7% (4,206,179) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 86.9% (4,027,146) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.2% (3,942,820) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 87.4% (3,782,092) have received their second dose.

B.C. is reporting 324 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 213,682 cases in the province.

There are 3,380 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 207,779 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 379 individuals are in hospital and 109 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 108 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 1,221
  • 60 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 492
  • 50 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 622
  • 73 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 507
  • 33 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 479
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 59

In the last 24 hours, seven new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,281.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: two
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: two
  • Northern Health: two
  • Island Health: one

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreak at Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health) has been declared over, for a total of 22 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Queens Park Care Centre, Rosemary Heights Seniors Village, Tabor Home, Cascade Gardens, Maplewood House, George Derby Centre, Dufferin Care Centre (Fraser Health);
  • Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Village by the Station, Brocklehurst Gemstone Care Centre, Sun Pointe Village (Interior Health);
  • Peace Villa (Northern Health); and
  • Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence (Island Health).

acute care:

• Queen’s Park Care Centre, Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Burnaby Hospital, Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health);
  • Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health); and
  • Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (Island Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Harrison Pointe, The Cedars and Revera Parkwood Manor (Fraser Health).

There has been one new outbreak at M.V. Beattie Elementary school (Interior Health).

From Nov. 9-15, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 60.8% of cases.

From Nov. 2-15, they accounted for 71.9% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Nov. 9-15) – Total 3,133

• Not vaccinated: 1,755 (56.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 149 (4.8%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,229 (39.2%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Nov. 2-15) – Total 342

• Not vaccinated: 219 (64.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 27 (7.9%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 96 (28.1%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 9-15)    

• Not vaccinated: 223.3
  • Partially vaccinated: 62.7
  • Fully vaccinated: 27.9

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 2-15)

• Not vaccinated: 45.4
  • Partially vaccinated: 17.0
  • Fully vaccinated: 2.1

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,471,017 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0073-002192

• Thanks 2

Canada will be dropping the requirement for a negative PCR test for trips shorter than 72 hours at the end of November or the beginning of December. I’m speculating here but I think it might even be sooner with all the supply chain issues from the flood. This will be great news for businesses in Pt. Roberts, Sumas, Bellingham etc.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8380444/canadian-government-negative-pcr-test-cross-border-trips-us/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Canada will be dropping the requirement for a negative PCR test for trips shorter than 72 hours at the end of November or the beginning of December. I’m speculating here but I think it might even be sooner with all the supply chain issues from the flood. This will be great news for businesses in Pt. Roberts, Sumas, Bellingham etc.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8380444/canadian-government-negative-pcr-test-cross-border-trips-us/

I think we are at about 92% of adults who have figured it out that Covid is very bad and these vaccines are very good.  With that high % it’s time to start easing up on the bit.  Not too much though.  Just a gentle and slow release of tension.  We don’t want to have to rein back in.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we are at about 92% of adults who have figured it out that Covid is very bad and these vaccines are very good.  With that high % it’s time to start easing up on the bit.  Not too much though.  Just a gentle and slow release of tension.  We don’t want to have to rein back in.  

I agree but this one is a bit of a no-brainer. For a day trip across the line a person would need to get a pcr test two days before crossing. That just doesn’t make sense since it only shows you were negative before taking the risk, not after.

so we found out there's been several cases in my school today, but the staff was never informed and we only found put via grapevine.  I am 50, most of our staff is in that age range which means we all have parents in their late 70's or 80's and some of us have grandparents in the mid 90's.  I'd really like to have that information, for my own safety, but mostly so I can adjust my behaviour outside of school regarding visiting parents etc.  The staff is deeply upset by this turn of events and is calling into question all our in school activities, especially after being pressured to resume face to face staff meetings.

We've already lost a hard core anti-vax covid in the last month (given the virus by his 8 year old daughter) and now we have an entire hard core anti-vax family infected and apparently quite ill.  I'm at the end of my rope with this situation

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

53 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

Maybe you need better headlines?

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/blood-clots-up-to-10-times-more-common-with-covid

Blood clots up to 10 times more common with COVID than vaccines: Study

Research has identified the various risks of people experiencing cerebral venous thrombosis, which has been linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Graph showing varying risks of CVT. People who contract COVID-19 are 100 times more likely to experience cerebral venous thrombosis than the general population.

People who contract COVID-19 are also 100 times more likely to experience cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) than the general population, a new pre-print Oxford University study has found.

The research, conducted in the wake of numerous high-profile clotting cases linked to people who had received the AstraZeneca vaccine, found around 39 in one million people with COVID are diagnosed with CVT, compared with 0.4 per million people who had not contracted the disease.

CVT was also found to be more common among people who received either the Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca COVID vaccines – at a rate of between 4–5 per million – meaning people with coronavirus are between 8–10 times more likely to develop the blood clots than those who have been vaccinated against it.

• Vintage 3

trust me, I know lol:    But I hear "well, 99.9% of healthy adults just get COVID and are fine"   or   "If I don't get COVID, then I'm fine"    

I'm like

"well, if it's a choice between getting COVID or getting a vaccine, I'm getting a vaccine"

18 minutes ago, LTC123 said:

trust me, I know lol:    But I hear "well, 99.9% of healthy adults just get COVID and are fine"   or   "If I don't get COVID, then I'm fine"    

I'm like

"well, if it's a choice between getting COVID or getting a vaccine, I'm getting a vaccine"

Whoever is saying that is absolutely wrong.

• Vintage 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021, 90.8% (4,207,832) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 87% (4,030,851) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.2% (3,944,285) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 87.5% (3,785,454) have received their second dose.

B.C. is reporting 468 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 214,150 cases in the province.

There are 3,345 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 208,284 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 355 individuals are currently in hospital and 110 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 173 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 1,220
  • 69 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 505
  • 85 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 612
  • 68 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 489
  • 72 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 460
  • one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 59

In the last 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,290.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: five
  • Interior Health: one
  • Northern Health: two
  • Island Health: one

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreak in the rehabilitation unit at Queen's Park Care Centre has been declared over, for a total of 21 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Queens Park Care Centre, Rosemary Heights Seniors Village, Tabor Home, Cascade Gardens, Maplewood House, George Derby Centre, Dufferin Care Centre (Fraser Health);
  • Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Village by the Station, Brocklehurst Gemstone Care Centre, Sun Pointe Village (Interior Health);
  • Peace Villa (Northern Health); and
  • Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence (Island Health).

acute care:

• Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Burnaby Hospital, Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health);
  • Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health); and
  • Nanaimo Regional General Hospital (Island Health).

assisted or independent living:

• Harrison Pointe, The Cedars and Revera Parkwood Manor (Fraser Health).

From Nov. 10-16, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 60.4% of cases.

From Nov. 3-16, they accounted for 70.3% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Nov. 10-16) – Total 2,897

• Not vaccinated: 1,612 (55.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 139 (4.8%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,146 (39.6%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Nov. 3-16) – Total 340

• Not vaccinated: 210 (61.8%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 29 (8.5%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 101 (29.7%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 10-16)    

• Not vaccinated: 205.9
  • Partially vaccinated: 59.4
  • Fully vaccinated: 26.0

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 3-16)

• Not vaccinated: 43.7
  • Partially vaccinated: 17.8
  • Fully vaccinated: 2.2

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,488,846 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0073-002201

• Thanks 1

VICTORIA - 

Health Canada is expected to approve the Pfizer vaccine for kids aged five to 11 in a decision that B.C's Health Minister confirms is imminent.

"It's our expectation that it's going to happen in the next 24 hours," said Health Minister Adrian Dix on Thursday afternoon.

"And then it requires the delivery of vaccine, and then we're going to proceed with our plan," he added

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/approval-of-covid-19-vaccines-for-kids-expected-imminently-b-c-health-minister-1.5672586

Apparently the flooding will impact delivery of the vaccine, but this is a much needed move in the fight against COVID.

Working in a school, it terrifies me that kids are unprotected.  It'll be such a relief.  

Austria to enter lockdown, make coronavirus vaccination mandatory

VIENNA -- Austria will go into a national lockdown to contain a fourth wave of coronavirus cases, Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg announced Friday, as new COVID-19 infections hit a record high amid a pandemic surge across Europe.

The lockdown will start Monday and initially will last for 10 days, Schallenberg said.

And starting Feb. 1, the country will also make vaccinations mandatory.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/austria-to-enter-lockdown-make-coronavirus-vaccination-mandatory-1.5672903

I believe the alternative to the mandatory vaccination is a mindbending fine. But don't quote me on that.

Europe is experiencing quite a resurgence. Germany has hit new highs in daily Covid-19 cases.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/approval-of-covid-19-vaccines-for-kids-expected-imminently-b-c-health-minister-1.5672586

Apparently the flooding will impact delivery of the vaccine, but this is a much needed move in the fight against COVID.

Working in a school, it terrifies me that kids are unprotected.  It'll be such a relief.  

My school has had several cases in the last 10 days.........of course no one bothered to inform those of us who work there.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

43 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Austria to enter lockdown, make coronavirus vaccination mandatory

VIENNA -- Austria will go into a national lockdown to contain a fourth wave of coronavirus cases, Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg announced Friday, as new COVID-19 infections hit a record high amid a pandemic surge across Europe.

The lockdown will start Monday and initially will last for 10 days, Schallenberg said.

And starting Feb. 1, the country will also make vaccinations mandatory.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/austria-to-enter-lockdown-make-coronavirus-vaccination-mandatory-1.5672903

I believe the alternative to the mandatory vaccination is a mindbending fine. But don't quote me on that.

Europe is experiencing quite a resurgence. Germany has hit new highs in daily Covid-19 cases.

Didn’t Germany have rather low vaccination rates for a while?

My wife and I got our booster on the 17th. She had chills and a headache for 24 hours, and I had the first reaction of the three doses that I've received, a headache for about 8 hours. The nurse recommended that we get the Moderna vaccine, so we did. Our first two were Pfizer. The setup at BCIT is amazing, 3 rows for vaccinations, and a row for testing. Elapsed time might have been 25 minutes.

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

My wife and I got our booster on the 17th. She had chills and a headache for 24 hours, and I had the first reaction of the three doses that I've received, a headache for about 8 hours. The nurse recommended that we get the Moderna vaccine, so we did. Our first two were Pfizer. The setup at BCIT is amazing, 3 rows for vaccinations, and a row for testing. Elapsed time might have been 25 minutes.

My dad got the moderns booster and a very strong reaction, but my mom got Pfizer and had no reaction at all

• Vintage 2