The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Friday, Oct. 29, 2021, 89.8% (4,163,572) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 85.0% (3,940,563) have received their second dose.

In addition, 90.3% (3,903,864) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 85.6% (3,703,431) have received their second dose.

B.C. is reporting 584 new cases of COVID-19, including 10 epi-linked cases, for a total of 204,914 cases in the province.

There are 4,982 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 197,396 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 436 individuals are in hospital and 156 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 232 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 2,115
  • 81 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 704
  • 85 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 684
  • 104 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 817
  • 82 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 603
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 59

In the past 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,156.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: three
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: two
  • Northern Health: two
  • Island Health: two

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks, for a total of 33 active outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum, Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village, Valleyhaven Retirement Community, Rosemary Heights Seniors Village, Tabor Home (Fraser Health);
  • Amica Lions Gate, Amica Edgemont (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre, Deni House (Interior Health); and
  • Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).

acute care:

• Mission Memorial Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Queen’s Park Care Centre (Fraser Health);
  • University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital and Bulkley Valley District Hospital (Northern Health).

assisted or independent living:

• Menno Terrace West, The Emerald at Elim Village, Swedish Assisted Living Residence, Harrison Pointe, Norman Manor, Pacific Carlton Seniors Community, Rideau Retirement Residence and Tabor Manor (Fraser Health).

There has been one new outbreak at Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre (Island Health).

From Oct. 21-27, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 65.1% of cases.

From Oct. 14-27, they accounted for 73.8% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Oct. 21-27) – Total 4,098

• Not vaccinated: 2,418 (59.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 252 (6.1%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,428 (34.8%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 14-27) – Total 469

• Not vaccinated: 317 (67.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 29 (6.2%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 123 (26.2%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 21-27)

• Not vaccinated: 296.9
  • Partially vaccinated: 84.5
  • Fully vaccinated: 33.2

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 14-27)

• Not vaccinated: 58.6
  • Partially vaccinated: 12.7
  • Fully vaccinated: 2.7

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,218,844 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0068-002076

Northern Health and Interior Health combined have close to the same number of positive cases as Fraser Health, which has probably double the population. That alone is alarming enough.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Northern Health and Interior Health combined have close to the same number of positive cases as Fraser Health, which has probably double the population. That alone is alarming enough.

These places have areas with significant low vaccination rates despite the lower population density.  Tons of MUHHHH FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! types.

• Like 1

CDC should sign off next week.  Shots in arms before American Thanksgiving.   2nd doses in the US before Xmas break?

Health Canada should be not long after.  Lot of 1st shots before Xmas break possibly in Canada. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/29/pfizer-covid-vaccine-fda-authorizes-for-kids-ages-5-to-11.html

FDA authorizes Pfizer’s Covid vaccine for kids ages 5 to 11, shots could begin early next week with CDC clearance

• The FDA on Friday authorized the use of Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine for children ages 5 to 11.
  • The move will make the shots available to 28 million kids in the U.S.
  • The CDC must sign off before shots can be distributed.
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, EOTM said:

Your victim complex is outstanding. Finland and sweden both resumed the use of Moderna. Nobody said that myocarditis wasn't a side effect of the vaccine  but as I implied earlier I will now just flat out call you a lying liarton liar and say that your story was BS. Dumb or corrupt is a not a great choice of people to be.

Wrong, Sweden and Finland have not continued use of Moderna for those under 30 years old.  If you can find an actual article you can call me a liar.  It seems you claim to have information to contradict my post?  Finally, you don't know me, you don't know my friends so your name calling is uncalled for.  

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-extends-pause-moderna-covid-vaccine-younger-age-groups-2021-10-21/

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, bolt said:

Wrong, Sweden and Finland have not continued use of Moderna for those under 30 years old.  If you can find an actual article you can call me a liar.  It seems you claim to have information to contradict my post?  Finally, you don't know me, you don't know my friends so your name calling is uncalled for.  

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sweden-extends-pause-moderna-covid-vaccine-younger-age-groups-2021-10-21/

But they have resumed the use of Moderna which is what I said MM.  In this case you aren't a liar you're just trying to argue semantics...again. You see with other options out there they have decided to lessen the risk even more. Again you're arguing for the safety of the use of vaccines. Even with such a low risk these countries are deciding to take steps to lessen that risk.

Lying is an action. If you don't like that then stop telling stories that should be easily to verify with some sort of legitimate citation.  I will totally apologize if you do though.

Edited by EOTM
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, bolt said:

What’s your view on this science?

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/579133-cdc-study-vaccination-offers-better-protection-than-previous-covid-19

Got my 2nd shot last week. A little fatigued but I don’t feel sick like some of the people I know said they were on their 2nd shot. 

It could mean I contracted COVID previously and was asymptotic though the first shot didn’t get me sick either. Got shots roughly 40 days apart. Could just be lucky. I am mid 20s and in decent shape. 

Both Pfizer. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Got my 2nd shot last week. A little fatigued but I don’t feel sick like some of the people I know said they were on their 2nd shot. 

It could mean I contracted COVID previously and was asymptotic though the first shot didn’t get me sick either. Got shots roughly 40 days apart. Could just be lucky. I am mid 20s and in decent shape. 

Both Pfizer. 

Probably just depends on the persons immune response.  Neither shot affected me much.

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Probably just depends on the persons immune response.  Neither shot affected me much.

My wife and son and myself had both shots. 

None of us had any side effects. 

My wife had a sore arm. 

Myself and my son couldn't even tell we got the shots. 

We had Moderna.

Same with the flu shots we all just got last week.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, though I was surprised to find out a reaction could be a good thing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-explainer-vaccine-side-effects-1.5950221

"If you have a vaccine that doesn't produce a reaction in people, the resulting immune response is weaker," said Earl Brown, a microbiologist at the University of Ottawa.

19 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

3325 workers for 2.6 percent.  I have a feeling that this number will go down

https://globalnews.ca/news/8340388/bc-health-care-workers-unvaccinated-update/

More than 3,000 unvaccinated health workers in B.C. on unpaid leave, Dix says

Offer them free one way tickets to Florida or Texas (who says Alberta can't come up with good ideas)?:P

• Cheers 1

B.C. finalizes proof of vaccination policy to protect workers:

As the largest single employer in the Province’s public sector, the Government of B.C. is safeguarding its workers, requiring that all direct government employees have the best defence against COVID-19 and variants by being fully vaccinated by Nov. 22, 2021.

Building on existing health and safety measures in provincial government workplaces, the proof of vaccination requirement will provide reassurance to public-service employees and the people they serve.

The policy applies to any employee working for the BC Public Service, regardless of whether the employee works on site or remotely. This also includes employees of any board, commission, agency, or organization to which the Public Service Act applies or whose employees are hired in accordance with the Public Service Act, unless their organization will have a comparable policy in place by Nov. 22.

Complementary to the new proof of vaccination policy, the existing BC Public Service Occupational Safety and Health Policy has been updated to require contractors and others accessing employee-only areas of indoor public-service workplaces to be fully vaccinated by Dec. 13, 2021. This does not apply to members of the public accessing government services.

Providing proof must be done by showing a digital or paper version of the BC Vaccine Card indicating the person has been fully vaccinated. Employees who do not provide proof of vaccination, or refuse to disclose their vaccination status by Nov. 22, 2021, will be considered unvaccinated.

While strong compliance is expected, BC Public Service employees who do not have at least one dose of the vaccine by Nov. 22, where there is not an approved exemption based on a medical condition or other legitimate grounds, will be placed on unpaid leave for three months.

Partially vaccinated employees – those who have received only one dose – may be offered alternative work arrangements and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination within 35 days of having received their first dose. Partially vaccinated employees who are not fully vaccinated within that timeline will be placed on unpaid leave.

Employees who are still unvaccinated after the three-month unpaid leave may be terminated.

The proof of vaccination policy will be in effect until public health concerns regarding COVID-19 are reduced to a level, prescribed by government, to enable workplaces to operate without restrictions or a vaccination requirement.

Implementing the proof of vaccination policy is part of provincewide efforts to continue to boost the B.C.’s vaccination rates. More than 85% of eligible British Columbians have been fully vaccinated.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021FIN0068-002083

• -SN- unpinned this topic