The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

60-2.  Way to go antivaxxers!  You’re dominating hospitalizations.  Be proud, be strong, be free, be dead.  Freedumb!  

I support this, at least for adults.

Singapore is 92% fully vaccinated BTW. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Kind of surprising their having their worst wave with such a high vaccination rate. Should probably go back into lockdown like Austria. 

That's a half a million unvaxxed people in Singapore, so there's a pretty big pool of hosts there.  Add to that vulnerable double vaxxed people etc and it probably doubles in size........not hard to see why they're concerned about their health care system.  We should be as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I support this, at least for adults.

Singapore is 92% fully vaccinated BTW. 

its a great idea. People that don't like it can go try to get insurance coverage for dangerous activities.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a half a million unvaxxed people in Singapore, so there's a pretty big pool of hosts there.  Add to that vulnerable double vaxxed people etc and it probably doubles in size........not hard to see why they're concerned about their health care system.  We should be as well.

I think it would also stress the importance of mandating 3rd doses (& in the future 4th/5th/6th) as the effectiveness wanes. 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

Add too that the antivaxxers tend to shun masks, washing hands, keeping distance, and other common sense health orders, and they create the perfect environment for illness to propagate.  I don’t think Canada would implement that antivaxxers pay for any Covid related healthcare, but we should.  These fools are what’s keeping the pandemic continuing.  Morons.  

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Add too that the antivaxxers tend to shun masks, washing hands, keeping distance, and other common sense health orders, and they create the perfect environment for illness to propagate.  I don’t think Canada would implement that antivaxxers pay for any Covid related healthcare, but we should.  These fools are what’s keeping the pandemic continuing.  Morons.  

Well it's the least amount of unvaxxed people they've ever had & the worst spike. Is there data on vaxxed v unvaxxed cases/deaths? I was trying to find some quickly but couldn't.

Stawns mentioned compromised double vaxxed & unvaxxed as a good pool, I'd add waning double vaxxed too.

I think this story stresses the important of booster shots. We should be expecting 2 shots a year for the next 3 years imo. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

32 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think it would also stress the importance of mandating 3rd doses (& in the future 4th/5th/6th) as the effectiveness wanes. 

It could very well be that three is the magic number for this innoculation, it could be all we need.  

Waning efficacy might not be the trap door we think it is either as we see whether B and T cells do their job upon infection.  

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02158-6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well it's the least amount of unvaxxed people they've ever had & the worst spike. Is there data on vaxxed v unvaxxed cases/deaths? I was trying to find some quickly but couldn't.

Stawns mentioned compromised double vaxxed & unvaxxed as a good pool, I'd add waning double vaxxed too.

I think this story stresses the important of booster shots. We should be expecting 2 shots a year for the next 3 years imo. 

The deaths and hospitalization numbers are frequently posted here.  It’s 60-2/100,000 hospitalizations unvaccinated vs vaccinated in the last two weeks.  Clearly the evidence is that the unvaccinated are driving the pandemic.  Getting vaccinated and following health orders is what is best for everyone. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

It could very well be that three is the magic number for this innoculation, it could be all we need.  

Waning efficacy might not be the trap door we think it is either as we see whether B and T cells do their job upon infection.  

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02158-6

Interesting read, thanks. Seems like the tide is headed that way, but I suppose when is still the question. I agree with them saying elderly & compromised should get them first. 

My concern comes from this study. Though participants skew older so maybe it won't be as necessary for younger population.

It'll be interesting to see the data & how much build up of B & T cells remain after #3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-11-04/study-shows-dramatic-decline-in-effectiveness-of-covid-19-vaccines%3f_amp=true

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The deaths and hospitalization numbers are frequently posted here.  It’s 60-2/100,000 hospitalizations unvaccinated vs vaccinated in the last two weeks.  Clearly the evidence is that the unvaccinated are driving the pandemic.  Getting vaccinated and following health orders is what is best for everyone. 

Those are the numbers for Singapore? 

53 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting read, thanks. Seems like the tide is headed that way, but I suppose when is still the question. I agree with them saying elderly & compromised should get them first. 

My concern comes from this study. Though participants skew older so maybe it won't be as necessary for younger population.

It'll be interesting to see the data & how much build up of B & T cells remain after #3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-11-04/study-shows-dramatic-decline-in-effectiveness-of-covid-19-vaccines%3f_amp=true

Ugur Sahin , CEO of Biontech (the company which created the Pfizer vaccine) said in an interview today, that it is likely that people need to re-new their vaccination every year. The efficacy is very high during a nine month period after the vaccination. This means that people are well protected against a severe COVID 19 illness. Efficacy begins to wane after the month 4. It's basically a cycle of B&T cells building up after the vaccination and then gradually building down over time.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We live in BC.  But are people in other parts of the world not people too?  

Get vaccinated and follow health orders.  It’s simple.  “Just do it”. 

I know, we've been doing this for near 2 years. I've been following the mandates.

I was simply asking about Singapore as I was curious, it is an interesting situation.

12 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Ugur Sahin , CEO of Biontech (the company which created the Pfizer vaccine) said in an interview today, that it is likely that people need to re-new their vaccination every year. The efficacy is very high during a nine month period after the vaccination. This means that people are well protected against a severe COVID 19 illness. Efficacy begins to wane after the month 4. It's basically a cycle of B&T cells building up after the vaccination and then gradually building down over time.

Sort of what I was suspecting. Perhaps I went overboard on 2 shots a year though.

Thanks for sharing, will be interesting to see how this plays out.

In the study I posted Pfizer & Moderna had dropped to around than 50% after 6 months, which is actually not bad, especially compared to J&J which was under 10%. The information in the article Stawns posted had different figures regarding Pfizer/Moderna after 6 months that were much more positive though.

Regardless what's more correct it seems like this is coming, I hope elderly & compromised that got jabbed earlier are looking into boosters now.

Be sure not to confuse getting vaccinated, having that vaccine wane; and getting covid:   with having the vaccine wane, getting covid, and ending up in the hospital.

Seems the protection from getting covid;  dies long before the protection of not being hospitalized with covid.